LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

1 hour ago, JohnnyBD said:

On March 25, 2024:

The exchange rate on X-rates.com was 36.362101.

My Citibank Thailand exchange rate was 36.255001.

Chase Bank wired USD to my Citi USD acct (no outgoing fee)

Converted USD from Citi USD acct to Citi THB acct (no incoming fee & no conversion fee)

So in theory it should be equal after fees. To be honest I seems quite rare that you did not pay any fee on a swift transactions i.e. getting the USD to your Thai account but Citibank one of the best banks in the world.image.thumb.png.4a1c6ca5422ab06e4126673b681e34fb.png

Edited by stat

3 hours ago, JohnnyBD said:

The DTV looks like a very good option for those on short-term visas having to do border runs. Also, some on retirement extensions may prefer the DTV, but I doubt very many on marriage extensions will change over. As for being a LTR WP visa holder, having to disclose my US Social Security & company pension information was not a concern at all. I am very happy with the LTR visa and with the tax benefits.

I redacted my social security, bank, brokerage and pension account numbers when I submitted my documents and they were accepted just fine.

Edited by 1tent42

Update to my requesting BOI bank assistance:  On Friday the BOI responded to my request for an appointment @ Bangkok Bank on Saturday.  BOI staff had forwarded my packet to BB and was waiting on confirmation of the appointment.  Later on Friday I received an email saying all was approved and my appointment was scheduled.

The next morning I went to BB and had to take a queue ticket even though I had an appointment.  After waiting for 45 minutes my turn in the queue was up.  When I sat down with the accounts person she checked my passport and then pulled out the packet from the BOI. I had to sign countless forms, have a picture taken, select 2 seperate PIN codes, pay THB 400 for the debit card, and make an initial deposit.  I'm not sure what the minimum deposit would have been because I was deposting enough money to cover the 2 month security deposit I will be paying the owner of the condo I have selected.

I also indicated that I would need online banking on both a computer and my phone.  The accounts person attempted to setup my BB app but I was receiving a "unable to verify mobile number" error and she said it was due to poor cell signal and to try again at home.  I am still unable to receive the SMS code needed to verify my account on the app and I even went to the AIS store to confirm they had assigned that simcard number to me in their system.  They had.  I have no idea why I cannot receive the SMS and do not think using the app is in my future.  I am able to logon to the BB site using my laptop, so as long as I can send money from BB to the condo owner I really have no need for the app.  The BB website lists at least 2 tabs for payments but I think one of them is only for paying certain companies that BB accepts.  Hopefully the other one will allow me to send funds to whatever banking instructions I receive.  I have also heard you can pay rent via the ATM or I would imagine actually going inside and talking to a bank person that they could do it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Lost Nomad said:

… I am able to logon to the BB site using my laptop, so as long as I can send money from BB to the condo owner I really have no need for the app.  …

Cybersecurity of the app is better than using the computer. You may be able to activate the app on a BB ATM.

On 7/17/2024 at 1:03 PM, oldcpu said:

I agree with that - except 5 years may be too late, ... and further the only addition I might have is a caution in the Royal Decree No.743 on the LTR visa, in Section-7 that states (unofficial English translation):

"Section 7 - In the case that a foreigner has applied tax reduction or exemption under this Royal Decree, and does not comply with the rules prescribed in Section 3, Section 4, Section 5 and Section 6, in any tax year, benefits will be suspended in that tax year."

That is rather punitive.

Note that 'section-6' (which is referred to in section-7 above) then states (again unofficial English translation):

"Section 6 - A foreigner who is entitled to the benefits under Section 3, Section 4, and Section 5 must meet qualifications and comply with rules, procedures, and conditions as prescribed by the Director-General of the Revenue Department."

Again, Section-3 and 4 refers to the "LTR High-Skilled Professional" and section-5 refers to "Wealthy Global Citzen, Wealthy Pensioner, and Work From Thailand Professional".

So very clearly Section-3 and Section-4 and Section-5  LTR-visa holders can run into problems if they do not comply with  rules, procedures, and conditions as prescribed by the Director-General of the Revenue Department.  I ask again, what are those rules, procedures, and conditions?

And again, Thailand Revenue Department has tuned its tax intepretation defining anyone in Thailand for 180 days and greater is considered a tax resident, which means they need to file a tax return on assesable income.  Thailand Revenue Department did NOT state LTR visa holders are exempt from following their rules.  There is nothing that states clearly that Section-5 (from Royal Decree) visa holders do not have to follow Thai Revenue Department rules, procedures nor conditions. Just the opposite is stated.

So if a Section-5 LTR Visa holder (ie LTR-WP, LTR-GC, or LTR-HSP) should not follow Thai Revenue Department rules, procedures nor conditions their tax benefits will be suspended in that tax year.  .... ie one could interpret that as saying they will then have to pay tax on their foreign income if they don't follow some rule (where I fear such could be something as basic as not filing an income tax return).

This is the thrust of my trying to figure this out and why I think it useful to try have this made very very clear. And that is why I am adopting the indirect approach I noted ...

Yes, I could turn a blind eye, stick my head in the sand, and indeed, it may work out fine just like I think we all hope it works out fine (as that was what we were lead to believe by BoI when we applied for the LTR Visa). ie No tax return !! No tax on foreign sourced income.  I do hope that. I want to blindly hope that.

But I don't like that "hope only" approach. So I am trying to very tactfully prod the Thai Revenue department, by applying for a Tax ID, and obtain something definitive from them.

I don't criticize those who put their faith 100% that there will be no tax return requirements for Section-5 LTR visa holders, as that is ALSO what I want.  

I just want to ensure we don't get impacted by Section-7's punitive clause because we had too much faith and believed in good faith we did not have to file a tax return.  

I will try to explore this as tactful as possible - and as noted - I may not succeed to get any clarity.

Yes, but also read the Thai tax laws about getting a tax ID number, which is a must prior to filling taxes and if one has no assessable income, one doesn't have to get an ID number nor file a tax form.  I only get a US government pension and by the DTA with Thailand that is taxable only by the US government which it has done since I began drawing on it 20+ years ago.  I too have an LTR and would be very interested in anythiing that the Revenue Department provides some clarity about this visa and others.  Would appreciate it greatly if you keep us informed of your progress in this matter.  Have a good day.

On 7/22/2024 at 6:03 PM, LivinLOS said:

Does anyone have a link to the royal decree enabling the LTR visa class ?? 

I dont mean the income tax exclusions, I have them saved, I mean the LTR. 

I am sure I saw it but dont seem to have archived it in my files. 

In the Thai RD webb site, it lists all the Royal Decrees

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Klonko said:

Cybersecurity of the app is better than using the computer. You may be able to activate the app on a BB ATM.

I'll take your word on that, I'm not a cybersecurity expert.  However, my thoughts are if I am using a VPN to access the BB site and keeping minimal funds in the account then my risk is not that great.  The plan is to pull cash from US bank using the Schwab ATM, depositing those funds into BB, and soon afterwards transferring funds to the landlord.  The BB account is just a passthrough so I have some sort of electronic trail proving rent was paid and on time.

5 hours ago, Presnock said:

Yes, but also read the Thai tax laws about getting a tax ID number, which is a must prior to filling taxes and if one has no assessable income, one doesn't have to get an ID number nor file a tax form.  I only get a US government pension and by the DTA with Thailand that is taxable only by the US government which it has done since I began drawing on it 20+ years ago.  I too have an LTR and would be very interested in anythiing that the Revenue Department provides some clarity about this visa and others.  Would appreciate it greatly if you keep us informed of your progress in this matter.  Have a good day.

My hope is no tax return will be needed.

Thus far, after the initial phone call from the Revenue Department, questioning my wife as to why I applied for a Tax ID (where RD initially stated a tax return not needed if I did not bring foreign income into Thailand - but they did not know my particulars with me being on an LTR visa), they have not phoned my wife back.

After their initial statement (no tax return needed if money is not brought into Thailand), recall my wife asked them a couple of further questions on the phone: (1) do I need to file a tax return in Thailand if on an LTR visa when bringing foreign income into Thailand while I also have no Thai income, and (2) at what point would I need to file a Thai tax return if my interest income (from Thai bonds/banks) reached a certain point. My wife also asked for a written statement if no tax return required.  The RD person stated they would check and call my wife back.

Thus far, the RD have not called my wife back - and given we are trying to be tactful about this, my wife has not (yet) called the RD back again.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

My hope is no tax return will be needed.

Thus far, after the initial phone call from the Revenue Department, questioning my wife as to why I applied for a Tax ID (where RD initially stated a tax return not needed if I did not bring foreign income into Thailand - but they did not know my particulars with me being on an LTR visa), they have not phoned my wife back.

After their initial statement (no tax return needed if money is not brought into Thailand), recall my wife asked them a couple of further questions on the phone: (1) do I need to file a tax return in Thailand if on an LTR visa when bringing foreign income into Thailand while I also have no Thai income, and (2) at what point would I need to file a Thai tax return if my interest income (from Thai bonds/banks) reached a certain point. My wife also asked for a written statement if no tax return required.  The RD person stated they would check and call my wife back.

Thus far, the RD have not called my wife back - and given we are trying to be tactful about this, my wife has not (yet) called the RD back again.

after all, TIT.  I do blv they are still arguing about the current program and other programs to come.  If the economy stays like this who knows what they will come up with.  Do appreciate your questions for the TRD as they are the same almost for me.  I only have a govt pension and the LTR so am not planning on getting a tax ID nor filing for taxes.  Have a good one

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lost Nomad said:

I'll take your word on that, I'm not a cybersecurity expert.  However, my thoughts are if I am using a VPN to access the BB site and keeping minimal funds in the account then my risk is not that great.  The plan is to pull cash from US bank using the Schwab ATM, depositing those funds into BB, and soon afterwards transferring funds to the landlord.  The BB account is just a passthrough so I have some sort of electronic trail proving rent was paid and on time.

Believe me....you want to get the Bangkok Bank mbanking app working.  It provides more security than their current ibanking, more electronic banking options, makes banking easier, etc...etc....etc.  Plus, Thai banks are slowly drifting towards getting rid of ibanking in favor of only offering mbanking.   KrungThai Bank and SCB have already discontinued ibanking....only mbanking now available.

Use of a VPN provides practically zero extra security because when logging onto ibanking it uses HTTPS which means a Secure/encrypted connection.  By using VPN you are only doing another encrpytion "around" the already encrpted HTTPS connection...and this VPN encryption is only between you and the VPN server....not between the VPN server and the site you are connection go such as the Bangkok Bank ibaning site.  

You'll be sorry later if you don't get the mbaning working....it may be months or years from now but you will be sorry.  

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I would like to get it working, but am at a loss of what more I can do if it doesn't start to work in a few days.  I sent an email to the BB mobile banking help desk, but just got back a form letter that didn't address my issue.  If it's a phone issue, it's the only app that I've installed for Thailand that is not working.  I don't want to buy a new phone just to have BB mbanking.

As far as security is concerned, IF the ATM allows Transfers to 3rd parties and I can enter the bank/account number of my landlord then that seems a pretty safe option.  I have no idea if the ATM allows this, but I'll see what I can find when at an ATM with no queue behind me.

To keep this somewhat LTR related, my next possible use for the BOI office is the BOI assistance in getting a Residency Certificate to get a DL.  I'm not in BKK so if I need to report in person (seems like it) the only way I'd do that is if I can also go to the DLT in BKK to get my license, even though I live several hours away.  Probably easier to just go to my local IO and get the RC.

Edited by Lost Nomad

16 minutes ago, Lost Nomad said:

To keep this somewhat LTR related, my next possible use for the BOI office is the BOI assistance in getting a Residency Certificate to get a DL.  I'm not in BKK so if I need to report in person (seems like it) the only way I'd do that is if I can also go to the DLT in BKK to get my license, even though I live several hours away.  Probably easier to just go to my local IO and get the RC.

First check with your local/nearby immigration office to get a residence certificate.   If for some reason they refuse then just go to BOI/Chamchuri Sq Immigration Office to get one....costs Bt500 and takes approx 1 hour....no appointment needed...just walk in.  

28 minutes ago, Lost Nomad said:

I would like to get it working, but am at a loss of what more I can do if it doesn't start to work in a few days.  I sent an email to the BB mobile banking help desk, but just got back a form letter that didn't address my issue.  If it's a phone issue, it's the only app that I've installed for Thailand that is not working.  I don't want to buy a new phone just to have BB mbanking.

As long as your phone is not jail broken and if using an Android phone running Android 8 or higher your phone is good to go for use with Bangkok  Bank app.  Can't speak to the requirement for an Apple phone.

What the bank branch rep said about a weak mobile signal probably causing the unable to verify number error message is laughable answer.

The problem is on the Bangkok Bank end...something not fully setup on their end....maybe some typo...maybe needing a few more working days for the setup to be fully completed.  If you can't get working by end of day 1 July I recommend you "call" the Bangkok Bank Central main help number to work the issue.  Email works fine for some issues but sucks for other issues.

6 hours ago, Pib said:

Believe me....you want to get the Bangkok Bank mbanking app working.  It provides more security than their current ibanking, more electronic banking options, makes banking easier, etc...etc....etc

Easier, my a--! Since I had cataract surgery, with the multifocus lens emplacement, the only time I have to put on reading glasses is -- when I want to read what's on my darn cell phone! Then, when I have to type something on that stupid phone, my fat fingers hit the wrong tiny key -- and in some situations, I can't find the reverse function key to override. I just want that stupid instrument to answer, or make, phone calls.

Alternatively, sitting in my comfortable office chair, in front of a large monitor, with a full sized qwerty keyboard and mouse -- what could be better than that, in doing my banking business? Yes, I guess, with a cell phone I could sit in a food court, in a plastic chair, and do my banking business. But why would I want to?

Anyway, hope BB realizes they have a target market with geezers like me, who don't like cell phones for other than talking. But why, if the cell phone mbanking software is so superior, can't this software be adapted for use on PC and laptops? What am I missing with such a simple question? Certainly, I could adapt to any new software -- but please let me sit in my comfortable chair, in front of a large screen and keyboard. Sigh.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Pib said:

Believe me....you want to get the Bangkok Bank mbanking app working.  It provides more security than their current ibanking, more electronic banking options, makes banking easier, etc...etc....etc.  Plus, Thai banks are slowly drifting towards getting rid of ibanking in favor of only offering mbanking.   KrungThai Bank and SCB have already discontinued ibanking....only mbanking now available.

Use of a VPN provides practically zero extra security because when logging onto ibanking it uses HTTPS which means a Secure/encrypted connection.  By using VPN you are only doing another encrpytion "around" the already encrpted HTTPS connection...and this VPN encryption is only between you and the VPN server....not between the VPN server and the site you are connection go such as the Bangkok Bank ibaning site.  

You'll be sorry later if you don't get the mbaning working....it may be months or years from now but you will be sorry.  

Pib, am curious about the lack of security of BBL ibanking. Is that specific to BBL only, or do you think phone banking is safer than ibanking across the board?  BBL is my company's bank and I can't see how I'd use phone banking for corporate tasks.  A couple of my friends have lost money using phone banking (not necessarily BBL), but haven't heard of same for ibanking.  I'm probably more like @JimGant - my phone is just a phone.  

2 minutes ago, Misty said:

Pib, am curious about the lack of security of BBL ibanking. Is that specific to BBL only, or do you think phone banking is safer than ibanking across the board?  BBL is my company's bank and I can't see how I'd use phone banking for corporate tasks.  A couple of my friends have lost money using phone banking (not necessarily BBL), but haven't heard of same for ibanking.  I'm probably more like @JimGant - my phone is just a phone.  

The main reason ibanking in Thailand (not just Bangkok Bank) is 2 Factor Authorizaiton (2FA) for logon is not required....just need your User ID and Password.  But with mbanking 2FA is used via use of a PIN code in addition to User ID and PW.   Plus your phone is basically "fingerprinted" hardware-wise by the mbanking to make account access more secure...can only log onto your mbanking acct from that phone.  With ibanking you can logon from any computer on Earth...to include the hacker that somehow got your User ID and PW.  

However, but, anyone's bank account can be hacked when they do not guard their User ID, password, and PIN like it's Fort Knox which unfortunately too many people seem to be nonchalant about.   Or malware gets on thier compuber or phone which steals bank logon credentials.

Personally, I have no doubt that Thai banks will continue to drift away from ibanking if nothing else to only have one system to maintain/keep secure....plus, many Thai's don't have computers---but they sure have mobile phones!!  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

The main reason ibanking in Thailand (not just Bangkok Bank) is 2 Factor Authorizaiton (2FA) for logon is not required....just need your User ID and Password.  But with mbanking 2FA is used via use of a PIN code in addition to User ID and PW.   Plus your phone is basically "fingerprinted" hardware-wise by the mbanking to make account access more secure...can only log onto your mbanking acct from that phone.  With ibanking you can logon from any computer on Earth...to include the hacker that somehow got your User ID and PW.  

However, but, anyone's bank account can be hacked when they do not guard their User ID, password, and PIN like it's Fort Knox which unfortunately too many people seem to be nonchalant about.   Or malware gets on thier compuber or phone which steals bank logon credentials.

Personally, I have no doubt that Thai banks will continue to drift away from ibanking if nothing else to only have one system to maintain/keep secure....plus, many Thai's don't have computers---but they sure have mobile phones!!  

Thanks, Pib, understood. I have 2 Factor on all my financial accounts, couldn't login otherwise.  Agreed that you have to be very careful in any event.

Phones unfortunately can get malware too.  A friend was phished, downloaded malware, and had fairly high amount taken from their account (limit had been increased temporarily to facilitate a particular transaction).  People are accustomed to clicking or swiping on anything that comes on their phone, including fake messages containing malware.  Unfortunately QR codes can be faked too, and take the user to a site with malware. 

My Android 11 phone is not jailbroken and the first thing I checked was the minimum requirements (Android 8).  I'm undecided if I want to deal with Chonburi DLT which requires a trip out there to schedule an appointment and then come back days or weeks later to actually process through the DLT.  If I can get to the BOI early, pay 500 to get same day RC, then I can head to Area 3 DLT which is just off the BTS route.  I would also like to schedule a doctor visit in BKK so it would be a long but productive day.

11 hours ago, Pib said:

The main reason ibanking in Thailand (not just Bangkok Bank) is 2 Factor Authorizaiton (2FA) for logon is not required....just need your User ID and Password.  But with mbanking 2FA is used via use of a PIN code in addition to User ID and PW.

Beg to disagree. BB has 2FA at the transaction level.  When you record a new payee they send a PIN to your mobile this is level 2 (prove you OWN a given object), while level 1  is confirmed when yo log in (prove you KNOW the password). Other payments, etc,, require PIN confirmation as well.

But is true that they (try to) achieve the third level (prove who you ARE) with the face  recognition. But it just doesn't work for me, and others, so I can't have mobile banking, at the moment. 

It doesn't work for ,any reason's:

a) I use and Iphone SE, which doesn't give enough light,

b) I have a rather stiff neck, so I can't hold the phone still while turning my head,

c) I have droopy eyelids,

d) I am not Thai, don't base my status on fake smiles,

e) now I just get angry when I get near the thing.

These idiots seem to have tested their crappy software, using an Iphone Pro Max, on a dozen of lellow faces, all in the same age group. This piece of manure needs to be entirely retested, taking into account ethnic origin, age group, disability, and terminals used. The list of validated terminals should be available to the public.

Bunch of effing amateurs...

12 hours ago, Misty said:

Thanks, Pib, understood. I have 2 Factor on all my financial accounts, couldn't login otherwise.  Agreed that you have to be very careful in any event.

Phones unfortunately can get malware too.  A friend was phished, downloaded malware, and had fairly high amount taken from their account (limit had been increased temporarily to facilitate a particular transaction).  People are accustomed to clicking or swiping on anything that comes on their phone, including fake messages containing malware.  Unfortunately QR codes can be faked too, and take the user to a site with malware. 

I’ve had so many calls lately from scammers.   They all start with +69.   When I demand they speak English to me they quickly hang up.   I don’t click on anything from anyone I don’t know but there are lots of scams going on.  Even my Australian Credit Card was fraudulently used.   And I hardly ever use it.  Bank cancelled and sent me a new one.  Be safe folks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/26/2024 at 7:12 PM, JohnnyBD said:

Pib, if you don't mind me asking, does Bangkok Bank allow online conversions from a FCD USD acct to THB acct? My banks, UOB, SCB & Kasikorn do not allow. I have to go into the bank when I want to convert USD in my USD acct to my THB acct. Citibank used to allow online conversions, but since UOB bought them, UOB does not. Thanks. 

I've been holding an USD account with Bangkok bank for around 7 years and I can confirm the online conversion from USD to THB is possible only during business hours though and only through the online account and not with the Bangkok bank phone app. My last conversion was done around 6 months ago.

3 hours ago, John207 said:

I've been holding an USD account with Bangkok bank for around 7 years and I can confirm the online conversion from USD to THB is possible only during business hours though and only through the online account and not with the Bangkok bank phone app. My last conversion was done around 6 months ago.

Thanks. I just opened my USD acct with BKB this morning.

Edited by JohnnyBD

It seems every bank has slightly different rules. I recently opened some accts with SCB, and they converted THB directly from my THB acct to open my USD acct, but Bangkok Bank required me to deposit USD notes, so I had to go get USD from SuperRich to open my new USD acct. So, it took me 2 trips to BKB to open my accts.

55 minutes ago, JohnnyBD said:

It seems every bank has slightly different rules. I recently opened some accts with SCB, and they converted THB directly from my THB acct to open my USD acct, but Bangkok Bank required me to deposit USD notes, so I had to go get USD from SuperRich to open my new USD acct. So, it took me 2 trips to BKB to open my accts.

If I remember well, since I opened both THB and USD account at the same time, by handing them over a couple of thousand baht, they converted some of it into USD and they opened both accounts without me requiring to do anything else.

Around 5 years ago one of the employee at the same branch, told me that the plan of having online banking transfer of USD going out of Thailand was on the pipeline and soon was going to be implemented for all the FCD holders. So no more trips to the bank spending 20 minutes to fill in forms should one require to transfer out of the country. Still waiting though! That would be putting BBL to a similar level of Western banks in terms of foreign cash transactions.

Edited by John207

4 hours ago, John207 said:

If I remember well, since I opened both THB and USD account at the same time, by handing them over a couple of thousand baht, they converted some of it into USD and they opened both accounts without me requiring to do anything else

Lucky you. BBL now requires a $1,000 deposit to open a new USD acct, and they required me to deposit USD notes only. They wouldn't let me convert THB and wouldn't accept THB over the counter in exchange for USD. SCB had no problem converting my THB to USD to open my new USD acct just a few weeks ago, and they only required $300 initial deposit. Just an extra hoop to jump through.

Edited by JohnnyBD