LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

16 hours ago, stuarty said:

I received my BoI letter today with approval letter (i.e. no further documents needed to be submitted).  The letter said the approval is valid for 10 years to October 2032. There is no mention in the letter of having to apply  for LTR visa (in my case evisa at London Consulate) within a certain time from receipt of the letter. Does anyone know the position on this?

Also there is no mention of my spouse in the approval letter, only me, even although full details for her were provided in my application.  Anyone got the same, and/or know how the wife would make her application for the visa?

Below is a screenshot where a spouse could register for an account and apply for the visa.  Click on the LTR "O" button and it gives the list of documents:

image.png.76ad02f5b5600c9174353aa3351d07ae.png

• Like 2

Finally could get someone on the phone this morning.

In summary, they're  still having "IT system glitches" so apparently I can't book appointment online yet. After checking my case number, the BOI representative confirmed I've been approved on Sept 15th and "manually" booked my appointment for next week to affix the LTR visa sticker. Just need to bring 2 passport size pictures with white background and copy of my existing visa and last entry stamp.

My advise is whatever documents/letters you've been able to download on the LTR website after approval, best to double confirm directly with BOI on the phone, otherwise you may waste a trip to Chamchuri Square like I did.

Edited by BKKNono
  • Thanks 2

Have someone applied for the Work-from-Thailand-Professional category? What documents are needed if the company is publicly listed on the stock market - do we still need to provide something for "Audited corporate’s annual financial statement or financial report" or that is not required?

By the way the topic of this post is incorrect. It should be Long Term Resident Visa and not Retirement. It would be nice if moderators can change it because it is misleading.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alldar said:

Have someone applied for the Work-from-Thailand-Professional category? What documents are needed if the company is publicly listed on the stock market - do we still need to provide something for "Audited corporate’s annual financial statement or financial report" or that is not required?

By the way the topic of this post is incorrect. It should be Long Term Resident Visa and not Retirement. It would be nice if moderators can change it because it is misleading.

Unfortunately don't know the answer to the first question. Agreed on the need for a name change. I'd asked a moderator to do this, but apparently only the person who started the topic can ask for a name change, and he hadn't asked for it.

• Thanks 1

Has anyone made an appointment to receive the "digital work permit" yet?  Or even better, received a digital work permit?  What is the process for getting the work permit, what does it look like, and how long did it take to get? 

4 minutes ago, Alldar said:

I did and what I provided is a consolidated financial statement for the past 3 years signed off by our auditor (one of the Big Four accounting firm). My company is private though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BKKNono said:

I did and what I provided is a consolidated financial statement for the past 3 years signed off by our auditor (one of the Big Four accounting firm). My company is private though.

Well for private company it's clear that you have to provide something. But for companies listed on stock markets financial details are publicly available. It is very nice that your company provided that though. Are you still waiting for approval? Can you please share details later what is required for the work permit application?

Edited by Alldar
typo

1 minute ago, Alldar said:

Well for private company it's clear that you have to provide something. But for companies listed on stock markets financial details are publicly available. It is very nice that your company provided that though. Are you still waiting for approval? Can you please share details later what is required for the work permit application?

Not sure about the work permit as I didn't apply for it, I had my approval for WFTP about 3 weeks ago. Others who have been approved may have more details about the WP requirements.

5 minutes ago, BKKNono said:

Not sure about the work permit as I didn't apply for it, I had my approval for WFTP about 3 weeks ago. Others who have been approved may have more details about the WP requirements.

So you have WFTP visa without work permit? Is that even allowed? I thought if you will be working from Thailand it is required.

35 minutes ago, ashkale said:

The work permit is required if you plan on working with a Thai company. Work From Thailand is for the work from anywhere professional.

So if you work online just for company located abroad (which is required for this WFTP visa) then you don't need work permit? Are you sure about this? I have seen a few times stated that even this is not possible without a work permit.

9 hours ago, Alldar said:

So you have WFTP visa without work permit? Is that even allowed? I thought if you will be working from Thailand it is required.

WFTP applicants do not qualify for, or require, work permits.

WFTP is for working for foreign companies. Work permits only for working for Thai companies. 

Work permits are for Highly Skilled Professional categories.

Dependants of other categories are apparently allowed to apply for work permits if they get employment in Thailand. 

16 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

WFTP applicants do not qualify for, or require, work permits.

Well I won't argue with you. If that is the case it would be actually good news.

But it would also mean that you can work online from Thailand for overseas companies without a work permit with other visa types too. And this was discussed many times before and the conclusion was that officially you cannot do that. Just few days ago someone was posting that he was checking if he can do this with Elite visa and he couldn't.

27 minutes ago, Alldar said:

Well I won't argue with you. If that is the case it would be actually good news.

But it would also mean that you can work online from Thailand for overseas companies without a work permit with other visa types too. And this was discussed many times before and the conclusion was that officially you cannot do that. Just few days ago someone was posting that he was checking if he can do this with Elite visa and he couldn't.

The Thai elite card/visa is a tourist visa.  Like other tourist visas, working isn't permitted (for either Thai company or foreign company).

But unlike Thai elite, the new LTR visas are not tourist visas. They do allow the recipient to work.  At least some categories allow working for a Thai company with a digital work permit that's good for 5+5 years, no Thai employees required. 

It's not clear to me how many of them (all? only some? ) may separately allow the LTR holder to work for a foreign company, or maybe be self-employed.  At first it sounded like all of them would.  Now it's not clear if only a couple do.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Misty said:

The Thai elite card/visa is a tourist visa.  Like other tourist visas, working isn't permitted (for either Thai company or foreign company).

My understanding was that visa is not enough to conduct any type of work from Thailand, hence you need a work permit to conduct work.

Non-O marriage visa is not a tourist visa, do they officially allow remote work for overseas companies without a work permit?

I know it wasn't possible to get work permit if you are not working for a Thai company that's why it was always a gray zone.

1 hour ago, Alldar said:

My understanding was that visa is not enough to conduct any type of work from Thailand, hence you need a work permit to conduct work.

Non-O marriage visa is not a tourist visa, do they officially allow remote work for overseas companies without a work permit?

I know it wasn't possible to get work permit if you are not working for a Thai company that's why it was always a gray zone.

Yes, that's my understanding in terms of visas like NonB and NonO marriage visas - these visas by themselves are not enough to work in Thailand. You also need a work permit.  In order to work in Thailand I've held the NonB visa and work permit with annual extensions for nearly 30 years, up until now and the new LTR program.

It is also my understanding that neither NonB nor NonO marriage allow remote work for overseas companies.  People with these types of visas may do so, but legally it's not allowed. Also any income earned would be considered "Thai-sourced" and reportable and taxable in Thailand.

I don't think it's really a grey zone in terms of what the law allows in terms of these visas, just in terms of enforcement.

The new LTR program is different in many ways from the NonB/NonO marriage + work permit combinations. Many of the differences have been clearly outlined, some less so. But at least some of the new LTR program categories do seem to allow working for foreign companies.

But which of the LTR categories require a "digital work permit" isn't clear, at least to me.  I know I do, since I will be working for my Thai company. Some of the others may not. Adding to the confusion is that the digital work permits aren't being issued yet (apparently the system isn't ready).

Perhaps this will be more clear once BOI/One Stop Service begins to issue digital work permits.  This is expected to begin later this month.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I would.  I called this morning and confirmed mine.  Then downloaded the two forms and completed them.  I just returned from having my photos taken.  Everything is copied and ready for my appointment tomorrow.  I will report back then.  I know someone was going to pop in today, maybe they will report back.

Here are links to the two needed forms.

https://ltr.boi.go.th/documents/TM94_Form_Immigration.pdf

https://ltr.boi.go.th/documents/STM8_Immigration.pdf

Thanks for the forms.

Will make appointment after i uploaded my updated insurance. Boi accidentally gave me the notification letter which they later retracted (i did downloaded it before they removed it) 

I just think it is interesting that my 10 years visa started on my preapproval email and not when they issue the visa stamp nor when i submit my insurance. So clock is ticking i guess .

25 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

Thanks for the forms.

Will make appointment after i uploaded my updated insurance. Boi accidentally gave me the notification letter which they later retracted (i did downloaded it before they removed it) 

I just think it is interesting that my 10 years visa started on my preapproval email and not when they issue the visa stamp nor when i submit my insurance. So clock is ticking i guess .

Just a glitch in the system.  I will be headed out after lunch for my Visa sealing into my passport and will post more this evening.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

Thanks for the forms.

Agreed with @ThailandRyan , call BOI to confirm your appointment and what document(s) they want you to bring. Don't rely on the website as they still haven't fixed the glitches.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, BKKNono said:

Agreed with @ThailandRyan , call BOI to confirm your appointment and what document(s) they want you to bring. Don't rely on the website as they still haven't fixed the glitches.

The program still shows I am pre-approved and I can not obtain the certificate from using the 3 dots to the far right.  I was told I would be given the certificate at my appointment as it is needed at some point in the process, not sure where but maybe when I head to the Immigration side to get the passport entry stamped for the time period of 1 year.  Like I said I will fill folks in later today.  I can't believe that I will be the first one doing this here at the BOI One Stop Center, and wonder how there processing went.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BKKNono said:

Well I did this process on Sep 22nd and was told to go home... (Lesson learned from not calling them to confirm)

But if you have confirmed on the phone your appointment then it should be ok. I have confirmed mine for Tuesday and was told to just bring the TM94 / STM8 forms and 2 recent pictures + passport.

Same thing I was told when I set the appointment on Tuesday and then confirmed it by a phone call yesterday.  Appointment is for this afternoon after lunch.

• Like 1

Received phone call informing me that my application has been approved but no letter as of yet.  This resolves the question whether they would accept a retirement account instead of a bank account.

I have Pacific Cross health insurance but rather than wait until it renews in January I chose to use the financial assets option, thus unlinking health insurance and immigration.  This allows me to have insurance protect my assets and serve as a major medical policy

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Good afternoon to you all,

Today I was able to obtain my LTRWP Visa at the One Stop Center in the Chamchuri Square building on the 18th floor. Total time from start to finish was one hour and 30 minutes.

I was only the 15th person to be issued the LTR Visa, and that's apparently for all categories. 

If your using the BOI One Stop Center in BKK you will go to the LTR side first on the 18th floor.  AFter you check in at the front desk they will have your case agent and another person come out and meet you.  The LTR side is very plush compared to the immigration side.

After they review the paperwork you bring with you, don't forget your photo, they will stamp everything and then have you sign it. Please use this time to ask any questions you may have for them.  You will then be walked back across the hall to immigration where they will hand the Immigration officer at Window 11 the paperwork.  Immigration will then process the paperwork at Window 11, as well as taking your photo, and once they have everything processed they will hand you a stack of papers, which you will then take to WIndow 20, where you will pay. 

After you are given the receipt from Window 20 you will be given the paperwork back and you will go back to window 11.  Hand them the stack and your receipt and then have a seat.  In about 10 minutes or so they will call you back up and you will be given your passport with the 10 year Visa Stamp on one side and on the other You will see you have been stamped in for 5 uears, and also have a stamp indicating that you have a multiple re-entry stamp also good for 5 years. 

As you can see by the photo below at Window 20 payment can only be done by a QR code scan.

20221007_134357.jpg

This is only from a Thai bank and I think this might be an issue for some.  TTB Bank and UOB Bank are also not accepted. 

I remember back in the US I had to pay by a cashiers check at the LA Consulate.  I wonder if that would work here.  Something to think of and ask the LTR Unit.  I did not think of it, sorry.

Wishing you all the best of luck in your process, and hopefully they get the digital work permits fixed.  I did ask them about that and they are still dealing with system glitches.

TR

Ryan, Big Congratulations to you! Thank you again for posting all the important details - both now at completion, and also along the way.  It's good to know about the required payment method. I'll have to get a Thai bank app, unless a credit or debit card will work.

Also, it's excellent that the passport stamps make it clear the LTR visa is for 10 years,  with a 5 year multiple re-entry.

On the digital work permits, we heard from a different source today that "the system between the BOI and Labor Dept has not yet been completed."  Further, the estimated completion time is "end of month" (but source was not sure which month - the source thought maybe Nov, but acknowledged it could be Oct : )  -  (Side note: BOI previously said in a phone call it should be end of October, and hopefully that is still correct.)

Our source also said that not to worry if digital work permits aren't ready until the end of Nov because  "LTR visa holders can work even if they don't have work permits."  I'll try to get further verification from the BOI directly on this point, especially if the digital work permits won't be ready until end of Nov.

• Thanks 1