LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

4 hours ago, mudcat said:

activate the visa in Bangkok.  

I thought we could go to our local Imm office to activate....? If LTR requires a trip to Bangkok, no thanks. Two hours to renew my current retirement extension at Chiang Mai Imm beats a roundtrip, with possible night overstay, to Bangkok -- not to mention peeing in a cup while in gridlock traffic.

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just checked the status of my application still in processing, but since I submitted my new PCH HI policy last Wednesday, the bottom buttons now on page 4 are now gone and there is no way to submit any new documents.  Seems it is in the final review process, keeping my fingers crossed I hear something back by the 22nd which is 20 actual days from when submitted, if you go by a 5 day work week then the 20 days would be the 30th,  I also can not change any items in the fields on any of the pages now as well.

Seems to be 20 working days from initial submission. BoI sends out an email saying the date to hear from them, and it was exactly 20 working days. And some final items (photo & health insurance) can be submitted up to 60 days after that approval date, to get the final approval letter.

It sounds like you've already submitted health insurance and all other documents, so maybe you'll get the letter right away.

Screenshot of "Application Process" page from website: https://ltr.boi.go.th/#app

image.png.f45cfa354febb3621ebbba9461796019.png

24 minutes ago, Misty said:

Seems to be 20 working days from initial submission. BoI sends out an email saying the date to hear from them, and it was exactly 20 working days. And some final items (photo & health insurance) can be submitted up to 60 days after that approval date, to get the final approval letter.

It sounds like you've already submitted health insurance and all other documents, so maybe you'll get the letter right away.

Screenshot of "Application Process" page from website: https://ltr.boi.go.th/#app

image.png.f45cfa354febb3621ebbba9461796019.png

Just reviewed the e-mail they sent me back on September 5th after accepting the application for review which I had submitted on the 2nd.  They then requested the Photo be submitted and an updated HI policy which I also submitted.  Here is what the very bottom of the e-mail said:

"If no additional evidence is requested, you will be notified of the result on September 30, 2022 (decision timeframes will take 20 working days from September 5, 2022 excluding weekends and public holidays). "

Looks like I need to read the bottom of my e-mails more often.....lol, so I have 13 days to go unless they notify me earlier.

30 minutes ago, JimGant said:

I thought we could go to our local Imm office to activate....? If LTR requires a trip to Bangkok, no thanks. Two hours to renew my current retirement extension at Chiang Mai Imm beats a roundtrip, with possible night overstay, to Bangkok -- not to mention peeing in a cup while in gridlock traffic.

You could use e-visa platform:

Once the applicants obtain a qualification endorsement letter from Thailand Board of Investment (BOI), the applicant can apply for the Long -Term Resident Visa (LTR) through our e-visa platform.

https://thaievisa.go.th/ltr-visa

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Initial entry? That is an interesting subject....most Visa's once issued need to have you enter the country within a certain time frame.

My assumption that the initial entry needs to be before the expiry date of the visa is based on two considerations:

1. Every Thai visa ever issued in the past has worked that way. That includes the O-A and O-X visas, and the multiple entry Non Immigrant visas (such as the Non O).
  2. There has been no suggestion by the Thai authorities that the rules in this respect will be any different with the new visas.

Certainly, other countries have very different policies on visas, but Thailand has its way of working. In most countries, there is no distinction between a long term visa and a permission to stay, but these are distinct from each other in Thailand. Similarly, there is no concept of "use it or lose it" in Thailand, except for permanent residence.

On 9/4/2022 at 6:21 PM, Northwest87 said:

Would the US insurer consent to write a statement to the effect that the policy will cover a US$50K, or better yet $100K (the statement is still true) medical bill incurred in Thailand?

I'm also with AFSPA, and the cover email for the letter they sent to me ended with this:

"Note: This letter is a standard letter used by our AFSPA members for overseas travel and Covid coverage and cannot be customized.

On 9/14/2022 at 1:57 AM, TerraplaneGuy said:

Well if you want to think of it that way, fine.   You're using the word "apply" in a pretty informal way.

His use of "apply" is legally correct. If you look at websites from the US State Department or US Embassies, for example, they will state clearly that a visa only gives you permission to "apply" for admission at a port of entry, and that the final admissibility decision will be made by an immigration officer. 

On 9/14/2022 at 1:57 AM, TerraplaneGuy said:

You seem to think you've applied for (and paid for) nothing more than "the right to apply" to an airport officer.  That would suggest the officer is the one exercising executive decision-making and may well stamp you in for say 2 weeks despite your having a one-year visa, just cause he feels like it. 

That is, in fact, exactly the case for most countries, including Thailand. There are a few countries (like Vietnam, I believe) where immigration officers are more or less bound by what's on the visa, but in most nations the officers at the border have wide latitude to determine whether to admit you, and for how long.

You are correct, however, that as a practical matter the decision at the airport will usually match what is on the visa, and variance from that will be relatively rare. 

32 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

His use of "apply" is legally correct. If you look at websites from the US State Department or US Embassies, for example, they will state clearly that a visa only gives you permission to "apply" for admission at a port of entry, and that the final admissibility decision will be made by an immigration officer. 

That is, in fact, exactly the case for most countries, including Thailand.

This has been discussed many times in the forum, and I freely admit that my reading of the Immigration Act is not accepted by everyone here. A literal (and IMHO intended) reading of the Immigration Act indicates that immigration officials are obliged to admit or deny entry to those with visas only according to reasons specified in Section 12 of the Act.

You are, of course, correct that this is not true in most other countries where officials have wide discretion on those to be denied entry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khunjeff said:

I'm also with AFSPA, and the cover email for the letter they sent to me ended with this:

"Note: This letter is a standard letter used by our AFSPA members for overseas travel and Covid coverage and cannot be customized.

But what does the letter state?

2 hours ago, khunjeff said:

That is, in fact, exactly the case for most countries, including Thailand. There are a few countries (like Vietnam, I believe) where immigration officers are more or less bound by what's on the visa, but in most nations the officers at the border have wide latitude to determine whether to admit you, and for how long.

You are correct, however, that as a practical matter the decision at the airport will usually match what is on the visa, and variance from that will be relatively rare. 

It may help that LTR visa holders can access "Fast Track Service at International Airports," as per LTR website https://ltr.boi.go.th/#pri  image.png.31e171554313ed235a2dcb1f8763eefb.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Northwest87 said:

But what does the letter state?

"This letter is in response to your request for verification of health insurance coverage with the Foreign Service Benefit Plan (FSBP).

Our records indicate you are currently enrolled in a Self Only (401) policy effective January 1, 1989.

Coverage under the FSBP is world-wide, including your stay in Thailand. Your policy provides benefits for medical expenses, including but not limited to physician consults, diagnostic procedures, physical therapy,

emergency medical treatment and hospitalization. The policy also provides coverage for mental health and substance abuse treatment and prescription medication. There are no pre-existing conditions or dollar limit

on the policy although certain benefits (for instance, physical therapy, chiropractic, home health) are limited.

In light of the most recent events concerning Coronavirus (COVID-19) and in accordance with guidance from the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), FSBP will provide coverage at 100% - no deductible or other member cost sharing – for the testing of Coronavirus (COVID-19). Provider visits, medications, and other

treatments related to Coronavirus (COVID-19) are paid per the terms of the Plan Brochure.

The Plan’s brochure (https://www.afspa.org/filestoreAFSPA/2021RI72-001FSBPBrochure.pdf) and ID card act as the certificate of coverage.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact our office."

2 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

"This letter is in response to your request for verification of health insurance coverage with the Foreign Service Benefit Plan (FSBP).

Our records indicate you are currently enrolled in a Self Only (401) policy effective January 1, 1989.

Coverage under the FSBP is world-wide, including your stay in Thailand. Your policy provides benefits for medical expenses, including but not limited to physician consults, diagnostic procedures, physical therapy,

emergency medical treatment and hospitalization. The policy also provides coverage for mental health and substance abuse treatment and prescription medication. There are no pre-existing conditions or dollar limit

on the policy although certain benefits (for instance, physical therapy, chiropractic, home health) are limited.

In light of the most recent events concerning Coronavirus (COVID-19) and in accordance with guidance from the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), FSBP will provide coverage at 100% - no deductible or other member cost sharing – for the testing of Coronavirus (COVID-19). Provider visits, medications, and other

treatments related to Coronavirus (COVID-19) are paid per the terms of the Plan Brochure.

The Plan’s brochure (https://www.afspa.org/filestoreAFSPA/2021RI72-001FSBPBrochure.pdf) and ID card act as the certificate of coverage.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact our office."

I do not see it giving a minimum of coverage like what they request. That could be problematic.

12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I do not see it giving a minimum of coverage like what they request. That could be problematic.

Agreed - the wording is legally cautious, and could be unclear to anyone unfamiliar with how the dysfunctional US health care system operates, with employer-sponsored group insurance used more often than individual policies. 

The coverage amount is addressed by the statement "There are no pre-existing conditions or dollar limit

on the policy", but I know the authorities are more used to seeing a specific dollar amount (even though unlimited coverage is obviously better).

The letter also isn't "signed and sealed", since seals and stamps are not normally used on US business correspondence.

An identical letter was accepted last year when I used it to apply for a Thailand Pass, so that gives me some cause for optimism, but I guess I'll find out when I submit the LTR application. I will be annoyed if it's rejected, but I do have money in the bank as a Plan B. 

• Thanks 1

People have been staying here for years if they are visa-runners or go through agents so this new visa doesn't mean anything.

Unless Thailand is serious on closing the loopholes, only 0.1% would want this new visa.

Edited by EricTh

Replying to Khunjeff:

Thanks, this is very useful. I checked my AFPSA account on the web, and under the "Plan Overview" tab, the following info is displayed (top left). .

Medical Coverage
From Jan 1, 2022 to Dec 31, 2022
For [First Name]

This page includes coverage details for common services.

At least that's something with a stated period of coverage, but regardless, it does seem that the application period is going to be roughly December-February for the typical US citizen, taking into account that according from info in this thread, there is a grace period for justifying insurance coverage. So, we could apply (presumably) in Nov or Dec and prove coverage in January, which is the earliest date at which said coverage for the new year will be posted, if the insurer won't state it formally in a letter.

That doesn't interfere badly with my plans for the initial visa, but what happens every year at immigration "check-in" after that is worrisome, especially is said "check-in" is anytime after February and we become de facto uninsured for the purpose of maintaining the visa. And if they're not going to check going forward after the visa is issued, why ask for a  10-month coverage minimum now?

Please keep us posted on what happens with this insurance business.

NW

Edited by Northwest87
  • Like 1

This recent back and forth about getting the Thai BOI and Immigration authorities to do a plain reading of an insurance coverage letter makes me more than certain that I will comply with the self-coverage using my U.S. retirement account(s). 

The real benefit of the LTR for wealthy pensioners is keeping as far away from immigration as possible and to obtain only that insurance coverage that makes sense to you for your situation (for me it is major medical),  

I am certain that I will be able to meet the self-cover option as long as I am alive, but meeting such arbitrary requirements for insurance 'validity' as people are running into with TriCare or other offshore coverage will always be subject to what eyes are looking at your life and the arrangements you have made.

13 minutes ago, pepper402 said:

I talked to the BOI today regarding my application and was told that “processing” means that all of the required documents seem to be in order and they have been sent to another department to authenticate, and to do a criminal background check.  At least that is what I understood.  Good luck to all applicants

I also confess that I am concerned with all of my highly sensitive documents (Passport, Bank account numbers and asset information, Insurance information,  Social security information, etc.) being passed around on possibly unsecured servers…

Heard something similar to that, except that "processing" meant all of the documents are in order in order to get a decision in 20 working days. Items like qualified health insurance and the photo don't need to be submitted in order to get a status of "processing," however.  After the decision at the 20 working days point, apparently there's another 60 days to get these items in order and then receive the letter.

I too don't like submitting these types of documents online.  I wonder if Thailand's new Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) applies to government entities like the BoI?  Still, after nearly 30 years of submitting great wads of paper documents to Immigration and the Labor Dept for NonB & work permits, I bet some enterprising person could have put all that in a database for sale at some point...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Misty said:

Heard something similar to that, except that "processing" meant all of the documents are in order in order to get a decision in 20 working days. Items like qualified health insurance and the photo don't need to be submitted in order to get a status of "processing," however.  After the decision at the 20 working days point, apparently there's another 60 days to get these items in order and then receive the letter.

I too don't like submitting these types of documents online.  I wonder if Thailand's new Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) applies to government entities like the BoI?  Still, after nearly 30 years of submitting great wads of paper documents to Immigration and the Labor Dept for NonB & work permits, I bet some enterprising person could have put all that in a database for sale at some point...

So many database breaches already one has to wonder. In the west you would be given free access to the three credit bureaus and your information would be locked so no one could try and use it to create new accounts. Identity theft is rife unfortunately. I still have all my accounts monitored for any sign or attempt to use my information.

Edited by ThailandRyan

Another strange email. Are you folks getting these.

Dear All,

Please be advised the request below.

การพิจารณาคุณสมบัติได้รับการอนุมัติ กรุณานัดหมายประทับตรา

หมายเลขเอกสาร: LTRHSPC22090007
ประเภทวีซ่า: High-skilled Professionals Private company
วันที่ยื่นคำขอ: 17-09-2022
ชื่อ-สกุล: xxxxxxx
อีเมล  
เบอร์โทรศัพท์:  
สถานะ: Final Approved

เจ้าหน้าที่ที่รับผิดชอบ: testboi02 BOI
อีเมล:

54 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Another strange email. Are you folks getting these.

Dear All,

Please be advised the request below.

การพิจารณาคุณสมบัติได้รับการอนุมัติ กรุณานัดหมายประทับตรา

หมายเลขเอกสาร: LTRHSPC22090007
ประเภทวีซ่า: High-skilled Professionals Private company
วันที่ยื่นคำขอ: 17-09-2022
ชื่อ-สกุล: xxxxxxx
อีเมล  
เบอร์โทรศัพท์:  
สถานะ: Final Approved

เจ้าหน้าที่ที่รับผิดชอบ: testboi02 BOI
อีเมล:

No, not had that. Only one for the application I'd made.

2 hours ago, gajah said:

The status for my WP LTR visa application online just changed to pending, from processing. I applied 2 weeks ago. Anybody know what Pending means - hopefully something good - and what happens next? 

I had that happen when they wanted additional docs (photo).  After I uploaded the photo, it went back to processing. Maybe check the documents section in your online account to see if there's a message requesting something.

• Like 1

New today, went to the LTR BOI App to check the status of my application and instead of clicking check status I clicked the LTR button on top and this popped up.  Never had that happen before.  I was looking for the pop up with the phone numbers to call someone about the funky e-mails I have been receiving since no one else has been getting them.  Here is the latest pop up

image.png.74dfd02cdbcfad7fe2cbfaab8c24ee0c.png