LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

2 hours ago, Misty said:

Hi Pepper, congratulations on receiving approval.  You can apply for an e-visa at this site:  https://www.thaievisa.go.th/    You'll see the "Long-Term Resident Visa" listed as one of the options as you scoll down.

I think the payment is done as with similar e-visas, by credit or debit card. Let us know what the LA consulate is charging. You're in new territory now and are our "eyes and ears" as we used to say. I don't think anyone else has done this yet! I plan to apply soon via the NY consulate.

We all have lots of questions too, so please report back what you learn.

In past experience, I learned that the best way to communicate with US consulates in either LA or NY was by FB DM.  So if you have questions for them, try that.  I did once talk to LA consulate after a very long wait on hold, but didn't get much info and don't recommend that approach.

Here's the link:  https://www.facebook.com/thaiconsulatela/

Cheers!  Misty

Misty, I will certainly report back as soon as I can figure things out.  Unfortunately, I am going to have to wait until I get my new Passport, which should hopefully be in four to six weeks.  When I receive my new Passport, I will try to remove my old Passport from the BOI documents and submit a scan of my new one. Regarding the e-visa, I'm confused as to how this works.  After I receive the LTR approval from the BOI, do I then apply for an e-visa on the Thai Los Angeles Embassy website?  It doesn't look like this is functioning yet.  Then what?  What will I get from the e-visa? Will I need a "stamp" or something in my Passport?  

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I live in Bangkok, not more than 1km from the BOI.

Sure gives you a leg up those living in Chiang Rai or Udorn. What a pain to have to waste a couple of days to go to that traffic jam..... Eventually, maybe the Imm offices will be read in on the LTR visa issuing process, as they were supposed to have been, according to the original LTR advertisement:

Qualified applicants may proceed with applying for LTR Visa issuance at the Royal Thai Embassies/the Royal Thai Consulate Generals overseas or Immigration offices in Thailand within 60 days from the issuance date of the endorsement letter.

And what about replacing your current permission (extension) of stay with a new one-year LTR permission of stay? Is this part of the Visa issuing process at BoI; or can you do it at your local Imm office (doubtful, as they've yet to be read in on LTR visas, at least the podunk Imm offices). Or do you have to exit and re-enter Thailand to get that permission stamp, akin to what you have to do for an Elite visa?

1 minute ago, JimGant said:

Sure gives you a leg up those living in Chiang Rai or Udorn. What a pain to have to waste a couple of days to go to that traffic jam..... Eventually, maybe the Imm offices will be read in on the LTR visa issuing process, as they were supposed to have been, according to the original LTR advertisement:

And what about replacing your current permission (extension) of stay with a new one-year LTR permission of stay? Is this part of the Visa issuing process at BoI; or can you do it at your local Imm office (doubtful, as they've yet to be read in on LTR visas, at least the podunk Imm offices). Or do you have to exit and re-enter Thailand to get that permission stamp, akin to what you have to do for an Elite visa?

Your last question is an unknown, unsure of how long you get stamped in for initially, could it be for the year? Could it be for 5 Years, which is the length of the initial visa? All things I will ask when I have been scheduled and have my appointment to affix my Visa.

• Like 1

Yeah bummer, looks like this is still not a good opportunity for those living out of Bangkok... having to travel in addition to all the steps still make the yearly extension better. Right now with a marriage visa I'm in and out my local immigration office in 1 hour. 

6 hours ago, pepper402 said:

I was also just approved. Unfortunately, I am no longer in Thailand and don’t have any plans to return within the next 60 days…   I’ve tried calling the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles numerous times over the past several weeks and no one ever answers the phone.  If I go to Los Angeles and walk in, I’m confident that they will turn me away and tell me that I have to first make an appointment.  I will ask how I do that and I’m pretty sure they will tell me that I need to call them to do that....   I’ve also just sent my Passport in for renewal so the Passport on my LTR application is no longer valid

-          Is an E-Visa possible?  How would I go about doing that?

-          How do I pay the 50,000 Baht.  How much will the Embassy add as a surcharge via unfavorable exchange rate or other charges?

-          Can someone pay at the Chamchuri office for me, and then I can get the passport stamp at a later date?

I have lots of questions.

The Embassy in DC refers to the LTR visa https://thaiembdc.org/visas/ (scroll to almost the bottom of the page).

This page https://thaiembdc.org/visas/ shows a letter that mentions at the beginning that the fee is US$1600 so they probably handle the visa, and they might be better at answering their phones.  Except for the LTR seminar announcement (now obsolete), I don't see any info on the LTR on the LA consulate web site.

How did you deal with the medical insurance requirement in the end?

NW

36 minutes ago, Northwest87 said:

The Embassy in DC refers to the LTR visa https://thaiembdc.org/visas/ (scroll to almost the bottom of the page).

This page https://thaiembdc.org/visas/ shows a letter that mentions at the beginning that the fee is US$1600 so they probably handle the visa, and they might be better at answering their phones.  Except for the LTR seminar announcement (now obsolete), I don't see any info on the LTR on the LA consulate web site.

How did you deal with the medical insurance requirement in the end?

NW

Thanks for the links.  I was able to get my insurance to issue a letter stating that my policy (retirement - good for life) expires 12/31/4000.  I wonder if I can pay 50,000 Thai Baht cash at the embassy instead of USD.

Edited by pepper402

8 minutes ago, pepper402 said:

Thanks for the links.  I was able to get my insurance to issue a letter stating that my policy (retirement - good for life) expires 12/31/4000.  I wonder if I can pay 50,000 Thai Baht cash at the embassy instead of USD.

Hi, thanks for the info. I doubt very much they would take THB for payment, since an extra 10K+ fee is built in. Another user on this thread has reported 1500 BP for the UK. Out of curiosity, I checked the web site of the Paris Embassy, and it's EUR 1750 there, which is THB 64K and change at current rates.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pepper402 said:

Misty, I will certainly report back as soon as I can figure things out.  Unfortunately, I am going to have to wait until I get my new Passport, which should hopefully be in four to six weeks.  When I receive my new Passport, I will try to remove my old Passport from the BOI documents and submit a scan of my new one. Regarding the e-visa, I'm confused as to how this works.  After I receive the LTR approval from the BOI, do I then apply for an e-visa on the Thai Los Angeles Embassy website?  It doesn't look like this is functioning yet.  Then what?  What will I get from the e-visa? Will I need a "stamp" or something in my Passport?  

E-visas are initiated at this general website (not the LA consulate's):  https://www.thaievisa.go.th/

When I've applied for a NonB e-visa in the past, I received a pdf copy of the e-visa document by email.  I printed out the copy and gave it to the IO at the airport when I entered, who then stamped my passport, writing "NonB e-visa" on the stamp.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Northwest87 said:

Hi, thanks for the info. I doubt very much they would take THB for payment, since an extra 10K+ fee is built in. Another user on this thread has reported 1500 BP for the UK. Out of curiosity, I checked the web site of the Paris Embassy, and it's EUR 1750 there, which is THB 64K and change at current rates.

There's huge volatility in forex markets right now, especially for GBP and EUR.  I can imagine any Bt50k currency conversion done in August as the program was getting started will be fairly out of date now. I wonder how often the foreign currency prices will get updated.

4 hours ago, Misty said:

There's huge volatility in forex markets right now, especially for GBP and EUR.  I can imagine any Bt50k currency conversion done in August as the program was getting started will be fairly out of date now. I wonder how often the foreign currency prices will get updated.

That's a good point.

Edited by Northwest87

I just got approved for WP LTR -- yay! Two questions: The email to me says I need to bring Application form for LTR Visa (TM.94), and Criteria and Conditions Acknowledgement Form for a Temporary Stay Permit in the Kingdom (LTR Visa) (STM.8) to my meeting at One Start One Stop Investment Center. Any idea where I can download these 2 forms?

Also, how will the appointment at OSS be set up -- will it be emailed to me?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gajah said:

I just got approved for WP LTR -- yay! Two questions: The email to me says I need to bring Application form for LTR Visa (TM.94), and Criteria and Conditions Acknowledgement Form for a Temporary Stay Permit in the Kingdom (LTR Visa) (STM.8) to my meeting at One Start One Stop Investment Center. Any idea where I can download these 2 forms?

Also, how will the appointment at OSS be set up -- will it be emailed to me?

Did you just receive an email of the approval or did they send you the actual certificate. Check the application to see if above your name where the notification is their is a notice of setting the appointment or asking for more info.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ashkale said:

Did anyone manage to get this endorsed on the passport? 

Still waiting for the e-mail with the Certificate.  As I have before received I have again received some strange e-mails again this morning.  Within 5 minutes I received 6 e-mails all of them the same starting at 11:16 am and ending at 11;23 am this morning from the "systemmailex@boi,go.th"

Each of the e-mails was stating they were requiring more information but again they were for a LTRWGC application which I did not apply for and the number associated is not mine nor is it the date I applied.  Some funny stuff is occurring.

Dear LTR Applicant,

Your application is on process.

In this regard, we would like to request additional information/documents as follows:

S

Application No. :

LTRWGC22100001

Visa Type:

Wealthy Global Citizens

Submission date:

03-10-2022

Applicant’s Name and Surname:

XXXXXXXX

Email:

[email protected]

Phone number:

xxxxxxxxxxx

Requesting additional documents

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ashkale said:

I have emailed them too- and been calling since morning to a constantly engaged line- the 60 day validity of the email acceptance makes it a bit more tight. Perhaps a visit to the center could be of help?

I have been on hold for over an hour so far.  The response e-mail I received for my e-mail sent a little while ago says this, which tells me they are very busy. The email is not very helpful.

Dear Sir or Madam,

We thank you for your inquiry on LTR visa. As we are currently receiving a lot of email inquiries, please allow us 1 to 3 working days to send you a reply. Our working days and hours are Monday to Friday, 8.30-16.30 hrs. (BKK time). E-mails received on weekends or public holidays will be reviewed on the next business day.

Meanwhile, please visit our website https://ltr.boi.go.th  for information which may help answer some of your questions.

Particularly you can find out on our website;

The criteria  https://ltr.boi.go.th/index.html#type

Required documents  https://ltr.boi.go.th/page/required-documents.html

Application process https://ltr.boi.go.th/index.html#app

Furthermore please submit your application online at ltr.boi.go.th by clicking "To apply" button on the top right of the home page or https://visa.boi.go.th/register Then you'll need to register for an LTR account first and sign back in in order to fill in the application online and upload required documents for the LTR visa type which you have eligibility.

We apologize for this inconvenience and very thankful for your patience and understanding. For urgent matters, please call 02 209 1100 ext. 1109-1110 or 1141-1149

Warm regards,

LTR team

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BKKNono said:

Here is my timeline (and it's not very encouraging...):

- Requested pre-screening review on Aug 16th

- Received pre-screening reply "acceptable documents,  go ahead with your application" on Aug 30th after asking for an update on the 29th.

- Applied on September 1st

- Received request on Sep 5th for passport picture and local Thai insurance certificate with the 50,000 USD coverage (I have local IPD  for 2M Baht)

- Received 1st approval on Sep 15th.

- Managed to book an appointment via the website for the 22nd (all forms were in Thai asking for current visa in Thailand)

- Received a second approval email on Sep 21st (Same forms in Thai to book the appointment, booked again for the 22nd and downloaded Appointment Confirmation and Endorsement Letter).

- Here comes the fun part: The Booking Appointment confirmation and Endorsement Letter were having the wrong dates. I still went to BOI on Sep 22nd...

- A BOI representative brought someone from their IT team to explain me they're having a system glitch and I shouldn't have been able to book the appointment yet. Then  I've been told they're not ready to affix the LTR visa yet and I should wait for an update 1 week later.

- Well it's been a long wait since then, no update, nothing, nada.

I understand it's a new visa, but designing a stable IT system should have been done ahead of the bells & whistles "Please apply we're ready!"

Thank you.  I have been on hold now for over 2 hours with the switchboard, and still no answer.  I am going to hang up and then chill. It is frustrating that I can not get an answer to the e-mails sent nor has my certificate been sent when they said it would only be 1 or 2 days after submitting the updated passport information and my address that they requested.  Still shows Reviewing Up-dated information.  I mean it has been approved:

Smart visa document no LTRWP xxxxx has been approved. 

However I can not make an appointment using the system as it says I need the certificate first. The Check Staus shows the below

DATE
DOC No.
VISA TYPE
DOC TYPE
STAFF NAME
STATUS
ACTION

02 Sep 2022 08:13

LTRWP xxxxxxxx

Wealthy Pensioners

Request

StaffBoi 1147

Reviewing updated information

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BKKNono said:

- Received pre-screening reply "acceptable documents,  go ahead with your application" on Aug 30th after asking for an update on the 29th.

- Received request on Sep 5th for passport picture and local Thai insurance certificate with the 50,000 USD coverage (I have local IPD  for 2M Baht)

- Managed to book an appointment via the website for the 22nd (all forms were in Thai asking for current visa in Thailand)

- Received a second approval email on Sep 21st (Same forms in Thai to book the appointment, booked again for the 22nd and downloaded Appointment Confirmation and Endorsement Letter).

- Here comes the fun part: The Booking Appointment confirmation and Endorsement Letter were having the wrong dates. I still went to BOI on Sep 22nd...

- A BOI representative brought someone from their IT team to explain me they're having a system glitch and I shouldn't have been able to book the appointment yet. Then  I've been told they're not ready to affix the LTR visa yet and I should wait for an update 1 week later.

I understand it's a new visa, but designing a stable IT system should have been done ahead of the bells & whistles "Please apply we're ready!"

Yeah, my application of  September 4th goes  back and forth between "processing"  and "pending", and nothing else happens. Seems more and more likely that I'll get another "Thai wife" extension and reapply for the LTR visa, later next year, if they haven't closed shop in the meantime.

1 minute ago, Boomer6969 said:

Yeah, my application of  September 4th goes  back and forth between "processing"  and "pending", and nothing else happens. Seems more and more likely that I'll get another "Thai wife" extension and reapply for the LTR visa, later next year, if they haven't closed shop in the meantime.

I am in the same boat as my extension of stay based upon retirement is due on the 20th of November, and I normally due it 30 days early on the 20th of October.  I was hoping that with their program I could just slip on into the LTRWP Visa, but I am also running up close on time.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I am in the same boat as my extension of stay based upon retirement is due on the 20th of November, and I normally due it 30 days early on the 20th of October.  I was hoping that with their program I could just slip on into the LTRWP Visa, but I am also running up close on time.

Another program launched without adequate adult supervision. It really sounds like the smart thing to do is to do your normal annual extension, and hope that a year later LTR will be tried and true.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BKKNono said:

I'm experiences some of these issues as well. Unfortunately the BoI's explanation that there's a "system glitch" seems to understate whatever is going wrong.

The Thailand E-Visa site used to have the LTR listed as a "Visa Category" for the e-visa but I see that's been removed now.

• Like 1