LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

2 hours ago, stuarty said:

My wife’s passport will expire next year. Can any visa like this in an expired passport be transferred to a new passport by Thai immigration upon request? Or will she need to carry both passports for 4 years?

Below is how it's done for a SMART Visa; maybe the LTR Visa will be the same way.  Although  it indicates the transfer is done at the BOI immigration, maybe the immigration office where you live in Thailand can also do it.

https://smart-visa.boi.go.th/smart/pages/how-to-manage.html

image.png.d82554091e34ae5532af5bb33e5cd06f.png

41 minutes ago, Billpro785 said:

Thanks, I was thinking the same. Again thanks for the info 

If you have time read through the OP ignore the whi ers and complainers, just view the posts from those of us who have ventured forth and succeeded.

49 minutes ago, Pib said:

Poster & Date Approval Notice Rec'd

1.  ThailandRyan  28 Sep

2.  pepper402  29 Sep

3.  gajah  30 Sep

4.  mudcat  4 Oct

5.  Misty   4 Oct

6. & 7.  stuarty (and wife) 4 Oct

8.  Boomer6969   5 Oct

9.   BKKNono  15 Sep

10.  Alotoftravel  4 Oct

11.  aublumberg 12 Oct

12.  James7  4 Oct 

13.  ashkale 28 Sep

Thanks for this very useful list.  May I suggest that you maybe sort this by date as this would just make it a little easier to read.  Thank you. 

25 minutes ago, Billpro785 said:

Thanks Ryan,

Have completed it and now says 'pending payment". I would assume I wait until it is approved ? 

To apply for the LTR e-visa, you will need to uplaod the BoI Notification letter from the https://visa.boi.go.th/register site application.  No payment is needed to do that.

Do you have the BoI letter already?

Only after you complete the LTR application and get the BoI Letter can you go to the Thai e-visa site and apply for the LTR e-visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Billpro785

I think you may have the cart before the horse. 

As Misty pointed out you need to get approved for an LTR Visa by the Thailand Board of Investment (BOI) before you can apply to have the stamp issued at a Thai embassy.   

Applying for a LTR Visa approval is a completely separate process from applying for issue of the LTR Visa stamp at a Thai embassy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, stuarty said:

Pending payment means you have to pay now or they will not process 

Stuarty, that must be for those folks outside of Thailand.  I never paid here in Thailand until I was approved and met with the LTR/BOI Unit at the OSS where the Visa stamp was placed into my Passport at Immigration, which is on the opposite side of the Chamchuri Square building from the LTR/BOI Unit.

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Stuarty, that must be for those folks outside of Thailand.  I never paid here in Thailand until I was approved and met with the LTR/BOI Unit at the OSS where the Visa stamp was placed into my Passport at Immigration, which is on the opposite side of the Chamchuri Square building from the LTR/BOI Unit.

I think you are right. I applied for visa at London embassy. It’s clear you must pay the visa fee upfront in that case before they will proceed 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It works similarly when you're outside of Thailand. You don't pay anything during the LTR application process on the BoI site.

Then, if you are approved and receive the BoI's Notification letter, you can start the process to get the actual visa. If you are outside Thailand, it could be in the form of either an e-visa (if your location qualifies) or going to the embassy/consulate in person (if your location doesn't qualify for e-visa).  If you are inside Thailand, you make an appointment and go to the BoI's immigration site.

In all 3 cases (both inside and outside Thailand), you have to pay before you get the actual visa or e-visa.  But not before that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Billpro785 said:

In the process of applying now, have the docs to show the 80K USD for the 2 years and the medical insurance, but stuck on the lines 3 and 4 . What did you guys submit for that ? 

Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 1.48.35 PM.png

You're on the wrong site.

You first need to be approved by the LTR, and once you have received your letter of notification of qualification endorsement, you can then proceed to affix visa , using the E Visa site in your screenshot in some cases.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pib said:

As mentioned the 1st step is the most important...that is, applying for and getting approved for an LTR visa.  The 2nd step of apply for/paying for it within 60 days of LTR approval is more of an administrative, sweeping-up operation.  Basically, you've been approved--now take step 2 and pay for the visa issuance.   If you can wait to pay/get the approved LTR entered in your passport at BOI then the fee is Bt50K versus a possibly higher fee (due to embassy used exchange rate) at a Thai embassy where you may have to use the e-visa system.   But if you need/want the visa in your passport "before" arriving Thailand in order to get into Thailand then you pretty much must have it issued at a Thai embassy.

Something else to consider is that for getting a visa on entry you normally need a return ticket; I don't know if airlines would refuse you boarding at the departing airport without a proper visa coupled with a one-way ticket, but this could be trouble at the port of entry , couldn't it? Depending of where you fly from and your class of travel, the difference in price between a one-way and a return ticket could cover the extra 10 or 15 thousand bahts you'd pay for LTR issuance at your local embassy or consulate. Something to think about...

Edited by Northwest87

For those of you unable to revise your application with a new passport:  A friend of mine talked to a BOI representative today and he suggested (until the developers can fix this)  that you submit a new application.  If your application was previously approved, attach the exact same documents.  Also, on my application, I check "single" and it converts it to "widower" (hope that's not an omen)

• Haha 2

On 11/6/2022 at 1:27 AM, Pib said:

All depends on your situation....do you need the LTR visa in your passport before arriving Thailand or can wait to after you enter Thailand on another type of Visa/visa exempt..  It's a two step process

1st step process is to apply and get approved at the BOI LTR website....and during that application process you tell them if approved whether you want to get the LTR issued (put in your passport) at the BOI Immigration in Bangkok (requires an appointment) or at a Thai embassy.   Step 1 is the key step....the most important step....not getting approved in step 1 means there is no step 2.

If your LTR application is approved you then can move on to the 2nd step in getting the approved LTR paid for and issued at BOI Immigration in Bangkok or a Thai embassy some around the world where you would probably use the e-visa system.   You have 60 days from the date of the  LTR Endorsement letter (i..e, approval) to apply for the visa issuance.

As mentioned the 1st step is the most important...that is, applying for and getting approved for an LTR visa.  The 2nd step of apply for/paying for it within 60 days of LTR approval is more of an administrative, sweeping-up operation.  Basically, you've been approved--now take step 2 and pay for the visa issuance.   If you can wait to pay/get the approved LTR entered in your passport at BOI then the fee is Bt50K versus a possibly higher fee (due to embassy used exchange rate) at a Thai embassy where you may have to use the e-visa system.   But if you need/want the visa in your passport "before" arriving Thailand in order to get into Thailand then you pretty much must have it issued at a Thai embassy.

Once LTR-WP visa is issued, how long do I have to use it?

1 hour ago, gt162 said:

Once LTR-WP visa is issued, how long do I have to use it?

Mine says valid for 10 years. Length of stay 5 years. So I take that to mean there will be a review of your status/qualifications after 5 years. No mention of when I must make initial entry to Thailand, but I'm going in December.

• Thumbs Up 1

This 8 minute The Examiner Youtube video on the LTR and LTR land ownership is fresh....approx 2 days old as of today/9 Nov.  Several quotes of senior govt personnel such as the Interior Minister regarding the LTR in how it has so far drawn a "mild" and "lukewarm" response, "disappointing" results and accepted the LTR goals may have to be adjusted, only 1,300 applications received since 1 Sep with most being from the US and UK, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pib said:

This 8 minute The Examiner Youtube video on the LTR and LTR land ownership is fresh....approx 2 days old as of today/9 Nov.  Several quotes of senior govt personnel such as the Interior Minister regarding the LTR in how it has so far drawn a "mild" and "lukewarm" response, "disappointing" results and accepted the LTR goals may have to be adjusted, 

They're either going to have to adjust the goals, or the conditions of the LTR if they want to get more applications- choose one.

I think the nature of the applicants( as seen on this thread ) are not the target market they were aiming for. People not already residing in Thailand were the target.

What's occurred initially is applicants are more those already in Thailand,  who are looking for a different visa solution.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

They're either going to have to adjust the goals, or the conditions of the LTR if they want to get more applications- choose one.

I think the nature of the applicants( as seen on this thread ) are not the target market they were aiming for. People not already residing in Thailand were the target.

What's occurred initially is applicants are more those already in Thailand,  who are looking for a different visa solution.

I would have to agree with your assessment of the first LTR applicants being from in the country. However, since many of us have obtained them in the country and have friends outside of the country who have just found out about this, I think it will start to have an uptick from outside, especially from the US.

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 minute ago, anrcaccount said:

Due to "face saving" being so strong in Thailand I doubt the government will seriously consider any possible adjustments until well after the next election when new HiSo's will be in most high level government positions.  Those new HiSo's can recommend changes without losing face...they can say the initial requirements were a good start but the new-and-improved requirements are much better....will increase the economy by a zillion baht.   

• Like 1