LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

Now if you are married to a Thai then the pathway to Thai citizenship is a little different but even that pathway requires some type of visa to stay in Thailand long enough to meet citizenship requirements.  

Three years of continuous employment, backed by work permits and tax returns a required even when married to a Thai. So AFAIC LTR is just fine. I am 70, so it foots the bill just as well as PR as I don't think I'll ever need to renew it... Citizenship is out of question as I don't want to be Thai, Oz and EU is great. US wouldn't be bad though...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Has anyone with a LTR-T (WFTP) been able to get a proper credit card locally in Thailand? Normal requirement is to show local pay slips as one of the conditions to get one which obviously doesn't apply for us. We also don't have a traditional local work permit for reasons mentioned above in the threat.

I've got a couple debit cards with the major banks here and am aware you can have a 'credit' card that must be secured by a savings account ... which is like a debit card at the end of the day. They also tend to come with fairly low spend limits like THB100 - 150k a month.

Edited by aublumberg

I did trawl a bit through this thread, but couldn't find if anyone had used regular dividend payments as proof of income, rather than pension.

In particular, if I own an overseas company and pay myself dividends that exceed the $80k per annum for 2 years, will that be meet the requirement for the Wealthy Pensioner plan?

As I approach 50, I am looking for to arrange my tax strategy and the LTR's advantages for both tax, convenience and certainly make it worth lining my ducks up for. TIA.

Edited by Karma80

35 minutes ago, aublumberg said:

Has anyone with a LTR-T (WFTP) been able to get a proper credit card locally in Thailand? Normal requirement is to show local pay slips as one of the conditions to get one which obviously doesn't apply for us. We also don't have a traditional local work permit for reasons mentioned above in the threat.

I've got a couple debit cards with the major banks here and am aware you can have a 'credit' card that must be secured by a savings account ... which is like a debit card at the end of the day. They also tend to come with fairly low spend limits like THB100 - 150k a month.

I got one while on marriage extensions, from Bangkok Bank. But the asked me to secure the 200000 THB credit limit with a fixed term deposit account.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Karma80 said:

I did trawl a bit through this thread, but couldn't find if anyone had used regular dividend payments as proof of income, rather than pension.

In particular, if I own an overseas company and pay myself dividends that exceed the $80k per annum for 2 years, will that be meet the requirement for the Wealthy Pensioner plan?

As I approach 50, I am looking for to arrange my tax strategy and the LTR's advantages for both tax, convenience and certainly make it worth lining my ducks up for. TIA.

Based on some data points the BOI currently does not seem to be set up to process much which is not standardised and does not fit their standard pattern.  So basically they seem to want to tick certain boxes they are familiar with and if you are slightly different, even if a deeper analysis would show that this is absolutely no problem, then this tends to cause great problems.  So it is certainly worthwhile trying, but do not get your hopes up too high and maybe better apply in 6-12 months than right now.  By analogy just read what some people higher up wrote about health care insurance which does not have an expiry date which should actually be better, not worse than one with a time-limitation, but has repeatedly been rejected for various people.  Re the taxation please note that you can get nearly the same tax benefits as under the LTR-WP with any other visa as long as you do not submit overseas earnings to Thailand in the year they were earned so that tax benefit on a relative basis is really more smart marketing than reality.

Edited by K2938
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 7:00 PM, Pib said:

Update:   Known LTR Visa Approvals as of 29 Dec 2022 "based on posts in this thread I saw."  Added in bold text "User3847385, Saraburi121, & khunjeff" who got LTR visa Approved 8, 23, & 26 Dec, respectively.   Two were Pensioner visas and one Work from Thailand Professional visa.    See their posts above over the last day or so for more details.  Congrats!!!

Seems like December has turned out to be a good month for LTR approvals.  In below list 5 were approved in Sep, 9 in Oct, only 3 in Nov, and 8 so far in Dec.  Remember, this list only accounts for those who have announced an approval in this thread.

Happy Holidays To All.  I know the folks below who got their LTR Golden Ticket are probably feeling pretty happy.

Poster & Date Approval Notice Rec'd

1.   BKKNono  -  15 Sep

2.  ashkale  - 28 Sep

3.  ThailandRyan  - 28 Sep

4.  pepper402  - 29 Sep

5.  gajah  - 30 Sep

6.  Alotoftravel  - 4 Oct

7.  James7  - 4 Oct 

8. & 9.  Misty (and family member)  - 4 Oct

10.  mudcat  - 4 Oct

11. & 12.  stuarty (and wife) - 4 Oct

13.  Boomer6969  - 5 Oct

14.  aublumberg - 12 Oct

15.  JJJJJJJJ  -  8 Nov

16.  smic - 28 Nov

17.  Paul3456 - 30 Nov

18.  anotherexpat4444 - 7 Dec

19.  User3847385 - 8 Dec

20. & 21.  Zuman - 16 Dec (and Mrs Zuman on 27 Dec) 

22. lextsy - 21 Dec 

23. Pib - 23 Dec

24. Saraburi121 - 23 Dec

25. khunjeff - 26 Dec

Whoops....previously I misspelled 20 & 21 above....I spelled as Juman (with a J)  but correct spelling is Zuman (with a Z) which I have now corrected above.  Happy New Year.   

• Like 1

For LTR visa purposes, does my income, and investment in Thailand, need to be only in my own name?

I have only joint tax returns for the past decades, and I’d like e.g. a foreigner-owned condo I buy in Bangkok to be held jointly with me and (Thai) wife. Would those still work as evidence for the LTR wealthy pensioner or wealthy global citizen application?

Edited by tai4de2

1 hour ago, tai4de2 said:

For LTR visa purposes, does my income, and investment in Thailand, need to be only in my own name?

I have only joint tax returns for the past decades, and I’d like e.g. a foreigner-owned condo I buy in Bangkok to be held jointly with me and (Thai) wife. Would those still work as evidence for the LTR wealthy pensioner or wealthy global citizen application?

Yes, they would consider your % portion of the respective investments e.g. if you jointly 50/50 own a condo of 10m then they would account 5m for your application.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, tai4de2 said:

Regarding how much of jointly owned real estate could be applied towards your LTR application, oldcpu ran this to ground in early December.  See his 7 Dec post below.  But basically, as aublumberg said above if the property (i.e., condo) is in your and the wife's name then you could apply 50% of the property value towards your LTR application.  

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, aublumberg said:

When the LTR program was launched in one of the webcasts back in Aug / Sep 2022, that question came up and BOI explicitly said that dividend payments or similar recurring investment returns do qualify for the Wealthy Pensioner assessment.

I would assume some key issues for the situation described include 1) if the dividend is not really a disguised salary payment and income from work does not count for the WP qualification, 2) how sustainable that is and 3) to what extent related party transactions are acceptable

Edited by K2938
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2022 at 10:04 AM, Pib said:

And I wonder if Boi is considering outsourcing "part or all" of the LTR application process to include LTR website management.   I could easily see where part of the process could be outsourced like website management and doing the "initial" processing/review of applications.  And then at the tail-end of the application process BoI would then take the baton to do a final review, provide final coordination with other govt agencies like Immigration/Dept of Employment, and final approval.  Kinda like a 10 lap track race....maybe the first 9 laps would be run by a contracted third party who has a contract with BoI and then BoI takes the baton to run the final/10th lap.

I think the probability of BoI outsourcing the entire process is very remote but "partially" outsourcing some of the process like the initial review of applications and website management should be quite doable, but I'm also sure there are a lot of laws/regulations/policies/rice bowls which might not make such a move easy.   

It sure would be nice if the BoI could improve the application efficiency to where they could routinely meet their 20 working days goal of reaching a final decision (approved or disapproved).  Right now that 20 working day goal seems to be the exception vs the norm.  

On 12/28/2022 at 11:19 AM, Misty said:

I asked the BoI folks who walked us through receiving the digital work permits how long they'd been at the BoI and where they'd come from.  They explained that their employment firm had been contracted to be in the LTR unit to work with the applicants.  So outsourcing at this level appears to be happening already.

All of the folks at the LTR unit front end whom I've been in contact with have been professional and helpful. They all have spoken excellent English. I'd say this was a successful outsourcing.  Perhaps more can follow.

And where Misty said above "Perhaps more can follow" relating to contracting-out of the LTR application process, well, it looks like that on 29 Dec 2022 the BoI put out a call/request to interested parties to act as "Certified Agents" with a request for interested parties to submit an application form by 31 Jan 2023.

If you go to the LTR public website and select the Application Process menu that menu will reflect a new entry called "Certified Agency (CA)."  Then when clicking on CA a Thai language official doc will appear where the BoI is requesting interested parties to apply to be CA's.   https://ltr.boi.go.th/index.html

Yeap, the BoI will be contracting-out more of the LTR program.    Probably similar to the recent Immigration Bureau announcement that when applying for certain types of visa "extensions" (not all) that a person will be able to apply online where a company called VFS will handle the great bulk of the "online E-extension application"/approval/disapproval process....and the person will only need to visit immigration for the final steps....pretty much like how the great bulk of the LTR application process is handled online up until the final issuing of the visa into your passport.

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1

It sure appears with the Immigration Bureau announcing the new pilot project E-extension online application system which is currently only available to those who use the Bangkok/CW immigration office (right now a person does not have to use it...it just available if you want to use it) and the BoI putting out a request for interested companies to act as a Certified Agent(s) to process LTR visa applications/website that my guess within 5 years all  visa and extension application/renewals will be handled online. 

The requirement to actually visit an immigration office in most cases will be a thing of the past.   This can be good and bad for some applicants....but regardless it's surely in our near future.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Pib said:

And where Misty said above "Perhaps more can follow" relating to contracting-out of the LTR application process, well, it looks like that on 29 Dec 2022 the BoI put out a call/request to interested parties to act as "Certified Agents" with a request for interested parties to submit an application form by 31 Jan 2023.

If you go to the LTR public website and select the Application Process menu that menu will reflect a new entry called "Certified Agency (CA)."  Then when clicking on CA a Thai language official doc will appear where the BoI is requesting interested parties to apply to be CA's.   https://ltr.boi.go.th/index.html

Yeap, the BoI will be contracting-out more of the LTR program.    Probably similar to the recent Immigration Bureau announcement that when applying for certain types of visa "extensions" (not all) that a person will be able to apply online where a company called VFS will handle the great bulk of the "online E-extension application"/approval/disapproval process....and the person will only need to visit immigration for the final steps....pretty much like how the great bulk of the LTR application process is handled online up until the final issuing of the visa into your passport.

And below is a Google Lens translation of the "Certified Agent" doc that the BoI released.  The translation is far from perfect but it's good enough to give us Thai language challenged folks a fair understanding of what the doc says.   Basically, looking to certify agents to assist foreigners in obtaining a LTR visa....hand-walk applicants thru the process....act as an authorized middleman between BoI and the applicant, etc.   

Capture1.JPG.9e2311432412734b1b719f843079654a.JPG

Capture2.JPG.fa8c4c20d06b0d4426738c197d77547a.JPG

Capture3.JPG.acbb72914df5948767b7fa459342e1eb.JPG

Capture4.JPG.f2f85ee9d138350073dca6497d47a0d9.JPG

Capture5.JPG.bfc590464f8259534cd187691734279c.JPG

Capture6.JPG.c2a37012d82b52860c07682e2a264235.JPG

Capture7.JPG.8c6f7dd2ef58ca8fd74c79146557316d.JPG

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Pib said:

And below is a Google Lens translation of the "Certified Agent" doc that the BoI released.  The translation is far from perfect but it's good enough to give us Thai language challenged folks a fair understanding of what the doc says.   Basically, looking to certify agents to assist foreigners in obtaining a LTR visa....hand-walk applicants thru the process....act as an authorized middleman between BoI and the applicant, etc.   

Capture1.JPG.9e2311432412734b1b719f843079654a.JPG

Capture2.JPG.fa8c4c20d06b0d4426738c197d77547a.JPG

Capture3.JPG.acbb72914df5948767b7fa459342e1eb.JPG

Capture4.JPG.f2f85ee9d138350073dca6497d47a0d9.JPG

Capture5.JPG.bfc590464f8259534cd187691734279c.JPG

Capture6.JPG.c2a37012d82b52860c07682e2a264235.JPG

Capture7.JPG.8c6f7dd2ef58ca8fd74c79146557316d.JPG

Well, clever enough, this will ensure that the backhanders will be exchanged only between people of the same realm.

Realm: a primary biogeographical division of the earth's surface.

Having BoI Certified Agents (CA) to assist applicants who want to use such a service (for a fee) should very significantly increase the number LTR visas that get approved, speed the LTR application process, offload workload from BoI, and be good advertisement for the LTR program as CAs will advertise the program in order to round-up more business.

And I'm sure there are many potential applicants who are paperwork-challenged,  prefer to be hand-walked thru the process, wants a CA to do the heavy lifting, etc., who will gladly pay a CA fee.

But I hope the BoI does not go to the point of requiring every applicant to use a CA....that is, not also allowing an applicant to apply directly to BoI like the process currently works.

7 minutes ago, Pib said:

Having BoI Certified Agents (CA) to assist applicants who want to use such a service (for a fee) should very significantly increase the number LTR visas that get approved, speed the LTR application process, offload workload from BoI, and be good advertisement for the LTR program as CAs will advertise the program in order to round-up more business.

And I'm sure there are many potential applicants who are paperwork-challenged,  prefer to be hand-walked thru the process, wants a CA to do the heavy lifting, etc., who will gladly pay a CA fee.

But I hope the BoI does not go to the point of requiring every applicant to use a CA....that is, not also allowing an applicant to apply directly to BoI like the process currently works.

Sounds like they are heading towards the way Thai Elite runs there Elite Visa program....

11 hours ago, Pib said:

Having BoI Certified Agents (CA) to assist applicants who want to use such a service (for a fee) should very significantly increase the number LTR visas that get approved

I do not think that the introduction of agents will cause a step change in the number of LTR visas.  The fundamental problem of the LTR visa is NOT that the application process is technically too difficult, but that the criteria are set such that very very few people fit.  So at the margin, there might be a few more applications and visas issued with agents, but the huge embarrassing shortfall compared with the target of 1 million in five years will not disappear thereby.

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sounds like they are heading towards the way Thai Elite runs there Elite Visa program....

....which means I could accomplish everything here in Chiang Mai, which means never having to go to Bangkok, which means they'll get at least one more customer.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would like to update my password to my login account on BOI but unable to locate the settings to allow me to do so.

Has anyone found a way to change password ? Appreciate any help . This is part of my yearly routine to update my login accounts. 

The only option I see is to reset the digital work permit password , is that it?

Edited by Alotoftravel

6 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

I would like to update my password to my login account on BOI but unable to locate the settings to allow me to do so.

Has anyone found a way to change password ? Appreciate any help . This is part of my yearly routine to update my login accounts. 

The only option I see is to reset the digital work permit password , is that it?

I have not changed my password but I expect if you select the Forgot Password link on the Login screen that process will email you a new one time/temporary logon password which will allow you to also create a new/updated password.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yea....Thai Elite uses agents also.....and those agents receive a minimum 10% commission of each Thailand Elite membership sold.  Like the Bt2M, 20 year Elite Ultimate Privilege membership would earn an agent at least Bt200K.  The lowest cost Bt600K, 5 year Elite Easy Access membership would earn an agent at least Bt60K.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bGZ5sckoHZl1HdJFiaD_5svGq53Pq0xE/viewimage.png.3e27e9aff72c0a035856262aa1f9362e.png

Just for others listening in, to get a better idea of the number of "Agents" the Thailand Elite scheme has take a look at below Thailand Elite webpage.....look at the bottom of the page for the "View Our Agents" button.

https://thailandelite.com/   Maybe a lot of these Thailand Elite agents will also want to be LTR agents....who knows.

And once going to above webpage you will see many agents, their locations, etc.  Just for example one of the agents is Siam Legal...and if you go to Siam Legal's Thailand Elite webpage (below) you'll see the type of Thailand Elite application service they provide.

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/thai-elite-visa.php

Now based on the BoI LTR Certified Agent document posted several posts up I doubt any commission would be allowed/earned from processing a LTR application.  Instead the LTR agent would set their own fee above and beyond the Bt50K govt fee....a fee that would have to be pre-approved by BoI per the BoI LTR Certified Agent document.   And hopefully the BoI will still allow a person to apply directly to BoI as currently setup so an applicant could avoid using an agent if the applicant desires.   Just like current 1 year visa/extensions of stay....up to the individual if he/she applies directly or has an agent hand-walk them.

Now it will be interesting to see what fee LTR Agents will charge especially since there is a lot more application paperwork involved with a LTR application compared to an Elite application.   

• Thanks 1

My laptop calendar/task reminder notified me today it was time to do my 90 day report again.   But instead, I happily reset my task reminder to a 365 vs 90 days address reporting schedule since I now have a LTR visa and my next report is not due till late Dec 2023.  ????

Yea, yea, I know that with the latest new online reporting system it is easy and "usually" reliable to report online.  That is, it's a lot easier to get your 90 day address report "approved" online but even the new system can give your rejection...usually with no reason given for the rejection.

However, in my case when I started using the new online reporting system in Dec 2021 my 1st report was rejected with no reason given.  I immediately tried again after that rejection as people reported that sometimes works for them but I was rejected again.  So, I reported by mail....or maybe it was in person...I forget.   

Then in early March 2022 I tried online reporting again and Yea!!!! I got approved. 

And then in late May 2022 I got approved again for my next report.   

But for my Aug 2022 report I got rejected probably because I had renewed my passport although I had earlier went to immigration to have stamps transferred from the old to new passport.... but I still got the 90 day address rejection.   So, I did an in-person report and immigration said online 90 day reporting should start giving me approvals again.   

Now when I renewed my marriage extension of stay in Oct since I was at the immigration office to pick my new 1 year marriage extension stamp I just did my report in person since it was almost due instead of chancing the online method which "should" work for me.  But I just played it safe since I was already at immigration for another reason.   This made my next report due in mid Jan 2023....the self-reminder I just got.

Yeap, although the latest 90 days online reporting system is much more reliable in terms of a person being able to get approved online vs having to do the report in-person or by mail, the LTR one year address reporting is a nice benefit.

Snapshot of my success rate using the latest

online 90 days address reporting system.  Only

2 out of 5 approved.

image.png.025c57d26586838451acbeea9146784e.png

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Although this thread is focused on LTR visas while youtubing last night I came across below 20 minute video talking the Thailand Elite visas in layman's terms.  I think the video host does a really good job in explaining the Elite visas pros, cons, requirements, etc. (pretty much just a police check and payment for an Elite visa), etc.   

For those trying to decide whether to apply for a LTR or Elite visa this video should help explain the Elite visa in layman's terms.  And of course this  l....o.....n.....g  thread has extensively talked the pros, cons, requirements of a LTR visa. 

Now the video host is an agent in Chiang Mai for Thailand Elite visas so the video is almost totally focused on Elite visas, but the host doesn't shy away from pointing out the cons of the visa such as high cost.   Maybe this agent will also end-up being a LTR agent also...who knows how this LTR Certified Agent thing will pan-out. 

Yea, this video may be helpful to those considering whether to apply for a multi year LTR or Elite visa....or a 1 year Non-XYZ type visa.   Need to understand all the various types of long stay visas (1 or more years) before making a decision.