LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The links still work, might be your browser or your VPN, either way here are the files. You will need to save them to a folder and then open them after saving.  For some reason I can not load them as a screen shot for use as a printed application.

STM8_Immigration.pdf 104.96 kB · 5 downloads TM94.pdf 86.55 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks.  Yes, the links are "now" working for me....but earlier they were not....with or without a VPN connection.  Earlier the links would not work whether using Chrome (even tried Chrome in Incognito mode) or using Edge.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, khunjeff said:

F. Photocopy of documents proving relationship such as a marriage certificate AND the original and photocopy of Kor.Ror. 2 form (in case of a foreigner married to a Thai citizen), registration of child legitimization, household registration certificate or child adoption registration certificate, or other evidence from the government or relevant agency (for dependants) (in case of a Thai spouse

Still wondering why Immigration (not BOI) require that. My first reaction, early October, was that I was an exception with my Thai Wife extensions. But now them seem to make it a rule. So, any ideas?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

Still wondering why Immigration (not BOI) require that. My first reaction, early October, was that I was an exception with my Thai Wife extensions. But now them seem to make it a rule. So, any ideas?

The notification that khunjeff got is really a generic notification written to cover as many variations/possibilities as possible; it's not like each approval type notification is specifically written just for that one applicant's situation.   Generic notifications that try to cover all possible situation can sometimes cause confusion like wondering if this or that applies in your situation.

In the case of folks switching from a marriage visa/extension of stay to an LTR "or" doing an annual renewal of a 1 year marriage extension of stay,  it's just an immigration requirement; not a BOI requirement. 

Like for people switching from say a 1 year retirement extension of stay to a 1 year marriage extension of stay they need to provide marriage related docs (i.e., marriage certificate (Kor Ror 3) that you get when first getting married.....marriage registration (Kor Ror 2) issued within last 30 days that you can easily/quickly get at any district office.....and a copy of Thai wife's Thai ID.   And when doing an annual renewal above docs need to provided again to include the fresh Kor Ror 2.  Now for folks who married a Thai in another country they need to get that foreign marriage registered in the Thai marriage data system and instead of getting a Kor Ror 2 they get a Kor Ror 22....but both the Kor Ror 2 and Kor Ror 22 are basically the same thing....one when you got married in Thailand to a Thai and one for you got married outside of Thailand to a Thai. 

And if you are not even married or divorced you will not have any marriage related docs.  

So, if you are not switching from a marriage visa/extension of stay above mentioned docs are not required/not applicable for issue of the LTR.   It only applies to those switching from a marriage visa/extension of stay to an LTR.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

That's a good question, but then for a follow on addition for a non Thai family member I can see why they would ask. Like in my situation.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Pib said:

So, if you are not switching from a marriage visa/extension of stay above mentioned docs are not required/not applicable for issue of the LTR.   It only applies to those switching from a marriage visa/extension of stay to an LTR.

The point is that marital situation is irrelevant to issuance of a retirement visa wile, as pointed out by @ThailandRyan, it is to the issuance of a visa to the spouse/dependent of a retirement visa holder.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

The point is that marital situation is irrelevant to issuance of a retirement visa wile, as pointed out by @ThailandRyan, it is to the issuance of a visa to the spouse/dependent of a retirement visa holder.

Your marital situation (with a Thai) is relevant if switching from a marriage visa/extension of stay to another type of visa like say a 1 year retirement Non O Visa or LTR visa. 

It is  relevant because "if you are on a marriage visa/extension" which is only granted to those who are married to a Thai that visa/extension in only valid while you still have a living Thai spouse.   That's the main rule--you gotta still be married to the Thai.   If you were to divorce anytime after getting that marriage visa/extension that visa's validity is immediately forfeited even if you just got it last week....and you must immediately leave the country (typically within 7 days) unless you immediately get another type of visa/extension allowed for your new status as no longer being married.   

And unfortunately over the years many farangs have divorced from their Thai spouses while on the marriage extension but did not immediately report their status change to immigration....instead waiting until the marriage extension almost expired and then applied for another extension base on something like retirement.  But immigration is not receptive to switching when you failed to live up to the requirements of your marriage extension.  

When wanting to switch from marriage visa/extension to some other type of visa immigration wants to ensure you lived up to the conditions of the marriage visa you were on; otherwise, they will not approve you for another type visa without you leaving Thailand and getting another visa.   

It kinda similar but more strict than those who say was on a retirement extension but failed to maintain the required income levels while on that extension and when it comes time to renew that retirement extension immigration first wants to see a bank passbook/12 month statement showing you met the income requirements over the past 12 months.  If you failed to to meet those requirement I'm not aware of any rule that says your retirement extension is immediately void but immigration will denied another retirement extension come extension renewal time.  Tell you got to start over by leaving Thailand and getting another visa....or leave Thailand, come back in on a Exempt and then apply for a Non-O within Thailand.

Now I know you may say that immigration does not ask for a bank passbook/12 month bank statement if switching from says a Non O/OA retirement extension to a LTR visa,  but a marriage extension simply has different rules compared to a Non O/OA marriage extension to include the rule that the marriage extension validity ends upon divorce where that rule does not apply to a retirement extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So my screen still shows Step 7, with Return, Pre-Approved.  I wonder what that really means since I have already obtained my Visa and the screen should show step 8.  Looks like they have not fixed my glitch on my app like they said they would.  Guess I will call on Tuesday, since I now live pretty much full time in PKK.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So my screen still shows Step 7, with Return, Pre-Approved.  I wonder what that really means since I have already obtained my Visa and the screen should show step 8.  Looks like they have not fixed my glitch on my app like they said they would.  Guess I will call on Tuesday, since I now live pretty much full time in PKK.

Yea....I'll guess that since your application completed all of it's processing before they implemented the new statuses that your record is simply not being updated anymore....kinda like it has been frozen for further updates...a locked record...an archived record...etc.   

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Your marital situation (with a Thai) is relevant if switching from a marriage visa/extension of stay to another type of visa like say a 1 year retirement Non O Visa or LTR visa. 

It is  relevant because "if you are on a marriage visa/extension" which is only granted to those who are married to a Thai that visa/extension in only valid while you still have a living Thai spouse.   That's the main rule--you gotta still be married to the Thai.   If you were to divorce anytime after getting that marriage visa/extension that visa's validity is immediately forfeited even if you just got it last week....and you must immediately leave the country (typically within 7 days) unless you immediately get another type of visa/extension allowed for your new status as no longer being married.   

And unfortunately over the years many farangs have divorced from their Thai spouses while on the marriage extension but did not immediately report their status change to immigration....instead waiting until the marriage extension almost expired and then applied for another extension base on something like retirement.  But immigration is not receptive to switching when you failed to live up to the requirements of your marriage extension.  

When wanting to switch from marriage visa/extension to some other type of visa immigration wants to ensure you lived up to the conditions of the marriage visa you were on; otherwise, they will not approve you for another type visa without you leaving Thailand and getting another visa.   

It kinda similar but more strict than those who say was on a retirement extension but failed to maintain the required income levels while on that extension and when it comes time to renew that retirement extension immigration first wants to see a bank passbook/12 month statement showing you met the income requirements over the past 12 months.  If you failed to to meet those requirement I'm not aware of any rule that says your retirement extension is immediately void but immigration will denied another retirement extension come extension renewal time.  Tell you got to start over by leaving Thailand and getting another visa....or leave Thailand, come back in on a Exempt and then apply for a Non-O within Thailand.

Now I know you may say that immigration does not ask for a bank passbook/12 month bank statement if switching from says a Non O/OA retirement extension to a LTR visa,  but a marriage extension simply has different rules compared to a Non O/OA marriage extension to include the rule that the marriage extension validity ends upon divorce where that rule does not apply to a retirement extension.

Whoops...significant typo in last paragraph above....corrected below.

Now I know you may say that immigration does not ask for a bank passbook/12 month bank statement if switching from says a Non O/OA retirement extension to a LTR visa,  but a marriage extension simply has different rules compared to a Non O/OA marriage retirement extension to include the rule that the marriage extension validity ends upon divorce where that rule does not apply to a retirement extension.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yea....I'll guess that since your application completed all of it's processing before they implemented the new statuses that your record is simply not being updated anymore....kinda like it has been frozen for further updates...a locked record...an archived record...etc.   

Makes sense, yet they still want me to add the Work Permit information it appears.  Such a cluster.

image.png.18ee3fa0be7e9ccd4a0096bac2692f0e.png

image.png.2c7258cb2516325d11b720fbd055863c.png

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Also there is now a graphic showing the new "statuses" a person see in their online account as their application progresses through the system.   

Very helpful chart, thanks for sharing. So when you are 'qualification approved' you're actually only half way through the full process in fact ????

This explains the relatively long duration from getting the 'approval' notice to the visa issuance. It also clarifies that the other government agencies come after 'approved' and are not part of that, hence 'qualification approved' only.

33 minutes ago, aublumberg said:

It also clarifies that the other government agencies come after 'approved' and are not part of that, hence 'qualification approved' only.

As far as I know other government agencies are involved in Step 3, like checking if you are an internationally wanted terrorist, have grossly violated immigration rules in Thailand in the past, are otherwise 'undesirable' etc.

Edited by K2938
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, aublumberg said:

Very helpful chart, thanks for sharing. So when you are 'qualification approved' you're actually only half way through the full process in fact ????

This explains the relatively long duration from getting the 'approval' notice to the visa issuance. It also clarifies that the other government agencies come after 'approved' and are not part of that, hence 'qualification approved' only.

When a person gets to the "qualification approved" status that mean the "BoI" has determined you meet the BoI requirements like income, insurance, etc.  You are now pretty much home free.

Step 5 thru 8 will now consist of dotting the i's & crossing the t's where the BoI builds/coordinates the final package with  Immigration and/or Dept of Employment.  These steps move pretty fast.   Like immigration looking at the initial package again and sees you appear to be overdue your 90 day address report according to the immigration 90 day address report system and then immigration kicks the package back to BoI saying such and then BoI contacts the applicant identify the problems....ask you to send them your latest 90 day address report receipt or go do the report if you are indeed overdue and then provide the receipt back to BoI.  Then BoI sends the package back to immigration....this makes immigration happy and immigration gives it final coordination to continue on with final approval.   

And if, repeat, if the person currently on a marriage visa/extension, immigration will also request that BoI remind the approved applicant to be sure to bring along earlier talked marriage paperwork on his appointment date to get the visa put in his passport.

Yea, the statuses 5-8 are most dotting I's, crossing t's, wrapping the present in a box with a bow, the final administrative steps needed.   Mostly stuff to fully satisfy immigration and/or if also getting a work permit satisfying the dept of employment.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Pib said:

I see overnight they upgraded the LTR online account website. 

Like the addition of some menus on the far left such as resetting your password for digital work permit and a Signature capability  Also there is now a graphic showing the new "statuses" a person see in their online account as their application progresses through the system.   

These new statuses actually went into effect around two weeks ago...it's just below graphics is new to help explain what they are and what they mean.   And actually there is another status not shown below which would be like Step 7.5 where your status would change to Approved....and then once making an appointment to have the LTR actually put in your passport at BOI immigration the status would change to Appointment.  Please note that starting at Step 6 through 8 those only apply when in your application you said you want the visa issued "within Thailand."   I guess if you choose to have it issued outside of Thailand at an embassy then the final statuses will be somewhat different.

image.png.266d3c1e856b715391fed4c7232f6d4e.png

I see in step 3 that they're still maintaining the fiction that decisions are made within 20 working days. In my case, and most others that I've read about on this forum, they didn't even look at the case within that time period, let alone make a decision.

They can of course take as long as they want to examine each case (and we can argue over whether that time period is reasonable or not), but I would really just like to see them give a more honest estimate of the time required so that applicants don't freak out when their cases take months to be completed. Managing expectations is important. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

18 hours ago, Pib said:

Thanks, no one could have written a better description of what anal bureaucracy is. My point is that it might have been deliberate to make BOI and its customers a bit more miserable.

Frankly, how many people are they going to catch?

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, anotherexpat4444 said:

Thank to this fantastic community .  I came thailand last night with LTR visa .  they took the letter and put a stamp ( which seems same like any other with manually writing 5 year eligibility)  on my passport .  I guess for me the first episode of this LTR is done . 

while starting my LTR life  how do we get an regular bank account . do we go with this letter to the bank ?

The Letter, your passport which shows the Visa, and your cash.  Just ensure you have the info explaining the LTR visa if asked.  I just changed my address and closed my Fixed deposit account with K-bank and transferred the money to my other K-vank account t. All they wanted was my PP and my new houses Blue book.  If you have a lease, take a copy with you for the address information. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The Letter, your passport which shows the Visa, and your cash.  Just ensure you have the info explaining the LTR visa if asked.  I just changed my address and closed my Fixed deposit account with K-bank and transferred the money to my other K-vank account t. All they wanted was my PP and my new houses Blue book.  If you have a lease, take a copy with you for the address information. 

I am seeing  many of the expat preferred K-bank instead of Bangkok Bank  .  Any reason 

30 minutes ago, anotherexpat4444 said:

I am seeing  many of the expat preferred K-bank instead of Bangkok Bank  .  Any reason 

No Idea really.  I had an SCB account when I first arrived in Thailand 20 years ago. Kept it until 4 years ago and because of issues I was having with the banks app for both phone and computer I switched. The K-Bank phone app is fantastic and I use it for paying bills, topping up my True Money account, etc...I also use it to take out money from the ATM as no card is needed. Just my preference.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1