LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Looks like the main LTR BOI site is down.  However, I did find what appears to be an agents page

https://www.ltrvisa.net/

;According to Whois.com the website/domain registrant info is based in Reykjavik Iceland.  Seems to be associated with Star Visa Service as both www.ltrvisa.net and starvisaservice.com have the same registrant info in Whois.com.   And when you go to the starvisaservice.com website and click on its LTR tab you go to ltrvisa.net.  

https://www.whois.com/whois/ltrvisa.net

https://www.whois.com/whois/starvisaservice.com

So, it looks like the ltrvisa.net site is really Star Visa Services based in Chiang Mai....one of those persons/organizations the LTR Disclaimer below informs about....below Disclaimer is as of 4 Jan 2023, 2:20pm

which is when I took the snapshot. And the window for interested parties to apply to become LTR Certified Agents does not close till 31 Jan 2023....how long after that before the BoI completes evaluation & selects LTR Certified Agents is anyone's guess. 

I bet Star Visa Services will be applying to become a LTR Certified Agent and if they become one they already have their LTR webpage up and running.   And I notice the Star Visa Services website says the LTR can be issued at "Thai Immigration Offices in Thailand" which implies "all" immigration offices which is "not" the case at least right now as within Thailand currently the LTR can only be collected at the BoI Chamchuri Square Immigration Office in Bangkok. 

From the BoI website

image.png.b9cd483a3c9bbf16e7ea37b0c45d4c3c.png

From Star Visa Services website

image.png.68fefe493ccaab74a9861d1d1781337b.png

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Pib said:

;According to Whois.com the website/domain registrant info is based in Reykjavik Iceland.  Seems to be associated with Star Visa Service as both www.ltrvisa.net and starvisaservice.com have the same registrant info in Whois.com.   And when you go to the starvisaservice.com website and click on its LTR tab you go to ltrvisa.net.  

https://www.whois.com/whois/ltrvisa.net

https://www.whois.com/whois/starvisaservice.com

So, it looks like the ltrvisa.net site is really Star Visa Services based in Chiang Mai....one of those persons/organizations the LTR Disclaimer below informs about....below Disclaimer is as of 4 Jan 2023, 2:20pm

which is when I took the snapshot. And the window for interested parties to apply to become LTR Certified Agents does not close till 31 Jan 2023....how long after that before the BoI completes evaluation & selects LTR Certified Agents is anyone's guess. 

I bet Star Visa Services will be applying to become a LTR Certified Agent and if they become one they already have their LTR webpage up and running.   And I notice the Star Visa Services website says the LTR can be issued at "Thai Immigration Offices in Thailand" which implies "all" immigration offices which is "not" the case at least right now as within Thailand currently the LTR can only be collected at the BoI Chamchuri Square Immigration Office in Bangkok. 

From the BoI website

image.png.b9cd483a3c9bbf16e7ea37b0c45d4c3c.png

From Star Visa Services website

image.png.68fefe493ccaab74a9861d1d1781337b.png

So possibly a rouge agent, whom as you say folks have been warned about using.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

So possibly a rouge agent, whom as you say folks have been warned about using.

I wouldn't say rouge as they are not advertising they are a direct representative or a BoI/LTR certified agent.   They are just saying describing the LTR visa and to contact them if you want assistance/advice in getting one.  No different than any visa service who will hand-walk a person thru getting a Non-O/OA/B visa/extension of stay, Elite visa, LTR visa, etc.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mudcat said:

Rouge is what your maiden aunt colored her cheeks with.  Think you mean Rogue as in the Nissan SUV and other miscreants.

Or the third opus of Kieślowski's trilogy, 100% on rotten tomatoes.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Below is an 16 Nov 2022 article from the Australian-Thai Chamber of Commerce blog webpage....lists various ways to stay long term in Thailand ordered from the most familiar to more unconventional options.  The article lists the LTR visa as #3.   #2 is a Non-O Marriage visa and #1 a Non-O Retirement visa.  Of course what each individual sees as best suiting their needs & desires will vary from individual-to-individual.

https://www.austchamthailand.com/6-ways-to-stay-in-thailand-for-the-long-term-and-how-to-decide-which-is-best-for-you/#

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alotoftravel said:

How do one obtain information , i.e. interest yield / maturity of 

recent new series of Thai government bond offering ,

I want to purchase THB Government bonds 

In Bangkok bank ? Thanks 

As noted in this thread ... buying Thai government bonds is not easy.  At least it was not easy for me.

Initially I investigated to see if I could purchase Thai governments on a secondary market, but I could not find an institute via which I could so such.

Then in early December last year my Thai wife and I learned of a new Thai Government bond offering being available soon.   We saw this advertised on the Internet and I received email/notifications from Bangkok Bank.

I have accounts with Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank and we went to both banks to see if I could participate in the new offering and try to buy bonds there.  My Krungsri bank branch had nothing setup (yet) for a foreigner to buy Thai government bonds in a new issue, but we were advised by our Bangkok bank branch it was possible, if I could prove my residency (specifically via a yellow book) and if I had a pink-Thai-ID card. 

Honestly?  I am not convinced that is necessary (as I do NOT think it needed), but in my case, it satisfied the Bank branch manager and I had no further need to research this further to satisfy the yellow-book/pink-ID detractors.  I am confident one of them will research this far better than myself, and show how this can be done without needing such (ie not needing yellow-book/pink-ID) ... so maybe just stay tuned until one of them does so.

When talking to the Bangkok Bank staff, we learned that this Bond issue would be handled differently than the past (and I posted on this previous) where instead of the big financial institutes getting 'first dibs' on the bonds, and hence none left for the 'little guy' / small buyer ... We were advised that for the 10-year term bond, priority would be given to the small bond purchaser (where 2-million Thai baht bond purchase is small compared to the big financial institutes that purchase such).  .... We were thou told that the 7-year term was only available for financial institutes ... we did not try to verify if that was correct.

Still - I see it was a gamble in saying I wanted to buy 2-million Thai baht of government bonds, as it was entirely possible I would have ended up with only 500,000 THB of Thai government bonds, which would have been problematic to prove I had the appropriate investment in Thailand (when combined with the value of my Thai real estate purchases).  Fortunately, I obtained the amount of bonds that I requested .... likely because interest rates are expected to go up, at which time the face value of the bonds will decrease and only come back to par at maturity - hence less people are interested to buy bonds at present time.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, lextsy said:

Quick update:

Went to thai embassy Sydney to do my visa today.

Steps:

1) get letter from BOI and print out

2) Fill in this form (https://image.mfa.go.th/mfa/0/mEsUwBHzx5/เอกสาร/Visa_application_form_as_of_4_April_2022.pdf) and print out

3) Go to thai embassy (no booking required for LTR) with BOI Form, visa form (No input for LTR but leave blank) and passport.

4) Go to information, tell them LTR and get ticket to wait in line

4) Give paper to agent and pay fee ($3045 INC Fees)

5) Get slip to pick up in under a week

6) Go to thailand

A little more than 50k THB it appears for out of the country attainment. Wonder why when your just dealing with a consulate or embassy which is linked to Thailand.

56 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

A little more than 50k THB it appears for out of the country attainment. Wonder why when your just dealing with a consulate or embassy which is linked to Thailand.

Yea, $3045 AUD works out to about Bt70K THB.   But I expect Thai embassies/consulate have to cover a major part of cost of operations in foreign countries based on fees vs the Thai govt covering all costs.  And cost of operations/living in each country can vary a lot. 

Like U.S. Embassies/Consulates around the world "by U.S. law" must cover a major portion of certain services like many services to U.S. citizens and foreigners based on fees and not funding direct from the U.S. govt.   Like charging $50 USD for each document you need notarized.....you are basically helping to pay for that manpower position, salary of that person, benefits, housing, etc.....and all of that does get expensive.   

I expect the Thai govt follows a similar policy in ensuring people needing service at a Thai embassy/consulate foot a lot of the bill to keep that embassy/consulate running for various services.

I did consider doing the visa in thailand for 50k baht but when my 50kg on luggage i usually hop into a car for 1000b to my condo in pattaya i would need to get a taxi to a hotel for a night or 2, a night out in cowboy / nana and then a taxi down to pattaya would end up costing me 10k. Happy to seal the deal and get my visa ASAP.

I can also see when the AUD Drops, the value becomes better to do it at home.

10 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yea, $3045 AUD works out to about Bt70K THB.   But I expect Thai embassies/consulate have to cover a major part of cost of operations in foreign countries based on fees vs the Thai govt covering all costs.  And cost of operations/living in each country can vary a lot. 

Like U.S. Embassies/Consulates around the world "by U.S. law" must cover a major portion of certain services like many services to U.S. citizens and foreigners based on fees and not funding direct from the U.S. govt.   Like charging $50 USD for each document you need notarized.....you are basically helping to pay for that manpower position, salary of that person, benefits, housing, etc.....and all of that does get expensive.   

I expect the Thai govt follows a similar policy in ensuring people needing service at a Thai embassy/consulate foot a lot of the bill to keep that embassy/consulate running for various services.

Makes sense. When I visited the US this past February I had to have documents notarized and it was onoyb$25 in country while here, before I left it was $50 per document as you said. I forgot that the embassies and consulates need to make money in order to keep operating. It's no wonder they stopped some services.

I see the LTR issue fee for the Thai Embassy in London is 1,500 pounds/approx Bt60K. (1st snapshot below)

And the LTR issue fee for the Thai Consulate in New York City is 1,600 USD/approx Bt54K. (2nd snapshot)

And per lextsy's post posts above the Thai Consulate in Sydney is 3045 AUD/approx Bt70K.

Yeap, governments all too often use fees to fund a major part of embassy/consulate operations & services in other countries....and those fees can vary form country-to-country vs being a standard fee.

Thai Embassy in London LTR Fee

image.png.3172fd2146262320f9ef1f99d4688aa7.png 

Thai Embassy at New York City LTR Fee

image.png.4f48221cc65839d59300721f0f17e192.png

Edited by Pib

40 minutes ago, Pib said:

I see the LTR issue fee for the Thai Embassy in London is 1,500 pounds/approx Bt60K. (1st snapshot below)

And the LTR issue fee for the Thai Consulate in New York City is 1,600 USD/approx Bt54K. (2nd snapshot)

And per lextsy's post posts above the Thai Consulate in Sydney is 3045 AUD/approx Bt70K.

Yeap, governments all too often use fees to fund a major part of embassy/consulate operations & services in other countries....and those fees can vary form country-to-country vs being a standard fee.

Thai Embassy in London LTR Fee

image.png.3172fd2146262320f9ef1f99d4688aa7.png 

Thai Embassy at New York City LTR Fee

image.png.4f48221cc65839d59300721f0f17e192.png

For consistency and planning, instead of having the local currency price change with currency fluctuations, I think they just set the price once in the local currency. 

As an example, here's the USD price translated into Thai baht on the day the program started, the day I paid for my LTR e-visa, and today:

image.png.4d467d2eedb9d518c445e928d46b93f3.png

Different currencies will have moved against the Thai baht at different rates since the program opened.

• Like 1