LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

6 hours ago, pepper402 said:

Nov 27 - Still waiting...  Status shows pending.  Sent four emails explaining situation and my friend called them to expedite.  BOI agent said that he will get right on this and it should be approved ASAP.

Dec 14 - Still waiting...  Status shows Consideration by Government agencies (whatever that means). 

Don't feel like you are alone in being told things like "...he will get right on it and it should be approved ASAP." 

Over the last three weeks or so I been told similar things like "your application will get looked at within 2 days, my staff will process your application today, your application will be looked at very soon, etc."  The BoI folks are always nice and polite on the phone but unfortunately processing of applications since around early October appear to have slowed down greatly for whatever reasons.   Seems folks who applied in early/mid September got priority treatment maybe because the BoI was better staffed to handle LTR applications at that time, maybe IT system problems has really bogged down their application processing capability, etc....I don't know....just appears applications are taking much longer now to reach either an answer of,  "sorry, you do not meet requirements" OR "congrats you have been approved."

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pib said:

Don't feel like you are alone in being told things like "...he will get right on it and it should be approved ASAP." 

Over the last three weeks or so I been told similar things like "your application will get looked at within 2 days, my staff will process your application today, your application will be looked at very soon, etc."  The BoI folks are always nice and polite on the phone but unfortunately processing of applications since around early October appear to have slowed down greatly for whatever reasons.   Seems folks who applied in early/mid September got priority treatment maybe because the BoI was better staffed to handle LTR applications at that time, maybe IT system problems has really bogged down their application processing capability, etc....I don't know....just appears applications are taking much longer now to reach either an answer of,  "sorry, you do not meet requirements" OR "congrats you have been approved."

Maybe something like 737 MAX syndrome. Worrying for those who have already gotten their visas. I'd wait another 6 months at least and get a Non O, or new extension if I was in the queue right now. Could save you a bit of money.

3 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Maybe something like 737 MAX syndrome. Worrying for those who have already gotten their visas. I'd wait another 6 months at least and get a Non O, or new extension if I was in the queue right now. Could save you a bit of money.

Well, I've been doing annual retirement/marriage extensions for almost a decade and a half now.   Based on the speed my LTR application is crawling thru the process looks like I'll be continuing these annual extensions.   I'm sure others are in a similar situation.   Just a shame the LTR application process has gotten slow.   Seems many applications submitted up until early-mid Oct moved thru the process within 3-6 weeks....but now it's taking significantly longer.    Will just have to wait and see what happens....still time for a Christmas surprise but I'm not holding my breath.

Update:   Known LTR Approvals as of 15 Dec 2022 based on posts in this thread I saw.  Added "Paul3456" who received his Wealthy Pensioner approval on 30 Nov.  See his post above for full details.    Congrats to Paul3456. 

Poster & Date Approval Notice Rec'd

1.   BKKNono  -  15 Sep

2.  ashkale  - 28 Sep

3.  ThailandRyan  - 28 Sep

4.  pepper402  - 29 Sep

5.  gajah  - 30 Sep

6.  Alotoftravel  - 4 Oct

7.  James7  - 4 Oct 

8. & 9.  Misty (and family member)  - 4 Oct

10.  mudcat  - 4 Oct

11. & 12.  stuarty (and wife) - 4 Oct

13.  Boomer6969  - 5 Oct

14.  aublumberg - 12 Oct

15.  JJJJJJJJ  -  8 Nov

16.  smic - 28 Nov

17.  Paul3456 - 30 Nov

18.  anotherexpat4444 - 7 Dec

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

I’m wondering if anyone have got a clue how it works if you need to move the LTR visa to a new passport (expires next year), the young chap at BOI said that I need a document from my embassy, I talked to my embassy who says that they stopped issuing these documents and told me that the main immigration office should already have informed the other offices about this fact.

They guy at BOI also said that I had to buy my new passport from my embassy in Thailand (would prefer not to as 4x price) and that then they would be able to transfer stamps at BOI (immigration), but at times he was contradicting himself, seemed somewhat confused as if he’d never had that question before.

Tia

10 hours ago, User3847385 said:

Hi all,

I’m wondering if anyone have got a clue how it works if you need to move the LTR visa to a new passport (expires next year), the young chap at BOI said that I need a document from my embassy, I talked to my embassy who says that they stopped issuing these documents and told me that the main immigration office should already have informed the other offices about this fact.

They guy at BOI also said that I had to buy my new passport from my embassy in Thailand (would prefer not to as 4x price) and that then they would be able to transfer stamps at BOI (immigration), but at times he was contradicting himself, seemed somewhat confused as if he’d never had that question before.

Tia

I expect it would work just like moving a BOI SMART visa to a new passport.....see bottom of this post from BOI SMART Visa website. 

And although they ask for a Certificate from the Embassy which I expect is just a letter consisting of a sentence or two saying the person has gotten a new passport please provide assistance in transferring stamps/visas to the new passport, the fact is "some" embassies no longer issue such letters and the immigration side of BOI knows this....probably knows which ones don't issue such letters any more.  The BOI rep you talked to probably does not know this and that side of the BOI would not be transferring the info to the new passport but the immigration office collocated with BOI.

Based on my personal experience in calling BOI numerous times over the last 3 weeks or so I have found quite a few reps who answered the phone just seem to be "not-so-experienced".... who are "winging-it" in providing answers or just providing scripted answers which really don't fit the situation.

And I can't see "where your new passport is issued/produced" would make one bit of difference, because I think most embassies actually have a new passport produced/printed back in the home country although you can apply for the new passport at your embassy.   Example: like U.S. passports....you can apply in person or by mail to the U.S. Embassy Bangkok, they take your application, electronically submit it to a U.S. Passport Center in the U.S., that passport center produces/generates the passport & mail it back to the U.S. Embassy who in turn remails it to your Thailland address.  And the U.S. embassy still includes a very, very short letter to Who It May Concern asking for assistance in transferring stamps/visas to the new passport.  But as mentioned some countries no longer do that....all depends on your country...and BoI Immigration will know which ones still provide or don't provide such letters.   

From BOI SMART Visa Webpage

https://smart-visa.boi.go.th/smart/pages/how-to-manage.html

3. Transferring a Smart Visa to a new passport

If you need to transfer a Smart Visa to a new passport, you must apply to have your Smart Visa transferred at the Immigration at One Stop Service Center for Visa and Work Permit (OSS). The required documents are as follows;

• Transfer stamp to new passport form
  • Certificate from embassy (Original one only)
  • Copy of former passport with your photo
  • Copy of new passport with your photo
  • Copy of last arrival stamp in your passport
  • Copy of visa stamp in your passport
  • Copy of last extended visa in your passport
  • Copy of T.M. 6 Card
  • Copy of Smart Visa notification letter of qualification endorsement which is addressed to the Immigration Bureau
  • 1-Year notification card

•  
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pib said:

I expect it would work just like moving a BOI SMART visa to a new passport.....see bottom of this post from BOI SMART Visa website. 

And although they ask for a Certificate from the Embassy which I expect is just a letter consisting of a sentence or two saying the person has gotten a new passport please provide assistance in transferring stamps/visas to the new passport, the fact is "some" embassies no longer issue such letters and the immigration side of BOI knows this....probably knows which ones don't issue such letters any more.  The BOI rep you talked to probably does not know this and that side of the BOI would not be transferring the info to the new passport but the immigration office collocated with BOI.

Based on my personal experience in calling BOI numerous times over the last 3 weeks or so I have found quite a few reps who answered the phone just seem to be "not-so-experienced".... who are "winging-it" in providing answers or just providing scripted answers which really don't fit the situation.

And I can't see "where your new passport is issued/produced" would make one bit of difference, because I think most embassies actually have a new passport produced/printed back in the home country although you can apply for the new passport at your embassy.   Example: like U.S. passports....you can apply in person or by mail to the U.S. Embassy Bangkok, they take your application, electronically submit it to a U.S. Passport Center in the U.S., that passport center produces/generates the passport & mail it back to the U.S. Embassy who in turn remails it to your Thailland address.  And the U.S. embassy still includes a very, very short letter to Who It May Concern asking for assistance in transferring stamps/visas to the new passport.  But as mentioned some countries no longer do that....all depends on your country...and BoI Immigration will know which ones still provide or don't provide such letters.   

From BOI SMART Visa Webpage

https://smart-visa.boi.go.th/smart/pages/how-to-manage.html

•  

Thank you, and you were correct, it is the same as for SMART visa.

I sent them an inquiry this morning and had a reply couple of hours later (see below).

Now I just need to have confirmation that I can enter Thailand at Suvarnabhumi immigration with my old punched passport together with the new unused and that they will accept that.

EED3E27B-031F-4710-BB7F-DDB450118D68.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

40 minutes ago, User3847385 said:

Thank you, and you were correct, it is the same as for SMART visa.

I sent them an inquiry this morning and had a reply couple of hours later (see below).

Now I just need to have confirmation that I can enter Thailand at Suvarnabhumi immigration with my old punched passport together with the new unused and that they will accept that.

EED3E27B-031F-4710-BB7F-DDB450118D68.jpeg

I'm amazed they responded so quickly based on how many people have posted they have waited weeks for BoI to respond to an inquiry submitted on the LTR website. 

Did you use the "Contact" webform on the LTR website or send your inquiry to a specific BoI email address?

And maybe they responded so quick because it was not related to applying for an LTR visa and/or was from a current LTR visa holder vs someone just trying to get a LTR visa.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pib said:

I'm amazed they responded so quickly based on how many people have posted they have waited weeks for BoI to respond to an inquiry submitted on the LTR website. 

Did you use the "Contact" webform on the LTR website or send your inquiry to a specific BoI email address?

And maybe they responded so quick because it was not related to applying for an LTR visa and/or was from a current LTR visa holder vs someone just trying to get a LTR visa.

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised as well, the quick reply I got was when I used the form on the LTR website, I actually sent an email to [email protected] first because I thought maybe that would be quicker (that address was used when I made my appointment) but I never received a reply. 

when I received my reply from the web form it was from the address [email protected], and a follow up question to that email address was replied to just as quickly.

• Thanks 1

On 12/15/2022 at 7:23 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Visit to BOI today. They are working on the glitches to my application to move it to completed and then I will be able to do my dependent. Apparently with the way filled out the new application it connected it to my LTR visa which still shows processing. They promised me by next week I should be able to complete the dependent portion.  They had no idea why it moved my No to Yes for a work permit and then why the other items were being requested.

That's good news, it's good to hear the BoI can help in this way!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Misty said:

That's good news, it's good to hear the BoI can help in this way!

The app seems to be a work in progress as they find more glitches or are told about them. Just glad I was one of the first to navigate the process successfully.  I know you are still facing the newness if the program as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The app seems to be a work in progress as they find more glitches or are told about them. Just glad I was one of the first to navigate the process successfully.  I know you are still facing the newness if the program as well.

Yes, the digital work permit application is still not working unfortunately. Although the BoI has said I don't actually need a work permit to work (the LTR visa covers that), it seems to be required for other transactions in Thailand.

Hi @aublumberg a question for you as I recall you have the LTR visa from Hong Kong and have since traveled to and from Thailand.  Just wondering what stamps you received when you crossed in and out of Thailand?  And have you come back into Thailand again?

The reason I ask is that I have an LTR e-visa and received an entry stamp when I arrived in Thailand in November. It says I have permission to stay for 5 years. But that's the only thing in my passport, and to be honest it's not very grand looking. I'm planning a short international trip in a week from Don Muang. Not sure what to expect at the airport on either end of the trip.  Will bring a separate print out of the LTR e-visa in case there are questions.

9 hours ago, Misty said:

Hi @aublumberg a question for you as I recall you have the LTR visa from Hong Kong and have since traveled to and from Thailand.  Just wondering what stamps you received when you crossed in and out of Thailand?  And have you come back into Thailand again?

The reason I ask is that I have an LTR e-visa and received an entry stamp when I arrived in Thailand in November. It says I have permission to stay for 5 years. But that's the only thing in my passport, and to be honest it's not very grand looking. I'm planning a short international trip in a week from Don Muang. Not sure what to expect at the airport on either end of the trip.  Will bring a separate print out of the LTR e-visa in case there are questions.

I'd make sure the multi re-entry permit is duly stamped in your passport. Maybe worth paying a visit to BOI if you are in Bangkok.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

I'd make sure the multi re-entry permit is duly stamped in your passport. Maybe worth paying a visit to BOI if you are in Bangkok.

Thanks, I'll definitely ask about it.   Didn't occur to me that this might be needed.

Wait. I also got the piddly little 5 year permission to stay stamp in my passport at Phuket immigration coming from uk.

so I have a 10 year visa and 5 years permission to stay why do I need a multi entry permit? Is there the remotest possibility that I would be denied entry coming in and out with these documents?

1 hour ago, stuarty said:

Wait. I also got the piddly little 5 year permission to stay stamp in my passport at Phuket immigration coming from uk.

so I have a 10 year visa and 5 years permission to stay why do I need a multi entry permit? Is there the remotest possibility that I would be denied entry coming in and out with these documents?

That’s how I was looking at it. It sounds like Ltd holders who received theirs in Bangkok also got some kind of re entry stamp. since I’m already planning to go to the BoI to check on digital work permits, will ask about this as well.

7 hours ago, Misty said:

That’s how I was looking at it. It sounds like Ltd holders who received theirs in Bangkok also got some kind of re entry stamp. since I’m already planning to go to the BoI to check on digital work permits, will ask about this as well.

That's what us locals  get

Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 07.00.33.pdf

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

That last stamp on the lower right of your PP is a new one they must gave added after I picked mine up on the 7th of October. Your PP must also expire before the 1st 5 years is up.  I wonder if that's why you have that stamp.

20221207_092956.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

That last stamp on the lower right of your PP is a new one they must gave added after I picked mine up on the 7th of October. Your PP must also expire before the 1st 5 years is up.  I wonder if that's why you have that stamp.

20221207_092956.jpg

Interesting....all I have is a small "Admitted 11 Nov 2022  Until 09/11/2027" with hand written "LTR-X" visa type, and "E-visa". 

Takes up very little space - I kind of liked that my passport pages wouldn't be filled with all the annual large stamps. 

Will show this to the BoI when I go and see what they think.  It seems unlikely I'd be refused re-entry - the LTR e-visa print out is clear that the visa is good for 10 years,   But the last thing travelers need is additional hassle and time wasted at the IO desk.  If additional stamps, bells and whistles help avoid that then I'm all for it.

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, Misty said:

But the last thing travelers need is additional hassle and time wasted at the IO desk.  If additional stamps, bells and whistles help avoid that then I'm all for it.

Interesting. Re-entry stamps aren't required for re-entries using an unexpired visa. So, technically, with a 10-year LTR visa, you shouldn't need a re-entry stamp..... But, since it really is a 5-year visa, renewable for another 5 years -- what's the poor airport IO supposed to use for guidance in stamping you in? Ah, as he's conditioned to look for a re-entry stamp, then to use that stamp's "until" date for the new stamp's "until" date -- bingo. Takes the guess work out of trying to figure out how to treat a 10-year visa, with maximum 5-year permissions of stay.

And if no re-entry permit stamp? I guess use the "until" date on the last (or only) permission of stay stamp.... And if no last permission of stay stamp -- well, we've seen that they give you a 5-year period, beginning at today's date, not the date of issue of the LTR. Not sure that is what they envisioned, as they probably wanted your first 5-year permission of stay period to be "until" you're due to renew your bonafides for the second 5-year permission.

Interesting learning curve.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Interesting. Re-entry stamps aren't required for re-entries using an unexpired visa. So, technically, with a 10-year LTR visa, you shouldn't need a re-entry stamp..... But, since it really is a 5-year visa, renewable for another 5 years -- what's the poor airport IO supposed to use for guidance in stamping you in? Ah, as he's conditioned to look for a re-entry stamp, then to use that stamp's "until" date for the new stamp's "until" date -- bingo. Takes the guess work out of trying to figure out how to treat a 10-year visa, with maximum 5-year permissions of stay.

And if no re-entry permit stamp? I guess use the "until" date on the last (or only) permission of stay stamp.... And if no last permission of stay stamp -- well, we've seen that they give you a 5-year period, beginning at today's date, not the date of issue of the LTR. Not sure that is what they envisioned, as they probably wanted your first 5-year permission of stay period to be "until" you're due to renew your bonafides for the second 5-year permission.

Interesting learning curve.

Indeed, it is a learning curve for an IO as it is not the Elite Visa they are used to, nor is it an actual visa sticker like my old O-A was which for the first year was an ME visa and for the 2nd year I needed a ME re-entry stamp in order to keep the O-A alive and travel in and out.....

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/17/2022 at 10:32 AM, Misty said:

Hi @Misty am currently on my third trip into Thailand after receiving my LTR-T. I got a sticker from the Royal Thai Consulate in Hong Kong which states multi entry and valid until Oct 2032. When I enter Thailand, I get a normal entry stamp which shows permission to stay until 27 Oct 2027. Exit stamp is a normal one, nothing special. I think the Immigration Officers are aware that LTR is multi entry. On the other hand LTR is still quite new. During my most recent entry, it took three officers a good 15 mins to figure it all out. Not quite the usual 'Fast Pass' lane experience but all good.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, aublumberg said:

Hi @Misty am currently on my third trip into Thailand after receiving my LTR-T. I got a sticker from the Royal Thai Consulate in Hong Kong which states multi entry and valid until Oct 2032. When I enter Thailand, I get a normal entry stamp which shows permission to stay until 27 Oct 2027. Exit stamp is a normal one, nothing special. I think the Immigration Officers are aware that LTR is multi entry. On the other hand LTR is still quite new. During my most recent entry, it took three officers a good 15 mins to figure it all out. Not quite the usual 'Fast Pass' lane experience but all good.

Thanks @aublumberg, good to know that you've been back and forth a couple of times with at most a 15 min wait.  One difference is that you do have the sticker from the HK consulate in your passport. For the LTR e-visa, all I have is a paper print-out. So there's nothing in my passport except for the small entry stamp.  I could always carry the print-out folded up in my passport, but for expediency/clarity will see if there's some official looking stamp the BoI can put in the passport as well. 

• Like 1