Looking For Reliable Printer With Large Ink Bottles Added

Smithson

I'm looking to get a new printer, nothing flash just something reliable (prints clearly, doesn't jam, break down etc.).

At Pantip I've seen large ink bottles added on to the side and am very interested in these. If anybody has experience with these I'd be very interested to hear.

Thanks!

Guest Reimar

I using an Epson for a long time with added Ink Bottles. Tested also Canon and HP but they not as good as Epson.

The only things you have to be care for is the kind of ink using. Epson is using Pigment ink and that ink gives a much better result as the one Canon and HP is using.

I suggest you to look for an Epson Stylus Photo and direct the one you can print CD's as well.

The best Shop for this in Pantip is Bagone Engineering on the Ground Floor. Talk to K. Narong, he's the owner and knows the most about printer &c!

As you seem to printing large amounts and daily if you need external tanks perhaps you will have better luck with Epson than I. I have had two and never again. If you failed to print for a couple of days you had to clean print head several times (and use a lot of ink) to get the colors right again. It was never dependable - one print might be ok and the next trash. And very, very slow for quality prints.

I bought a Canon Pixma several years ago and have had to clean once, one time. Prints are much better and faster than Epson.

OK, two things. If you're going to be using the external add-on tanks, you'd better plan on using the printer often, as in daily. I have a friend who had the tanks added, and she didn't use it for a few days, and the printer heads clogged up to the point that they were unusable. The warranty of course doesn't cover this, so it's new printer time (replacement heads cost about as much as a new printer). The ink used in the external tanks is also NOT the same type as the genuine ones, so don't expect great color or long life from them.

If you're NOT going to be using the external tanks, then currently the rate of head clogging is much lower than it used to be. Still, Epson is generally not as good as Canon at this. I've left my Canon sitting unused for several months, and it still worked without a hitch.

If you want to print cheaply without using the external tanks, it's possible. Just choose a printer which uses separate cartridges for each color and check in advance how big the cartridges are and how much each one is. I've owned a Canon inkjet for several years now and printed thousands of photos, yet I've changed the cartridges only twice (at 300 baht per color).

If you're only going to be printing large amounts of black, then BUY A LASER. It's much faster, looks better, and costs A LOT LESS PER PAGE than inkjet when printing black. Of course, it also doesn't clog.

Edited by Firefoxx

today i ask the price for setup for the epson 230

1800 baht

cost for the bottles 80 baht each

as said , need to use it everyday

the reset version 4.20 do not help for the epson 270

Edited by simcity

go for a epson , my friend are using non stop this printer with add bottles .

here is a link to reset the printer

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

do not paid 200 baht for the shop to do it .

Thanks!

I checked out the site.

However, I'm using an Epson Stylus Phot R210 and in the list of supported printers, there are two asterisks (**) written after the model, which means:

** - NOTE! It is impossible to reset ink counters by software methods on this printers.

Use "ink freezer" function to maintain current ink level and "hot swap" to use refilled old cartridges.

Or use additional device.

I don't understand this note.

Can it or can it not be reset??? I'm not a tech guy... sorry. :o

Edited by junkofdavid2

go for a epson , my friend are using non stop this printer with add bottles .

here is a link to reset the printer

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

do not paid 200 baht for the shop to do it .

Thanks!

I checked out the site.

However, I'm using an Epson Stylus Phot R210 and in the list of supported printers, there are two asterisks (**) written after the model, which means:

** - NOTE! It is impossible to reset ink counters by software methods on this printers.

Use "ink freezer" function to maintain current ink level and "hot swap" to use refilled old cartridges.

Or use additional device.

I don't understand this note.

Can it or can it not be reset??? I'm not a tech guy... sorry. :o

my friend using a R230 , they have the ** when you read the http://www.ssclg.com/epsons.shtml ( support printers )

He do not have any problem to reset the printer with the program.

not sure what the quote mean , it is perhaps about to change to a copy catrige , not the ink bottle ?

they have a extend forum for the program :

http://www.ssclg.com/cgi-bin/netboard/netb...p;fct=gotoforum

Edited by simcity

I bought an Epson CX2800 with bottles a couple of months ago and so far so good (knock on wood). I sometimes do not use it for days at a time and so far no clogging problems. It is wonderful not to have to buy or refill all the time.

I have the Canon IX4000 printer (cost B8900 - B800 gas coupon). Ink tank B2200. Been using it for my business and it's great. Make sure you print something everyday or every other day even if its just 1 photo.

For my GF's little brother I have the Epson c58. B2900 including the tank. Slow, decent prints but great for the little kid. Also this printer requires no "modification" so if something bad happens you can put the original ink cartridge back in, remove the tank and send it in for warranty ( I hope).

Ski...

• 2 years later...

I actually use a Brother with larger ink. The good is that you don't need to modify the printer but just put a bigger ink tank in the same slot.

Work very good. Back from one month holiday. I open back the printer and just start to print again, without any problem.

With canon the printing head was dry and need shop maintenance to print again.

As you seem to printing large amounts and daily if you need external tanks perhaps you will have better luck with Epson than I. I have had two and never again. If you failed to print for a couple of days you had to clean print head several times (and use a lot of ink) to get the colors right again. It was never dependable - one print might be ok and the next trash. And very, very slow for quality prints.

I bought a Canon Pixma several years ago and have had to clean once, one time. Prints are much better and faster than Epson.

Totally agree! I've used both the epson and the canon pixma and the canon is a much better option. Fast and cheaper than the epson (I paid 8,000 for the epson R230 and 6.000 for the pixma 4500i, both with inktank) My canon has printed at least 4,000 units and had had one head change recently.

today i ask the price for setup for the epson 230

1800 baht

cost for the bottles 80 baht each

as said , need to use it everyday

the reset version 4.20 do not help for the epson 270

A friend of mine in Chonburi sells the Epson set up for 1000 baht so shop around :)

I've used an Epson R300 with external inks for about five years now and never had a problem. When I shipped it to Thailand four years ago it meant it wasn't used for over three months but it still worked straight away, with just a simple head clean. While I agree that sometimes when you buy replacement inks the colours might be slightly different from the originals when I needed replacements I bought large bottles (they cost 400 baht a bottle) then spent a little time adjusting the 'colour levels' on the printer to compensate. I've been using this ink for two years now and still have nearly half a bottle of each colour left so if using replacement inks means adjusting the colour levels every few years I can live with that (the printer'll probably wear out first) :D