Lower back stretching exercise

Gecko123

I started doing this stretching exercise after reading the below article, and it has really made my lower back feel 10 years younger after just a few days. My only word of caution is that this exercise does challenge your balance, so start out slowly and have something to steady yourself when first starting out.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/08/sports-medicine-doctor-shares-the-stretch-he-does-every-day-to-prevent-lower-back-pain-ease-your-flare-ups.html

I used to have all the time lower back pain. I went to see a chiropractor in Bangkok. He fixed my problem in 2 to 3 sessions. He told me that lower back pain more often than not is due to lack of stomach mussels. He told me to exercise my stomach mussels if my back pain comes back. Done stomach exercises like sit ups since then and never ever had any serious issues with lower back pain.  

• Like 1

I brought on a very painful and prolonged episode of SCIATICA by doing stretching exercises inappropriate for my age which is over 70.

I am not suggesting the exercise the OP is highlighting is bad but if you are over 50, do some serious research before initiating any exercise.  What is beneficial for one person may be harmful to another.

I learned the hard and painful way the cost of such a mistake. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, dddave said:

I brought on a very painful and prolonged episode of SCIATICA by doing stretching exercises inappropriate for my age which is over 70.

I am not suggesting the exercise the OP is highlighting is bad but if you are over 50, do some serious research before initiating any exercise.  What is beneficial for one person may be harmful to another.

I learned the hard and painful way the cost of such a mistake. 

I am in a similar cohort as you. Any isometric exercise can bring on past issues.

I find a long slow swim before any exercise usually protects me from any injury.

I would not recommend that exercise in the OP link, as bending over is probably the worst thing you can do for lower back pain.

Would give sit ups a pass also and do stomach crunches instead (simply raise legs & crest of floor)

Crunches work the stomach, and for the back, assume push up position, keep groin on the floor,

and push up with arms as far as possible, putting back in a concave position.

1 hour ago, Pitak Chirachat said:

I used to have all the time lower back pain. I went to see a chiropractor in Bangkok. He fixed my problem in 2 to 3 sessions. He told me that lower back pain more often than not is due to lack of stomach mussels. He told me to exercise my stomach mussels if my back pain comes back. Done stomach exercises like sit ups since then and never ever had any serious issues with lower back pain.  

Exactly the conclusing on belly toning I'm coming to - except it is going to upper neck problems. Thanks for sharing that.

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Funny. I do it anyway, but a slow swim [i only have 2 speeds -slow and off] often hurts my lower back..?? 

It will if you have something where you shouldn't arch your back, swimming is one of those to avoid, you won't know unless you see an expert, although pain is telling you

3 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Well, that's something and if it benefits you, great.

I like this guy better, following a major authority on back pain. He's more work, however.

Core strengthening is another topic I won't get into except to disagree with the above. Situps: no. Crunches, no. Leg raises, yes. Planks, yes, which you can combine with pikes as shown here, keeping the back straight and hinging.

I do pikes with a TRX, but I bought my gf a couple of gliders from Lazada for the purpose; she's doing great with them like this, except adding the improvement of a slower rep and static hold at the top.

Core has a few sides, not just the stomach, BTW; but again, another topic.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

I didn't swim, but did use to treat water.  When adding the pool to the one house here, half was 2+m and the other half was 1+m.  Not sure if back benefited but rest of me did, with no impact on the back, while getting a pretty intense work out.

That and cycling, which back definitely benefited from.  My issues being lower (L1-5) discs.

38 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It will if you have something where you shouldn't arch your back, swimming is one of those to avoid, you won't know unless you see an expert, although pain is telling you

I don't agree with the "swimming is one of those to avoid" part!

Swim away from lower back pain (doctorcall.co.uk)

Edited by LosLobo

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Depends what the back issue is, if your back hurts after swimming it's a problem

Apologies I should have been more specific. Your post intimated that all swimming should be avoided because all swimming arches your back. That is not the case, some forms of swimming doesn't. I never suggested that if your back hurts after swimming it's a not problem and agree a medical opinion should always be sought especially before embarking on any new exercise regime.

58 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

side or back... mostly... I do sort of big step, jump aerobics as well.. walking... 

First get a medical opinion about the back pain and exercise.

Side and back stroke shouldn't hyper extend your back muscles. Maybe try some gentle crawl or some of your existing strokes but without arm extension with the help of a flotation device or possibly flippers.

Large flippers could cause back hyper extension, small training flippers would be ideal if available.

3 Essential Tips for Swimming with Back Pain (spine-health.com)

Edited by LosLobo

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's not what i said, try and be more accurate 

With respect, I didn't say it was what you said.

Try and be more accurate ????

Maybe lookup the meaning of "intimated"! 

Edited by LosLobo

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I would not recommend that exercise in the OP link, as bending over is probably the worst thing you can do for lower back pain.

Would give sit ups a pass also and do stomach crunches instead (simply raise legs & crest of floor)

Crunches work the stomach, and for the back, assume push up position, keep groin on the floor,

and push up with arms as far as possible, putting back in a concave position.

When I was having the worst of Sciatica, the only position: standing, sitting or laying down that didn't cause pain was laying on my stomach with 2 pillows under my upper chest, my chin overhanging.  As KhunLA stated, the back in a concave position.  Half push-ups like he described, done very slowly with arms only, hips staying on the bed.  I'd start with very slow head lifts, from looking down to straight ahead, then finish with leg lifts, slowly and one at a time. no more than five lifts each.  Took about two months to get the sciatica under control.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pitak Chirachat said:

Muscles

Mussels are seafood

41 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Muscles

Mussels are seafood

i find that with those kind of mussels the best position is knees on the floor and head over the toilet ...

hopefully your core stomach muscles are in good shape

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, BigStar said:

Well, that's something and if it benefits you, great.

I like this guy better, following a major authority on back pain. He's more work, however.

Core strengthening is another topic I won't get into except to disagree with the above. Situps: no. Crunches, no. Leg raises, yes. Planks, yes, which you can combine with pikes as shown here, keeping the back straight and hinging.

I do pikes with a TRX, but I bought my gf a couple of gliders from Lazada for the purpose; she's doing great with them like this, except adding the improvement of a slower rep and static hold at the top.

Core has a few sides, not just the stomach, BTW; but again, another topic.

The toe touching is exactly what brought on my Sciatica.  Halfway through my 2km walk my lower back would start to tighten-up so some good back stretches touching my toes should fix that; right?   Wrong!  Bad idea.

• Thanks 1

i do daily stretches, but the one that I can really feel stretching my lower back is one that they call the "Downward Dog" in yoga.  Lots of info on Google. It also stretches the leg muscles and tendons.

But I agree with other posters that stomach tightening exercises are beneficial as well.