10Mbps unlimited internet seems too slow for watching any news clip or football game

steven100

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

Just using my All-in-one PC  connected via my mobile - USB lead. 

It mainly buffers when I try to watch a series on 123movies  ...  

Then I think you know your answer. It's likely nothing to do with your home connection. But if you want to, you can choose to move up in speed, just in case.

Is the AIS SIM in a phone? You can temporarily add a full speed pack to the current SIM, in order to find out the highest speed you can get with them currently. Typing in *777*7022# using the phone keypad and the pressing the Dial key, gives 600 MB in volume for 21.40 baht. Enough to run a few speed tests.

If you obtain higher speeds than 10 Mbps, then you can consider moving up to whatever pack fits with your max speed on your speed tests. i.e Unlimited 15, 20 or 30 Mbps.

So add the pack and give it a go.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Then I think you know your answer. It's likely nothing to do with your home connection. But if you want to, you can choose to move up in speed, just in case.

Is the AIS SIM in a phone? You can temporarily add a full speed pack to the current SIM, in order to find out the highest speed you can get with them currently. Typing in *777*7022# using the phone keypad and the pressing the Dial key, gives 600 MB in volume for 21.40 baht. Enough to run a few speed tests.

If you obtain higher speeds than 10 Mbps, then you can consider moving up to whatever pack fits with your max speed on your speed tests. i.e Unlimited 15, 20 or 30 Mbps.

So add the pack and give it a go.

ok,  when I go out later I'll top up and then do a few speed tests....  i'll let you know later. tks

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

ok,  when I go out later I'll top up and then do a few speed tests....  i'll let you know later. tks

Do the speed tests in the location where you actually stream the movies. Top up, add the full speed day pack and then run the speed tests. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Give it 1-2 years at most and we will all be using TESLA Internet, you can easily share it with 10-20-30 people.

I think you are dreaming.

People in the UK who have Starlink report it cost 89 Gbp per month, for less than 100 Mbps. With an initial installation cost of about 500 Gbp

Streaming IPTV or free apps, does not work.

Geolocation is at your house.

Sharing is explicit prohibited in the terms and conditions of the SpaceX contract, and it would also be impossible to share it with anyone outside your WI-FI range.

image.png.300871d2a0887a793d5a4a1aea8aeb09.pngimage.png.aaa9f4c93ed4f3538cd25e3b9b0f4ba2.png

38 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Just using my All-in-one PC  connected via my mobile - USB lead. 

It mainly buffers when I try to watch a series on 123movies  ...  

Which 123movies domain?  With one of your speedtests above we can see your network is capable of receiving the full 10/10 connection you pay for which is more than enough for 1080p and lower quality. So either

a. At times your network slows down due to congestion.

b. The problem is on 123movies end, they just don't have enough server capacity.

Next time you are buffering do a speed test, if you're still at 10/10 to international speed test servers then it's option b. If you're at < 5 download then it might be option a.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

I think you are dreaming.

People in the UK who have Starlink report it cost 89 Gbp per month, for less than 100 Mbps. With an initial installation cost of about 500 Gbp

Streaming IPTV or free apps, does not work.

Geolocation is at your house.

Sharing is explicit prohibited in the terms and conditions of the SpaceX contract, and it would also be impossible to share it with anyone outside your WI-FI range.

image.png.300871d2a0887a793d5a4a1aea8aeb09.pngimage.png.aaa9f4c93ed4f3538cd25e3b9b0f4ba2.png

Additionally, Starlink has to be licenced in each territory.  Forgive my pessimism, but I can't see Thailand allowing Starlink unfettered access to the Thai market...

• 1 year later...

We have just about completed building a house in rural Isaan, and I want to set up a 4G/5G SIM router for wifi use. Unfortunately we are located about 2km from the nearest village where fiber optic is available, so 4G is our only available option for internet.

I have decided to throw away the AIS pocket wifi that I bought a few months ago because it simply does not have the range that a proper router has. My plans include setting up wifi security cameras as well as a wifi camera doorbell so a router with good wifi range is required.

I have decided on the TP-Link AC1200 4G+ dual band Gigabit LTE Wi-Fi router, as it gets great reviews and will be able to be used with my TP-Link OneMesh products, to provide a single wifi name for seamless whole of property coverage.

But my problem is trying to find an appropriate ISP.

DTAC coverage is atrocious in our area, AIS is pretty good, 3BBB is non-existent, and I don't know about True or NT as nobody uses either their phone SIMs or fiber networks in our village.

I have tried to find unlimited data AIS 4G SIMs with a 20 Mbps download speed but to no avail.

I have found plenty that say unlimited data, but most are capped at 70GB of data per month then it reverts to 1 Mbps, which is unsuitable for my streaming and torrent use.

Can anyone recommend a product (or provide a link) that I could try?

@Encid

No idea, I used that AIS Wifi (4G) when we build here, but what got us our Fiber was

1- Find out which provider service your Area

2- Pester their Info number (local office also) often

3- Mention that you are willing to pay for the Cable to be run to your location

4- Find out who the designated Service People are and give them some "coffee money"

5- Have patience

In the end the only provider in the area came and pulled a line (just for us) over a distance of around 1,5kms at a cost of around 18k THB and from start to finish this took around 4-5 months.

• Like 1

Are you streaming from abroad? If yes, try testmy.net website and select which country you wish to test speed against.

The SpeedTest is generally to closest point, often just from you to your operator, but that speed would drop dramatically when connecting outside the country.

Just now, MJCM said:

In the end the only provider in the area came and pulled a line (just for us) over a distance of around 1,5kms at a cost of around 18k THB and from start to finish this took around 4-5 months.

18K is a bit rich for a fiber cable connection, but if it is the only alternative then I will pursue it.

At least with fiber you can get 100 Mbps or better, but 4G is (currently) limited.

The 4G LTE Cat6 router that I am looking at is capable of providing broadband speeds of up to 300 Mbps.

I do not want to have to wait 4-5 months to have an internet connection... 4G or 5G is currently the only option.

Just now, tomazbodner said:

Are you streaming from abroad? If yes, try testmy.net website and select which country you wish to test speed against.

At my current home in Najomtien I have an NT fiber-to-home connection, and testmy.net indicates that I get about 65 Mbps downloading from London, 60 Mbps from LA, 76 Mbps from Tokyo, and 97 Mbps from Singapore.

It would be great to get these download speeds from a 4G/5G connection, but I don't think it's possible.

10 minutes ago, Encid said:

18K is a bit rich for a fiber cable connection, but if it is the only alternative then I will pursue it.

At least with fiber you can get 100 Mbps or better, but 4G is (currently) limited.

The 4G LTE Cat6 router that I am looking at is capable of providing broadband speeds of up to 300 Mbps.

I do not want to have to wait 4-5 months to have an internet connection... 4G or 5G is currently the only option.

I fully agree that 18k is expensive, but just have 1 month with that 4G/5G connection and let's talk again.

In my area, after 4pm I could not even stream Radio stations till around 10pm and forget about it in the weekends and on Holidays.

But of course YMMV

:wai:

Edit: The 18k was the price around 2-3 years ago, so could have become cheaper.

Edited by MJCM
  • Haha 1

Just now, MJCM said:

I fully agree that 18k is expensive, but just have 1 month with that 4G/5G connection and let's talk again.

:cheesy:

I know... I'm spoilt where I am now...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Encid said:

I have 300/300MiB (but paying for 500/500 but the speedtest goes only to 300) here now, and I live 1,5km from the nearest box and I download from my Server in Europe at great speeds.

I am very happy, the only bad things that happen (knock wood) is during rice harvest. Because the guys left the cable (our one) hanging a bit low, so during rice harvest the harvester snaps it, but it's usually fixed in a couple of hours

Edited by MJCM

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I am very happy, the only bad things that happen (knock wood) is during rice harvest. Because the guys left the cable (our one) hanging a bit low, so during rice harvest the harvester snaps it, but it's usually fixed in a couple of hours

If they straighten the cable they may gain a few hundred meters, and you get your 500 Mbps ????

I have seen places near here where the cable goes over the ground between 2 poles.

1 minute ago, BenStark said:

If they straighten the cable they may gain a few hundred meters, and you get your 500 Mbps ????

I have seen places near here where the cable goes over the ground between 2 poles.

We told them so many times, but no use. I am more then happy with what I have because the alternative is 4G/5G and that definitely (at that time) didn't work here.

In our other (OLD House) they strung the cable (Fiber) over the ground as well, they forgot about it and only when we called they came and a guy climbed up a ladder and tied the cable to a another cable that was there with a tie wrap :cheesy:

37 minutes ago, Encid said:

Yep speed is something you get used to, when I was young connecting to a BBS on a 2400 baud Modem, I was so jealous of they guys that had 9600 or 14.4 Kbit/s WOW. And now look we have 300MiB and we still sometimes think it's slow 5555555555555555

Edited by MJCM

23 hours ago, Encid said:

We have just about completed building a house in rural Isaan, and I want to set up a 4G/5G SIM router for wifi use. Unfortunately we are located about 2km from the nearest village where fiber optic is available, so 4G is our only available option for internet.

I have decided to throw away the AIS pocket wifi that I bought a few months ago because it simply does not have the range that a proper router has. My plans include setting up wifi security cameras as well as a wifi camera doorbell so a router with good wifi range is required.

I have decided on the TP-Link AC1200 4G+ dual band Gigabit LTE Wi-Fi router, as it gets great reviews and will be able to be used with my TP-Link OneMesh products, to provide a single wifi name for seamless whole of property coverage.

DTAC coverage is atrocious in our area, AIS is pretty good, 3BBB is non-existent, and I don't know about True or NT as nobody uses either their phone SIMs or fiber networks in our village.

I have tried to find unlimited data AIS 4G SIMs with a 20 Mbps download speed but to no avail.

I have found plenty that say unlimited data, but most are capped at 70GB of data per month then it reverts to 1 Mbps, which is unsuitable for my streaming and torrent use.

You missed out on the AIS unlimited options. Your only chance to get one now is if someone gifts you one of their existing SIM cards. 
DTAC and NT share infrastructure. Truemove H SIM is 50 baht or less to be able to test. 

I’m guessing that you refer to the MR-600

On 10/10/2023 at 4:19 PM, Encid said:

If you can see yourself being satisfied with an up to 10Mbps connection and if AIS really is the only game in your village, then take a look at GoMo(powered by AIS): https://gomo.th/package

You’ll need to register it under your partner’s details. 99 baht for a one year basic pack with an monthly fee of 149 baht for the Unlimited 10 Mbps pack. 

DAFF0C63-ED1D-4DA1-A101-DD0B9B39F9A6.thumb.jpeg.06a6638b577c17d8eead11896ee0c753.jpeg

20 hours ago, NextG said:

If you can see yourself being satisfied with an up to 10Mbps connection and if AIS really is the only game in your village, then take a look at GoMo(powered by AIS): https://gomo.th/package

You’ll need to register it under your partner’s details. 99 baht for a one year basic pack with an monthly fee of 149 baht for the Unlimited 10 Mbps pack. 

image.png.1d61add8ff5e4d42583bc5761e57dd81.png

AIS really is the only viable carrier in our area - see this website.

That sounds like my only option... thanks for the feedback.

The one year basic pack plus an "on-top pack" : link

image.png.cd7bc4e23396f449e3b2a4a5f368ba04.png image.png.fb7c65a0177afbb97578001200a62ae4.png

And I will do as @MJCM suggested... pester the local fiber company to extend their services to our new home. 

21 hours ago, NextG said:

I’m guessing that you refer to the MR-600

Yes, the Archer MR-600 wifi router.