Pressure Washer recomendations?

stupidfarang

A few months ago I bought a Total pressure washer on line. It was a total disaster only running for a few minutes before cutting off and on.

Went to Ruangsangthai and got a Bosch with a continuous running capability of 40 minutes plus. Best one I've ever had.

Edited by Muhendis

Some years back I spent quite a bit of time looking at the various brands available here, and decided that a Karcher would suit me the best. The normal price was not far short of 6,000 Baht but I waited and watched for months and eventually got it in a sale for 2,800 Baht. That was 5 or 6 years ago and it's been a great machine, even surviving at the hands of my builder who is really rough with stuff. I gather that there are Karcher service centres here so you can get it fixed if something goes wrong, but so far there's been no need.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

from Lazada?

I've bought Hyundai and paid extra for the machines at HomePro because they'll honor the warranty and pay to send it to Bangkok to have them repaired.

Make sure to use the filters as the silt or minerals in the water will gunk up the pumps inside.

Lazada is cheaper though.  I just find power washers tend to breakdown easily.  We've got 3 and all have been repaired at one time or another, under warranty fortunately.

Power washers are great around the house! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

mainly for washing the black mould off the concrete.

Have you considered spraying it with bleach?

Spray it plenty early evening when the sun is down and you don't expect rain.

Leave it for a few days, and you can remove it with a brush and a garden spray.

• Like 1

I've got a 120 bar Zinsano pressure washer. Works great!

Funny enough, I removed the black/green slime build-up outside on my concrete drive this morning ... No problem!

Make sure the washer you buy has the correct attachments, some haven't got the rotating circular attachment that is specifically for cleaning hard surfaces etc. 

Edited by Madgee
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Are the pressure washers being talked about too much pressure for washing a car.  Dont want to peel the paint just the bugs.

Yes you can adjust the nozzle to a wider spray, don't stand to close and beware of any transfers you have as it can peel those off, you will need to give it a wipe over with shampoo before though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Yes you can adjust the nozzle to a wider spray, don't stand to close and beware of any transfers you have as it can peel those off, you will need to give it a wipe over with shampoo before though.

I currently wash the car and motorbike by hand, but with the bugs it takes a lot of bending over at the front to scrub them away, and with a triple fusion in the neck and low back it takes it's toll, that's why I was asking.  Thank you for the information.

• Like 1

Seems like youv'e got some good recommendations. Just  a suggestion  on a couple of things if your town water supply is pretty dirty,  ie like in parts of Hua Hin the abrasive content in the water will shorten the life of the pressure washer so if you can use either filtered or settled tank water it will help. If your trying to remove the black algae/mould from the concrete and sand wash pre spray with liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) commonly used as a sanitiser for swimming pools diluted  1/3chlorine  2/3 water. Add a small amount of liquid washing detergent to the mix. PH value is similar to cement PH 13-14 so it will not degrade the cement bond as will  Hydrochloric acid. Try to spray and brush in the shade as UV in sunlight will rapidly dillute  the chlorine. Leave chlorine for about 20 mins and the algae should have a slight colour change to brown Pressure wash off. Further suggest when the rsiny season comes to an end to spray the affected areas  with a dilluted mix of Benzekonium Chloride (Sold here as a sanitiser from Lazada and called BKC) which is a type of cationic surfactant This will inhibit the regrowth of  algae/mould but you will have to apply it on a regular basis.  Be sure to use correct safety equipt procedures as liquid chlorine will strip off skin in undiluted form. Hope this helps for a loger term solution. If you can't find liquid chlorine Haiter bleach will do close to neat but a bit expensive. Hope this is f help

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 8:43 PM, MrJ2U said:

I've bought Hyundai and paid extra for the machines at HomePro because they'll honor the warranty and pay to send it to Bangkok to have them repaired.

Make sure to use the filters as the silt or minerals in the water will gunk up the pumps inside.

Lazada is cheaper though.  I just find power washers tend to breakdown easily.  We've got 3 and all have been repaired at one time or another, under warranty fortunately.

Power washers are great around the house! 

Thank you, a friend has a Hyundai and it has broken down. filters are they external to the machine?

On 7/14/2022 at 3:07 PM, Muhendis said:

A few months ago I bought a Total pressure washer on line. It was a total disaster only running for a few minutes before cutting off and on.

Went to Ruangsangthai and got a Bosch with a continuous running capability of 40 minutes plus. Best one I've ever had.

Been there done that lol. I purchased a no brand on Lazada, is okay but the water gun keeps breaking/stops working so costs 200 to 400 baht to buy a new one each time. I also need a more powerful washer to get rid of the black on the concrete. 

I've had several different brands over the last 15 years, from Karcher through to Bosch, and my current machine is a Hyundai Hurricane.   225 bar and is excellent.   I particularly like the hose reeling arrangement which prevents annoying kinking.   Not cheap, but definitely a case of you get what you pay for.

da74b16e-6b8f-2e28-714b-5de4a2219fc8.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 5:22 PM, GreasyFingers said:

I bought a Takara 165 bar from a local store (Lomsak) 4 years ago for exactly the same problem. I buy nearly every tool from the same store as they tell me what is good quality and what to avoid. Look local if you can

Do you use it on the black mould on concrete? I see many places sell Takara. good point about buy local

On 7/14/2022 at 8:50 PM, peterfranks said:

Have you considered spraying it with bleach?

Spray it plenty early evening when the sun is down and you don't expect rain.

Leave it for a few days, and you can remove it with a brush and a garden spray.

will give it a try, thanks for the tip

On 7/14/2022 at 9:27 PM, Madgee said:

I've got a 120 bar Zinsano pressure washer. Works great!

Funny enough, I removed the black/green slime build-up outside on my concrete drive this morning ... No problem!

Make sure the washer you buy has the correct attachments, some haven't got the rotating circular attachment that is specifically for cleaning hard surfaces etc. 

I did not know about the "rotating circular attachment that is specifically for cleaning hard surfaces" will look into it. thank you

On 7/15/2022 at 12:07 PM, Outbackoz said:

Seems like youv'e got some good recommendations. Just  a suggestion  on a couple of things if your town water supply is pretty dirty,  ie like in parts of Hua Hin the abrasive content in the water will shorten the life of the pressure washer so if you can use either filtered or settled tank water it will help. If your trying to remove the black algae/mould from the concrete and sand wash pre spray with liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) commonly used as a sanitiser for swimming pools diluted  1/3chlorine  2/3 water. Add a small amount of liquid washing detergent to the mix. PH value is similar to cement PH 13-14 so it will not degrade the cement bond as will  Hydrochloric acid. Try to spray and brush in the shade as UV in sunlight will rapidly dillute  the chlorine. Leave chlorine for about 20 mins and the algae should have a slight colour change to brown Pressure wash off. Further suggest when the rsiny season comes to an end to spray the affected areas  with a dilluted mix of Benzekonium Chloride (Sold here as a sanitiser from Lazada and called BKC) which is a type of cationic surfactant This will inhibit the regrowth of  algae/mould but you will have to apply it on a regular basis.  Be sure to use correct safety equipt procedures as liquid chlorine will strip off skin in undiluted form. Hope this helps for a loger term solution. If you can't find liquid chlorine Haiter bleach will do close to neat but a bit expensive. Hope this is f help

Thank you, very good info. I was wondering if there was a longer term solution apart from tiling all concrete areas. Will give this a go.

8 minutes ago, pagallim said:

I've had several different brands over the last 15 years, from Karcher through to Bosch, and my current machine is a Hyundai Hurricane.   225 bar and is excellent.   I particularly like the hose reeling arrangement which prevents annoying kinking.   Not cheap, but definitely a case of you get what you pay for.

da74b16e-6b8f-2e28-714b-5de4a2219fc8.jpeg

Yes the cheaper prices are very tempting but have learnt the hard way, that cheap in the beining is not always cheap in the end

40 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

Thank you, a friend has a Hyundai and it has broken down. filters are they external to the machine?

It's just a connection to the inlet that snaps on.  One comes with the machine.  There also available at most hardware stores and Lazada.  Easily rinsed out and reused. 

The one below is 50 baht. 

Screenshot_20220720-081841_Lazada.jpg

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

Do you use it on the black mould on concrete? I see many places sell Takara. good point about buy local

We purchased an old house that had been used as a part time holiday rental and not looked after. The black, and green, mould covered every bit of concrete so was the only reason for buying the pressure washer. The other brands probably have a similar feature but the Takara has a bleach bottle attachment and two different nozzles, one to pre-spray with bleach at a low pressure and one for normal high pressure.

If your concrete is exposed to rain you could find that the mould will come back each wet season as it seemed to be embedded in the concrete even after cleaning.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

We purchased an old house that had been used as a part time holiday rental and not looked after. The black, and green, mould covered every bit of concrete so was the only reason for buying the pressure washer. The other brands probably have a similar feature but the Takara has a bleach bottle attachment and two different nozzles, one to pre-spray with bleach at a low pressure and one for normal high pressure.

If your concrete is exposed to rain you could find that the mould will come back each wet season as it seemed to be embedded in the concrete even after cleaning.

Yes exposed to the weather all year, Outbackoz made a very good comment earlier about how to combat the mould which I will try. Thanks for the comments, appreciated

1 hour ago, stupidfarang said:

Have not come across the Stanley brand, thanks for the info

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

British brand, made in China..........as are MG Cars!

Was an American brand, when did it become British?