Time for a new Samsung phone - which to get?

Sheryl

16 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Never had any issue, its right there on the language selection, on evey Samsung we have. (5 of them)

Well it wasn't on the one I bought which is why I posted what I did. It wasn't an issue on a previous model. Maybe yours weren't made specifically for SE Asia as some seem to be now - TV's too it seems.

Edited by mokwit

5 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Well it wasn't on the one I bought which is why I posted what I did. It wasn't an issue on a previous model. Maybe yours weren't made specifically for SE Asia as some seem to be now - TV's too it seems.

Just checked some old ones I have and newer models all bought in Thailand, some from years back.  2 x A10s + 2 x J2s + 1 note * plus + 1 note 10 plus and all have easy to find language settings in the settings section which includes english language. Plus checked an S6 bought in the UK and in the language section and, apart from english obviously, you can also choose Thai so not quite sure what you are talking about, unless of course you bought a fake perhaps and didn't realise it ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Excel said:

Just checked some old ones I have and newer models all bought in Thailand, some from years back.  2 x A10s + 2 x J2s + 1 note * plus + 1 note 10 plus and all have easy to find language settings in the settings section which includes english language. Plus checked an S6 bought in the UK and in the language section and, apart from english obviously, you can also choose Thai so not quite sure what you are talking about, unless of course you bought a fake perhaps and didn't realise it ?

There is really no point in trying to be helpful on this board as if your experience differs from someone else's the insinuation is you must be making it up . Seriously, I give up on this place. I would have thought that the post explaining that some models are now made only for SE Asia might explain it. I already pointed out that an older model did not have this issue.

I tried to do it but couldn't, so I gave it to a bilingual Thai who went into the menu and found that English was not there as an option - she then gave it to a colleague who she said was good with these things and the first time only some things were in English - I handed it back to her and after a while she was able to find out how to put everything in English.

I could take a photo of the startup screen of a new Samsung TV with only Asian language options but I would probably be accused of photoshopping it.

I repeat I get so sick of posting my experience and someone coming in and saying that they have never had that problem well GOLLY GOSH that might be your experience and by all means share your experience but if others have a different experience they are maybe not making it up/lying.

I'm outta here. First time I posted in WEEKS coz I have stopped coming here because of certain "types". 

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, mokwit said:

There is really no point in trying to be helpful on this board as if your experience differs from someone else's the insinuation is you must be making it up . Seriously, I give up on this place. I would have thought that the post explaining that some models are now made only for SE Asia might explain it. I already pointed out that an older model did not have this issue.

I tried to do it but couldn't, so I gave it to a bilingual Thai who went into the menu and found that English was not there as an option - she then gave it to a colleague who she said was good with these things and the first time only some things were in English - I handed it back to her and after a while she was able to find out how to put everything in English.

As for this being a fake Samsung 'phone..................

I could take a photo of the startup screen of a new Samsung TV with only Asian language options but I would probably be accused of photoshopping it.

I repeat I get so sick of posting my experience and someone coming in and saying that they have never had that problem well GOLLY GOSH that might be your experience and by all means share your experience but if others have a different experience they are maybe not making it up/lying.

I'm outta here. First time I posted in WEEKS coz I have stopped coming here because of certain "types". 

Well never mind, some of us have tried to help you but clearly you have no wish to be helped. Now based on all of our phones you seem to have purchased a phone that is a singular anomaly. Perhaps you should keep it as clearly one that unusual, as you claim it to be, must have a rarity value.????

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, mokwit said:

A word of caution on Asian models - getting it into English isn't via the normal menu selection - in the end I had to hand it over to someone decades my junior and it took her a while to switch it to English - it is there but not readily available.

When I set up my new Samsung M33 5G TH model this afternoon, during setup, it first asked to connect to a wifi network, and then showed a whole long different list of OS languages to choose from... So I just scrolled down thru the list until I got to English U.S., chose that, and then the phone started for the first time with my chosen language.... I never had to deal with TH language menus, even though it's a Thailand based model.

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When I set up my new Samsung M33 5G TH model this afternoon, during setup, it first asked to connect to a wifi network, and then showed a whole long different list of OS languages to choose from... So I just scrolled down thru the list until I got to English U.S., chose that, and then the phone started for the first time with my chosen language.... I never had to deal with TH language menus, even though it's a Thailand based model.

Thanks for that - mine came with Thai installed and no request for wi fi access. The bizzarre thing is that the menu had a multitude of languages - far more than just Asian languages, but no English. Maybe some attempt to stop grey market imports of a SE Asian model to other markets?

Edited by mokwit
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Thanks for that - mine came with Thai installed and no request for wi fi access. The bizzarre thing is that the menu had a multitude of languages - far more than just Asian languages, but no English. Maybe some attempt to stop grey market imports of a SE Asian model to other markets?

Had perhaps some one else started the phone at some prior point to you getting your hands on it for the first time... such as staff at a mobile shop, the seller, etc?  That could explain it...

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Had perhaps some one else started the phone at some prior point to you getting your hands on it for the first time... such as staff at a mobile shop, the seller, etc?  That could explain it...

I am sure that is the case - it was an ex display or somesuch - but that still doesn't explain a multitude of languages in the android settings menu but English not being one of them, no?

1 minute ago, mokwit said:

I am sure that is the case - it was an ex display or somesuch - but that still doesn't explain a multitude of languages in the android settings menu but English not being one of them, no?

The one I perused today was a VERY long list.... ????

I watched a Youtube video someone in this thread linked, then read hundreds of reader comments.

I would now like to find somewhere in Chiang Mai I can see a Samsung S20 FE 5G - the Snapdragon 865 5G version.

I want dual SIM, it takes an SD card so lots of storage, and in the opinion of several it's better and/or a better deal than the 21 and 22.

I'd prefer new if possible but would buy it used probably depending on Warranty.

Any opinions/feedback?

I've been using 2 Android 6.0 phones for just over 7 years, and so only know about current Androids from the video and comments about it,  and comments on this thread.

Edited by JimmyJ

5 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I watched a Youtube video someone in this thread linked, then read hundreds of reader comments.

I would now like to find somewhere in Chiang Mai I can see a Samsung S20 FE 5G - the Snapdragon 865 5G version.

I want dual SIM, it takes an SD card so lots of storage, and in the opinion of several it's better and/or a better deal than the 21 and 22.

I'd prefer new if possible but would buy it used probably depending on Warranty.

Any opinions/feedback?

I've been using 2 Android 6.0 phones for just over 7 years, and so only know about current Androids from the video and comments about it,  and comments on this thread.

One thing about SD cards, they are a security risk if you lose your phone, if someone finds your phone they can't access files on the phone as it will be locked but they can take out the SD card easy. I don't use SD cards anymore 

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

One thing about SD cards, they are a security risk if you lose your phone, if someone finds your phone they can't access files on the phone as it will be locked but they can take out the SD card easy. I don't use SD cards anymore 

Encryption of the SD, and a PIN/Passcode for the phone.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

Finished setting up my new M33 5G over the past day, and must say, for me, a very nice and fast phone for under 7,000 baht. It comes with a standard microSD slot.... But given that I was going from a 32 GB ROM before on my older Samsung to now a 128 GB ROM on the new one, I don't think I'm going to be using/needing the SD card for quite a while, if ever...

One slightly annoying thing that I knew going in...but nonetheless remains annoying. Samsung these days seems to no longer ship charger bricks with many (all?) of their new phones, just the USB C cable, and a short 1 meter long one at that. I presume that's to save money and/or minimize E-waste.

But for me, the M33 phone was my first with 25W fast charging capability via USB C.... Everything I had prior was the past standard micro USB cables and chargers. So I had to go out to buy a separate Samsung charger to take advantage of the fast charging feature and a longer USB C cable to meet my needs.

It would be nice, IMHO, when you buy a new Samsung phone from someplace like the official Samsung store on Lazada, if they gave you the option online of including or not including the charger as part of the purchase. But they don't do that...although they do sell the round pin variety (which I don't really care for) of the chargers separately from the same store for 459b per.

• Thanks 1

@Sheryl I'm going thru the same currently.

Most of my wants are similar to yours.

If you don't mind, would be interesting to learn which models you are considering, or which you have chosen. (And why).

Edited by JimmyJ

On 7/17/2022 at 2:09 PM, MrJ2U said:

Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra. 

CPU: Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 (US), 

AVOID CPU: Exynos 2200 (UK)

"Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra review"

"The Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra delivers a built-in S Pen, brighter display and lots of camera upgrades in a sleek design."

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-s22-ultra

"CPU: Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 (US), 

AVOID CPU: Exynos 2200 (UK)"

Did you purchase while In the US?

4 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

"CPU: Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 (US), 

AVOID CPU: Exynos 2200 (UK)"

Did you purchase while In the US?

I bought it in Central Udon Thani.  I pre-ordered because of free upgrades in memory 256 to 512, 5,000 baht gift certificate, 3,000 baht indoor credit.

Later problems were reported with the Exynos chip.  I checked and luckily mine was the Snapdragon.

I'm sure theres discounts to be had.  I've heard Samsung had produced to many.  

4 years of Android updates was unheard of until the 22 series. 

Best phone I've ever bought.  Works seamlessly with my Samsung TV's,Smart Watch, Washing machine, etc.

Great service too. 

13 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I bought it in Central Udon Thani.  I pre-ordered because of free upgrades in memory 256 to 512, 5,000 baht gift certificate, 3,000 baht indoor credit.

Later problems were reported with the Exynos chip.  I checked and luckily mine was the Snapdragon.

Best phone I've ever bought.  Works seamlessly with my Samsung TV's,Smart Watch, Washing machine, etc.

Great service too. 

13 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Great service too. 

"Great service too."

Bought at a Samsung store?

Have you needed service on the phone under Warranty?

If so, do you bring it back to the store where you purchased it?

Or have to ship it somewhere yourself?

At your own expense?

54 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

"Great service too."

Bought at a Samsung store?

Have you needed service on the phone under Warranty?

If so, do you bring it back to the store where you purchased it?

Or have to ship it somewhere yourself?

At your own expense?

Yes, at the Samsung store.

You can bring your phone to any authorized Samsung dealer/Samsung shop in Asia.  

I haven't had any issues yet. 

That was the other reason.  2 years warranty with free screen replacement if it's cracked or broken for two years also. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The wife and I have had multiple episodes of dealing with the Samsung service centers in Thailand regarding mobile phones.  They've been pretty much universally good and helpful....

In that, they'll handle both under warranty service for free and out of warranty service for a fee, such as if your phone's non-removable battery needs replacing years down the road. And they seem to do a pretty good job of continuing to stock replacement parts for their models, even after they're no longer current.

As said above, you can take a Thailand purchased Samsung phone to any of the official Samsung service centers here.

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2022 at 3:52 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

PS - Samsung has an  "official" online store on Lazada TH these days, so you can buy from there knowing that you're getting a legit / new / fully warranteed model... unlike some other dodgy online sellers out there...  And they seem to be having a mid-month online late right now thru the 19th....

I was looking this morning, and believe I saw various Samsung A2X and 3X series model phones in the 6-8,000 baht range, and some similar M23 5G and M33 5G models in the 6500 to 7000 baht range. The M series models tend to have full HD regular LCD screens, whereas the comparable and higher A series models often have the more expensive and crisper Super AMOLED screens.

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop/samsung-official-estore/Mobilecategory.htm?wh_weex=true

Once I am in the official Samsung store, is there a way I can Search for specific models within the official store only?

If I am in the Samsung official store and use the Search magnifying glass and specify a model it shows me that model from all stores.

The specific model sold in the official store is buried within a list of that model sold by all stores.

On 7/27/2022 at 12:24 PM, MrJ2U said:

Yes, at the Samsung store.

You can bring your phone to any authorized Samsung dealer/Samsung shop in Asia.  

I haven't had any issues yet. 

That was the other reason.  2 years warranty with free screen replacement if it's cracked or broken for two years also. 

"You can bring your phone to any authorized Samsung dealer/Samsung shop in Asia."

I was at the Samsung store at Maya a few days ago, and the clerk told me there is a 1 year Warranty - "Thailand only".

I asked "Can only be used in Thailand?"

"Yes".

???

Edited by JimmyJ

8 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Once I am in the official Samsung store, is there a way I can Search for specific models within the official store only?

If I am in the Samsung official store and use the Search magnifying glass and specify a model it shows me that model from all stores.

The specific model sold in the official store is buried within a list of that model sold by all stores.

Find a listing from the official Samsung store for any phone, then click the "Go to Store" link on the phone's listing page that will take you to the store's homepage on Lazada.

If I remember right, they have a categories listing at the top of the main store page that allows you to look only at Samsumg mobiles they sell, as opposed to all the other Samsung products.

Once you click the Mobiles tab section, they only have  maybe two dozen different models that they're currently offering. And as long as you stay within the Samsung official store's pages and don't do a broader search, it will only show you their models and listings.

• Thanks 1