30 day extension of 30 day visa exempt entry

Hello, 

I entered Thailand on July 2 at BKK and received a 30 day visa exempt stamp. I would like to extend for another 30 days at the end of the month, how early can I go to immigration to do this? Given the recent changes, can someone please tell me what I need to bring with me to accomplish this?  On arrival JAL insisted we still needed to fill in the TM6 form, which I did and the officer collected it but didn’t hand it back to me with my passport like times before.  If I am staying in a hotel at the time I go for the extension do I need to bring a TM30 or any other paperwork?

thanks in advance! 

Common is to go up to couple weeks prior to expiry of permit.

TM30 may be required. Ask your hotel for screenshot of their online TM30 report. 

You will need TM7 form with photo 1900baht fee.

Couple of basic photocopies from pp.

Identity page 

Last entry stamp.

TM6....you don't have. If asked just explain io at airport did not give you departure section. 

TM6 is temporarily suspended and think that started July 2

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

Thank you DrJack!

Very Helpful!  Another question to confirm- if my stay is permitted until July 31,  my extension should add 30 days to July 31 and not to the day I apply for the extension? 

thanks again 

17 minutes ago, Jetsam said:

Thank you DrJack!

Very Helpful!  Another question to confirm- if my stay is permitted until July 31,  my extension should add 30 days to July 31 and not to the day I apply for the extension? 

thanks again 

That is correct.

Extension added to end of current permit.

Check date on stamp when issued.

• Like 2

As I understand it, one has to have return airline ticket details to get 30 day exempt to begin with.

So how do you reshedule your return for 30 days later, pay some kind of re-ticketing fee?

Sounds like a lot of mucking around to me and a tourist visa application would be a better approach for the sake of being sure about ones plans.

Cost would be around the same anyhow I'd imagine.

extension fee.....re-ticketing fee.....

Edited by bluejets

I arrived in Thailand on June 27. My 30 day visa exempt stamp will expire on July 26. I am in Phuket and rented a bungalow in Rawaii for one week ending on July 21. I want to go to immigration in Phuket on Monday July 18. I do not have a plane ticket out of the country. I do have my TM6 in my passport. The manager of this bungalow never asked me for my US passport and seems to be unfamiliar with the TM30 process. What can I do to get this TM30?

I have to drive my pick up truck to Bangkok on July 21 to meet my Thai wife who is flying from Loei to meet me in Bangkok on July 23. We will be staying at her sisters vacant house in Bangkok while she is living in Sweden. We will put our 15 year old daughter on a plane to Paris where she is attending school on July 26. This is going to be on the day my visa exempt stamp will expire. I plan to drive to Mukdahan and cross over to Laos to apply for a new multi entry marriage visa Non immigrant O but the timing is not good because of my daughter's flight to Paris. As soon as she boards her flight on the morning of July 26, I could drive all day to Mukdahan and that is a 9 hour drive from the Bangkok Airport. If I cannot get a 30 day extension from Phuket, I will drive with my wife to Mukdahan but I think I will not be able to cross the border until the morning on July 27. This will get me a one day overstay. Please advise if this can be an option for me to have a one day overstay in my passport. Our daughter is 15 and therefor flying to Paris alone as a minor. This means the parents are obliged to stay at the airport until the plane takes off at 11am if the plane is not late. 

3 hours ago, thaisail said:

I arrived in Thailand on June 27. My 30 day visa exempt stamp will expire on July 26. I am in Phuket and rented a bungalow in Rawaii for one week ending on July 21. I want to go to immigration in Phuket on Monday July 18. I do not have a plane ticket out of the country. I do have my TM6 in my passport. The manager of this bungalow never asked me for my US passport and seems to be unfamiliar with the TM30 process. What can I do to get this TM30?

I have to drive my pick up truck to Bangkok on July 21 to meet my Thai wife who is flying from Loei to meet me in Bangkok on July 23. We will be staying at her sisters vacant house in Bangkok while she is living in Sweden. We will put our 15 year old daughter on a plane to Paris where she is attending school on July 26. This is going to be on the day my visa exempt stamp will expire. I plan to drive to Mukdahan and cross over to Laos to apply for a new multi entry marriage visa Non immigrant O but the timing is not good because of my daughter's flight to Paris. As soon as she boards her flight on the morning of July 26, I could drive all day to Mukdahan and that is a 9 hour drive from the Bangkok Airport. If I cannot get a 30 day extension from Phuket, I will drive with my wife to Mukdahan but I think I will not be able to cross the border until the morning on July 27. This will get me a one day overstay. Please advise if this can be an option for me to have a one day overstay in my passport. Our daughter is 15 and therefor flying to Paris alone as a minor. This means the parents are obliged to stay at the airport until the plane takes off at 11am if the plane is not late. 

Going to Phuket Immigration to get your 30 day extension for tourism is a good idea.  Here are the requirements:

https://piv-phuket.com/short-stay-extenions/visa-exemption/

You need to have a TM-30 done on your behalf.  It is the legal obligation of the landlord or manager of the place you are staying.  Go to them and ask if they have registered you as staying overnight at their address with Phuket Immigration.  They can do this online.  If they have done it ask them for a screenshot of the screen showing that you have been registered with immigration.

The alternative if you landlord/manager will not cooperate you have two choices.  You can register yourself but this requires cooperation from your landlord which is unlikely given their attitude toward their existing legal obligations.  They would have to give you things like a copy of their Thai ID and Blue House Registration book.  Again, this is probably a waste of time because your landlord is a scofflaw.  In the event you get no help from your landlord, my recommendation is to check into the absolutely cheapest hotel/hostel you can find and make sure they register your address with immigration (that is, file a TM-30 online for you).  You don't have to stay there, just get a screenshot of your address registration.  Take that with you to immigration to prove your address.

The 30 day extension you will be granted at immigration is added on to your existing permission to stay.  You will lose no days by applying early.

Next time you stay somewhere in Thailand your first question to your landlord/hotel is are you going to report my stay to immigration.  If the answer is no, stay somewhere else.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thaisail said:

In pursuing your extension of stay for tourism (30 days) immigration will not be interested in seeing an onward ticket out of Thailand.

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2022 at 7:59 AM, DrJack54 said:

That is correct.

Extension added to end of current permit.

Check date on stamp when issued.

But make sure you check the stamp before you leave - the officer stamped me from date of application (I'm sure it was a genuine mistake), but it didn't bother me because I was leaving beforehand anyway so I didn't ask her to change it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2022 at 10:32 AM, skatewash said:

You need to have a TM-30 done on your behalf.  It is the legal obligation of the landlord or manager of the place you are staying.  Go to them and ask if they have registered you as staying overnight at their address with Phuket Immigration.  They can do this online.  If they have done it ask them for a screenshot of the screen showing that you have been registered with immigration.

The alternative if you landlord/manager will not cooperate you have two choices.  You can register yourself but this requires cooperation from your landlord which is unlikely given their attitude toward their existing legal obligations.  They would have to give you things like a copy of their Thai ID and Blue House Registration book.  Again, this is probably a waste of time because your landlord is a scofflaw.  In the event you get no help from your landlord, my recommendation is to check into the absolutely cheapest hotel/hostel you can find and make sure they register your address with immigration (that is, file a TM-30 online for you).  You don't have to stay there, just get a screenshot of your address registration.  Take that with you to immigration to prove your address.

Can others confirm their experience with this please?  Staying with a friend who probably cannot fill this based on the apartment she  renting, so I will try the hotel/hostel route.  It seems the TM-30 form has a checkout date to fill in too however, so will this still work if the checkout date has already passed by the time you turn up at immigration for a 30 day extension?

And if anyone can recommend a reliable agency around Sukhimvit Asoke/Phrom Phong to make the trip to immigration on my behalf,  that would be a welcome too.

Edited by Awk

reporting back: because I was staying with relatives in a rural area in the south, I was concerned about the tm-30. I ended up taking a short trip to Hua Hin and doing my extension there. The immigration office is in the basement of the Bluport shopping mall. Took 5 minutes total including waiting. 2-3 other people there at 3:30pm on a Friday.. No photocopies or passport photos - they do that for you at no charge. No TM-30, just the complete address of your hotel in Hua Hin and your Thai mobile telephone number. This was the single greatest experience I have ever had with any government entity in any country!  It didn’t seem real.  5 stars. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Jetsam said:

reporting back: because I was staying with relatives in a rural area in the south, I was concerned about the tm-30. I ended up taking a short trip to Hua Hin and doing my extension there. The immigration office is in the basement of the Bluport shopping mall. Took 5 minutes total including waiting. 2-3 other people there at 3:30pm on a Friday.. No photocopies or passport photos - they do that for you at no charge. No TM-30, just the complete address of your hotel in Hua Hin and your Thai mobile telephone number. This was the single greatest experience I have ever had with any government entity in any country!  It didn’t seem real.  5 stars. 

Thanks for the report, that's great.

Anyone done it in Bangkok recently?  Planing on going on monday, and wondering if I need to waste money for a hotel booking on Sunday and get the printout before I go. 

On 7/28/2022 at 9:43 AM, Awk said:

Thanks for the report, that's great.

Anyone done it in Bangkok recently?  Planing on going on monday, and wondering if I need to waste money for a hotel booking on Sunday and get the printout before I go. 

Did it today.  No TM-30 registration was required and while the address field had to be filled out, no checks on whether the address was TM-30 registered were done as far as I could tell, neither for me nor other people.

16 minutes ago, Awk said:

Did it today.  No TM-30 registration was required and while the address field had to be filled out, no checks on whether the address was TM-30 registered were done as far as I could tell, neither for me nor other people.

What extension did you apply for.

No TM30 requirement can be hit and miss

On 7/15/2022 at 7:31 AM, DrJack54 said:

Common is to go up to couple weeks prior to expiry of permit.

TM30 may be required. Ask your hotel for screenshot of their online TM30 report. 

You will need TM7 form with photo 1900baht fee.

Couple of basic photocopies from pp.

Identity page 

Last entry stamp.

TM6....you don't have. If asked just explain io at airport did not give you departure section. 

TM6 is temporarily suspended and think that started July 2

Where do I get 'TM7' - what is it for?

27 minutes ago, BusyB said:

Where do I get 'TM7' - what is it for?

The TM7 is form for extensions. 

Extensions cost 1900 baht.

Note the form is two sided.

If you print it out make sure it's back to back. 

Form also requires a photo. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Meredy said:

In Bangkok, is the immigration office for extensions still the one in Muang Thong Thani?

No.

If you entered visa exempt you will apply at Laski mall.

If entered with tourist visa you will apply CW 

What type of extension are you applying for?

1 hour ago, Maybole said:

May piggyback on this thread? If I leave the country for a few days, and return to the same address, is a new TM30 needed? We did a TM30 report when we moved in 4 years ago.

No.

TM30 is for change of address.

If returning with same visa or reentry permit to previous address then TM30 not required.

Btw I extended my visa today also and asked for covid extension forms. She said Aug 24 is the last. When can I go and apply for this? I imagine if I apply right away they would complain right?

She said I have to bring the exact same docs as 30 day extension but if I am not wrong covid extension offers 60 days.

If my address change before I apply, would that create more issues?

27 minutes ago, timoti said:

Btw I extended my visa today also and asked for covid extension forms. She said Aug 24 is the last. When can I go and apply for this? I imagine if I apply right away they would complain right?

She said I have to bring the exact same docs as 30 day extension but if I am not wrong covid extension offers 60 days.

If my address change before I apply, would that create more issues?

You obtained a 30 day extension.

Normally you would apply for a covid extension couple of weeks prior to expiry of your permission of stay.

Be aware that some immigration offices were starting the 60 days from day of application for the first covid extension.

In that situation it would be best to apply as late as possible.

If you change address you would need to obtain a new TM30.

You can only obtain an extension at the immigration office where you are staying..

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You obtained a 30 day extension.

Normally you would apply for a covid extension couple of weeks prior to expiry of your permission of stay.

Be aware that some immigration offices were starting the 60 days from day of application for the first covid extension.

In that situation it would be best to apply as late as possible.

If you change address you would need to obtain a new TM30.

You can only obtain an extension at the immigration office where you are staying..

Thanks a lot I will do that. I will actually stay at the same place but I might change my room. That still requires a new TM30 right? I saw them write the room number in that paper they stapled onto the passport.

1 hour ago, timoti said:

Thanks a lot I will do that. I will actually stay at the same place but I might change my room. That still requires a new TM30 right? I saw them write the room number in that paper they stapled onto the passport.

Immigration won't know that you changed rooms.

Ask hotel if they file a new TM30.

Doubt it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Immigration won't know that you changed rooms.

Ask hotel if they file a new TM30.

Doubt it. 

Thanks a lot that makes sense. It's actually condo so I will ask the condo agent what she will do if I change room.

8 minutes ago, timoti said:

Thanks a lot that makes sense. It's actually condo so I will ask the condo agent what she will do if I change room.

Also ask her to do nothing.

Meaning no new TM30.

You have a TM30 that will cover you for extension. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 8:33 PM, DrJack54 said:

Also ask her to do nothing.

Meaning no new TM30.

You have a TM30 that will cover you for extension. 

Thx a lot I will ask her. I am still waiting for like 21 Aug in case they extend from application date.

Btw what reason I should put for the extension? I put 60 days but it asks reason in the main application from and also the affidavit.

If I remember right, people said to use the first choice on the affidavit? Then no need to write anything for reason on that form, just the main form?