Illegally denying entry with a tourist visa or visa exempt at an airport?

4 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

We all read the horror stories about how people were denied entry and deported simply based on the fact that they "stayed in Thailand too long". But what are the legal grounds for that?

The legal grounds are exactly that, Thai immigration law.

It is your responsibility to be aware of the applicable laws so why are you asking?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

you should name this airport, to make your story somehow credible. Somehow I have doubts on you telling the full story. 

He would not allow you to enter, unless you pay then and there. I don't think officer would be that blatant, and at the time when is not that busy at airports. It suppose to be another officer interrogating you, or even shift supervisor, who is at hand to help. The officer who stopped you works at his boot the whole shift.

He would rather give phone number to an agency he works with. He would rather say about "administrative costs" and not boast about hundreds illegals on his book.

So did you take his name and phone number for future entry?

How it suppose to work, if you arrive outside his shift - he does only 40-48h work in a week.

You can always report that officer as his personalised stamp with his number he put in your passport. At BKK starts A than 4 digits. Same on departure stamps. 

Have you already reported him? Are you going to do so?

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, internationalism said:

So did you take his name and phone number for future entry?

How it suppose to work, if you arrive outside his shift - he does only 40-48h work in a week.

You can always report that officer as his personalised stamp with his number he put in your passport. At BKK starts A than 4 digits. Same on departure stamps. 

Yes, he gave me his contact and his schedule and of course you need to arrive during his shift.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

What can we do in such situations?

a guaranteed entry for $100.

Sorted. Do you wish to come in or not. 

I doubt this happens to people visiting once a year or for the first time or...:whistling:

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They can deny entry under chapter 2  section 12 of the immigration act.

"2. Having no appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom."

See: Immigration Act B.E. 2522 English translation

The minimum wage in Thailand is 350 baht per day, probably because this is considered to be "appropriate means of living" by the Thai government, I think everybody here can satisfy this requirement.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Jerno said:

Ja natürlich....umgangssprachliche Kurzbezeichnung. Aber versuchen Sie, die thailändischen Einwanderungswebsites nach "Retirement Visa" zu durchsuchen. Dann werden die Nubies völlig verwirrt mit den tatsächlichen Arten von Visa, die sie beantragen müssen.

Immigration.go.th

9. Documents to be submitted for Change Visa- FOR RETIREMENT  PURPOSES - 50 YEARS OLD (NON-O)

4 minutes ago, Richard 2020 said:

According to visa experts, there may be justifiable, but also incomprehensible reasons for a border official to refuse entry despite a visa. Conceivable are: Doubts about the authenticity of the visa or the truthfulness of the information provided in the visa application, a sudden change in the political situation in the destination country or even inappropriate behavior of the traveler.

It's okay if there is a real reason. For example, if a person with a tourist visa has a work-related papers in his baggage. But I'm not okay with a made-up reason, such as "no appropriate means" when you have enough cash on you.

Edited by JoseThailand
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Richard 2020 said:

But: the decision on entry is always made by the border official on duty at the destination. This applies worldwide.

Thailand has rules in which case entry can be denied, there is now law which says that IOs are allowed to arbitrarily deny people.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

E- VISA

Personal data page of passport or travel document: Please upload the personal data page of your passport. Upon successful completion of the upload, your biographical information will be entered into the appropriate fields on the application. For accurate results, make sure the MRZ is the full width of the photo and the photo is not blurry. *Please scan and attach properly or your application will be rejected.
First page (personal data page) of passport or travel document: please upload the personal data page of your passport. Upon successful completion of the upload, your biographical information will be inserted into the appropriate fields of the application. For accurate results, make sure the MRZ is included in the full width of the photo and the photo is not blurred.
Please scan and properly insert the photo or your visa application will be rejected.
DummyPassport
Photo (taken within the last six months. If the photo does not reflect your current appearance, you may be denied entry into the Kingdom of Thailand).
Passport photo (taken within the last six months. If the photo does not reflect your current appearance, you may be denied entry into the Kingdom of Thailand).

With a passport 8-9 years old ,the "appearance" may change due to so some circumstances, what then ??

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Richard 2020 said:

With a passport 8-9 years old ,the "appearance" may change due to so some circumstances, what then ??

The rule is for the passport size photo you upload when doing the application not the photo on your passport.

Entry to any county including your is not a right but a privilege..

BTW generally how long a genuine tourist stays....2 weeks, 3 months or even 6 months...how long are you staying in Thailand, more than 6 months..as a tourist..55555

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

But why does this tourist visa allow up to 3-month stay? That's way beyond the normal 2-week holiday tourism you're talking about.

Maybe you should be happy about that, instead of trying to renew such visa another 4 time to stay indefinitely on the wrong type of visa.

• Like 1

Back to topic,

First of all everyone must know that you can be denied to entry even you have a visa at the border for a reason. Reasons for thailand already listed.

But one of the reasons is abusing your visa. This includes non-o multi too. I know many people say i have the visa so they must let me in. Well the answer is actually, no. First of all the visa is given to you so you can extend it. That simple. If you use your non-o multi for 5 years thats abusing the system and they will not let you do it. You need to think objective on this one and with a clear mind. 

Same thing is for the tourist visa. If someone simply trying to live in thailand with a tr visa, well its abusing again.

I also think it is not fair for the people who are trying or doing hard to extend their visas. So i totally support IO with this one. 

So in my opinion there is no illegaly deny. Its just IO relized what you are trying to do and stopping you. Every country in the world (UK is the leading) do the same thing. Actually if you ask me thailand is very soft doing this and very kind. Tolarate you in many cases. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

But one of the reasons is abusing your visa.

I don't see this on the list, which point is it?

Aliens which fall into any of the following categories are excluded from entering into the Kingdom:

1. Having no genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of passport; or having a genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of a passport without Visaing by the Royal Thai Embassies or Consulates in Foreign countries; or from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, excepting if a visa is not required for certain types of aliens in special instances. Visaing and visa exemption will be under the learn and conditions as provided in the Ministerial Regulations.
2. Having no appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom.
3. Having entered into the Kingdom to take occupation as a laborer or to take employment by using physical without skills training or to work in violation of the Ministerial Regulations.
4. Being mentally unstable or having any of the disease as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.
5. Having not yet been vaccinated against small pox or inoculated or undergone any other medical treatment for protection against disease and having refused to have such vaccinations administered by the Immigration Doctor.
6. Having been imprisoned by the judgement of the Thai Court; or by a lawful injunction; or by the judgement of the Court of foreign country, except when the penalty is foe petty offense or negligence or is provided for as an exception in the Ministerial Regulations.
7. Having behavior which would indicated possible danger to the public or likelihood of being a nuisance or constituting any violence to the peace or safety of the public or to the security of the public or to the security of the nation, or being under warrant of arrest by competent officials of foreign governments.
8. Reason to believe that entrance into the Kingdom was for the purpose of being involved in prostitution, the trading of woman of children, drug smuggling, or other types of smuggling which are contrary to the public morality.
9. Having no money or bond as prescribed by the Minister under him.
10. Being a person prohibited by the Minister under Section 16.
11. Being deported by either the Government of Thailand that of or other foreign countries; or the right of stay in the Kingdom or in foreign countries having been revoked; or having been sent out of the Kingdom by competent officials at the expense of the Government of Thailand unless the Minister shall consider exemption on an individual special case basis.

Sometimes reporting helps. I complained to the Bangkok Bank head office about a branch employee who tried to make me buy an insurance to open an account. The next day they they called me back from the branch, apologized and offered to open an account without an insurance.

Try to make you buy insurance is their job. If you say no thanks i don't need one, problem solved, you still get the account.