So how does my Thai wife get access to money in my UK HSBC account when i die ?

On 7/20/2022 at 9:29 AM, theoldgit said:

You could consider trying to make your HSBC account a joint account then the account would revert to her name in the event of your demise, or the other way round.

Not sure if you could do that from Thailand though, especially if the account is registered to a UK address.

As the previously poster has rightly advised a UK based Will would allow her to access her inheritance following probate, and that can take some time.

My pensions are paid into a joint account with Santander International, in the event of my demise the account would revert to her on production of a certified death certificate, whilst this process is carried out she can access the account legally online or via her debit card.  

As with HSBC:-

Once we receive formal confirmation of the death, we’ll transfer any joint accounts into the name(s) of the remaining account holder(s), unless there are any disputes over the estate. The remaining account holder(s) will be notified of this change.

The account can continue to be used, and the account number will remain the same. New cheque and paying in books will be ordered as required. 

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/help/life-events/bereavement/faqs/#:~:text=notification of death.-,2.,be notified of this change.

8 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

What is illegal? Executors can access funds for funeral.

Not without the approval of the bank.

Try that from Thailand with a sole account based in the UK.

Good luck trying that in Thailand as well!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Not without the approval of the bank.

Try that from Thailand with a sole account based in the UK.

Good luck trying that in Thailand as well!!

The bank dont know unless told. Also if in hospital can do when alive.

I would suggest moving half the funds to Thai first. 

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

The bank dont know unless told. Also if in hospital can do when alive.

I would suggest moving half the funds to Thai first. 

So, just exactly how how does the widow access money for the funeral expenses from her late husband's account at HSBC?

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

No need to contact the embassy, just advise DWP. It stops, end of story.

The authorities in Thailand will send the passport of the deceased to Brit. Embassy Bangkok.

Do not think that an individual can simply contact DWP and stop a persons pension via a simply phone call/letter.

On that basis anybody can stop another persons pension.

Not end of story!

4 hours ago, Delight said:

I suspect that withdrawing   income post his demise could be illegal.

Is it? Withdrawing money from a spouses account with their permission is illegal? I don't know but I doubt it. Does the OP have an ATM/Debit card for his HSBC account? I'd be okay with my wife using that after I'm gone, until the funds are drained. I'll leave her contact info for my three pensions, and whether she contacts them or not would be up to her.

After that, she can make millions from the house we have as it won't be too long before she struggles to maintain the large garden we have and she'll want something smaller. It wouldn't be difficult for her to live in any of a number of properties that belong to family and are pretty much unused.

10 hours ago, Delight said:

The authorities in Thailand will send the passport of the deceased to Brit. Embassy Bangkok.

Do not think that an individual can simply contact DWP and stop a persons pension via a simply phone call/letter.

On that basis anybody can stop another persons pension.

Not end of story!

The passport does not need to go anywhere.

The only case where there needs to be any contact with the embassy is to obtain the release of the deceased's body from hospital. If death occurred at 'home' the Thai police need to be advised within 24 hours and they advise the relevant embassy.

You know very little - who said anything about "simply a phone call or letter"..  

Edited by hotandsticky

4 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

The passport does not need to go anywhere.

The only case where there needs to be any contact with the embassy is to obtain the release of the deceased's body from hospital. If death occurred at 'home' the Thai police need to be advised within 24 hours and they advise the relevant embassy.

You know very little - who said anything about "simply a phone call or letter"..  

There must be a well developed process to deal with pensions of the deceased

1 British subject dies outside the uk. Either at home or in hospital

2 The deceased has no assets in the UK

You seem to claim that you are an expert.

Perhaps you could detail this process.

Edited by Delight

1 hour ago, Delight said:

There must be a well developed process to deal with pensions of the deceased

1 British subject dies outside the uk. Either at home or in hospital

2 The deceased has no assets in the UK

You seem to claim that you are an expert.

Perhaps you could detail this process.

No expert, just experienced.

There is no defined process, it is random. DWP rarely over pay more than one payment after death and there is always the periodic Life Certificate as a back stop.

1. I have outlined already.

2 It becomes irrelevant.

Consider some of the permutations:-

Brit dies, has state pension only - no other assets. ........ nothing to do except advise DWP.  IF the British embassy embassy are advised of the death there appears to be a mechanism for DWP to be informed. Unusual because there is no authority to do so, nor any connection between the. However, where I have seen this happen there is rarely an future payment of pension. The system seems to work - solely for state pension, but the same can be achieved by anyone close to the deceased/widow without giving up possession of the deceased's passport (the police will often ask the widow for it). The relevance of this is that it often useful to have the passport, as an ID document, if dealing with the providers of other assets in the estate.

If the deceased has other assets and/or private pensions the passport is useful to have - and the British embassy do not advise those companies of the death..........especially where he dies intestate. 

I hesitate to think how many widows have lost out on the widows benefit attached to occupational pensions - not all Farangs are savvy enough to tee things up in advance of their death; some don't even know what a widows pension is. Similarly, (up until recently) millions of Pounds of Bereavement Payments would have been missed because relatively few knew they were eligible - let alone able to make a claim.

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

No expert, just experienced.

There is no defined process, it is random. DWP rarely over pay more than one payment after death and there is always the periodic Life Certificate as a back stop.

1. I have outlined already.

2 It becomes irrelevant.

Consider some of the permutations:-

Brit dies, has state pension only - no other assets. ........ nothing to do except advise DWP.  IF the British embassy embassy are advised of the death there appears to be a mechanism for DWP to be informed. Unusual because there is no authority to do so, nor any connection between the. However, where I have seen this happen there is rarely an future payment of pension. The system seems to work - solely for state pension, but the same can be achieved by anyone close to the deceased/widow without giving up possession of the deceased's passport (the police will often ask the widow for it). The relevance of this is that it often useful to have the passport, as an ID document, if dealing with the providers of other assets in the estate.

If the deceased has other assets and/or private pensions the passport is useful to have - and the British embassy do not advise those companies of the death..........especially where he dies intestate. 

I hesitate to think how many widows have lost out on the widows benefit attached to occupational pensions - not all Farangs are savvy enough to tee things up in advance of their death; some don't even know what a widows pension is. Similarly, (up until recently) millions of Pounds of Bereavement Payments would have been missed because relatively few knew they were eligible - let alone able to make a claim.

Well done!