Odourless durian for those who hate that smell!

webfact

image.jpeg

By Editor

Durian from Thailand is known for its custard texture and pungent smell, which is reviled and celebrated worldwide.  Those who cannot tolerate the stinging aroma of Durian can rejoice as an “odourless” variety of the thorny fruit was introduced in Thailand last week.

According to growers, a variety of the popular Mon Thong strain, grown in northeastern Thailand’s Nakhon Ratchasima Province, showcased at a durian festival in Pak Chong district, is sweet, dry, and has soft flesh – but most importantly,  it is odourless.

A boom in Chinese demand helped Thailand earn about 187 billion baht (S$7.1 billion) last year as the world’s leading durian exporter.  In 2020, China’s imports of fresh durians quadrupled from 2017 to US$2.3 billion, surpassing cherries as the number one fruit import by value, according to United Nations data.

Aside from being popular in Southeast Asia and China, Thailand’s spiky fruit has also been controversial.  An Indonesian flight was grounded in 2018 after travellers complained about the fruit in the cargo hold.

Following complaints that the smell in the cabin made flying unbearable, passengers disembarked the Sriwijaya Air flight bound for Jakarta from Bengkulu on Sumatra Island.

Before taking off, the aircrew unloaded the fruit, which smelled like rotten onions, turpentine, and dirty gym socks.

Students and staff were evacuated from the University of Canberra library in 2019 after rescue teams responded to reports of “a strong smell of gas” inside.  It was later revealed that the durian’s odour was caused by an air vent near the facility’s second level, which was sealed afterwards.

In some Asian cities, the smelly fruit is banned from public transportation and hotel rooms.

Source: https://royalcoastreview.com/2022/07/odourless-durian-for-those-who-hate-that-smell/

image.png

-- © Copyright Royal Coast Review 2022-07-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry, I am addicted to Durian, and the smell is one of the things that keeps me coming back...............Eaten it in Thailand, Malaysia, Indiocesia, Vietnam., Laos, Cambodia and of all places - Hawaii................????  ????  ????   Peace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's a genetic thing.  Depending on which genes you have durian smells bad, if not it smells pleasant.  My Thai wife gags at just the barest hint of durian's odor, yet her father, son, and I like it.  Go figure!

Do you smell an unpleasant odor in your urine after eating aspergras?  Depending on which genes you have you can detect the smell of digested aspergras in your urine, or not.

Another example is cyanide.  Depending on which genes you have cyanide smells like almonds and is easy to detect, but for some it has no odor.  I'm a chemist and I used to be given all the jobs involving using cyanide because I can't smell - which of course was exactly the opposite of what should have been done for safety's sake.

• Like 1

Odorless durian for those who hate that smell!

That's analogous to having sex without an orgasm.  What's the point?

I can't stand the smell, but I can tell you whether or not my wife will like it by its smell.  So in the name of marital harmony, I put up with the smell on occasion. 
I guarantee my wife would turn her nose up to odorless durian or any other odorless fruits. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, John Drake said:

A month or so ago, I was coming down the stairs at home and thought I smelled a gas leak coming from the kitchen. Leaped down the last flight and ran to the kitchen to find . . . wife preparing durian. Almost broke a leg, but the durian does taste great.

Yep!  I've been there.   "Hummm.  Check the gas canister.  Nope?  Hummm, <Open refrigerator door>  Gag.  "Ah-ha.  Wifey's durian."

• Haha 1

It's certainly popular at the moment - when I occasionally pop into the sticks, I have started noticing  some industrial scale durian farms being constructed replete with water pumps and spray systems.

Let's hope the Chinese haven't bored of durian by the time the trees actually produce some fruit !

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

A month or so ago, I was coming down the stairs at home and thought I smelled a gas leak coming from the kitchen. Leaped down the last flight and ran to the kitchen to find . . . wife preparing durian. Almost broke a leg, but the durian does taste great.

Without the smell of durian, what is it? Not something that I would eat.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Without the smell of durian, what is it? Not something that I would eat.

Smell contributes a large percentage of 'taste' ... so yea, I'll be giving that a pass.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

According to growers, a variety of the popular Mon Thong strain, grown in northeastern Thailand’s Nakhon Ratchasima Province, showcased at a durian festival in Pak Chong district, is sweet, dry, and has soft flesh – but most importantly,  it is odourless.

It still looks like Durian....

17 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

I find this offensive to durians! I don't like the smell of the above but love the smell of durians. Odourless durians would be a no from me.

My introduction to them I certainly was somewhat repulsed... but that was many many years ago. On really trying them, I did find them delicious and the odour became not unpleasant. Now when I smell it I want to buy to consume and am not put off, in fact the opposite. Durian without the smell (which identifies if it is ready to eat), would be like apple pie without the pastry. 

Edited by jacko45k

22 hours ago, connda said:

Yep!  I've been there.   "Hummm.  Check the gas canister.  Nope?  Hummm, <Open refrigerator door>  Gag.  "Ah-ha.  Wifey's durian."

Your wife has a durian too?
Buy her some proper soap.

My missus told me some guy died after drinking and eating 6 durian so stopped me eating late at night 

When I opened the fridge door in the morning  the wonderful smell greeted me I even like when it repeats on me

I hope they give us a choice smelly or not