Bangkok Deluged! Massive disruption as 143 mm rainfall hits Thai capital

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

Bangkok was inundated by a massive rainstorm yesterday evening that paralysed roads. 

Some had already got home but the stragglers were caught up in the misery as the heavens opened amid high winds around 7 pm. 

Thai Rath were still reporting on the after effects at 1 am saying that at that time water levels in main thoroughfares like Pahonyothin, Kaset Nawamin, Siwara Town in Town and Ramkhamhaeng were still high enough to cause difficulty.

They reported foot deep water along Phetchaburi Road with some motorists in smaller vehicles turning back from outbound journeys to the higher ground of Pratunam and seeming alternative routes from there.

Siam Rath reported just after 11 pm that 18 roads were having problems.

They said that 143 milimeters of rain had fallen in the Saphan Sung area, 139 in Minburi and 130 in Wattana (that's the central Sukhumvit tourist area of Bangkok).

The three areas with the highest hourly precipitation were:

Phrakhanong 94 mm/hr

Saphan Sung 92

and

Thawee Wattana 88

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

4DQpjUtzLUwmJZZSEmFsJbkJD9dogIaETEPPGmlweYrR.jpg
4DQpjUtzLUwmJZZSEmFsJbkJD9dogIaKZr4O2Key1QLQ.jpg
4DQpjUtzLUwmJZZSEmFsJbkJD9dogIaMLM3qAVFajsbK.jpg
4DQpjUtzLUwmJZZSEmFsJbkJD9dogIaQcj4v1GPqepYK.jpg
  • Thanks 1

global warming!!!  run to the hills falang!!!  Don't worry, the Ark is coming for you.  Remember, head to Pattaya and get two of each.   In 50, 100-, and 150-years, there will be another falang with this exact same message.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Fancy that happening in a tropical country  ????

And also considering the billions of baht the BMA have spent ( and distributed to connected cronies ) in flood relief works

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought after the great floods Bangkok had where the city was under water for days in some Area's the drain system was repaired, apparently not.  Looking down from my lofty perch this morning I saw the new Hotel being developed near the Aetas Lumpini had all of the pilon holes filled with water and the workers using pumps to drain them so they could get the work completed before pouring the cement....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Excel said:

And also considering the billions of baht the BMA have spent ( and distributed to connected cronies ) in flood relief works

I don't think any drainage system could handle the volume of rain that fell last night.  In most areas it has drained after a few hours.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

When it rains in Thailand, it really rains. Very impressive, glad I was not there.

It is very impressive.

I think looking at that kind of rain is somehow exiting - at least if we don't have to go out at that time or soon after.