Thai Chamber of Commerce survey finds country split on marijuana legalization issue

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

A survey by the university of the Thai Chamber of Commerce found respondents split in their attitude towards the liberalization of the use of marijuana and hemp. 

58.3% opposed the move (that has already happened on June 9th) and 41.7% were in favor.

The anti-camp cited affects on youth and children yet this has already been addressed with bans on weed products for under 20s already widespread.

The pro-camp cited medical use as well as recreational as positive factors though respondents wanted laws to regulate use in place as soon as possible, reported Thai Rath

At the moment 7,500 rai of land have been planted.

The chamber of commerce says that the business is worth 2.8 billion baht now and will rise to 4.2 million baht in three years. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

30 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I'd have given you a 100% dis-approval. I guess your question pond was a bit shallow.

I have no issues with people wanting to smoke it - half way up a mountain in a weed resort - just not next door to me and my family. 

I wouldn't have included you in my results then. Simple as that.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, stoner said:

being as how it is a legal product not sure you'll get much sympathy anymore. 

i could say that i have no issues with someone using chili in their cooking...just not next door to me and my family. 

That clever and low-key answer really nails his cojones to the floor.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

The anti-camp cited affects on youth and children yet this has already been addressed with bans on weed products for under 20s already widespread.

This so called ban is as useless as it is on under 20's and other drugs.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

This so called ban is as useless as it is on under 20's and other drugs.

The original ban (prohibition) did not work very well at all did it ?  Thank god they have seen sense and removed it

• Like 2

17 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'd have given you a 100% dis-approval. I guess your question pond was a bit shallow.

I have no issues with people wanting to smoke it - half way up a mountain in a weed resort - just not next door to me and my family. 

not much point in having an issue with somebody indulging in a perfectly legal and non intrusive activity next door. What are you worried about ? Do you think that drug crazed zombies will climb over the fence and attack your family?  I cant think of any other reason for your objection

"The university of the Thai chamber of commerce"  never heard of that one , does it actually exist? I don't think so , Makes me doubt the accuracy of the entire article. 

Can anyone actually believe that anybody in the pro camp actually said " I want laws in place as soon as possible" absolute rubbish in my opinion     

The other side  need also to realise that it has always been available to those who want it especially Thai kids, the legalisation will change nothing in that respect, 

What is really needed is education, proper truthful education,   "just say NO because its very bad"   was never going to work, 

9 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

"The university of the Thai chamber of commerce"  never heard of that one , does it actually exist? I don't think so , Makes me doubt the accuracy of the entire article. 

Can anyone actually believe that anybody in the pro camp actually said " I want laws in place as soon as possible" absolute rubbish in my opinion     

The other side  need also to realise that it has always been available to those who want it especially Thai kids, the legalisation will change nothing in that respect, 

What is really needed is education, proper truthful education,   "just say NO because its very bad"   was never going to work, 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_the_Thai_Chamber_of_Commerce

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2022 at 7:16 PM, DeaconJohn said:

That clever and low-key answer really nails his cojones to the floor.

If he had any. It is way worse the smell of my neighbors cooking their chilis next door. I almost choke when they do, and that is legal?