Brexit: UK's divorce bill from EU could rise to £42.5bn

CharlieH

8 minutes ago, James105 said:

Not that many people from the UK actually...

https://theconversation.com/how-many-people-work-for-the-eu-59702

"A 2013 report by the House of Commons Foreign Affairs Select Committee noted that UK nationals working for the EU institutions is one source of British influence in the EU. Worryingly for the UK government, the number of British EU staff appears to be on a downward trend. The latest figures from the European Commission show only 3.8% of its staff are British, compared to 17.8% from Belgium, 12.5% from Italy, 10.2% from France and even 4.3% from Romania."

The UK has accepted its obligations, regardless of the nationality of the people employed to do the UK’s work at the EU.

Perhaps someone should ask Farage to forego his EU pension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, James105 said:

From the article: 

"Mr Clarke's statement says the increase is "primarily due to the most recent valuation of the UK's obligation under Article 142 for EU pensions"

UK taxpayers money going into the EU pension trough.   Quite why the people of the UK voted to leave the EU remains one of life's little mysteries.  

Not really. This insane pension pot scam is one good reason

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Let's make a deal: If the migrants cost more money than they contribute to the UK economy then the UK should keep the money.

But if the migrants pay more tax than they cost the UK tax payer then the UK should double the payment to the EU.

Now guess who would have to pay?

The EU should pay in any case. Why is France full of these people waiting for boats? 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Dene16 said:

Whilst you make a good point that can't be argued i think that many people have failed to realise why Brexit happened.

I live in a city that now that now has a population of 10% polish, creating numerous areas where UK residents feel ostracised, English, has become the second language in the local schools while surgeries  and the like could not cope with the continued influx of this migration. Areas where the birth rate was 4 times that of UK residents

I only had to go to my local pub and listen to my mother to realise the hate/anger at the continuing growth of our migrant status. Also no one could differentiate between migrant and immigrants(which is still a problem)

IMO the actual consequences of leaving the EU was irrelevant for the majority of people.

However we were a ticking time bomb unable to sustain the continuing migration to the UK that was out of control.  

Had it not been for Macron and his continued refusal and influence amongst others to allow us to refrain from the freedom of movement we would still be in the EU and everyone would of been happpy,

Goes back much further than Macron and it was not all about immigration.

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s money paid into the EU pension scheme for British members of the EU Parliament (Farage is an example) and the staff employed to perform the UK’s share of EU work.

The UK was and is paying for much more than just our own EU employees.

Edited by nauseus

30 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The UK has accepted its obligations, regardless of the nationality of the people employed to do the UK’s work at the EU.

Perhaps someone should ask Farage to forego his EU pension.

Nigel Farage doesn't receive an E.U pension 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

No solution could be found because there isn't one, and could never have been one. You either have a border or you don't. There is no in between. As I said, no-ne had any idea of the complexities, and with almost no detail available about the consequences of a split at the time of voting I find it incredible that people voted to leave, changing the very fabric of UK business, on the vaguest of promises.

History will draw on it as an example of promises being made on the flimsiest of foundations. The world already has  judged it, as I haven't read of a single country that thought Exit was a sensible and rational course. And all it did among my many European friends and colleagues was to confirm the UK as a nation of inward looking bigots who still imagine that Britain rules the world.

The solution was not to join in the first place. The referendum "promises" were rightly taken with a pinch of salt by most, who had already decided what they wanted, one way or the other.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pegman said:

Peanuts compared to the long-term losses from losing the European Union financial services industry. Makes one wonder what the heck they were thinking. 

Thinking?

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

The solution was not to join in the first place. The referendum "promises" were rightly taken with a pinch of salt by most, who had already decided what they wanted, one way or the other.  

What "promises" were those ?

I seem to recall that predictions were made and some people thought that those predictions were promises 

46 minutes ago, James105 said:

Not that many people from the UK actually...

https://theconversation.com/how-many-people-work-for-the-eu-59702

"A 2013 report by the House of Commons Foreign Affairs Select Committee noted that UK nationals working for the EU institutions is one source of British influence in the EU. Worryingly for the UK government, the number of British EU staff appears to be on a downward trend. The latest figures from the European Commission show only 3.8% of its staff are British, compared to 17.8% from Belgium, 12.5% from Italy, 10.2% from France and even 4.3% from Romania."

17.8% from Belgium! Well how about that? Although EU HQ is in Brussels that's another good reason to leave. Typical though - second highest net contributor gets a just few token EU jobs in the gravy boat. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What "promises" were those ?

I seem to recall that predictions were made and some people thought that those predictions were promises 

Yes. Several politicians (leave and remain) said things that were allegedly taken as promises. I took no notice and many others must have done the same.

Edited by nauseus

18 minutes ago, nauseus said:

17.8% from Belgium! Well how about that? Although EU HQ is in Brussels that's another good reason to leave. Typical though - second highest net contributor gets a just few token EU jobs in the gravy boat. 

Hmm, uk staff, uk did the hiring.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Dover gridlocked this weekend with lorries parked up on the side of the motorway and people waiting up to twelve hours trying to get to France for their holiday. 

The delays were because of technical issues on the French side and nothing to do with Brexit 

French police blame ‘unexpected technical incident’ in Channel Tunnel for Dover delays

https://metro.co.uk/2022/07/22/french-blame-unexpected-technical-incident-for-dover-delays-17053127/?ico=related-posts

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The delays were because of technical issues on the French side and nothing to do with Brexit 

French police blame ‘unexpected technical incident’ in Channel Tunnel for Dover delays

https://metro.co.uk/2022/07/22/french-blame-unexpected-technical-incident-for-dover-delays-17053127/?ico=related-posts

Nothing very technical about the French border guards not turning in for work. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Postmaster said:

Wombat has it right. Why are we paying any money at all to a union that we have left behind.  Just don't pay them. What can they do ?   Join this Union,  Jack !

There's actually a lot more they can do. You think the Brexiters negotiated with the EU from a position of strength? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, many Europeans didn't want the U.K to leave the E.U. , they wanted us to stay and did everything possible to stop us leaving . Some E.U citizens wanted free entry to the U.K and others are concerned about an E.U dominated by Germany and France 

They thought that playing hard ball with the Irish border and not compromising and coming to an agreement would force the U.K to remain in the E.U.

The Irish border is a minor issue in comparison to Brexit as a whole 

If there is no border between the Irish Republic and the UK part of the Irish island ...then the UK remains a hidden member state of the EU

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

Goes back much further than Macron and it was not all about immigration.

You are correct on both points. I think you are missing my point as it changes nothing i have said

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

You are correct on both points. I think you are missing my point as it changes nothing i have said

You made your particular point quite clearly - it was hard to miss - I just added others,

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Loiner said:

Sounds like it’s time to tell them “Sorry, that deal’s off.”

I wouldn't have thought that unilaterally breaking an international agreement was the best way to win friends and influence the wider international community.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RayC said:

I wouldn't have thought that unilaterally breaking an international agreement was the best way to win friends and influence the wider international community.

There are two conflicting separate agreements .

One of them needs to be changed