Liz Truss will 'deliver' on Boris Johnson's tax cuts, says Kwasi Kwarteng

CharlieH

24 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

How about staying on topic?!

The topic in your post was corruption, law breaking and incompetence. I've just given you an example of the second one.

I could also give you examples of the other two, but I'd probably be wasting my breath.

• Like 2

Just now, shackleton said:

I would think most of us retired here in Thailand would like who ever is in charge to get the pound sterling back to what it was before Brexit 

Pensioners plus Tourists would like a stronger  pound to baht exchange rate 

Unfortunately with the British economy on a downward trend as is the Thai economy, I suspect the GBP/THB exchange rates will hover around where they are now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, shackleton said:

I would think most of us retired here in Thailand would like who ever is in charge to get the pound sterling back to what it was before Brexit 

Pensioners plus Tourists would like a stronger  pound to baht exchange rate 

The current UK /Baht exchange rate is the same as it was nine years ago  , it was about 44 in 2013 and its about 44 in 2022 .

The current Baht/Pound exchange rate is the same as when the U.K was part of the E.U in 2013

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And cut public services in a society already floundering after over a decade of Tory austerity.

Yes the tax cuts will be financed by selling off even more of the National Health Service, Channel 4 and reducing Council grants even further.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The current UK /Baht exchange rate is the same as it was nine years ago  , it was about 44 in 2013 and its about 44 in 2022 .

The current Baht/Pound exchange rate is the same as when the U.K was part of the E.U in 2013

Garbage.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Do a websearch and find out that its true .

Put *Pound Baht exchange rate 2013* into a google search engine .

Here , I will do it for you :

Monday 22 April 2013 £1 GBP = ฿43.8479

When I did it, it came out as Tuesday 31 December 2013 £1 GBP = ฿54.2315

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And cut public services in a society already floundering after over a decade of Tory austerity.

It seems to be what they all want - they keep returning these goofballs time and again. The UK is in a terminally sad state. The lunatics have very much taken over the asylum.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BusyB said:

It seems to be what they all want - they keep returning these goofballs time and again. The UK is in a terminally sad state. The lunatics have very much taken over the asylum.

Do you have a better idea ?

What measures should the U.K take to solve the current problems ?

11 minutes ago, mrfill said:

When I did it, it came out as Tuesday 31 December 2013 £1 GBP = ฿54.2315

Well, yes, you did choose a different date and currencies do fluctuate .

My point was that the current Pound/Baht rate was/had been the same (at times)  prior to Brexit 

1 minute ago, BusyB said:

Since you ask:

The first thing the UK needs is an electoral system where the number of seats a party gets in parliament reflects the proportion of votes it got in the election. That would prevent a party getting an 80 seat majority on a 40% vote, and then running riot like the Tories have for far too many years.

I'm sure as a confirmed democrat you have nothing against a party getting the number of seats matching its vote from the populace?

The problem with that system is that highly populated inner cities would then have a controlling stake in politics and the sparsely populated Countryside living people would have little or no say in the elections and the Political parties would concentrate on getting the city votes and neglecting the sparsely populated areas .

Political parties would then just have to get the London/Cities vote to win the election .

Give everything to the cities and neglect the countryside and win the election .

That is the reason why the U.K has the current system , because it gives people living in sparsely populated areas a say in elections 

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

There was actually a glitch on the French side , there was a technical problem and they couldn't operate to full capacity and thus there were delays on the U.K side  .  

The U.K have just stated the problem that caused the delays , yes the U.K did blame the French for the delays , but that is because it was the French side that were the cause of the delays 

Brexit is definitely a contributing factor:

DOVER TRAFFIC - LIVE: BREXIT TO BLAME FOR ‘INCREASED TRANSACTION TIMES’ AS TRUSS URGES FRANCE TO ACT

There will be increased transaction times at the border due to extra checks needed since Brexit, the chief executive of the Port of Dover has said, as Tory leadership hopeful Liz Truss called on France to act over “entirely avoidable” delays.
Doug Bannister said the country is in a “post-Brexit environment” and that means that extra checks need to be made and “capable people” to man the booths at Dover.

Meanwhile, the foreign secretary said the delays and queues were “unacceptable”, blaming a lack of staffing by the French at the border.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/dover-traffic-today-delays-queues-news-b2129651.html

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The Brexit rules and regulations have been in place for two and a half years now , everything necessary for the rule changes have been implemented and been running smoothly for over two years now .

A technical glitch on the French side caused the current delays , 

First of all, for the past  2 and 1/2 years there hasn't been much in the way of tourism, has there? What about the situation in 2019?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, placeholder said:

First of all, for the past  2 and 1/2 years there hasn't been much in the way of tourism, has there? What about the situation in 2019?

The new rules didn't actually come into effect until the UK left finally. I think that was January 31st 2021.

(A short while later the 'oven ready deal' suddenly needed 'renegotiating'. But that's a totally different pack of lies.)

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, BusyB said:

Noone ever told you what to do. You had a veto on everything. So many optouts you were barely in or out.  Why do you keep on trotting out this bilge? What's up with you? Oh, yeah. Of course. THEY'RE all to blame. Not you. The British aren't to blame for the state of the UK are they? Or its relations with its closest neighbours. It's always THEM to blame innit?

You have all the facts you need now. I can't be bothered any more.

We were talking about the current U.K electoral process and we were not talking about Brexit .

• Like 1