Coffee Grinder

Anyone got a decent coffee grinder from Bangkok city centre?  Cheap but not awful.  Kind of hand held/palm size.

I think I want to try manual and burr?

And, if you do grind your own beans (hope that isn't a euphemism that I don't know about), what do you brew them with?

Thanks all.

5 minutes ago, bigupandchill said:

Available from lazada and I'm sure elsewhere, this design has worked well for me:

Check out iRemax Stainless Steel Manual Coffee Bean Grinde...at 71% off!฿115.00 only!Get it on Lazada now! | https://s.lazada.co.th/s.S1YCj

16585749868236651507103476982878.jpg

Thank you.  That looks interesting.  Good value also.

How do you brew your coffee?

13 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Thank you.  That looks interesting.  Good value also.

How do you brew your coffee?

French press

tried loads of different types of coffee, this one is available direct from boncafe and is the best I've found

Edited by bigupandchill

20 minutes ago, bigupandchill said:

Available from lazada and I'm sure elsewhere, this design has worked well for me:

Check out iRemax Stainless Steel Manual Coffee Bean Grinde...at 71% off!฿115.00 only!Get it on Lazada now! | https://s.lazada.co.th/s.S1YCj

16585749868236651507103476982878.jpg

An old friend of mine had the Makador Coffee Shop in Pattaya, and also sold coffee beans to other restaurants. At one he asked the owner 'Would you like to try Mokador' to which was replied 'Is it cheaper than Bon Coffee'. My mate said 'There is no coffee cheaper than Bon'  555

10 minutes ago, bigupandchill said:

French press

tried loads of different types of coffee, this one is available direct from boncafe and is the best I've found

Have you tried the wide range  from Friendship- select the beans then they grind them for you. Here  in Thailand they grow some of the best Coffee in the  world but they don't promote it unlike in Vietnam

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

... what do you brew them with?

Cheapest & easiest would be French Press or Moka Pot, and recommend Stainless Steel for both.  As I've broken a couple glass French Presses, and prefer not to cook anything in aluminum, Moka.

We have these, but not sure from what vendor:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/moka-pot-300ml450ml-moka-pot-i1817324613.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.27.66d456590yuuim

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/mayday-french-press-350ml800ml-304-304-stainless-steel-coffee-maker-i592004451.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.25.6af6c765sFFqkU

We also have a this coffee machine, which gets used most of the time.  Emphasis on coffee, not 'espresso' machine:

https://www.lazada.co.th/etzel-sn-203-etzel-espresso-machine-model-sn-203-i170962672-s213153733.html?spm=a2o4m.evaluation_my_review.0.0.662c6108OPByvz

For grinder, went with this, but it needed some tweaking, which involved giving it 1 grind setting, but works good .... now.  Grinder should be a burr grinder:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/26-household-single-mills-coffee-grinder-i2694468289.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.107.292413a4EOGStK

Actually seen the same grinder, rebadged, sell for 3800 at specialty shops.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Would that actually work?

Not really.  Buy ground if not grinding in a burr grinder.  250gr bags till you find the one you like.  We prefer arabica beans.   Cafe Roma, inexpensive & OK, which we order online, 3-5kg of beans at a time.  We go through about 75gr a day.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Cheapest & easiest would be French Press or Moka Pot, and recommend Stainless Steel for both.  As I've broken a couple glass French Presses, and prefer not to cook anything in aluminum, Moka.

We have these, but not sure from what vendor:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/moka-pot-300ml450ml-moka-pot-i1817324613.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.27.66d456590yuuim

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/mayday-french-press-350ml800ml-304-304-stainless-steel-coffee-maker-i592004451.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.25.6af6c765sFFqkU

We also have a this coffee machine, which gets used most of the time.  Emphasis on coffee, not 'espresso' machine:

https://www.lazada.co.th/etzel-sn-203-etzel-espresso-machine-model-sn-203-i170962672-s213153733.html?spm=a2o4m.evaluation_my_review.0.0.662c6108OPByvz

For grinder, went with this, but it needed some tweaking, which involved giving it 1 grind setting, but works good .... now.  Grinder should be a burr grinder:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/26-household-single-mills-coffee-grinder-i2694468289.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.107.292413a4EOGStK

Actually seen the same grinder, rebadged, sell for 3800 at specialty shops.

Brew in a Bodum. Easy simple and cheap.

Screenshot_20220723-191512_Firefox.jpg

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Have you tried the wide range  from Friendship- select the beans then they grind them for you. Here  in Thailand they grow some of the best Coffee in the  world but they don't promote it unlike in Vietnam

Fresh grinded coffee beans smell and taste better. 

Use espresso maker or aeropress.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Doesn't the Mocha pot force the water through the compressed grounds and get more oils?

TBH, I really don't notice much difference between the press, moka or machine, with a little tweaking, I can make them taste about the same.  Unless you drink espresso, which is why a said our machine is a coffee machine, as 15 bar, and espresso you want around 9 bar.  

I'm not a fan of expresso.  Drink cappuccino & Americano (strong), so far from a coffee connoisseur.

Moka pot you need to take off the flame as soon as you hear it, or it will be bitter very fast.

If needing lots of crema, you'll need a machine, and pressurized portafilter will provide more, than naked portafilter.  At least from our machine.  Most come with pressurized anyway.

• Like 1

For brewing, Melitta-style paper filters at Daiso, the Japanese 60 baht stores.

I figured out the sediment at the bottom of the cup is what messes up my sleep, even when I hadn't drunk any in 12 hours, so I need to keep the brew clean.

They also sell the filter "funnel" but last I saw they were made of hard, brittle plastic that clumsy me would probably break in a few days;  if you look around the markets that sell foreign goods you might be able to find the sturdier kind that will bounce back in one piece if you drop it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I was thinking of trying that.  I don't like the drip filter things.  I like the ca phe phin things from Vietnam.

I guess I'll try a few different beans.

Moka pot on the stove. French press is terrible certainly wouldn't waste hand ground beans on one. Or if you really want to go on with the delonghi machines are a great investment and work beautifully.

• Like 1

I've been using a stainless Bialetti moka pot for 7 years.....100g of water and fresh coffee to taste.  While it's cooking (about 1.5 min), I microwave my 0% fresh milk (not UHC) for 1 min and then froth it up with a hand whisk (spun between hands).  All set and done in less than 3 min.  As good as any cappuchino I buy in any of the fancy coffee shops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kokesaat said:

then froth it up with a hand whisk (spun between hands). 

Use this for frothing, and works surprisingly well, and surprisingly, has lasted years.  All of 60 baht from Daiso.

image.png.0391e68d45e954e2d296b68ce234e8f1.png

Edited by KhunLA

Probably not for coffee purists, but I've had an OGGI coffee machine (Lazada) for two years now and really like it.

It's big advantage and what sets it apart from others is it has various adaptors for different coffee brewing methods.  It comes with three: one for "Nespresso" type capsul;es, one for "Dolce Gusto" capsules and one for fresh ground.  There is also an insert for the fresh ground adaptor to use round coffee pads.

Most times, I just brew-up from fresh beans I've ground myself (simple electric blade grinder) and I get a very good brew each time.  The machine provides 19 bars pressure and has espresso and full cup settings.

When I want something different, I like that I can have on hand many different varieties of capsule coffee without worrying about it going stale.  There are a lot of interesting selections available online.  I like sampling various Thai coffees from small growers.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/oggi-mc2-nespresso-starbucks-1-capsule-nespresso-dolce-gusto-pod-i2341427118-s7911557241.html?clickTrackInfo=query%3Acoffee%2Bmachine%2Boggi%3Bnid%3A2341427118%3Bsrc%3ALazadaMainSrp%3Brn%3A1564295a6f5e7233678400e7bbde6832%3Bregion%3Ath%3Bsku%3A2341427118_TH%3Bprice%3A2920.00%3Bclient%3Adesktop%3Bsupplier_id%3A1000224135%3Basc_category_id%3A11781%3Bitem_id%3A2341427118%3Bsku_id%3A7911557241%3Bshop_id%3A452474&search=1&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.i40.b3d77965rzwWjc

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 5:26 AM, Hummin said:

Use espresso maker or aeropress.

I've been Aeropress-curious for some time, would you care to comment on the coffee it makes?   I guess it would depend on what one considers to be espresso.

Myself, I try for a cafe con leche style: a little bit of very strong strong coffee (app. 1/4 cup) and then fill it up with hot milk. 

12 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Myself, I try for a cafe con leche style: a little bit of very strong strong coffee (app. 1/4 cup) and then fill it up with hot milk. 

They'd call that a 'flat white' here.  Don't need anything special to make the coffee for that.  Whatever you have will do, just need strong coffee with that much milk added.

28 minutes ago, bendejo said:

I've been Aeropress-curious for some time, would you care to comment on the coffee it makes?   I guess it would depend on what one considers to be espresso.

I like it for my travels, and make decent good coffee if you have patience to do it correct. Fresh grind and right temperature you have the best coffee you can get while travelling.