Long traffic delays at Dover ferry port are fault of Brexit, claim French

onthedarkside

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, there are hotel vacancies in U.K resorts this summer

Stop making things up:

Cornwall 'already over 85 percent full' for 2022 but ‘overrated’ warn Britons
SUMMER 2021 isn't over yet, but for Cornwall-loving Britons, it's already time to think about summer 2022.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1485839/cornwall-staycation-uk-complaints-summer-2022

Just now, placeholder said:

You can say it as many times as you like. It was foretold that there would be major backups if the number of booths wasn't increased. And there are other reasons as well:

But now French officials have to stamp passports and carry out a number of checks including:

• checking the identity page
  • checking the traveller hasn't been to the EU for more than 90 days in the last 180 days
  • checking if you have at least 3 months left on your passport
  • checking that your passport is issued less than 10 years before the date you enter the country
  • checking the traveller has a return ticket
  • checking proof of insurance for your trip
  • asking whether the traveller has enough money to stay

Checking each person can take up to a minute, rather than a few seconds, transport expert Simon Calder told BBC Breakfast.

https://www.bbc.com/news/62294901

Yes, and the "new" Brexit measures have been in place for two and a half years now , and there are current delays because there was technical glitch on the French side and also the French side was understaffed . 

France would have been aware...................man, I am just saying the same things over and over again , think I am going to bail out of the discussion 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, and the "new" Brexit measures have been in place for two and a half years now , and there are current delays because there was technical glitch on the French side and also the French side was understaffed . 

France would have been aware...................man, I am just saying the same things over and over again , think I am going to bail out of the discussion 

I think you should. Try reading this BBC article, already referred to by another poster. It points out the various factors contributing to the massive delays.

The 75 minute late arrival of the French custom officials is but one factor.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It is strange that with the known facts, some just want to argue because they voted to remain and can't get over it, after 6 years.... ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

I think you should. Try reading this BBC article, already referred to by another poster. It points out the various factors contributing to the massive delays.

Yes , and once again  , the "new" Brexit travel measures have been in place for two and a half years now

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What does "many" amount to in the face of the huge exodus to the continent? Do you really think it makes economic sense that there would be enough vacanies to accommodate them? That for years Dover tourist accommodations were massively overbuilt just for the day that a situation like this would arise? This is the same kind of irrational thinking that led to Brexit.

Edited by placeholder
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bannork said:

Yes, various factors, including the French factor, as our new PM has stated.....????

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

What does "many" amount to in the face of the huge exodus to the continent? Do you really think it makes economic sense that there would be enough vacanies to accommodate them? That for years Dover tourist accommodations were massively overbuilt just for the day that a situation like this would arise?

I shall explain .

They would be stuck at Dover and not being able to get to France

They will go online and find a vacancy somewhere in the U.K (Not necessarily Cornwall, I just used Cornwall as a general example as a UK holiday destination)

If Cornwall hotels are full , they would find somewhere that has a vacancy .

They would find a vacancy in the UK and go there .  

5 hours ago, bannork said:

The biometric system has been delayed because the UK couldn't handle it, just like the import checks on goods from the EU that sail through Customs.

A smuggler's paradise!.

What was that about taking control of the borders? 

Concern from member states follows a December decision to put back some of the individual timelines that make up the 'interoperability' plan, whilst keeping the overall deadlines in place.

https://www.statewatch.org/news/2022/april/eu-biometric-borders-half-the-member-states-see-high-risks-for-entry-exit-system-plans/

As you can see from the above document delays are due to concerns within the 27 member states in the EU 

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I shall explain .

They would be stuck at Dover and not being able to get to France

They will go online and find a vacancy somewhere in the U.K (Not necessarily Cornwall, I just used Cornwall as a general example as a UK holiday destination)

If Cornwall hotels are full , they would find somewhere that has a vacancy .

They would find a vacancy in the UK and go there .  

Again, you think that what remains of tourist destinations in the UK would be enough to accommodate the huge exodus to the continent? And you think a lot of choice options remain?

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Again, you think that what remains of tourist destinations in the UK would be enough to accommodate the huge exodus to the continent? And you think a lot of choice options remain?

We are talking about the people stuck in the queues to get into France at Dover and them deciding to holiday in the U.K , instead of going to France 

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

We are talking about the people stuck in the queues to get into France at Dover and them deciding to holiday in the U.K , instead of going to France 

And wyouare assuming an awful lot of overbuilding in the UK tourist sector.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes , and once again  , the "new" Brexit travel measures have been in place for two and a half years now

Have you heard about COVID, and the summer school holidays beginning, first chance to take the family abroad?

Jeez, are you deliberately being obtuse or does it come naturally!

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, transam said:

It is strange that with the known facts, some just want to argue because they voted to remain and can't get over it, after 6 years.... ????

???? You are trying to be ironic, right??? If so, chapeau ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, bannork said:

Have you heard about COVID, and the summer school holidays beginning, first chance to take the family abroad?

Jeez, are you deliberately being obtuse or does it come naturally!

No, I was actually making the same point as you was and I pretty much have said exactly what you have said in a previous post .

My point is the same as yours, that it isnt Brexit which as caused the delays

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, I was actually making the same point as you was and I pretty much have said exactly what you have said in a previous post .

My point is the same as yours, that it isnt Brexit which as caused the delays

"But now French officials have to stamp passports and carry out a number of checks including:

• checking the traveller hasn't been to the EU for more than 90 days in the last 180 days
  • checking that your passport is issued less than 10 years before the date you enter the country

Checking each person can take up to a minute, rather than a few seconds, transport expert Simon Calder told BBC Breakfast."

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

Definitely the fault of the French.

UK rejects Dover funding bid for more French passport booths

DECEMBER 16 2020
  The UK cabinet office has rejected a £33m proposal to double the capacity for French government passport checks at the port of Dover, raising the prospect of long delays for passengers after the end of the Brexit transition period.

The English Channel port, which handles 2.2m passenger vehicles every year, had requested the funding as part of the £200m Port Infrastructure Fund announced by the government in October to pay for additional border facilities required as a result of the UK’s departure from the EU.

According to a person familiar with the matter, Dover applied for £33m to double the number of French government passport booths from five to 10 in anticipation of more stringent requirements including stamps in passports after January 1.
https://www.ft.com/content/2a6662a0-975e-4bcd-9f5b-e241256db4df

old news

12th July 2022

• To help keep waiting times to a minimum, the Port is installing 50% more booths for use by French border control to enable greater passenger throughput, with installation to be completed before the key summer getaway weekend of 22-24 July

https://www.doverport.co.uk/about/news/port-of-dover-introduces-new-measures-to-get-summ/13686/

• Thanks 2

Just now, placeholder said:

"But now French officials have to stamp passports and carry out a number of checks including:

Checking each person can take up to a minute, rather than a few seconds, transport expert Simon Calder told BBC Breakfast."

......................and they have been doing that for the last two and a half years , which shows those  measures aren't the cause of the current delays 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

......................and they have been doing that for the last two and a half years , which shows those  measures aren't the cause of the current delays 

Do you understand that for most of the last two and half years covid greatly depressed the tourist business?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

old news

12th July 2022

• To help keep waiting times to a minimum, the Port is installing 50% more booths for use by French border control to enable greater passenger throughput, with installation to be completed before the key summer getaway weekend of 22-24 July

https://www.doverport.co.uk/about/news/port-of-dover-introduces-new-measures-to-get-summ/13686/

Even if it has happened, which is not at all clear, the original request was to up the booths from 5 to 10. A 50% increase wouldn't amount to 10 booths.

• Confused 1