Dumb old falang who 'doesn't get out much' has basic banking query.

56 minutes ago, MJCM said:

In addition to the tips above.

If it is a substantial amount, I would have to sender send something like 50-100 THB first. Oke will get strange looks from the bank but who cares.

Then after you checked that the money has arrived let him send the rest.

This way the sender can't say I have send you the money but he actually didn't!

Ha! Now that sounds like a darned good idea to me! It also confirms he or she has got my account number correct. ????

Just now, Toolong said:

This may sound silly, jaywalker2, but it's just occurred to me: what the hell happens if the person inputs the wrong account number, using the atm method? Does someone else get a nice surprise, while I'm well out of pocket? ????

You input the account number and then the name of the account holder will come up. You have to confirm at both these steps. You then input the amount and you have to confirm again. Finally, you will see a screen that contains all the details -- account, account holder, amount, and fee. Then you make a final confirmation.

In other words, it's really difficult to make a mistake  as long as you verify all the information is correct at every step.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, proton said:

I only got round to doing that last week at my Krungsri branch, took them one hour and 45 minutes to get it to install and sign up for the app to work! In between got sent to AIS something to do with mobile data.

Sounds rather nightmarish, proton. Not my idea of fun. ????????????

7 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

You input the account number and then the name of the account holder will come up. You have to confirm at both these steps. You then input the amount and you have to confirm again. Finally, you will see a screen that contains all the details -- account, account holder, amount, and fee. Then you make a final confirmation.

In other words, it's really difficult to make a mistake  as long as you verify all the information is correct at every step.

Ahh! That all sounds ok. Makes sense. In theory - can't go wrong. Thanks for explaining that, jaywalker2! ????????????

1 hour ago, Digitalbanana said:

You don't have to do anything. Just ask the person to send you a notification of when it's done and then check your balance.

I like not having to do anything! ????

Re: checking, even I can do that! ????

maybe OP is from the old school where you had a bank book and the teller writes in your book each line by hand ....  so she has to write the deposit when the telex machine is working to verify everything :sorry:

i'll just leave now ..

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

maybe OP is from the old school where you had a bank book and the teller writes in your book each line by hand ....  so she has to write the deposit when the telex machine is working to verify everything :sorry:

i'll just leave now ..

Yep, I'm definitely old school! ????????

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Toolong said:

This may sound silly, jaywalker2, but it's just occurred to me: what the hell happens if the person inputs the wrong account number, using the atm method? Does someone else get a nice surprise, while I'm well out of pocket? ????

No, the name of the account holder comes up before you hit "confirm".

54 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The OP is the receiver, he's not needing to send anything.

Yes i am aware of that,just pointing out to him the possibilities of modern banking.

I hope this does not confuse you even further.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, jvs said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The OP is the receiver, he's not needing to send anything.

Yes i am aware of that,just pointing out to him the possibilities of modern banking.

I hope this does not confuse you even further.

I'm not confused, it was your irrelevant reply that was confusing.

If you were aware that he is to receive money, why did you give him suggestions on to to transfer money from his account using his phone or an ATM?...

"money can be send using an ATM machine or even better from your own chair using a bank app.

Maybe next time your are at your bank you can ask them to install the app for you and explain to you how to use it".

On 7/25/2022 at 3:21 PM, worgeordie said:

Come back and lets know if you got it, people say

they are going to do things , but especially with money

does not always happen.

regards Worgeordie

Hi worgeordie...(and all who offered advice!)

I did say I'd let you know, so fwiw....after all my efforts to find out ways of avoiding actually needing to be involved in going to the bank myself, turned out I was the one required to transport the 'transferer' to the flipping bank!!! That...and apparently, she had other business to attend to aswell as transfering my money. So...counter job. This bank has a rep for being slow, always packed & inefficient, so two & a half hour wait in the car park outside was indeed - after all that - my inevitable fate anyway!

As for the transfer....someone on this thread had warned of possible security limits re amount transferable per transaction. 500,000 baht limit, so in my case, 2 transactions needed. 

But was done in the end....+ quick run to my bank to update passbook & check money was in. 

Have gone into more detail than necessary, I'm sure, but was hoping those other kind folk on this thread who helped out with advice etc, might see this and appreciate knowing the outcome. Thanks anyway....to all. I've learnt some useful stuff! ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toolong said:

I did say I'd let you know, so fwiw....after all my efforts to find out ways of avoiding actually needing to be involved in going to the bank myself, turned out I was the one required to transport the 'transferer' to the flipping bank!!! That...and apparently, she had other business to attend to aswell as transfering my money. So...counter job. This bank has a rep for being slow, always packed & inefficient, so two & a half hour wait in the car park outside was indeed - after all that - my inevitable fate anyway!

As for the transfer....someone on this thread had warned of possible security limits re amount transferable per transaction. 500,000 baht limit, so in my case, 2 transactions needed. 

But was done in the end....+ quick run to my bank to update passbook & check money was in. 

Have gone into more detail than necessary, I'm sure, but was hoping those other kind folk on this thread who helped out with advice etc, might see this and appreciate knowing the outcome. Thanks anyway....to all. I've learnt some useful stuff! ????

Just pleased to hear you got you money , many do  not ,the old " Cheques in the post"

regards worgeordie 

2 hours ago, Toolong said:

sounds like the transferring party needs a quick lesson on how to use a banking app to transfer the money to you!

but glad to hear you got the funds. party at Toolong's tonight ????

17 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

sounds like the transferring party needs a quick lesson on how to use a banking app to transfer the money to you!

but glad to hear you got the funds. party at Toolong's tonight ????

Tbh...if anyone needs tuition in using bank apps it's me! Party? Well, kind of.....just me and my cans of Leo! ???? ????

3 hours ago, Toolong said:

Tbh...if anyone needs tuition in using bank apps it's me! Party? Well, kind of.....just me and my cans of Leo! ????????

the Bangkok Bank app is very, very useful and worth mastering so that you can spend less time in queues and more time getting stuck into your tinnies. 

eg. your can use the Scan function to quickly pay your electric bill instead of having to faff about at the 7-Eleven. The Sevens is for buying beer and Mama noodles not paying bills. 

as another poster noted, when you transfer funds using the app it shows the name of the recipient so it's not so scary like in Australia. OK sometimes that might be in Thai but there's a way to use Google to translate that for you. I won't go in to details as I'm a bit pressed for time ... gotta get to the Seven before 2pm ????

On 7/29/2022 at 1:08 PM, Lemsta69 said:

the Bangkok Bank app is very, very useful and worth mastering so that you can spend less time in queues and more time getting stuck into your tinnies. 

eg. your can use the Scan function to quickly pay your electric bill instead of having to faff about at the 7-Eleven. The Sevens is for buying beer and Mama noodles not paying bills. 

as another poster noted, when you transfer funds using the app it shows the name of the recipient so it's not so scary like in Australia. OK sometimes that might be in Thai but there's a way to use Google to translate that for you. I won't go in to details as I'm a bit pressed for time ... gotta get to the Seven before 2pm ????

Thanks, Lemsta69. ????

Interesting. I HATE the inconvenience of going anywhere to pay bills! Although - ironically! - I do find it more convenient to pay my electric bills at the 7, as there's always one somewhere along the way I'm going, so no wasted gas on special trips to PEA. But...I still like the idea of paying from my armchair!

Question though: I'm 62, and have NEVER had a credit card. Don't like the idea of things happening with my account (direct debiting etc) without my involvement! Creeps me out. Dumb as it may sound to you.......is it all unfallibly safe? 

PS: You buy your tinnies from the 7? Blimey. Big ol' mark up. Got shares in CP, Lemsta? ???? (Yeah, I know they get a commission when I pay my leccy bills there! ????)

The op says he is with Bangkok Bank ?, you can set up an sms message service ( costs 15 baht a month ) and you will receive a sms message instantly when any money is debited or deposited to your account ( above 500 baht I think).
Worth it for peace of mind.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 4:03 PM, Toolong said:

No you should not be out of pocket, the sender put the wrong account number in, it is their responsibility.  Be sure you gave them the correct account number, have them read it back to you to confirm.

On 7/25/2022 at 4:03 PM, Toolong said:

Only if you're too stupid to see the name of the receiving account holder isn't as expected.

When it's a delivery driver, I always hold my phone up to them and ask 'is this you?'

1 hour ago, Toolong said:

Thanks, Lemsta69. ????

Interesting. I HATE the inconvenience of going anywhere to pay bills! Although - ironically! - I do find it more convenient to pay my electric bills at the 7, as there's always one somewhere along the way I'm going, so no wasted gas on special trips to PEA. But...I still like the idea of paying from my armchair!

Question though: I'm 62, and have NEVER had a credit card. Don't like the idea of things happening with my account (direct debiting etc) without my involvement! Creeps me out. Dumb as it may sound to you.......is it all unfallibly safe? 

PS: You buy your tinnies from the 7? Blimey. Big ol' mark up. Got shares in CP, Lemsta? ???? (Yeah, I know they get a commission when I pay my leccy bills there! ????)

Actually, I feel exactly the same way. I don't have a credit card, although I do have several debit cards but I usually pay cash for everything for accessinng money. It's faster in check out lines, makes budgeting easier, and I don't have to worry about constantly reconciling my statements. There's a reason people in Thailand (and the U.S.) are up to theiir ears in debt.

On the other hand, I can see why few people would want to follow my example.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The op says he is with Bangkok Bank ?, you can set up an sms message service ( costs 15 baht a month ) and you will receive a sms message instantly when any money is debited or deposited to your account ( above 500 baht I think).

When I tried to set up this facility in connection with monthly transfers from my UK account I was informed by Bangkok Bank that this would only be possible if I had a debit card linked to my account with them, which I don't. In his post immediately preceding yours the OP stated that he had  "NEVER had a credit card"!

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

When I tried to set up this facility in connection with monthly transfers from my UK account I was informed by Bangkok Bank that this would only be possible if I had a debit card linked to my account with them, which I don't. In his post immediately preceding yours the OP stated that he had  "NEVER had a credit card"!

Yes, a CREDIT card !!

No mention of whether he possesses a DEBIT card or not ??

On this basis I think my suggestion still stands.

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Thanks for that info, Andrew. I'd be happy to pay 15 baht for that peace of mind! ????????

3 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

Actually, I feel exactly the same way. I don't have a credit card, although I do have several debit cards but I usually pay cash for everything for accessinng money. It's faster in check out lines, makes budgeting easier, and I don't have to worry about constantly reconciling my statements. There's a reason people in Thailand (and the U.S.) are up to theiir ears in debt.

On the other hand, I can see why few people would want to follow my example.

I don't mind being in that credit-cardless minority! ????????

• Like 1

Generally what absolute confusing and awful advise given to the poster, especially one bright spark telling him that he needs an app to receive an online payment!!? come again?

I'm confused after reading that lot.

Glad you got it sorted....... however it would have been much less of a strain had you just gone to the bank rather than post on here for 'advise' (Not your fault)

7 hours ago, Toolong said:

Thanks, Lemsta69. ????

I don't have a local credit card. I've read on here that they can be hard to get without a work permit/source of funds or that your need to provide collateral.

I don't have a local debit card either, still working on that. but when I do I won't keep very much money in that account. I'll transfer cash in from another account as needed. I'll also keep a big wad of cash in my pocket as backup.

but you don't need a credit/debit card to pay for stuff with the Bangkok Bank (BBL) app. a lot of merchants use the QR code system to accept payment. 

for example, my electricity bills have a small QR code printed on them. I use the BBL app's Scan function to read this code. it pre-fills the payee and the amount. then I confirm payment by entering my PIN. so I have total control over the funds from the get-go. 

you can also use this QR code system at other merchants although it's not as widespread as it could be. eg. my local Seven doesn't seem to support it.

as for their beer prices, will I live in Lumphini, Bangkok and don't have a car so it's easier just to do the short walk to the local inconvenience store. if you buy in bulk you drink in bulk is my experience. 

On 7/25/2022 at 2:18 PM, jvs said:

Also money can be send using an ATM machine or even better from your

own chair using a bank app.

Maybe next time your are at your bank you can ask them to install the app for you

and explain to you how to use it.

It is pretty easy and safe to use.

That's the best, quickest, and safest method.

If you don't know how just go to the branch and have them explain it to you.  Bring your partner to smooth out the language barrier.

After your first few transfers you'll wonder why you haven't been doing this for years!

Bangkok Bank is in the process of closing many branches so it might be wise to learn now instead of later. 

• Like 1