The Pub Has A New Name

blackcab

Please keep in mind that the derivation of the term "farang" has taken many twists and turns over history.

In my case, Being Here in Thailand, I consider myself a "faux farang", one embodying all the good qualities connoted by the term "farang", while, at the same time, having rid myself of all of the negative connotations associated with this word.

I embrace the term, 'farang', but only according to my own interpretation of this term.

You could probably spend a year investigating and documenting nuances of the term 'farang' as it has evolved over the decades.

Maybe I will write a post about this, or start a topic about this, when and if I have enough time to research this topic, and do it justice.

Meanwhile, in order to live in this world, we must all happily embrace change, and adapt accordingly.

Regards,

GloBOBulin

Please Note:  Over the years, I have noticed occasional confusion among people who first encounter the term 'farang'.  Therefore, before becoming immersed in Thai life, or life anywhere around here, then, my considered advice for folks who might be curious about this term, is for these newcomers to read this Wikipedia submission, and you will be very glad you did:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farang#:~:text=Farang (Persian%3A فرنگ) is,Old French%3A "franc".

This is good advice, at no cost to you.

Edited by GammaGlobulin