Onward flight - throw away tickets

I have been avidly reading these forums and it suddenly dawned on me that I need advice about my situation. My Thai wife and I are currently located in the UK (my wife on the 5 year route, attends her citizenship ceremony tomorrow!). We have booked flights to Bangkok on 3 November (arriving 4 November) returning to UK on 2 February next year. My intention was to enter visa exempt for 30 days, open a bank account, and apply for a 60 day extension. My issue is the "onward flight" provision. I understand that this has to be within the 30 day visa exempt period but of course our return flight is not until February. Does this mean that I will need to book a "throw away" flight before 30 days have elapsed or is there a simpler way around this dilemma? I have no problem applying for a visa, which I believe would give me 60 + 30 days I need if this is easier. All being well, on return to the UK we will make arrangements to rent out (or sell) our house and then return to Thailand for an indefinite period, and this raises a further question: as it is my ultimate intention to live long term in Thailand would it be possible for me to obtain a 12 month extension under either of the above scenarios and apply for a re-entry permit at the airport when we leave in February? Sorry it's a bit long winded! 

In my experience, Thai Airways don't seem to care about having a return flight. Other airlines do and have checked me for it. Fly Thai and you're unlikely to need a "throw away ticket".

Edited by soi3eddie

2 hours ago, nerjaron said:

I understand that this has to be within the 30 day visa exempt period but of course our return flight is not until February

You can buy a rent a "flight ticket". 

Google that term and you will find companies that provide that onward flight that sometimes airlines require.

You could also buy the cheapest throw away ticket.

Not cheap perhaps approx 1500baht. 

The plan you outline to obtain the non O in Thailand and subsequent extension will be fine. 

Don't think tourist visa is best option.

As you mentioned.....you can obtain 60 day extension to visit Thai wife.

Do you have Thai bank account in your name for the non O .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nerjaron said:

My intention was to enter visa exempt for 30 days, open a bank account, and apply for a 60 day extension.

You do not need financial proof to get a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

Immigration may require you to apply for the normal 30 day extension before applying for the 60 day extension.

You could apply for a single entry non-o visa based upon your marriage to a Thai that would allow a 90 day stay. The visa is valid for entry to the country for 3 months from the day it is issued so you would have plenty of time to do the application and have the visa issued. No need for a return or onward ticket if using a visa for entry.

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You can buy a rent a "flight ticket". 

Google that term and you will find companies that provide that onward flight that sometimes airlines require.

that's great info.....never knew about it - could have used that dozens of times if I had. Thank you!

• Like 1

This is perhaps a controversial idea, but I can share what've done (successfully) two times: I just edited an old Airplane ticket/booking in Adobe Reader and printed it out. Staff at the counter just checked the tickets date and voila - I was able to enter. 

Embassies as well air counter staff *do* have access to a database showing if a ticket is live or not, but I would argue it's used rarely. 

• Like 2

Many thanks to all who have replied, this has helped enormously. Regarding the last part of my original query, is there any way to obtain a 12 month extension at the outset, and apply for a re-entry permit when I leave Thailand in February? Thanks again to all.

7 minutes ago, nerjaron said:

Many thanks to all who have replied, this has helped enormously. Regarding the last part of my original query, is there any way to obtain a 12 month extension at the outset, and apply for a re-entry permit when I leave Thailand in February? Thanks again to all.

That could be done.

The best way would be to enter with a non-o visa, open a Thai bank account and transfer in the equivalent of 400k baht or more into it. Then when the 400k baht has been in the bank for 2 months you could apply for a one year extension based on marriage to a Thai.

• Like 1

Ideally, you could get a non-im O visa before you leave UK, which will se you up for getting a Thai bank account and then a marriage or retirement extension for 1 year.  Get your re-entry permit when you get the visa, to save messing about later, and then you should be set for life in Thailand.

My experiences have been that 1 yr visas are easy do get without using/paying for agent.

Warning!  Some UK banks will not accept you account if you have an overseas address.  from experience I know that HSBC and Santander will allow a Thai address.  I believe that Mastercard will not send a new/replacement card to Thailand.  Consider this if you want to keep a UK bank credit card.

Do not get a joint account with your wife in a Thai bank as some I/O will want double the money in that account for visa purposes.  i.e. 1,600,000 baht for retirement visa

Check Thai Embassy UK web-site for visa requirements.  I found their requirement for Non IM visa to arduous and wil be trying the Non visa- change to non im when in Thailand route.

Onward ticket?  Expedia was offering  a BKK- SIN ticket for £30

• Like 1

I agree with Robin. If not too much of a hassle get a Non 0 before leaving as you have time.

Make it a lot easier to open a bank account close to where convenient & once money seasoned can apply & obtain visa for 12 months. (Don't forget rentry permit) From there just gotta plan your trips

to ensure here in the country for next 12 months extension.

That is plan A.

FWIW I have used a throw-away ticket to Singapore in the past and will be doing it again in a couple weeks.  Current prices are about $55 but some of that is due to my procrastination habit, I think it was under $50 when I first checked.

My theory -- probably stupid -- is that Singapore looks more respectable because it's so obviously not a cheap/backpacker destination.

14 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

This is perhaps a controversial idea, but I can share what've done (successfully) two times: I just edited an old Airplane ticket/booking in Adobe Reader and printed it out. Staff at the counter just checked the tickets date and voila - I was able to enter. 

Embassies as well air counter staff *do* have access to a database showing if a ticket is live or not, but I would argue it's used rarely. 

The airline could very well blacklist you if you are caught doing that, which is as easy as them checking the booking number as you pointed out.

Edited by shdmn
  • Haha 1

On 7/26/2022 at 6:53 AM, daveAustin said:

Bearing in mind Thai bank accounts can be tricky to get nowadays without a work permit, or non o visa at the least. Would be inclined to get a non O from London to save hassles. 

Thai  bank accounts are NOT tricky  to get. Just don't argue like a cheap Charlie  about an insurance package.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Rory Pedley said:

Worked where and with which airline.

Jetstar....bus ticket (different company) to Vietnam

You were lucky.

I use Jetstar and aware of their policy.

Bus ticket has never cut it. 

Did in your case.

As I stated.. lucky. 

• 1 month later...

Following all of the much appreciated advice, I subsequently applied for the Non-O visa which was approved in double quick time. Forgive me if this follow up question is a bit dumb, but the notification letter (attached) does not specifically state that it (the letter) IS the actual visa and I am left wondering if something is missing. There is nothing in my passport to show that the visa has been granted. Do I just show the letter when I arrive in Bkk and they give me a 90 day stamp in my passport? Then when I apply for the 12 months extention another stamp in my passport? Please forgive my ignorance - although I have been to Thailand many times these have always been on the 30 day visa exempt route and I want to be sure I have the full documentation. Thanks again to all. 

NonOvisa.pdf

15 minutes ago, nerjaron said:

Following all of the much appreciated advice, I subsequently applied for the Non-O visa which was approved in double quick time. Forgive me if this follow up question is a bit dumb, but the notification letter (attached) does not specifically state that it (the letter) IS the actual visa and I am left wondering if something is missing. There is nothing in my passport to show that the visa has been granted. Do I just show the letter when I arrive in Bkk and they give me a 90 day stamp in my passport? Then when I apply for the 12 months extention another stamp in my passport? Please forgive my ignorance - although I have been to Thailand many times these have always been on the 30 day visa exempt route and I want to be sure I have the full documentation. Thanks again to all. 

NonOvisa.pdf 449.12 kB · 1 download

That is your e visa and it states that more than once. 

Print out a copy of it to show immigration when entering the country. Also a good idea to keep a copy of handy after arriving.

Many thanks for your further advice ubonjoe. As a lifelong civil servant (retired) I have seen many examples of ambiguous correspondence and perhaps I am a little over cautious with my literal reading of the letter. However I am now reassured by your reply and this will be one thing less for me to (needlessly) worry about in the run up to our flight in November. Ning and I are very much looking forward to getting back to Thailand after not seeing her family for over 2 years. Thanks again!