Price of a Pint of Guinness in Pattaya.

Jumbo1968

Maggie May on Soi Pothole used to serve up a great pint of Guinness at a decent price and it come with a shamrock on the head. It’s now a Gentleman’s Club, I can think of other names what a Gentleman’s Club is though is and what goes on behind closed doors and the price of a pint has increased substantially. 
I just want to enjoy a decent pint with out the ‘extras’ !

Edited by Jumbo1968

Guinness is now poured everywhere by using Nitrogen as the agent.

You cannot use Co2 as it is is absorbed too quickly into the product & would create far too much head.

I still think the draught is trucked up from Malaysia & used to be made under licence by

Anchor Brewery. Cannot see how can sell at 220 pint if comes from Dublin knowing the freight rates on a 20ft container. Would appreciate any confirmation on this

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Excel said:

As matter of interest, how much is a pint of Guiness in the UK know ?

Excel, you are lazy. I looked it up for you on Google. generally less than £5 it seems to be. 

My most memorable and consistently good pint of guineas out side of Dublin was the London Boat show during the late 70's / early 80's. Back in the day before all day drinking, use to head to the Guiness stand at Earls Court at 10:00 when the doors opened and sup the day away. Used to be on for a week or more, so went more than once each year. Oh to be a student again.

Guiness use to make a unique brew specially for the boat show so it could travel,  and still retain the full Dublin experience.  Staff followed the golden rule of part pouring the glass and topped up when about to serve.  At opening time, there were trays of the black stuff all ready and part ready awaiting the rush.

Screenshot_20220727-015027_Google.jpg.4322d3ff3204d757249732cf4ef1fb8a.jpg

• Haha 1

I guess Brighton would be the proper comparison to Pattaya?

A bit of flash Internet research tells me that in 2020 the average beer price was £5.19 a pint in London and £5.02 in Brighton. It probably hasn't gotten any cheaper.  5 GBP is 220.92 THB says Google.

So if we agree that Guinness is more expensive than the average beer, and that Pattaya is nicer than Brighton, then I think 209 THB is a very competitive price!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

The price of 209 baht is good. But what does it taste like?

I used to drink Guinness in the UK, many years ago,  and thought it was a good drink, until I went to Dublin and tried it.

It tasted so much better, more flavor, more creamy......just better!

I agree with that... a trip to visit a pal in Cork spoiled me... and he took me to a few places where the stuff was especially good, one being a golf club, another a scruffy little place. Struggled to find comparable quality in UK...and a bit of an argument in the USA with a bar owner there over whether it traveled well, taught me they were deluded there. 

Edited by jacko45k

Used to be my preferred drink in the UK then one day when I went into my local the landlord informed me Greene King had removed it because he wasn't selling enough. One thing I dislike about certain aspects of modern life is the removal of choice by larger companies pursuing maximum profit.

13 hours ago, KannikaP said:

My first pint at 15 years old in 1963 was Red Barrel @ 1/6d. Then Whitbread Tankard @ 1/8d !

I would not class Ashton-under-Lyne as 'southern'.

It could only get better after that pxss!

• Haha 2

On 7/26/2022 at 10:54 AM, Jumbo1968 said:

sell draught Guinness

Who needs competition.

That's according to the brewing monopolies in Thailand in any case. 

Hopefully things will change. 

"Thailand’s alcohol industry has long been monopolised by two government-backed breweries, Boon Rawd Brewery, who produce Singha and Leo and Thai Beverage Brewery who produce Chang beer. Another brewery, Thai Asia Pacific, produces Heineken and Tiger, two more popular beers in Thailand."

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailands-cabinet-votes-in-favour-of-revolutionary-alcohol-brewing-act

6 hours ago, petermik said:

Titbread Wankard we used to call it in upmarket Rochdale...a good beer though along with Wilson's Dark mild...aah memories.

I would have thought that a nice drop of Boddingtons would have been available in your area.

• Like 2

The quality  of draught Guinness depends on the turnover. I don't know many places selling Guinness. It would to have a list. I only know of one place.

However, one thing intrigues me is the concept of "draught/draft Guinness  in a can." The two are antithetical surely?

Or have I misunderstood something?

A few years ago Guinness brought out a machine called a Nitrosurger,the cans didn’t have a widget, prior to opening you put the can on the machine which vibrated  the Guinness, I believe they sell the the machine in the U.K. not sure how readily the cans are.

On 7/26/2022 at 2:35 PM, mikeymike100 said:

The price of 209 baht is good. But what does it taste like?

I used to drink Guinness in the UK, many years ago,  and thought it was a good drink, until I went to Dublin and tried it.

It tasted so much better, more flavor, more creamy......just better!

Yes...mother's milk....always best in Ireland. But the international stuff is pretty good these days and I can just about handle it! ????

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I remember Watneys Red Barrel and the tv adverts, it was like Worthington E, horrible, I think both were more a southern drink ?

You mean to say Watneys Red Barrel no good ? I had Watneys Red Barrel only ONCE in my life - and this was approx. 45 years ago in Belgium I believe. It has left such an impression of being a tasty beer on me that I still remember this event even today !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I agree with that... a trip to visit a pal in Cork spoiled me... and he took me to a few places where the stuff was especially good, one being a golf club, another a scruffy little place. Struggled to find comparable quality in UK...and a bit of an argument in the USA with a bar owner there over whether it traveled well, taught me they were deluded there. 

Me too. A little place near Cobh, Peg's Pub. The most beautiful drink, so I carried on all afternoon.

Taxi driver had to pull me out...after just one more for the road of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

You mean to say Watneys Red Barrel no good ? I had Watneys Red Barrel only ONCE in my life - and this was approx. 45 years ago in Belgium I believe. It has left such an impression of being a tasty beer on me that I still remember this event even today !

So why did you never drink it again? ????

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, nauseus said:

So why did you never drink it again? ????

That's easy: Because I never saw it again and I have been to quite a number of different countries in this world. And when I was in England or the Channel Islands where it might have been available I had to work and could not make a tour through the pubs.

Or do you know a place where in Pattaya I may taste it again ? I think it was draught beer, not in a bottle. Had it in a pub somewhere in Belgium while I was on my way to the Netherlands by car.

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

That's easy: Because I never saw it again and I have been to quite a number of different countries in this world. And when I was in England or the Channel Islands where it might have been available I had to work and could not make a tour through the pubs.

Or do you know a place where in Pattaya I may taste it again ? I think it was draught beer, not in a bottle. Had it in a pub somewhere in Belgium while I was on my way to the Netherlands by car.

Hard to find as it was widely reviled as being total rats push. 

Pattaya? Not very familiar.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Hard to find as it was widely reviled as being total rats push. 

Pattaya? Not very familiar.

Interesting. I did like it. A good example how tastes may differ even if your taste is against the majority. But maybe you like Som Tam Isaan Style. And maybe it depends on the circumstances as well where a "rats push" as you put it so eloquently might be refreshing when ice cold...

To be precise it is not Pattaya but Sattahip, but my wife and me are in the city nearly every day - thats where we shop.