Price of a Pint of Guinness in Pattaya.

Jumbo1968

20 minutes ago, Martin Brit said:

Ice cold guinness was invented in Ireland (a commercial decision) to overcome the issue of having to wait for it to settle before completing the filling of a pint. As you pointed out earlier - 15 partly filled glasses ready to top up before opening the bar. Chilling it meant they could complete the task in one pour. Guinness as with all proper real ale in UK is meant to be drunk at a temperature not too cold, then you get the flavour. The whole argument in UK with larger drinkers is that Larger is tasteless (fizzy <deleted>), thats because its chilled. 

You obviously did not come close to a real German Pils yet. You should (in Germany, where they celebrate the filling of the glass slowly in batches to produce the right amount and consistency of the foam - which takes time). Pils in a bottle just poured is by far not the same thing, so forget this comparison.

25 minutes ago, Martin Brit said:

Ice cold guinness was invented in Ireland (a commercial decision) to overcome the issue of having to wait for it to settle before completing the filling of a pint. Re pointed out earlier - 15 partly filled glasses ready to top up before opening the bar. Chilling it meant they could complete the task in one pour. Guinness as with all proper real ale in UK is meant to be drunk at a temperature not too cold, then you get the flavour. The whole argument in UK with larger drinkers is that Larger is tasteless (fizzy <deleted>), thats because its chilled. 

Not correct maybe for lager, but a good bar person fills Guinness 75% then let’s it settle before topping it up. The hand pulled was a bit more complex, it used to take 2/3 pulls, you had to order it when you were halfway down your previous one.

3 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Not correct maybe for lager, but a good bar person fills Guinness 75% then let’s it settle before topping it up. The hand pulled was a bit more complex, it used to take 2/3 pulls, you had to order it when you were halfway down your previous one.

I never found that to be a particularly onerous task.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Why what’s wrong with Cheap Charlie’s, I found the place to be spotless and very helpful staff or are you hi so ?

I go maybe once a month for a fair feed at a fair price at Cheap Charlies.

Have never seen any of the girls on their phones.

I don't drink the dark stuff but will give it a go one day.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Martin Brit said:

Ice cold guinness was invented in Ireland (a commercial decision) to overcome the issue of having to wait for it to settle before completing the filling of a pint. Re pointed out earlier - 15 partly filled glasses ready to top up before opening the bar. Chilling it meant they could complete the task in one pour. Guinness as with all proper real ale in UK is meant to be drunk at a temperature not too cold, then you get the flavour. The whole argument in UK with larger drinkers is that Larger is tasteless (fizzy <deleted>), thats because its chilled. 

I will never forget the first time I walked into the long bar at the Arlington hotel in Dublin at 10.20 one morning. There must have been 30/40 two-thirds filled glasses of stout on the counter.

A sight to behold.

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I will never forget the first time I walked into the long bar at the Arlington hotel in Dublin at 10.20 one morning. There must have been 30/40 two-thirds filled glasses of stout on the counter.

A sight to behold.

I worked at Irish Steel in the late eighties for a couple of months lived in a hotel in Cobh, small family run pubs in the village, the best Guinness ever !

I was in Hat Yai about 2 months ago and there were 2 different (small shops) I seen selling Guinness in the can. Small cans and not the draught in can. More than likely taken directly from Malaysia. The shops were just a couple of rows up from the railway station. Being Irish, it sure was good to see it there and I did buy a good few in one of the shops during my stay in Hat Yai.

1 minute ago, GoRover said:

I was in Hat Yai about 2 months ago and there were 2 different (small shops) I seen selling Guinness in the can. Small cans and not the draught in can. More than likely taken directly from Malaysia. The shops were just a couple of rows up from the railway station. Being Irish, it sure was good to see it there and I did buy a good few in one of the shops during my stay in Hat Yai.

That might have been the original Guinness which was sold in bottles in the U.K., tastes nothing like Draught Guinness albeit I used to drink it before moving onto of Draught Guinness.

I am sure at one time when you were in hospital Guinness or Mackeson was given to some patients to increase their iron levels.

• Like 1

Used to drink Black and Tan late fifties. Russian stout with Guinness. Great drink. Now it’s the occasional Tiger…..got into that habit in the Andrew in Singapore 1963. Used to enjoy Watney’s Brown Ale back then in England. Back in England in the early nineties and asked for one of those, and the young guy behind the bar just looked blank. Older bartender told me, long gone mate. I guess they were bought out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mansell said:

Used to drink Black and Tan late fifties. Russian stout with Guinness. Great drink. Now it’s the occasional Tiger…..got into that habit in the Andrew in Singapore 1963. Used to enjoy Watney’s Brown Ale back then in England. Back in England in the early nineties and asked for one of those, and the young guy behind the bar just looked blank. Older bartender told me, long gone mate. I guess they were bought out.

Cider and Guinness was used to be popular as was Guinness and Blackcurrant.

Had the stuff all over the world

Not any real differences. it's just Bs /snobbery.

But they all give you.

Black turds.

Big skid marks.

Massive Klingons.

Wet farts.

No thank you.  been there had the tee shirt and all of the above. :giggle:

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Blimey Mansell, how old are you?

4 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Snob!   ????

Sitting where exactly ?

Having a bit of a class crusade today?

Can't beat a good beer anywhere as long as it's in good company.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

Seems Guinness is brewed in 49 countries around the world, so I reckon there will be a few differences....

GUINNESS FACTS

How Old? Arthur Guinness signed the lease for the St. James's Gate Brewery on 31st December 1759.

Ingredients GUINNESS stout is made from four natural ingredients: Water Barley – malted and roasted Hops Yeast No artificial colourings or flavourings are added.

Colour GUINNESS stout is ruby red in colour. It's the roasted barley that gives GUINNESS its colour.

Global GUINNESS is brewed in 49 countries worldwide and sold in over 150. Guinness owns 5 breweries in 5 countries around the world. These are in: Ireland (Dublin), Malaysia, and three in Africa - Nigeria, Ghana, and Cameroon. Where is GUINNESS sold? The most GUINNESS is sold in Great Britain, followed by Ireland, Nigeria, United States of America and Cameroon. How much is sold? 10 million glasses of GUINNESS are enjoyed every day around the world.

6 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Blimey Mansell, how old are you?

I remember Watneys Red Barrel and the tv adverts, it was like Worthington E, horrible, I think both were more a southern drink ?

Edited by Jumbo1968

18 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Used to drink Black and Tan late fifties. Russian stout with Guinness.

A Black % Tan was/is a light beer ie pale ale, lager, topped with a dark beer, usually Guiness.

A Black Velvet is Guiness & sparkling wine.

A Snakebite is Guiness and lager.

10 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I remember Watneys Red Barrel and the tv adverts, it was like Worthington E, horrible, I think both were more a southern drink ?

My first pint at 15 years old in 1963 was Red Barrel @ 1/6d. Then Whitbread Tankard @ 1/8d !

I would not class Ashton-under-Lyne as 'southern'.

Edited by KannikaP

21 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

That might have been the original Guinness which was sold in bottles in the U.K., tastes nothing like Draught Guinness albeit I used to drink it before moving onto of Draught Guinness.

I am sure at one time when you were in hospital Guinness or Mackeson was given to some patients to increase their iron levels.

Yes, it was the old Guinness stout, not the draught. And it used  to be prescribed by a number of doctors, many years ago, to build up your iron levels. Used to know someone who had a bad motorbike accident and his doctor told him to take Guinness. Also some expectant mothers used to be told to take it too. Ah how times have changed.......

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

A Black % Tan was/is a light beer ie pale ale, lager, topped with a dark beer, usually Guiness.

A Black Velvet is Guiness & sparkling wine.

A Snakebite is Guiness and lager.

Snakebite was Guinness and Cider where I come from, some bars refused to sell because of its potency. I worked with a fella his drink was Guinness and Drambuie.

2 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Snakebite was Guinness and Cider where I come from, some bars refused to sell because of its potency. I worked with a fella his drink was Guinness and Drambuie.

Can't be more potent than half the sum of it's two ABVs.

3 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I remember Watneys Red Barrel and the to adverts, it was like Worthington E, horrible, I think both were more a southern drink ?

Watneys started it and you can follow the genealogy of <deleted> beer throughout history. "Harp stays sh!t to the bottom of the glass" and then we had Skol, Fosters, Castlemain XXXX, etc. No wonder CAMRA took off in those years.

God save us from Australian beer, at least they didn't give us their rotting VB - the worst beer in the world. I do like James Bogue Premium but that's Tasmanian so it doesn't count.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, moogradod said:

Try Weihenstephaner Vitus (available in Central Pattaya Festival). Not as dark as Guiness, but multiple times more tasty. Same price range as the Guiness. Has a high alcohol content of more than 7 %. However it should be drunk cold ????

,????????????☹️☹️☹️Terrible

All the stuff sold here, and indeed most of the Guinness sold outside of Ireland, is nitrokeg. So dispensed very cold using a mix of 75% nitrogen and 25% CO2. The use of mainly nitrogen gives a smoother taste and tighter creamier head. The beer is pasteurised to give a longer shelf life.

Guinness brewed in Malaysia is in bottles only and has a very different taste.