Price of a Pint of Guinness in Pattaya.

Jumbo1968

I believe the Guinness sold in Thailand is brewed in Asia, what I can’t understand is why they never sell draught Guinness in a can.

It's brewed in Malaysia by Heineken Malaysia (formerly Guinness Anchor Berhad) https://www.heinekenmalaysia.com/brands/guinness/ .

The Thai distributor called TAP group https://www.tapb.co.th decided not to included canned or bottled Guinness (anymore) and only sells draft in Thailand.

Elsewhere in Southeast Asia, outside Malaysia, you can find cans and bottles of the devil's lovely buttermilk! I recently saw regular cans and bottles of Foreign Extra in Indonesia.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

The price of 209 baht is good. But what does it taste like?

I used to drink Guinness in the UK, many years ago,  and thought it was a good drink, until I went to Dublin and tried it.

It tasted so much better, more flavor, more creamy......just better!

TBH it was fine, I have had better but some times it depends how it is kept and poured, the biggest issue is in this temperature it soon loses its chill.

59 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

The price of 209 baht is good. But what does it taste like?

I used to drink Guinness in the UK, many years ago,  and thought it was a good drink, until I went to Dublin and tried it.

It tasted so much better, more flavor, more creamy......just better!

Beer always taste better in the original country, maybe psychological, portugal, spain, Thailand, Mexico all the same

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Excel said:

As matter of interest, how much is a pint of Guiness in the UK know ?

As always depends where but doubt you will get much if any change from a fiver in the south east. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Beer always taste better in the original country, maybe psychological, portugal, spain, Thailand, Mexico all the same

TBH I can’t disagree, I was sitting in an open bar drinking Guinness and unless you drank it very quick it started to warm up, might be different in a bar with AC though.

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

TBH it was fine, I have had better but some times it depends how it is kept and poured, the biggest issue is in this temperature it soon loses its chill.

I'm delighted you haven't sunk to the level of adding ice to it. Or have you? ????????????

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

TBH I can’t disagree, I was sitting in an open bar drinking Guinness and unless you drank it very quick it started to warm up, might be different in a bar with AC though.

Maybe I am misinformed, but the decent way to drink a Guiness is warm to my knowledge. Not that I would ever drink that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Maybe I am misinformed, but the decent way to drink a Guiness is warm to my knowledge. Not that I would ever drink that.

In the UK you can get Guinness or Guinness Cold so it doesn't matter really. In TH, they need to chill it to keep the gas (and hence the pour) under control otherwise you end up with a Guinness fire extinguisher.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Excel said:

As matter of interest, how much is a pint of Guiness in the UK know ?

Anywhere from 100-200 baht equivalent in my town. Lots of places sell a good pint at ~ £3 / 130 baht. London around a fiver, 220 baht ish.

• Like 1

8 cans of that stuff just get me 'quite drunk' in the UK...can still function so a half pint would be money down the drain...no idea what it is but can drink that stuff till i swell like a whale..just that stuff mind you.

Half pint would just be a memory lane type zero buzz deal.

24 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm delighted you haven't sunk to the level of adding ice to it. Or have you? ????????????

The only drink I ever put ice in is whisky, I have colleagues here who put ice in their beer, no idea why, it just dilutes it and ends up like water !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Every Factor That Affects the Quality of Your Guinness, Explained

From the above link, and I presume the temperature in is Fahrenheit so 4°C to 6°C, which for my taste is too cold.  I like mine more around 45° F, but over 50°F is too warm.  Keeping it at the right temperature is impossible in Thailand, but it is still better than the local swill even if it gets a little too warm.

"TEMPERATURE

Incorrect pouring temperature contributes to “90-plus percent of the draft issues you experience at a pub or bar,” McClellan says. Guinness should be poured at 38 degrees, which ensures it isn’t over-carbonated. By the time it’s handed to a customer, the temperature will be somewhere between 38 and 43 degrees."

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 3STTW said:

In the UK you can get Guinness or Guinness Cold so it doesn't matter really. In TH, they need to chill it to keep the gas (and hence the pour) under control otherwise you end up with a Guinness fire extinguisher.

Nowadays all beers are served via pumps/gas etc, the old hand pulled pumps were excellent but the breweries decided it was quicker for gas/pumps and generate more revenue.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 3STTW said:

Ice cold guinness was invented in Ireland (a commercial decision) to overcome the issue of having to wait for it to settle before completing the filling of a pint. Re pointed out earlier - 15 partly filled glasses ready to top up before opening the bar. Chilling it meant they could complete the task in one pour. Guinness as with all proper real ale in UK is meant to be drunk at a temperature not too cold, then you get the flavour. The whole argument in UK with larger drinkers is that Larger is tasteless (fizzy <deleted>), thats because its chilled. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Years ago in Ireland when it was the old fashioned hand pulled pumps, you could have a choice, ‘warm’ or chilled or 50/50. Nowadays the trend is ice cold beer/lager including Guinness which is criminal, I hate ice cold beer/lager, it’s bland. I like craft beer.which is served at room temperature.

Ice cold guinness was invented in Ireland (a commercial decision) to overcome the issue of having to wait for it to settle before completing the filling of a pint. As you pointed out earlier - 15 partly filled glasses ready to top up before opening the bar. Chilling it meant they could complete the task in one pour. Guinness as with all proper real ale in UK is meant to be drunk at a temperature not too cold, then you get the flavour. The whole argument in UK with larger drinkers is that Larger is tasteless (fizzy <deleted>), thats because its chilled.