Price of a Pint of Guinness in Pattaya.

Jumbo1968

On 7/26/2022 at 5:03 PM, daveAustin said:

Not a patch on Guinness, but a shame don't see more of Malaysian Royal Stout in Thailand. 

Also there is an excellent one in Vietnam, the name escapes me, I believe it starts with P------

20 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Currently some of the best beer in Thailand is called Old Speckled Hen. A British real ale  from the midlands

Not any more. It was taken over by Greene King who closed the Abingdon brewery and now brew it at Bury St Edmunds in East Anglia. Same is true for Ruddles.

I have had some Guinness in the Metro Sports Bar in LK Metro, 220 baht a pint, tbh the same as in the U.K., fully air conditioned and over 12. TVs, no girls pestering you. Around 30 farangs in the bar,  the Thai lady knew exactly how to pour it albeit I think she was was frustrated she had to do 75% let it settle then 25% to top it up.

i spoke with owner, very popular seller he sad, it was imported from Dublin unfortunately when the current stock runs it out it takes a month for the next delivery. I am not sure why they didn’t re order before they ran out ?

On 7/26/2022 at 2:43 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

TBH it was fine, I have had better but some times it depends how it is kept and poured, the biggest issue is in this temperature it soon loses its chill.

Sounds like the missus.????

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I have had some Guinness in the Metro Sports Bar in LK Metro, 220 baht a pint, tbh the same as in the U.K., fully air conditioned and over 12. TVs, no girls pestering you. Around 30 farangs in the bar,  the Thai lady knew exactly how to pour it albeit I think she was was frustrated she had to do 75% let it settle then 25% to top it up.

i spoke with owner, very popular seller he sad, it was imported from Dublin unfortunately when the current stock runs it out it takes a month for the next delivery. I am not sure why they didn’t re order before they ran out ?

Because there is no guarantee when it will run out. Once the keg is opened it has a limited shelf life.

14 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Isn't The Bar called Metro apartments- or used to be?

On 7/26/2022 at 4:16 PM, Troy Tempest said:

I worked in Dublin for over a year in 1989/90

The Guinness there is far superior to the rest I have tried around the world.

It is so thick and creamy that it takes about 2 minutes to pull a pint which is usually done there by filling the pint glass up to about 3/4 full then letting it rest for the head to slowly go down for about 90 seconds and then topping it up very slowly.

In the old days the pubs were closed after lunch and didn't open until 5:30 in the evening.

If you went into the pubs at opening time there would already be about 15 pints of Guinness already 3/4 pulled waiting on the bar so that the punters could get served more quickly.

I have just come back from a week in Chiang Mai and found an Irish bar in the Old City that sold Guinness....It was actually very good, but not the same as the stuff we used to get in Dublin.

https://www.omalleys-thai.com/

https://www.omalleys-thai.com/drinks-menu/

drinks-1

That's about 283 baht a pint! I think they might be taking the <deleted>. ????

• Like 1

In the spirit of research, last night I checked out a pint of Guinness in the Post Laser Disc Pub here in Hat Yai. Not a bad pint at all, though at Bht265 it ought to be good.

20220731_212244.thumb.jpg.0bc559d330b559318eaf6187d56ae0e5.jpg

2.thumb.PNG.46e238a6aa6467242dd72bca914f0f57.PNG

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

In the spirit of research, last night I checked out a pint of Guinness in the Post Laser Disc Pub here in Hat Yai. Not a bad pint at all, though at Bht265 it ought to be good.

Fair old selection, could be improved by dumping the Bud!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

20220731_212244.thumb.jpg.0bc559d330b559318eaf6187d56ae0e5.jpg

2.thumb.PNG.46e238a6aa6467242dd72bca914f0f57.PNG

120 Baht for a small LEO!  ????

The eye-candy must have been good........

• Haha 2

Many years ago all Public Houses had cellars. These were necessary to lower the air temperature to about 55 or 56F. Which meant that traditional ales were  served at the right temperature. With the coming of electricity and cooling systems most recently built pubs don't have cellars.

On 7/26/2022 at 12:34 PM, redwood1 said:

I think Lao Dark beer is even better and it cost under 100 baht...

On 7/26/2022 at 12:34 PM, redwood1 said:

I think Lao Dark beer is even better and it cost under 100 baht...

Lao draft lager has always been the best kept secret, so your comment on dark Lao is unsurprising.   Price is right too!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bang saen guy said:

Tried Lao IPA this week. Nice

Beer Lao itself isn't to my taste but that IPA is a nice little drop. not overpowering like I find some of the modern IPAs. hopefully it becomes a regular brew and not just a limited edition.

37 minutes ago, bang saen guy said:

Bud is terrible but no worse than Thai beers

Singha is streets ahead of Buttwiper!

Singha is drinkable, Buttwiper is just unpleasant gnat's wee.

Edited by Stocky

On 8/2/2022 at 11:21 AM, teelac777 said:

Lao draft lager has always been the best kept secret, so your comment on dark Lao is unsurprising.   Price is right too!

I really like to know where to get it. 

• Like 1