Key to happiness

36 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

" ........ brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness."

His quote on a piece of paper sold for $1.3 million...... bought by someone who got rich by pursuing success with constant restlessness?

Now rich can retire and relax in a simple life

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Before my divorce at age 45 I was a retired millionaire in the Uk.

After my divorce I had to move to the 3rd world to make my remaining assets last without working.

I now have both a smaller house, smaller woman, and smaller outgoings, but bigger happiness.

Rich basstard ... ????  

... I was shy of millionaire, and not even GBPs.  Now I'm a multimillionaire (THB), and only need ฿15-30k a month to live quite comfy, instead paying 12k a month (RE Tax), just for the privileges of being in the USA.

Key to happiness ... retire early, with enough or more than needed, for the material side of things.  The rest is a state of mind.

Find out what makes you happy.  Remember sitting in a park one day, still a teen, and thought to myself, can't wait till I can do this everyday.  Chill with a doobie & bev, and just be.   Chickie and munchies (Hoagie) always an added plus.

50 ish year later, and been doing it for past 20ish years, and never gets boring, as long as I change the scenery now & then.  Instead of the hippie VW van ... got e-scooter and on the other side of the world.  

Who would have thought.  Journey was as much fun as the now.  

Best part, the journey hasn't ended.  Always something else to see, or somewhere to be .... or not.  I'm such a LPOS.

Learned if I'm not happy just being with me ... then nothing will make me happy.  OK, I do need my therapist / dog.  Only one that understands me.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

But being in Thailand may make you happy and you might meet some people who can give you work or you might meet some beautiful inspiring Thai girl who can help give your life meaning and direction. 

May need to level up from making beer & sex the key.

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Some time ago I read Albert Einstein's biography written by Walter Isaacson. It's a great book.

One of the fascinating facts is that Einstein lived the first 30 years or so of his life without electricity in his house. As far as I remember he had the first time electricity at home when he moved to Prague in 1911.

And he made most of his groundbreaking discoveries before that time. 

Fascinating! 

There was no electricity in most of Pattaya in the 70s

12 hours ago, Hummin said:

Thats what you know after the experience of success! You need the experience to know the value

I was thinking along "similar"  lines.    I believe that all my restless travels and experiences fulfilled my wander(lust) and enable me now to enjoy a modest and simple old age  retirement.

i definitely will not be one of millions who on their deathbed wish that they had done and experienced more in life.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Some time ago I read Albert Einstein's biography written by Walter Isaacson. It's a great book.

One of the fascinating facts is that Einstein lived the first 30 years or so of his life without electricity in his house. As far as I remember he had the first time electricity at home when he moved to Prague in 1911.

And he made most of his groundbreaking discoveries before that time. 

Fascinating! 

I feel rather the same way about my life and the internet.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

To educate you, laws passed by the government and which apply to every person within the country. Understand now?

Boring ... I think I may have bypassed 1 or 20 along the way.  If I did things legally, I would have never retired early.  Rules & regulations make it almost impossible, let alone expensive to be self employed.

Elite keeping the good people down ... ????

Besides, I can't drive 55 ....

Just now, KhunLA said:

Boring ... I think I may have bypassed 1 or 20 along the way.  If I did things legally, I would have never retired early.  Rules & regulations make it almost impossible, let alone expensive to be self employed.

Elite keeping the good people down ... ????

Besides, I can't drive 55 ....

Depends what you do

52 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

To educate you, laws passed by the government and which apply to every person within the country. Understand now?

Uh-huh...

Some are much too easy. 

10 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

3 divorces , need 9th world country

I was married 3 times too.

One died (a good one), one went to drugs (divorced), the 3rd will take me all the way to the grave. I met her at age 56. I had given up. 

You can change your life. You can be loved.

I hope your trip gives you what you want -tho it would def be helpful if you knew what you wanted. Do you want a series of short term hookups or a permanent relationship (well, as permanent as these things ever are)?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2009 said:

Freedom is the key 

Freedom from your own mind.

I do work, have worked for years, thinking about retirement; however, I keep feeling I was destined to have done more with my life.  I've done enough when compared to most, but not to myself.   Still missing something and god I hope it's not getting married and having kids.  That I don't think I want.   Unfortunately, this passion to find one final passion isn't strong enough to get me to leave LOS and this way too easy lifestyle.   So my mind fights with itself all day, every day.  Do something you lazy ....!!!  I am working!!! No, that's not really working!! But I'm making enough money to not worrying about money!!!  Do something that really matters....!!!!   lol  lol..... 

I guess one day I'll either go back to Falangland or just admit defeat and hang out on the beach forever.....  

Edited by Iamfalang
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Rules made by blokes in suits

Not necessarily.

"Laws" are usually written by Legislative Draftsmen (or the like).

Blokes in suits then generally vote along party lines.

My working life partly encompassed this.

Stunning as to how many "suits" never read the legislation but voted to enact it????

So much could be said about this. For me, it is all about attitude. And proper gratitude. It comes and goes, for me. Positivity is a quality that has to be nurtured and cultivated. It is NOT the natural state of the human mind. This is why so few have that magic. You have to dig deep for it, and it takes effort to maintain the perspective to keep it. It is a gift and a huge blessing. And one people want to be around.

It is a key to success, fulfillment, longevity, and daily contentment. 

It is definitely not about money. Money helps. But, it can also hinder. It is only a tool. 

• Like 2