Four armed robbers force wealthy French man and wife to lie on floor in 2M+ nighttime robbery in NE

webfact

1 hour ago, bluemoon58 said:

Completely agree. 2007 car and 2007 bike and quite happy to say I get looked down on by expats and Thais alike. ????

I don't even have the car, a scooter with no plastic left, with a sidecar attached is my car substitute of choice...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

I don't even have the car, a scooter with no plastic left, with a sidecar attached is my car substitute of choice...

photo please ......        jing jing

• Haha 1

I always keep a machete next to where I sleep plus I have security cameras all over the place my safe is bolted to the wall and I never have more than 5,000 baht in the house or on me in this day and age you can pay for most items including the bar bill using your phone no need for huge amounts of cash as for the watches I hope he had declared them to customs the exterior of his house should be lit up so much so it looks like daylight me thinks it was an inside job 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The media further reported that a friend of the couple staying with them had disappeared.

Very likely an inside job then- if they just got back from France how would the robbers know they were there and had money and watches with them? What likely happened is they carelessly left money and watches out in the open while the "friend" was there, and they told someone.

But regardless- that house does not seem expensive - especially in the middle of nowhere - I doubt anyone who's actually wealthy would stay in the middle of nowhere in a house like that, with no security and no cameras. But then again according to Thai media we're all "rich" so I guess it fits in their world.

Anyway- makes me happy I choose to live in a condo, with security guards and access keys and cameras. And even then I don't leave valuables visible for others to see.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Take up skeet shooting. About once every two weeks launch a few and bang, bang, bang. 

No local is ever coming as they will all know the owner has a shotgun.  That and an electric fence.

Same scenario as living near BIRA racetrack. :whistling:

Foreigners are not allowed any type of gun however his Thai wife is allowed to have guns it wouldn’t surprise me if it was a robbery organised by some envious relatives of his wife never keep all you luxury items in the same place hide them all over the house have a safe with a heavy bag of sand lead them to the safe they’ll grab it and run off and when the eventually open it they will be well pi$$ed off once they see what they got 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Foreigners are not allowed any type of gun however his Thai wife is allowed to have guns it wouldn’t surprise me if it was a robbery organised by some envious relatives of his wife never keep all you luxury items in the same place hide them all over the house have a safe with a heavy bag of sand lead them to the safe they’ll grab it and run off and when the eventually open it they will be well pi$$ed off once they see what they got 

I keep my values in a hidden fire safe one, and my diving weights in another safe, and not bigger than to be carried away. 

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

All four armed? That surprised me. Then I remembered the case where that Swiss guy managed to overpower a night time intruder and the intruder ended up dead. Sounds like these guys weren't taking any chances.

There was more to that story than him simply being an intruder .

There were reports that the deceased had received quite a lot of money and a lady in the house had hold of the money and wouldn't return it and he was previously romantically involved with her and he went to the house for some other reason than burglary .

I have quite a vague memory of events , so I may be a bit mistaken 

I’m a humble guy got a few bob a villa on the beach and the cactus in the gardens are over a metre in height and would rip your legs apart I put them there to stop lovers jumping into my pool for a bit of sexual enjoyment at 3 am in the morning I can tell you it worked . What I do have is property insurance which covers fire theft liability and flooding be it from the sea or the rain it amazes me how many foreigners don’t bother with insurance for 16,000 baht per year your covered for 10 million baht and that includes the premium I pay to insure against flooding from the sea if you live inland it would be a lot cheaper  

Ping Round!  Things are very rare to have a follow up here.

I`ve been thinking of that guy many times, but it is

buried. You will for 99 % never hear anything about it again.

And as for the safe: I keep about 3.000 baht in it. They force me to

open it up, that is what they`ll get, that`s all I have. I can live with that.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Whatever happened with that guy? Did he walk or get some sort of sentence? Anyone know?

Someone came on a thread asking the same question maybe 5-6 months ago and said he had had a fondu dinner with him, suggesting the Swiss guy was never charged, but there's a chance this was a troll post or the poster was joking. Never heard anything further in the news.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I always keep a machete next to where I sleep plus I have security cameras all over the place my safe is bolted to the wall and I never have more than 5,000 baht in the house or on me in this day and age you can pay for most items including the bar bill using your phone no need for huge amounts of cash as for the watches I hope he had declared them to customs the exterior of his house should be lit up so much so it looks like daylight me thinks it was an inside job 

Owning a safe gives people the impression that the safe contains valuable items.  In our house all of the material things that we value are things like books and photos, so we have no need for a safe.  Our "luxury" items are things like hot water heaters, a washing machine, a refrigerator, and cutlery and glassware that match.  Our family has zero interest in ostentatious displays of wealth.  We live a simple life and, as a result, don't worry about being robbed.  However, since security cameras are not expensive, we do have them.  We also have very good neighbors who watch out for us just as we do for them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Sounds like a good way to get yourself killed.

By the time they had got the safe open I’d be well away from the property down at the local police station showing the video recording from my smart phone . My home is my castle outside lights that light up the sky visible night video cameras It’s like a fortress and the gardens are full of huge cactus plants that would rip the skin off you 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

Owning a safe gives people the impression that the safe contains valuable items.  In our house all of the material things that we value are things like books and photos, so we have no need for a safe.  Our "luxury" items are things like hot water heaters, a washing machine, a refrigerator, and cutlery and glassware that match.  Our family has zero interest in ostentatious displays of wealth.  We live a simple life and, as a result, don't worry about being robbed.  However, since security cameras are not expensive, we do have them.  We also have very good neighbors who watch out for us just as we do for them.

Where do you keep your gold or your family gold? 

10 minutes ago, keystonecoppers2 said:

Crazykopite!   What a wonderful idea, with multiple cactus trees.

I will look into that. Although I`m living in a quiet area,

you`ll never know.    Thanks!   

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1