Truss surges ahead, wins key backers in U.K. leadership race for prime minister

onthedarkside

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The debt does need to be paid back , Each household in the U.K currently pays about 2000 GBP per year in taxes just in interest rates on the money the U.K Gov has borrowed , the more money the UK burrows and owes, the more taxes will have to rise .

The UK public sector debt does not need to be repaid, what needs to be repaid is the interest on the debt.

Debt - whether public sector or private sector - is not bad per sec. What is important is what the debt is used for. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well yeah . apart from Belgium, Iceland, Holland , Spain , Cyprus, Hungary , Serbia, Croatia and Greece , the UK has the highest inflation rate .

The E,U has an inflation rate of 9.6 %

The U.K has an inflation rate of 9.4 %

Serbia is not in the EU.

• Like 2

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Which is completely irrelevant to the point that I was making 

Just following your example and correcting a factual mistake.

Besides, it is relevant if you are including Serbia's inflation rate in your calculation of the EU is inflation rate.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RayC said:

Just following your example and correcting a factual mistake.

Besides, it is relevant if you are including Serbia's inflation rate in your calculation of the EU is inflation rate.

I was just giving a list of European Countries have have an higher inflation rate than the U.K's.

My point was that the U.K's inflation rate isn't the worst in Europe , whether Serbia is part of the E.U or not is irrelevant , but if its really important to you, just swap Serbia for Slovakia .

Remove Serbia from my list and replace it with Slovakia (Not that it makes any difference at all to my point)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

As I pointed out, I was comparing nations with a similar level of economic development. Obviously that's the most valid comparison. And The Netherlands has a lower inflation rate than does the UK. As for Iceland and the UK, the last figures we have for both countries is from June 2022. Iceland's is lower. Apparently, you want to persist in using July figures for other countries and compare them to the UK's June figures.

Am I missing something  ?

Netherlands has an inflation rate of 10.3 % , which is higher than the U.Ks 9.4 % inflation 

"The Netherlands' annual inflation rate jumped to 10.3 percent in July 2022 from 8.6 percent a month earlier"

https://tradingeconomics.com/netherlands/inflation-cpi#:~:text=Near 47 Years-,The Netherlands' annual inflation rate jumped to 10.3 percent in,8.6 percent a month earlier.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Am I missing something  ?

Netherlands has an inflation rate of 10.3 % , which is higher than the U.Ks 9.4 % inflation 

"The Netherlands' annual inflation rate jumped to 10.3 percent in July 2022 from 8.6 percent a month earlier"

https://tradingeconomics.com/netherlands/inflation-cpi#:~:text=Near 47 Years-,The Netherlands' annual inflation rate jumped to 10.3 percent in,8.6 percent a month earlier.

Yes you still are missing something. What is the UK's inflation rate for July 2022?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Who is winning the PM race....?  ????

Sunak will open 75 new Schools if he becomes PM

"Mr Sunak also pledged to improve professional development for teachers, progress plans announced by the government in June to open 75 new free schools"

https://news.sky.com/story/sunak-vows-to-crack-down-on-university-degrees-that-do-not-improve-earning-potential-12667369

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Sunak will open 75 new Schools if he becomes PM

"Mr Sunak also pledged to improve professional development for teachers, progress plans announced by the government in June to open 75 new free schools"

https://news.sky.com/story/sunak-vows-to-crack-down-on-university-degrees-that-do-not-improve-earning-potential-12667369

His team have been working overtime, it seems....????

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The Opposition.

You wish.......................????

Starmer can't get rid of Rayner, Corby & Abbott are still up there in the 1'9's, boyfriend of no. 2 is sacked, unions are stamping their feet at their Party................So funny......????

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I see the off topic trolling has started again.

I’ll leave you all to to put with it, I’ll be back tomorrow with the next installment of Dizzy from Lizzy.

I have told him numerous times that this thread isn't about the E.Us interest rates or comparing the E.U to the U.Ks interest rate .

Have a pleasant day and we'll see you tomorrow for your usual quick hello and goodbye 

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

But that's different from "changing a name to something derogatory." I'm almost tempted to report it just to see what the mods decide. Almost.

Lads, lads ... stop bickering. I have a solution:

Chomper, Go and stand on the 'Naughty Boy' step and, on the way, promise not to call Lizzy names in the future.

1 minute ago, RayC said:

Lads, lads ... stop bickering. I have a solution:

Chomper, Go and stand on the 'Naughty Boy' step and, on the way, promise not to call Lizzy names in the future.

Just don't rhyme Lizzy with dizzy?

I'm guessing "busy" would be OK.

What about "fizzy"?

Or "tizzy"?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1