Truss surges ahead, wins key backers in U.K. leadership race for prime minister

onthedarkside

1 minute ago, Excel said:

But my point was, why would that loophole need to be exploited by a foreign organisation when they could influence the outcome quite legally by being a conservative party member overseas. No need to be on the UK electoral register or resident in the UK . Seems that is a massive loophole.

Well, how do we know that loophole hasn't been exploited? That said, if the balloting is done on paper, then you would need lots and lots of separate addresses to send them to. That could be logistically difficult to pull off for a foreign organization. 

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Well, how do we know that loophole hasn't been exploited? That said, if the balloting is done on paper, then you would need lots and lots of separate addresses to send them to. That could be logistically difficult to pull off for a foreign organization. 

Its done on-line mainly now hence the security issue recently raised. How do we know it has not been exploited already you ask ? A good question which is why I posted what I did.

Just now, placeholder said:

Given that we know that the Russian intervened to promote Brexit, it doesn't seem all that far-fetched that they might try to intervene this way in British politics..

Exactly and all legal and above board so wonder whether they would prefer Sunak or Truss ? Perhaps a question for a new thread perhaps ?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Excel said:

But my point was, why would that loophole need to be exploited by a foreign organisation when they could influence the outcome quite legally by being a conservative party member overseas. No need to be on the UK electoral register or resident in the UK . Seems that is a massive loophole.

Apart from you, I haven't seen anyone else mention concerns about the loop hole being exploited by any foreign influence .

Also, I doubt whether any foreigners  are that bother by who becomes leader on the Tories , bothered enough to sign up and vote . 

Its just an extra security measure put in place , no big deal

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Apart from you, I haven't seen anyone else mention concerns about the loop hole being exploited by any foreign influence .

Also, I doubt whether any foreigners  are that bother by who becomes leader on the Tories , bothered enough to sign up and vote . 

The National Cyber Security Centre recommended the changes due to concerns about the security of online voting. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/02/ballot-papers-for-tory-leadership-vote-delayed-after-security-concerns?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well no one had heard of this until the BBC report today so don't for one moment think you are so special you have to hear of everything first for it to be correct. 

Banned Russian oligarchs exploited UK secrecy loophole - BBC News

It's quite often the blatantly obvious which is overlooked. Anyway a new thread is required for that so I shall not comment anymore now that I have highlighted this loophole

Edited by Excel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Excel said:

Well no one had heard of this until the BBC report today so don't for one moment think you are so special you have to hear of everything first for it to be correct. 

Banned Russian oligarchs exploited UK secrecy loophole - BBC News

It's quite often the blatantly obvious which is overlooked. Anyway a new thread is required for that so I shall not comment anymore now that I have highlighted this loophole

Yes, that is in regards to money laundering and setting up businesses in the U.K anonymously .

There is no connection between  that and Russians joining the Conservative party .

If you have any evidence of Russians joining the Conservative party in order to influence the vote , please contact Mi5 an give them all the info

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Given that we know that the Russian intervened to promote Brexit, it doesn't seem all that far-fetched that they might try to intervene this way in British politics..

I can just see it now, remainers want Brexit cancelled because the Russians fixed the vote, a million votes were from blokes called Vlad........????

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Excel said:

Yes it appears based on the Sky program when questioned on that specific subject she is quite clueless. To respond to a question regarding the BOEs prediction that "it might not happen" is astonishingly naive.  

On the "Sky program"................????

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

you should read the news, it may help and your posts would look that bad or are you just deflating

What is a recession?

A recession is defined as two successive quarters of decline in GDP.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/what-is-a-recession-and-will-the-uk-face-one-in-2022/ar-AAXbyn0

Bank of England hikes interest rates and warns UK to enter recession with inflation to pass 13% – business live

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/bank-of-england-hikes-interest-rates-and-warns-uk-to-enter-recession-and-inflation-to-pass-13-25-e2-80-93-business-live/ar-AA10hOLR?fromMaestro=true

Fuel price is fuelling inflation, everywhere....???? 

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Yet another poor performance by truss in last nights debate, she couldn’t explain when challenged on her now withdrawn public pay cut policy would save £8.8 billion if it didn’t include nurses teachers and the police.

Her poor grasp and recall of facts or details on her own policy pledges was embarrassingly clear when she replied 

“Asked by presenter Kay Burley how she reached the £8.8bn figure as part of her plan if the policy was "misinterpreted", the foreign secretary admitted: "I don't have the details."

She also made another u turn during questioning when she admitted back tracking on her previously announced green belt house building policy. 

sunak clearly won the debate. 

The opposition must be worried the tory base have not yet all voted. 

#gotruss- the candidate most likely to blow it in the home straight.

Who is in the lead, not looked today, Liz or Rishi....?

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, transam said:

Who is in the lead, not looked today, Liz or Rishi....?

Thankfully truss, but many more terrible performances like last nights and it could get closer. 

#votetrussnow- before it all goes wrong

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Ah, yes, Liz is looking quite comfortable at the mo............????

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/08/05/odds-tracker-conservative-leadership-2022/

Yes I know, I just said so…????

The problem is truss may have to face another interview, take part in a debate or perform another u turn. The more she speaks the less credible she becomes. 

#votetrussnow- the opposition’s candidate. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Yes I know, I just said so…????

The problem is truss may have to face another interview, take part in a debate or perform another u turn. The more she speaks the less credible she becomes. 

#votetrussnow- the opposition’s candidate. 

Perhaps not in the eyes who are backing her, I mean, those who are backing her know about her past and present jobs and how she faired, which has nothing to do with a television side show that The Sun readers and Coronation Street watchers love....????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Perhaps not in the eyes who are backing her, I mean, those who are backing her know about her past and present jobs and how she faired, which has nothing to do with a television side show that The Sun readers and Coronation Street watchers love....????

I’m sorry but you think a terrible live debating performance in front of tory party members who will vote for the leader of the party, a debate the audience agreed (by a show of hands) sunak won, doesn’t matter?

LOL

“The Battle for Number 10, will see the candidates take part in back-to-back questioning from the live studio audience of Conservative party members, followed by an in-depth interview with Kay Burley.“

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/tory-leadership-debate-be-part-of-the-audience-12658835

#votetrussnow- before it’s too late. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I’m sorry but you think a terrible live debating performance in front of tory party members who will vote for the leader of the party, a debate the audience agreed (by a show of hands) sunak won, doesn’t matter?

LOL

“The Battle for Number 10, will see the candidates take part in back-to-back questioning from the live studio audience of Conservative party members, followed by an in-depth interview with Kay Burley.“

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/tory-leadership-debate-be-part-of-the-audience-12658835

#votetrussnow- before it’s too late. 

Those with more info and involvement in politics may look at things a weee bit different to game show viewer types....????

I also note that The Chancellor before fishy backs Liz, which sort of goes against the stuff folk are posting here about money....

Edited by transam

12 minutes ago, transam said:

Those with more info and involvement in politics may look at things a weee bit different to game show viewer types....????

I also note that The Chancellor before fishy backs Liz, which sort of goes against the stuff folk are posting here about money....

You do understand all of the audience will be amongst those voting for the next leader-they are party members…LOL. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

Just now, Bluespunk said:

You do understand the audience will be the ones voting in the next leader…LOL. 

Yes.....Liz is in the lead and will continue to be in the lead over Rishi.......

Folk outside of politics are the ones running her down, same with Boris and his haircut, more interested in that than his ideas...????