Recreational use of pot to be recriminalised as Minister warns abuses are undermining his plan

webfact

Ok, they are undecided as usual, going back and forth. Nothing new, though! However, I hail the proposal of recriminalization, as the Thai population is not ready for a thing like this. 

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The issues is not back peddling as they did not include any restriction in the decriminalizing of cannabis.  Any body and his brother could be smoking it legally now recreationally, and out in public as I saw this past Saturday night on Khao San Rd.  Must have been 20+ vendors selling it openly and I watched as a father with his 2 children in tow buying a jar full.  Even observed two young girls buying a few joints, I estimated they were 16 years of age.  They then went to one of the bars sat down, ordered some sodas and sparked up.....life is good for many but will become not so good when true regulations are put in place.  Anutin royally messed up with how he authorized the rollout without thinking about anything other than his pocket book.

Totally true, but there is still to much people with poor education, or the will to look though or whatever. So, I keep my opinion on that they have enough problems to deal with, so they definitely do not need another.

• Haha 1

The police is so desperate as they do control all late-night alcohol related venues. They are begging for this as they then will not prevent us smoking it for health concerns, no, they will start to milk it out with brown enveloppes and bribes to us instead.

Not seeing this happen anytime soon, at best the police can extort businesses selling joints for a fee.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, they are undecided as usual, going back and forth. Nothing new, though! However, I hail the proposal of recriminalization, as the Thai population is not ready for a thing like this. 

There is no they, not sure why people even start bashing the 'government'. This is just a silly opinion of a police boss and his wish only. -- Learn to read.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Last week I wrote: "I think people who are arguing "the cat's out of the bag" and that the open sale and usage of cannabis for recreational purposes is here to stay are kidding themselves. A major walk back is in the works." https://aseannow.com/topic/1267118-the-cannabis-debate-continues-but-can-thailand-control-it/?do=findComment&comment=175050682.

In hindsight it now appears that last week's Aseannow article with the headline "Anutin: No U-turn on marijuana" gave a misleading account of the government's actual position on recreational cannabis use.   https://aseannow.com/topic/1267138-anutin-no-u-turn-on-marijuana-minister-pressing-ahead-with-use-of-drug-in-two-trillion-baht-wellness-tourism/page/2/

Refraining from intoxicants which cloud the mind is one of the five Buddhist Precepts for leading a moral life. It is thus inconceivable that Thailand's Buddhist clergy isn't as equally opposed to the recreational use of cannabis as the leadership of the Islamic Committee. I suspect the only reason why Thailand's Buddhist senior leadership has not already voiced similar opposition is out of a reluctance to wade into political controversy. It only serves to foment religious bigotry to focus on the Islamic Committee's voiced opposition when everyone knows full well that recreational cannabis use is equally interdicted by Buddhist teachings.

Or maybe they don't want to remind people of all the monks caught with drugs lastel.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Haha, 'undermining his plan', what plan?  No law was in place when the decriminalizing happened, in fact, the rules and laws on its use and control are still not in place.  That's not a plan, its a cluster <deleted> of their own making. 

What are you even talking about, to decriminalise something, it comes with a law, which is what happened. You are talking about the lack of regulations or tweaked laws for commercial use, which are being worked on in the background already.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

What are you even talking about, to decriminalise something, it comes with a law, which is what happened. You are talking about the lack of regulations or tweaked laws for commercial use, which are being worked on in the background already.

sorry Mr Pedant that you couldn't figure that out from my post. Calm down is my advice, or smoke something legal. . 

1 minute ago, Doctor Tom said:

sorry Mr Pedant that you couldn't figure that out from my post. Calm down is my advice, or smoke something legal. . 

If it was so obvious, then just write it as it is too. You mocking Thais but you are as unclear as they are too.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

On Wednesday, Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul, the architect of the drive to decriminalise the drug, told reporters unequivocally that recreational use of cannabis was still illegal as his ministry attempted to get police to enforce a 1999 law while the minister himself promised that legislation before parliament would again make cannabis as a recreational drug strictly illegal and open the way to effective police enforcement.

37 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

There is no they, not sure why people even start bashing the 'government'. This is just a silly opinion of a police boss and his wish only. -- Learn to read.

Guess you missed this when you read the article yourself......read the last sentence slowly

• Haha 1