Recreational use of pot to be recriminalised as Minister warns abuses are undermining his plan

webfact

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Doomed as in won't be popular at the ballot box.

You may not like it, but public reaction to the decriminalisation of cannabis has been overwhelmingly positive.

Nevevr said I did not like it.  I thought that they rolled it out with many rules and regulations in place that would have made it a smooth advent, but then TIT.  Far from anti cannabis, or edibles, or CBD oil.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Smoking rooms and cafes springing up everywhere. Any government that attempts prohibition to stop this cash cow is doomed.

image.png.6d49b5c8dae1b5cba2e5270beee7d036.png

Anutin is scrambling for his political life. Collateral damage in the recreational cannabis industry is the least of his worries.

• Like 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Nevevr said I did not like it.  I thought that they rolled it out with many rules and regulations in place that would have made it a smooth advent, but then TIT.  Far from anti cannabis, or edibles, or CBD oil.

What did you expect? As you allude wouldn't be Thailand without the ensuing confusion and backpeddling. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You may not like it, but public reaction to the decriminalisation of cannabis has been overwhelmingly positive.

For medical use yes the majority agreed with legislation however 83.5 per cent said recreational use is wrong

7 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

What did you expect? As you allude wouldn't be Thailand without the ensuing confusion and backpeddling. 

What I expected was a concerted effort to stick to what they rolled out while adding some amendments and allowing the recreational use for those over 20 but not out in the open public, like on Khao San Road.  However, it is Thailand.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Did you even read the Thai Examiner article????

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2022/07/30/recreational-pot-cannabis-use-to-be-recriminalised/

Quote:

Bhumjaithai Party has not seen much political gain from marijuana or cannabis legalisation and may lose further as public opposition and fears grow

The extended decriminalisation of marijuana, which came into effect on June 9th, saw a small bump in support for the Bhumjaithai Party in National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA) opinion polls conducted in March 2022 to June 2022 which saw the party rise from under 2% support in three months to 2.65% in the latest poll.

It is all a far cry from the 10.33% that the party garnered in the 2019 General Election with 5 million votes and comes as the party is hoping to gain seats in the South, formerly a stronghold of the Democrat Party.

However, it is becoming increasingly clear that the move may be backfiring.

Quote:

72% of the Thai public express concern about the unrestricted use of cannabis for recreational purposes and other concerns as a new law is waited upon

In the last opinion poll in late June, 72% of Thai people expressed concerns about the harmful impact of cannabis use and developments since the drug was legalised despite majority support for the commercial development of the drug and its use for medicinal purposes.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

There is no they, not sure why people even start bashing the 'government'. This is just a silly opinion of a police boss and his wish only. -- Learn to read.

You failed to grasp the important part of my post, and just focused on they or one person. I said I hail the proposal, or the idea if you want, to outlaw it again, as the population here is not ready.

Just now, ericthai said:

I got your point, I'm saying even if it's illegal teens can still get easily. 

Not easily, more subterfuge and back channels needed instead of like I said by walking up to a table and buying it without any checking.  

22 minutes ago, ericthai said:

And you're missing my point. You could always easily get it in Kho San rd. when it was illegal.

Not as easy as you can get it now with all the new unlicensed stalls and shops.................get it?

You think they care about age when selling illegally?  Then you have access with facebook, tik tok etc. 

No I don't why? However if they were licensed they would care a lot more about who they sell to, to avoid getting fined or the license revoked.. Yes another unlicensed avenue facebook and tik tok  since 9th June. Illegally selling to teens.

I agree there should be restrictions such as age, license to sell etc. but thinking that is going to stop teens your kidding yourself. 

Good we agree on that then.

I never said it was going to stop teens? It will make it harder as it should. Thats what laws are all about.

Edited by Bkk Brian

36 minutes ago, ericthai said:

And you're missing my point. You could always easily get it in Kho San rd. when it was illegal.

You think they care about age when selling illegally?  Then you have access with facebook, tik tok etc. 

I agree there should be restrictions such as age, license to sell etc. but thinking that is going to stop teens your kidding yourself. 

Can’t see any point there to be honest. you agree there should be laws and regulations in place so there we have it. Why do you think they should be in place? deterrent possibly? That’s what laws are right, they help deter illegal activity. Stopping illegal sales by unlicensed shops, Facebook sellers and online retailers. Great we all agree.

Back in the early 70s, as latter day hippies, cannabis was de-rigueur in our student lives.

Games of chess could take days, endless moves seemed feasible and had to be 'thought' through 

Watching an insect on the wall was fascinating, its shape, movement, background was all a matter of interest.  

Sensory perceptions were intensified, heightened which was fine when with friends but could be scary or ludicrous when with strangers. 

I remember walking through the streets of Clifton, the rich area of Bristol, and being struck by the layers of make-up, dyed coiffured hair of the elderly ladies shopping. They looked like clowns. It was impossible not to burst out laughing 

A good drug in the right circumstances but I worry about its effects on Thai youth, especially the males.

Many are lazy, spoilt by their mothers, open distribution of cannabis will only exacerbate this,  spending their days in hammocks will become the norm.

Legalise cannabis for the over 65s only!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

Ok, what percentage of the Thai population has been smoking dope for centuries?

You are the one making the argument, you tell us what facts you are basing that on.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, shdmn said:

You are the one making the argument, you tell us what facts you are basing that on.

You said Thais had been smoking dope for centuries? How about starting there and substantiating it with a link? Obviously need to take this one step at a time with you.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

How are you gauging that? I have not seen any poll of the Thai population.... and I would suspect one would really attract only those who support decriminalization and hence be a slanted poll. I suspect the young favour it, the older do not.... no impact on me, until I either need the stuff for a medical reason, or get hit by some stoned up fool driving. 

8 hours ago, coolcarer said:

You said Thais had been smoking dope for centuries? How about starting there and substantiating it with a link? Obviously need to take this one step at a time with you.

It is not a Thai reference but in Robinson Crusoe written in 1719 he describes how he was suffering from depression and he remembered he had sone tobbaco from the shipwreck. It was green and  fully cured and he smoked some of it and went through a revelation about his life on the island. My brother talks of in the early 70's being led off by 12 to 13 yo's to smoke bongs while waiting for the ferry to Koh Samui. They had not seen many farung before. Thai buddha sticks were the most common form in the West for a long time.

• Like 1