Questions: Can you book a time for drivers license renewal and what is required.

When I went for my initial 2 year license I was put on a waiting list that due to covid was more than 2 months out.  Can you book a time online to go from a 2 year to 5 year license or do you just show up.  I know I need a residence certificate, copies of my passport and visa and copies of my expiring license.  Do I also need a new "health certificate" Some say yes others no.  

Is there anything else, I would need? 

Mine expired last year during Covid so I’m gathering now I have to get a new one as it was just over a year ago. Had that thing for 20 years and probably going to start again with the 2 year. I heard they stopped doing appointments but hopefully someone here knows. 

1 hour ago, jcmj said:

Mine expired last year during Covid so I’m gathering now I have to get a new one as it was just over a year ago. Had that thing for 20 years and probably going to start again with the 2 year. I heard they stopped doing appointments but hopefully someone here knows. 

All depends where .. When I renewed mine, I watched the online video, took all the papers needed down the DLT (the certificate residence thing works a bit different up here) and they gave me a letter requesting a certificate of residence from immigration, gave me an appointment the following week along with a list of documents inc. the health certificate and the copies that I needed to make that they never took.

During the covid time I tried to renew mine 3-4 times, and found the office closed or ridiculous numbers of people trying to do the same thing - when we called they said they would make allowances. Your license has expired, you might be able to explain it away or they might make you take a new test. 

Edited by recom273
  • Like 2

I did mine on Tuesday.

Did the onlinne video annd booked an appointment slot, the appointment is a waste of time, it speeds up nothing, the onnly benifit of doing the online video means you don't need to waste 2 hours sitting in class.

I took:

Old license ( already exprired )

Original passport

Copies of Visa / data page  / entry stamp

Certificate of Res from immigration

Health cert

Was there for about 1.5 hours, i was number 19, process was:

Wait in line until # called

Man checks paperwork and stamps

Wait in line for brake test / depth perception and colour test

Pay and then wait for photo

Wait for license

Cost 505 baht for 5 year car ( it's actually good till May 2028 )

It's onne of the easier things to do here although i think if you're living at the same address as onn expired license that should do insntead of nnw Cert of Res, health test a complete joke.

This was Phetchabun.

Edited by PJ71

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

Cert of Res, health test a complete joke.

The certificate of residence is like the 90 day report.  Really nothing but "make work"  keeps the people at the immigration office having something to do to justify their jobs.  Now for the health check, I do think it is important to verify that the driver of a car is healthy enough to pass the mirror test.  That is they put a mirror in front of your mouth and you blow on it.  If it fogs you are healthy enough in Thailand to drive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My experience in Pattaya is that I went to Land Transport with licenses which expired over one year ago due to being absent as a result of covid.  They allow renewals within one year to be normal while those over one year have a list of requirements which are to do video training on site only, take written exam and the other usual checks.  Actual driving test is waived and the list of items to bring are as others stated above including residency certificate and medical certificate.  They booked an appointment for me about 10 days out and said to be sure to bring all the required documents or you would be turned away.  Their procedure is strict and doubt there will be exceptions unless you go through agents who may have arrangements.  

54 minutes ago, Qman said:

My experience in Pattaya is that I went to Land Transport with licenses which expired over one year ago due to being absent as a result of covid.  They allow renewals within one year to be normal while those over one year have a list of requirements which are to do video training on site only, take written exam and the other usual checks.  Actual driving test is waived and the list of items to bring are as others stated above including residency certificate and medical certificate.  They booked an appointment for me about 10 days out and said to be sure to bring all the required documents or you would be turned away.  Their procedure is strict and doubt there will be exceptions unless you go through agents who may have arrangements.  

Yep. Take out all the BS.

Agent time.

13 hours ago, Qman said:

My agent was strict on the testing requirements, ie couldn't pull any strings. 

Fortunately for me, my IDP was still active the first time, and when renewal time came, my license only expired a couple weeks prior, so never had to watch the video nor take the written test. 

7 minutes ago, frantick said:

My agent was strict on the testing requirements, ie couldn't pull any strings. 

Fortunately for me, my IDP was still active the first time, and when renewal time came, my license only expired a couple weeks prior, so never had to watch the video nor take the written test. 

Watching the video was great. Comments and chortles from those who understood English!

Like you, I originally had IDP so no written test.

That was some 8+ years ago though.????????

24 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Why is it a waste of time? In Bangkok its the only way to get in the queue according to the DL web site? I have joined the 5 month waiting list.

An appointment would suggest you turn up at the time and then get attended too, to avoid Q's.

This does not happen.

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

An appointment would suggest you turn up at the time and then get attended too, to avoid Q's.

This does not happen.

So from your experience can you turn up on any day or must you wait to the appointed day even though the wait time on the day is long and wasteful?

1 minute ago, WorriedNoodle said:

So from your experience can you turn up on any day or must you wait to the appointed day even though the wait time on the day is long and wasteful?

As i said before, the only thing doing the online course does is eliminnates the need to watch the video in classroom.

I ( wrongly ) thought the appoinment would mean you turned up at your time and avoided Q's, this does not happen.

I turned up at my alloted time 0830-0900 and only got nunmber 19. Many of the 1-18 people in front of me had no appointment.

3 hours ago, PJ71 said:

I turned up at my alloted time 0830-0900 and only got nunmber 19. Many of the 1-18 people in front of me had no appointment.

OK, still none the wiser. I have an allotted time in months to come, but doubtful I will be free on that date now? Thinking of just doing a walk in. Already done the online test.

1 hour ago, WorriedNoodle said:

OK, still none the wiser. I have an allotted time in months to come, but doubtful I will be free on that date now? Thinking of just doing a walk in. Already done the online test.

If you've already done the online video ( and saved a screenshot of the completion ) then just do a walk in, non point waiting for appointment.

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2022 at 8:57 PM, Lucky Bones said:

Yep. Take out all the BS.

I did not do an extensive search of agents but one agent quoted me 3,500 baht.  Now this is a extension from a 2 year to a 5 year.  I do all the chasing for the certificate of residence, and health certificate.  The only thing saved is driving to the license bureau and I am not totally sure of that since they would need my picture to put on the license. 

1 hour ago, Longwood50 said:

I did not do an extensive search of agents but one agent quoted me 3,500 baht.  Now this is a extension from a 2 year to a 5 year.  I do all the chasing for the certificate of residence, and health certificate.  The only thing saved is driving to the license bureau and I am not totally sure of that since they would need my picture to put on the license. 

My agent 5,000.His assistant did the work. Included CoR, took me to a 200 baht clinic where the doctor asked "How old?" Hmmph he said you look fit and signed off.

Drove me from East Patts to the MoT (I only have bike), walked me to the front of the queue downstairs & again upstairs -  drove me home. 3 hours in all.

Yes, you must attend for video, color, reaction tests & photo.

1,000 baht/year I reckon was good value.

Cheers.????????

In Pattaya I went with all the paperwork to renew my license which expired over a year ago.  You get a number and talk with their representative outside in a tented area.  They looked and said I needed one other thing and then gave me an appointment to watch videos and take test.  Note this is for expired over one year.  Not sure if I had been just doing a normal renewal if they would have given me a number for that day rather than an appointment.  All seems "organized" and I hope it makes the process easier on the day of the appointment.  Thai citizens can book online but as I understand it expats need to go and get an appointment.  Not sure how all the foreign language applicants will be handled and I will report back after my appointment as to how the process worked.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 10:17 AM, WorriedNoodle said:

Why is it a waste of time? In Bangkok its the only way to get in the queue according to the DL web site? I have joined the 5 month waiting list.

Try Morchit/Chatuchak. It took an in person visit (foreigners cannot make online appoints here) with Passport and Residence certificate to make an appointment. They gave me a date in 3 weeks to renew.