Thai entertainment workers complain over alleged illegal foreign workers in Phuket

webfact

Another day, another ****. Kinda like that celebrity lawyer that got the Bay Hill parties closed (for a week) - really accomplished nothing except being a party pooper. I doubt this guy will ever work in Phuket again - who would hire him after this?

As far as the complaint itself - it's not very valid - in most venues "simple" jobs like waitresses and receptions are almost exclusively filled by Thais, I can't think of a venue where it's not. It's the more skilled jobs like DJs and managers in foreigner oriented clubs that are being filled by foreigners and that's simply business - a foreign manager understands the needs of tourists better and able to communicate with them better than a Thai would in most cases. DJs there are both foreigners and Thais - there aren't many DJs so variety is good. I doubt any Thai DJ is sitting there whining about foreigners taking their job, lol.

I do agree venues should be more proactive in securing valid work visas for their managers - there's definitely room for improvement there - it's not that the foreigners don't want to secure legal status - it's that venues are very slow at actually getting the proper visa. (I have many friends in the industry and most of them waited a very long time before finally getting one)

22 hours ago, webfact said:

“There are many foreigners who are using tourist visas and working at entertainment venues in Phuket as DJs, singers, musicians, dancers, receptionists, waiters, waitresses, bartenders, and bar managers.

Minimal wages trumps legality every time.

On 8/6/2022 at 1:03 PM, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Alleged? I was in Patong last Dec and was shocked to see that almost every restaurant was staffed with Nepalese. Not many Thai staff to be found.

If you're an employer try finding any Thai service workers that can speak English ????

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is an owner of a hair salon.  Over the last 6 years what I have seen with thai staff ( 6 in all) 

First they come in saying that they have all the training and qualifications to work in a salon. We ask to see there certifications , but for some reason or another they can't provide it. Than say they want 40% of all the work they do. After starting to only find out they fall short of being able to perform all the work. They can't cut hair, do color and so forth. 

All of them could  not be trusted.  If we left the staff alone at the shop and they had customers the money would go into their pockets. One went as far as telling the customers that it was her shop and the certificates of training hanging on the wall were hers. 

The first month the thai staff come on time and works until close. After that they start coming in later and leaving earlier. Cheating and telling lies comes so easy for them. 

It is so much easier to work without thai staff than with. 

• Like 1