Growatt SPF5000ES Offgrid 9kw DIY Solar Project

1 hour ago, Pink7 said:

I have plan to use a  Dual Power Transfer Switch between my grid line to inverter and direct to house breakers so if any issues with inverter I can easy change grid to go off or direct to house breakers. One think have bother my main: If grid is switch to house breakers and if not ac out on inverter is disconnected first from house breakers then will the inverter be back feed with grid power? I guess that's not wanted. I do have plan for breaker on ac out to.. 

Pink

You position that switch to take its inputs from Grid or Inverter, output to House.

Do note that although these simple switches are interlocked you should turn one breaker off before turning the other on. I've noticed that there can be a blip when both Grid and Inverter are connected if you rely on the interlock to switch off the other input. This is VERY likely to send your inverter to inverter heaven. 

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You position that switch to take its inputs from Grid or Inverter, output to House.

Do note that although these simple switches are interlocked you should turn one breaker off before turning the other on. I've noticed that there can be a blip when both Grid and Inverter are connected if you rely on the interlock to switch off the other input. This is VERY likely to send your inverter to inverter heaven. 

Good point, check my update on the knife type switch

Pink

12 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

What is the other options? Do you use any switch between grid and inverter vs breakers?

Right now no, we have a grid-tie hybrid so there's no need for any transfer switch. 

I am in the process of building a 3-way automatic transfer switch to use with the Emergency Power output of the inverter and our auto-start genset but I'm using interlocked contactors (both mechanical and electrical interlocking. I don't like to take risks with my $$$ investment).

Units like this (use it in manual mode) also provide guaranteed isolation during the change over. https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ats-automatic-dual-power-transfer-switch-2p-63a-i557682430-s1023824660.html

1 hour ago, Pink7 said:

Here is a simple drawing of my plan for the one side of my roof. If any better idea for how to connect the 7+7 panels feel free to suggest

Pink

plan panels2.jpg

So two 7 panel series groups which are then placed in parallel for a 7S2P arrangement.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

Crossy.  I asked a seller about the Special line and give link to  Evereast, but i see also another link in your post to http://www.1express.net/index.html#

Both correct for this special line service?

Pink

I believe there are a number of shippers who do it, I've only ever asked just for "Thailand Special Line" some have never heard of it and are not interested, others are no problem.

On 8/20/2022 at 5:30 PM, Crossy said:

Right now no, we have a grid-tie hybrid so there's no need for any transfer switch. 

I am in the process of building a 3-way automatic transfer switch to use with the Emergency Power output of the inverter and our auto-start genset but I'm using interlocked contactors (both mechanical and electrical interlocking. I don't like to take risks with my $$$ investment).

Units like this (use it in manual mode) also provide guaranteed isolation during the change over. https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ats-automatic-dual-power-transfer-switch-2p-63a-i557682430-s1023824660.html

Here is a setup with ats used with hybrid inverter

Pink

16 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

Here is a setup with ats used with hybrid inverter

Yeah, he has an off-grid (or on/off-grid) hybrid which has separate input and output connections, you need the transfer switch in order to bypass the inverter to keep the supply on if the inverter fails.

With an on-grid hybrid there is no need for the transfer switch as there is only a single connection into the electrical system. If the inverter fails then the grid is already connected.

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, he has an off-grid (or on/off-grid) hybrid which has separate input and output connections, you need the transfer switch in order to bypass the inverter to keep the supply on if the inverter fails.

With an on-grid hybrid there is no need for the transfer switch as there is only a single connection into the electrical system. If the inverter fails then the grid is already connected.

Yes i know, but could be an idea to longer life on the inverter to give it some rest?

Regarding the main grid switch to either main breaker box or to inverter as we discuss before i guess i like the look and feel of the ats (in manual mode) better than the knife switch.

Pink

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pink7 said:

I see there is a larger ATS with 4 ports on each side Could i use 2 for main grid ( beakers and inverter) and 2 for inverter ac out ( breaker box and none) So inverter ac out is off when grid is routed to breaker box?

Pink

That's a 3-phase ATS.

Maybe you could draw what you intend doing. We wouldn't want anything to go bang.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

That's a 3-phase ATS.

Maybe you could draw what you intend doing. We wouldn't want anything to go bang.

Ok thanks for the info.  I had the idea that i would make a easy way to re- route the grid back to main breaker box if need to disable grid from inverter. Then i come to think about inverter ac out  would get back feed power from the breaker box grid. Now I'm thinking maybe skip that's part just connect all direct, then if need to switch back  only move grid wires from Inverter breaker to breaker box again. 

Pink

The original 2-pole ATS would handle the breaker-box to grid/inverter just fine with no risk of the grid and inverter output being connected together.

You would need an MCB on the inverter grid input anyway, so just turn it off and your inverter is isolated both ends.

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The original 2-pole ATS would handle the breaker-box to grid/inverter just fine with no risk of the grid and inverter output being connected together.

You would need an MCB on the inverter grid input anyway, so just turn it off and your inverter is isolated both ends.

Im worried about the Inverters AC Out not ac In.. If ac out connected to breaker box for serving the load when grid routed direct to breaker box, then inverter will get power from ac In.

Pink

Edited by Pink7

Just now, Pink7 said:

Im worried about the Inverters AC Out not ac In.. If ac out connected to breaker box for serving the load when grid routed direct to breaker box, then inverter will get power to ac In.

Pink

Not if you have connected your ATS correctly.

This is why you MUST draw out what you want to do. Even if it's pencil sketch on the proverbial fag packet.

The ATS will only ever connect one of the inputs (grid or inverter) to the output (breaker box). It can never connect both inputs at the same time (and thus to each other) unless some deliberate sabotage in in play.

You just hook up the ATS as shown in the instructions but connect the inverter to where the generator would go.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Not if you have connected your ATS correctly.

This is why you MUST draw out what you want to do. Even if it's pencil sketch on the proverbial fag packet.

The ATS will only ever connect one of the inputs (grid or inverter) to the output (breaker box). It can never connect both inputs at the same time (and thus to each other) unless some deliberate sabotage in in play.

You just hook up the ATS as shown in the instructions but connect the inverter to where the generator would go.

If you for now ignore the ATS: If breaker box get power from grid. And inverter AC OUT is connected to Breaker box,, i guess would be a issue. In short it means AC Out got grid power.

Pink

10 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

If you for now ignore the ATS: If breaker box get power from grid. And inverter AC OUT is connected to Breaker box,, i guess would be a issue. In short it means AC Out got grid power.

Pink

NO NO NO!!!

You must NEVER EVER have both sources in your breaker box without some, interlocked, means of switching between them (that would be the ATS).

Do NOT rely on "remembering" to move breakers in the correct order, you will forget one dark night. A member on another forum I use forgot, it cost him US $3,000 worth of inverters!!

Connecting, even briefly, inverter out to the grid will send your inverter into low-earth orbit!

Just run your breaker box from the inverter output and take grid to the inverter input going nowhere near your box (via a suitable MCB of course).

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

NO NO NO!!!

You must NEVER EVER have both sources in your breaker box without some, interlocked, means of switching between them. Do NOT rely on "remembering" to move breakers in the correct order, you will forget one dark night.

Connecting, even accidentally, inverter out to the grid will send your inverter into low-earth orbit!

Just run your breaker box from the inverter output and take grid to the inverter input going nowhere near your box (via a suitable MCB of course).

That's why i was looking for a switch solution who close inverter ac out in same time as grid power switched. A remember solution for sure i will not get.

Pink

3 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

That's why i was looking for a switch solution who close inverter ac out in same time as grid power switched. A remember solution for sure i will not get.

In other words the ATS connected as shown in your earlier linked video ???? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Crossy said:

In other words the ATS connected as shown in your earlier linked video ???? 

What i see from the video he eliminated the Inverters ac inn fully so the ats used direct grid when no solar and no battery. I wanted to switch grid between inverter AC Inn and Main breaker box. Then when grid goes to main breaker box, inverter AC Out must close.

Pink

1 hour ago, Pink7 said:

I posted "Thailand Special Line" to the seller today and got a offer back:

2 x GROWAT SPF5000ES $595 EACH

Shipping cost:236USD ship by Thailand Special Line including custom declearance and tax.

Pink

That seems to be a pretty good price :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Encid said:

That seems to be a pretty good price :thumbsup:

Yes. im tempted... im back and forward now on this Growatt deal and the Mpp Max 11kw.

I guess its quite a few more Growatt here in Thailand.. So maybe future service and parts easier?

Pink

Edited by Pink7

13 hours ago, Pink7 said:

Yes. im tempted... im back and forward now on this Growatt deal and the Mpp Max 11kw.

I guess its quite a few more Growatt here in Thailand.. So maybe future service and parts easier?

Pink

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/powmr-2022-built-in-ct-limiter-mppt-36kw62kw-on-gridoff-grid-hybrid-inverter-24vdc48vdc-230vac-pv-panel-input-500vdc-pure-sine-wave-solar-inverter-120a-solar-controller-lithium-battery-rgb-light-one-click-repair-function-i3581007866-s13371529636.html?

Did you see this 1 yet , can put back in grid ( grid-tie) or not , 6.2 kW ... even the price looks competitive .