Single Entry Non-O visa entry, extension and renewals

I am travelling to Thailand in October and staying for 3 years. I am married to and travelling with a Thai national. I meet the financial requirements both in my country and in Thailand.

I have bought a single air ticket to Bangkok which I believe is acceptable in conjunction with the Single Entry Non-O visa I was intending to apply for (no need for a return ticket, please correct me if I'm wrong). 

I am guessing I would need to extend the visa just before the 90 day expiry date and that I would thereafter be permitted another 12 months. When I get to the end of the first 12 months can I extend again for another 12 months or how would I extend my stay? 

Am I correct in my assumptions and am I going about this in the right way or should I apply for a different visa at the outset? 

Thank you ????

A return or onward ticket is not required if you have a visa to enter the country.

You can extend the 90 day entry from your non-o visa during the last 30 days of the 90 days.

You can do another extension at the end of your first one and all others after that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A return or onward ticket is not required if you have a visa to enter the country.

You can extend the 90 day entry from your non-o visa during the last 30 days of the 90 days.

You can do another extension at the end of your first one and all others after that.

Thank you once again Joe. Seems the plan is okay.

16 minutes ago, pasak said:

. Seems the plan is okay.

Your plan is fine.

After you enter Thailand you will open a Thai bank account which won't be difficult given that you will have a non O.

To apply for the 12 month extension you would require 400k in the bank for two months prior to application.

Perhaps you already have the bank account in place. 

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Your plan is fine.

After you enter Thailand you will open a Thai bank account which won't be difficult given that you will have a non O.

To apply for the 12 month extension you would require 400k in the bank for two months prior to application.

Perhaps you already have the bank account in place. 

Thank you, great to get confirmation.

I have the bank accounts with sufficient funds in my name both abroad and in Thailand. I could opt for either or move from marriage to retirement once in Thailand if it offers greater benefit though I guess it'll be the same in that respect.

I forget but I think I must have had the Multiple O when I lived in Thailand full time. 

When we moved to Meuang Prachuapkirikhan I used to do my extension at Dansingkorn, on the Burmese border but I heard that might have stopped now and if so the nearest would be Hua Hin. Either way I hope I won't need to go to Bangkok to do it. 

24 minutes ago, pasak said:

Either way I hope I won't need to go to Bangkok to do it. 

Many guys like the ME non O marriage that were obtained at for example Savannakhet.

Great option but required border runs.

The option you are using is also excellent.

Just requires the funds in bank.

As you would know the funds only need be in bank for 2 months prior to extention and also under consideration period.

Sweet deal.

In future you can at extension time switch to based on retirement if you wish.

You wouldn't be the only married guy to extend on basis of retirement due to reduced paperwork, home visit etc. 

Edited by DrJack54

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You wouldn't be the only married guy to extend on basis of retirement due to reduced paperwork, home visit etc. 

Should I be applying for the Retirement O rather than the Marriage O in the first place then? 

14 minutes ago, pasak said:

Should I be applying for the Retirement O rather than the Marriage O in the first place then? 

Obtaining a non O retirement in own country would require 90 day insurance.

To avoid that some would obtain a non O marriage and later change for extension based on retirement if that was a better fit. 

If your end game is extensions based on retirement using money in bank method..... personally I would skip obtaining non O in home country.

Would enter visa exempt and obtain non O retirement inside Thailand.

Easy as you already have Thai bank account in place. 

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, pasak said:

Up to you.

Extensions are pretty easy both ways.

marriage needs a smaller bank balance and can be used after extension is issued unlike the retirement option.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Up to you.

Extensions are pretty easy both ways.

marriage needs a smaller bank balance and can be used after extension is issued unlike the retirement option.

You did not mention the amount of paperwork and for many a home visit for based on marriage.

Some find this  intrusive and hence use based on retirement option.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pasak said:

I have the bank accounts with sufficient funds in my name both abroad and in Thailand.

Money in the bank for extensions (retirement or marriage) must be in a Thai bank account and single name only, income can be from abroad, if you can get an embassy letter (US, UK & AUS will not do income letters).

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Obtaining a non O retirement in own country would require 90 day insurance.

To avoid that some would obtain a non O marriage and later change for extension based on retirement if that was a better fit. 

If your end game is extensions based on retirement using money in bank method..... personally I would skip obtaining non O in home country.

Would enter visa exempt and obtain non O retirement inside Thailand.

Easy as you already have Thai bank account in place. 

Thanks, I'm fairly committed to the non O as I've already bought the single air ticket. I guess I'll enter as non O marriage to avoid the insurance and renew as non O retirement after 80 or so days.   

19 minutes ago, pasak said:

Thanks, I'm fairly committed to the non O as I've already bought the single air ticket. I guess I'll enter as non O marriage to avoid the insurance and renew as non O retirement after 80 or so days.   

The single (one way) air ticket is bit of a misnomer.

The pathway of enter visa exempt requirement to have onward flight is easily taken care of. 

Now that you state your intention is to obtain extension based on retirement and already have bank account in Thailand...

Think you should arrive visa exempt.

Many threads on this. 

Edited by DrJack54

I'm doing the Non O, 90 day Spouse visa application now. When it comes to providing financial evidence (not earnings, just money in the bank), what period of time do they require because in the manual they just say "bank statements", nor do they state the minimum amount? For example, do you suppose that a July 2022 bank statement (one month) continuously showing approx USD200k would suffice? If not, what do they need? I googled this but didn't find anything definitive.

38 minutes ago, pasak said:

I'm doing the Non O, 90 day Spouse visa application now. When it comes to providing financial evidence (not earnings, just money in the bank), what period of time do they require because in the manual they just say "bank statements", nor do they state the minimum amount? For example, do you suppose that a July 2022 bank statement (one month) continuously showing approx USD200k would suffice? If not, what do they need? I googled this but didn't find anything definitive.

You only need 20k baht in a bank to apply for a non-o visa at the embassy. That is the standard amount needed for a visa application.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You only need 20k baht in a bank to apply for a non-o visa at the embassy. That is the standard amount needed for a visa application.

Just USD600 for a 90 day visa application from abroad?  I'm just reading "Bank statement showing GBP10,000 minimum". Don't know over what period and whether July only will suffice.

I don't know if you're familiar with the e-visa application but the final page is quite confusing. 4 (Financial evidence) & 10 (Bank statement) seem to ask the same question.

Letter from family is an odd one. I suppose my wife hands me a letter inviting me to my own house in Thailand? ????

Another one: "Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her residency".  Should I just provide my passport (again)?

4 minutes ago, pasak said:

Just USD600 for a 90 day visa application from abroad?  I'm just reading "Bank statement showing GBP10,000 minimum". Don't know over what period and whether July only will suffice.

Tha 10,000 pound requirement is for a non-o visa application for retirement. That has been a error on the e visa site for some now.

Upload proof of the equivalent of 20,000 baht or more.

9 minutes ago, pasak said:

Letter from family is an odd one. I suppose my wife hands me a letter inviting me to my own house in Thailand?

Another one: "Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her residency".  Should I just provide my passport (again)?

Hit post to quick in my previous post,

Your wife will need to write a statement that  she wants you to apply for the extension and you will be living with her.

Where are you applying for the visa at? 

You could upload anything that has your address on if it there is a embassy and official in the country where you are applying at.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Your wife will need to write a statement that  she wants you to apply for the extension and you will be living with her.

You could upload anything that has your address on if it there is a embassy and official in the country where you are applying at.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I'm making the application in the UK.

You've cleared up the "letter from spouse". It's not actually an extension (yet), it's the initial visa although it amounts to the same type of letter.

What should I submit as "Residence permit". It is a question with an asterisk so it must be answered. I suppose my passport once more.

As for the two question about Financial Evidence & Bank Statement, I could either submit the same bank statement or possibly add another one from a different bank.

Proof of accommodation could be her/our Tabien Bahn, I guess.

Are there any threads on this or places to go for support? The Thai Embassy don't answer their phone.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am applying from the UK, not extending in Thailand. Since we will be staying in our house, I was thinking she could write a statement on a scanned copy of our Tabien Bahn that I will be staying with her at this address. Whatever she writes, should it be written in English or in Thai? If the system allowed more than a single document I could provide Tabien Bahn, Chanote and the letter separately. Any ideas gratefully received????

6 hours ago, pasak said:

I am applying from the UK, not extending in Thailand. Since we will be staying in our house, I was thinking she could write a statement on a scanned copy of our Tabien Bahn that I will be staying with her at this address. Whatever she writes, should it be written in English or in Thai? If the system allowed more than a single document I could provide Tabien Baan, Chanote and the letter separately. Any ideas gratefully received????

Best to attach the tambien baan separately. The statement can be in Thai or English. No need for the chanote.

On 8/8/2022 at 9:47 PM, DrJack54 said:

You did not mention the amount of paperwork and for many a home visit for based on marriage.

Some find this  intrusive and hence use based on retirement option.

If they think that they must have some kind of problem.

Not intrusive at all.

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2022 at 10:03 PM, foreverlomsak said:

income can be from abroad, if you can get an embassy letter (US, UK & AUS will not do income letters).

The "income from abroad" method is still available to Aussie, American and Brit retirees (even though their home country embassies no longer provide income confirmation services) through regular monthly transfers equalling at least 65,000 THB from home country into Thai bank accounts in their name.

16 hours ago, Dmitry2222 said:

45 days. Today i asked similar question in my local migration.

Just because your local immigration office might accept 45 days does not necessarily mean that most other offices will accept any longer than 30 days!

3 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

If they think that they must have some kind of problem.

Not intrusive at all.

The problem I have with marriage extensions is with the over-fussy requirements which certain immigration offices (mine included) appear to take delight in springing unannounced on extension of stay applicants as regards the acceptability of photos (on the basis of criteria which can change from year to year at the whim of the particular officer dealing with your latest application), plus the need for (a) 3 witnesses to accompany you and your wife to the immigration office and (b) home visits - not just for the initial application in either instance but every year!

I strongly suspect that these were the main points which @DrJack54 was driving at.

I can only assume that your local immigration office is not one of those which inflicts all this cumbersomely bureaucratic nonsense on marriage extension applicants each year!

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Non O Spouse Visa a week ago. The Embassy sent a PDF file notifying approval and giving data of visa and applicant. No instructions from the Embassy come with the file although one assumes one is to print this out and show it to the airline at origin/customs at Suwarnaphum. At that point the customs officer presumably puts a stamp or sticker in the passport upon sight of the document and QR code. Are these assumptions correct?   

10 hours ago, pasak said:

I got my Non O Spouse Visa a week ago. The Embassy sent a PDF file notifying approval and giving data of visa and applicant. No instructions from the Embassy come with the file although one assumes one is to print this out and show it to the airline at origin/customs at Suwarnaphum. At that point the customs officer presumably puts a stamp or sticker in the passport upon sight of the document and QR code. Are these assumptions correct?   

What you got was your e visa. When you enter the country you will only get the normal arrival stamp.

I don't know if it is true, but I've seen posts that suggest that if you enter on a Non O spouse visa, your first extension must be based on marriage.  After that you can change to retirement extensions.

Hopefully someone can confirm.   Non O spouse visas not requiring insurance seem the best option initially.

6 hours ago, StevoLe said:

I don't know if it is true, but I've seen posts that suggest that if you enter on a Non O spouse visa, your first extension must be based on marriage.  After that you can change to retirement extensions.

Hopefully someone can confirm.   Non O spouse visas not requiring insurance seem the best option initially.

I've read that you can switch to a retirement visa from the first renewal date. That application should be be made within the final 30 days of the initial 90 days of the non 0 visa. I will probably make my application a few days before. The avoidance of mandatory insurance was also my main reason for opting for the spouse over the retirement.