New seat belt rules to apply from September

webfact

1 minute ago, transam said:

I bet you can't, unless you're a dwarf....Are you a dwarf....?  ????

No, my knees can bend, yours don't? Mostly the Mrs gets in the back though if I have another passenger, she's a squirt and seems quite comfy.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats not true...  there is a knock on impact to others when not wearing helmets and seatbelts in situations where had a seatbelt or helmet been worn serious injury and / or death could have readily been avoided. 

And think about persons head smashing into yours because they weren’t restrained in an accident.

(same goes for items in the boot (trunk) and is why we always have the luggage cover pulled across). 

But... Imagine you are in a fender bender... an accident, a 50:50 fault incident...  the other party was not wearing seatbelt and smaked their head hard enough to cause injury or death when normally, if wearing a seatbelt that would be sufficient to protect them.....    there is a knock on effect to all parties, including the other driver.

Well, I mean, that was my point. Seat belts and helmets are meant to save lives and that's why they should be mandatory. Also, the crazy thinking part is when people think: "other people can do whatever they want, not my problem". As you explained, there can be consequences beyond themselves not wearing protection.

Clearly the way I wrote earlier was confusing, please excuse my English skills ????

Edited by BKKTRAVELER

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Not really. Wearing a seatbelt in a car can also save the life of the person sitting in front of you. So it's not even just a "personal responsibility" thing.

It annoys me every time I get into a taxi and start to belt up only to have the taxi driver say "no need. no need".

I think it's just my English that let me down here. What I meant is that seat belts and helmets are meant to save people lives. Not just your own as you rightfully pointed out. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I find it quite practical .... the  2 doors open opposite ways so a really wide access to the cab, it makes the bed of the truck larger than the double cab, and here is the cinch... lower road tax! 

Trading your passengers' safety to save a bit of tax while you've got airbags and belts, good man!   Those suicide rear doors providing access to that rear space are well-named from a passengers perspective.

9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Trading your passengers' safety to save a bit of tax while you've got airbags and belts, good man!   Those suicide rear doors providing access to that rear space are well-named from a passengers perspective.

Oh you are a drama queen.

Very rarely have anyone in the back (and sometimes it is me...I give up the front) so am not duly concerned.... better than having kids climbing all over the place like the locals do, or driving with a dozen in the open bed!

Why call them suicide doors.... never had an issue with them.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Oh you are a drama queen ...

Why call them suicide doors.... never had an issue with them.

Edited 2 minutes ago by jacko45k

"Oh you are a drama queen ..."

Oh, you are awful.  You like that term, don't you?   It's the second time that you've used it in almost as many replies.  You don't drag a chair mincingly behind you while you're saying that do you?!    Only kidding, don't see your a_rse!

It's not just me that refers to them as "suicide doors", it's a widely used term.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Now let me get this straight. ALL passengers, including sub-135 cm ones, must wear a seatbelt whilst travelling in a vehicle, (even if it is a Smart cab pick up with no belts in the back????? )

Children under SIX must be in a proper car seat, 6 to 12 must be belted (555) as must everyone else in the vehicle.

On 'the other forum' it says that children over TWELVE and shorter than 135 are exempted from a car seat, but must still wear a belt.

Clear now?

I always though belts were dangerous for certain heights ie the 135 as it actually sits more across the head/neck than shoulder perhaps?

• Like 1

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

"Oh you are a drama queen ..."

You like that term, don't you?   It's the second time that you've used it in almost as many replies.  You don't drag a chair mincingly behind you while you're saying that do you?!    Only kidding, don't see your a_rse!

It's not just me that refers to them as "suicide doors", it's a widely used term.

If the cap fits... the phrase fitted the scenario. 

These rear doors are not likely to spring open, the front door needs to be opened first and then there is another release on the read door side... in reality a front passenger has to open it for you, like childproof doors.

Are you holding your head in horror dreaming up other dangers now?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Not really. Wearing a seatbelt in a car can also save the life of the person sitting in front of you. So it's not even just a "personal responsibility" thing.

It annoys me every time I get into a taxi and start to belt up only to have the taxi driver say "no need. no need".

Absolutely,to any Thai getting in the back of my truck I politely say " Kem cut" (seatbelt) for that very reason. They’re not going anywhere without complying..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MarkmBha said:

This is laughable. How many people can you fit into a pickup truck?

You should not ask.... try offering a ride to the next village in rural Issarn and get a call in to The Guinness Book of records. And there nobody nags you about putting people in the back!

Not enforceable as 99% of cars have such dark windows that it's impossible to look inside to see if someone is wearing a belt. What a waste of effort. Why not make it illegal to carry passengers in the back of a truck or on the bed of a pick up? That would be enforceable and would make so much more sense. But saying that... sorry I forgot, we are in Thailand...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

These rear doors are not likely to spring open, the front door needs to be opened first and then there is another release on the read door side... in reality a front passenger has to open it for you, like childproof doors.

Are you holding your head in horror dreaming up other dangers now?

I know how they work.  I didn't say that those doors are dangerous, I just referred to what that that type of door is commonly called.

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I know how they work.  I didn't say that those doors are dangerous, I just referred to what that that type of door is commonly called.

OK, I will watch out for suicidal tendencies there......Ford do not call them that!

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And what about people traveling in the pickup bed?

No longer allowed since last year I believe. Of course you still see it a lot but no need for further seat belt like regulation if not legal anyway. 

3 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

I never understood people who don't wear their seat belt. It doesn't cost anything to do so and can potentially save your life. Especially in a country as dangerous as Thailand on the roads... Whatever vehicle I get in, that's the first thing I do as a reflex.

The shoulder belt wrinkles my shirts

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, starky said:

I always though belts were dangerous for certain heights ie the 135 as it actually sits more across the head/neck than shoulder perhaps?

Thats very true... 

My Son is 138m (8 yrs old)... he still has his car seat (Britax KidFix III - brought over from the UK because the are over 2x the price here !)... he sits higher and can see out of the window etc.

We travel with a Mifold - which is a device will keeps the lap-belt in place and brings the shoulder strap down to shoulder level.  https://mifold.com

But, there are times that we go in the car without a car seat. We put the belt on, if its up near his neck, we put the cross-body part of the strap behind him and rely on the lap-part of the belt..... 

Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 11.37.09.png

Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 11.39.18.png

• Thanks 1

I submit something highly personal for your consideration. On January 3, 1986 an accident occurred in Pennsylvania. My Father was driving, his Borther, my Uncle Carl was in the front passenger seat. My Mother and my Aunt Edna (Sister to my Dad and Uncle) were in the back seat. All we’re wearing the “seat belts”. In the front they were waist and shoulder belts, in the back seats, lap belts only, as was standard. A tractor trailer came around a curve at higher speed than the driver could control, came into my Father’s lane and hit the car head-on, causing it to collapse into a V shape horuzonically. The semi spun the car off, snapper a power pole and ended up in the front porch of a house. Dad and Uncle Carl, severely damaged. My Mother and Asunta died as a result of their necks snapping due to only having lap belts.I support seat belt laws BUT … only belts including shoulder harness. Long ago but after the fatal accident, Kentucky was considering passing the same seat belt requirements. I sent the photos to the Speaker of the Legislature House …  I must decline adherence unless shoulder belts are available. 

27 minutes ago, Owiee said:

How are seat belts going to be fitted to the back of Utes or is this area going to be exempt ????

I suspect exempt, in the same manner trucks with labourers or extended family thrown in the back will also be exempt....   

.... usually under.....  'oh... feel sorry for them, they can’t afford the fine’......

All of these regulations and laws only usually apply in ares of visibility..... 

i.e. Main ares of Bangkok and the main tourist and busier areas of Pattaya, Phuket, Hua Hin and Chiang Mai....  

Other cities and areas of Thailand generally seem exempt from the periodic crack-downs and road-blocks....  

2 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

I must decline adherence unless shoulder belts are available. 

Of three point seatbelts that go across the shoulder are safer than two point seatbelts that only go across the lap..... 

But a two point lap belt is still safer than no-belt.... just look at the amount of incidents in Thailand where the driver is thrown out of the vehicle. 

------------

When my family all visited with their children a number of years back we needed to hire a mini-van to transport us all around.

I enquired for rates etc, type of vehicle and if all the seatbelts were 3 point seat-belts. 

Of course, yes was the answer -

I then asked for photos of the exactly vehicle we would be provided with, with number plate etc and photos inside the vehicle of 3 point seatbelts.

The probably thought I was mad... a case of ‘farang think too mut’....  

A couple of the companies were caught out lying of course !!!