New seat belt rules to apply from September

webfact

3 minutes ago, bang saen guy said:

How many belts need to be retrifitted in song teaws? Do city buses have belts?

Many cities have ‘taxi exclusion laws’....   i.e. its not a legal requirement for people to wear seatbelts in taxi’s in London, neither is a child seat a legal requirement. 

(but all taxi’s do have a seatbelt).

I imagine the same will be permitted for Songthaews (truck-taxi’s) and TukTuks... 

Private pickups - they’ll just be overlooked and filed in the ‘too difficult to deal with’ bin... 

• Like 2

Quite some years ago (I don't remember how many but at least more than 5-6 or so) I arrived at the airport and found out that a seat-belt rule had been introduced. The taxi driver was adamant about me wearing the belt in the back seat. This lasted a few days and then it was business as usual. Looks like they are reviving an existing law?

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That said, the recognition that seatbelts (for the whole vehicle) and child safety seats are required is a good thing... but again, will the police bother to enforce them after the first two weeks of announcements and crackdowns ?

If they are blind to motorcyclists not wearing helmets then they most certainly won't see people not wearing a seat belt. Just another law that everyone will ignore, police and public alike. Completely normal and no surprise to anyone.

4 hours ago, connda said:

For me, buckling up as soon as I sit is ingrained habit.  Like wearing a motorcycle helmet (and shoes, and jean (at least), and gloves).
My body, my choice.  I see value in their use.

Everyone else?  It's up to them.  The laws requiring these items are essentially money-making schemes for the BIB.

They are only money making schemes if people don’t comply.

In other countries they are money-making schemes for the government.

Comply and the money  river dries up.

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If they are blind to motorcyclists not wearing helmets then they most certainly won't see people not wearing a seat belt. Just another law that everyone will ignore, police and public alike. Completely normal and no surprise to anyone.

Not sure I was in a taxi a couple of years ago when they tried this rule and got pulled over because driver was not wearing.

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This is Thailand...  there are no laws until there are laws !!!... 

Laws are also selectively enforced and followed...  not only enforced by area, but also by the ’target’....

I suspect many may follow this law, simply because its a law, others will continue to ignore it. 

The law will save lives and have fantastic impact on some families, but I doubt the seatbelt and child seat laws will have the significant impact on society we would like to see, because of the widely accepted utter laziness of enforcement in Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Many cities have ‘taxi exclusion laws’....   i.e. its not a legal requirement for people to wear seatbelts in taxi’s in London, neither is a child seat a legal requirement. 

I imagine the same will be permitted for Songthaews (truck-taxi’s) and TukTuks... 

Private pickups - they’ll just be overlooked and filed in the ‘too difficult to deal with’ bin... 

It's possible to put seatbelt in songthaew and tuktuk.

Canadian military had to put seatbelt in the back of trucks set up the same way.

Tuktuk can also but it will restrict how many can cram in 

3 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

It's possible to put seatbelt in songthaew and tuktuk.

Canadian military had to put seatbelt in the back of trucks set up the same way.

Tuktuk can also but it will restrict how many can cram in 

Of course, its possible....   But they don’t even do that in public-city busses in many of the cities in our developed nations.... We can’t expect to see that here. 

(interprovincial and long distance busses are a different matter).

2 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

A good 40 years to late think of the lives that could of been saved had this law been made back then and let’s face it a good majority of Thais will ignore this new regulation 

Think it took faraland a similar timescale to reduce road fatalities.

In the UK.

It became law to fit seat belts in new cars in 1965, law to use them in was later still, 1983, 40 years back, kids in rear seats, 1989. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Cargo, I suppose.  If it was meant for rear passengers they'd have to be supplied with belts as standard, as cars are.

By that same reasoning cars in the mountain areas should have cold/hot air-con but they don't.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The driver must wear a seat belt at all times while driving.  Front seat passengers and passengers sitting in the back or any other row are required to wear a seat belt at all times while travelling in a vehicle.

So It's a MUST for the Driver  But but only a Requirement for the passengers ,Not a Law .

Who's inventing this and policing this drivil.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not true about passengers in London Taxis. All passengers over the age of 14 MUST be belted. The driver is, however, exempt under reg. 6 The Motor Vehicles (Wearing of Seat Belts) Regulations 1993 while plying for hire.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There isn't any seat belt for the bench seat at rear of my truck cab! And what about people traveling in the pickup bed?

Isn't it obvious? Tell them take a Cab or Tuk Tuk....that or sign a waiver releasing you of responsibility.

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There isn't any seat belt for the bench seat at rear of my truck cab! And what about people traveling in the pickup bed?

If you own a 2 doors truck with green plates you're not supposed to have a bench not passengers in the back. These vehicles are registered for only a driver and 1-2 passengers in the front, depending on if you have 2 separate seats or 1 long bench.

Those vehicles leave the factory with no bench, which is later added by the dealers.

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It is illegal to carry passengers on the rear bench seat which is why the manufacturers do no install seat belts. It is a cargo space

Ditto the carriage of passengers in the cargo tray of a pickup (unless it's a Bibmobile????)