New seat belt rules to apply from September

webfact

12 minutes ago, thurien said:

how about the 1 or 2 kids always idling in the front passenger seat, do they have to share the belt with mother/father? or do they get a 2nd belt just for front kids?

1 person per seat with belt.

not a hard concept.... do you ask the same stupid questions in your home country ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

I never understood people who don't wear their seat belt. It doesn't cost anything to do so and can potentially save your life. Especially in a country as dangerous as Thailand on the roads... Whatever vehicle I get in, that's the first thing I do as a reflex.

Thais don't need to. They have their amulets to protect them.????

1 hour ago, djayz said:

So, basically, the same laws that have existed - and been strictly enforced - in most of Farangistan since the 1970s/80s? 

Well done chaps! 

The wearing of seatbelts in the rear seats became compulsory in the UK 1991... 

While think Thailand can do a lot better, I don’t think the exaggerated criticism is fair. 

And... to take this a step further... pretty much all manufacturers make vehicles which ‘chime’ if the front passengers are not wearing seatbelts....

Why do they not do this for the rear seats ???... 

Edited by richard_smith237

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There isn't any seat belt for the bench seat at rear of my truck cab! And what about people traveling in the pickup bed?

People sitting in the pick up bed have obviously put their safety in the hands of a "higher power" and as such should be allowed to continue their journey unhindered 

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Unfortunately there is an elephant in the room.... and that elephant is not standing by idly but its s spaffing off into face of the lawmakers who’s laws and regulations go completely unenforced.....

Laws are pointless if they are ignored and unenforced. 

That said, the recognition that seatbelts (for the whole vehicle) and child safety seats are required is a good thing... but again, will the police bother to enforce them after the first two weeks of announcements and crackdowns ?

Then of course, that elephant is still in the room knocking one out over all the policy makers....  what about the pickup trucks with people stuffed in the flat bed ????? Motorcyclists without helmets etc etc etc.... 

Its great that Thailand is bringing in important laws.... but none of this means anything when that huge big fat elephant in the room is being completely ignored....   Thailand needs to address law enforcement on the roads, until then laws are pretty much irrelevant. 

Indeed. Riding in the back of a flatbed pick up truck often packed, is a national habit amongst the poorer elements of Thai society, so a very large proportion of the population, as well as to get the workers to their place of work or as part of their work. Is this illegal? If it is it's another law both unknown and unenforceable here.

2 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

It is illegal to carry passengers on the rear bench seat which is why the manufacturers do no install seat belts. It is a cargo space

Ditto the carriage of passengers in the cargo tray of a pickup (unless it's a Bibmobile????)

So if its a cargo space, why does it look just like a seat?   They gave up trying to enforce that around 5 or 6 years ago 

3 hours ago, dave moir said:

I'm sure they tried to enforce this a few years ago as well as not being able to ride in the back of a pickup truck! A swift about turn within a couple of weeks was the outcome!????

correct

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Now let me get this straight. ALL passengers, including sub-135 cm ones, must wear a seatbelt whilst travelling in a vehicle, (even if it is a Smart cab pick up with no belts in the back????? )

Children under SIX must be in a proper car seat, 6 to 12 must be belted (555) as must everyone else in the vehicle.

On 'the other forum' it says that children over TWELVE and shorter than 135 are exempted from a car seat, but must still wear a belt.

Clear now?

Clear as mud 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Not wearing a seat belt in any seat of a car in Thailand will soon be punishable by a 2,000 baht fine. The rule will come into effect 120 days after its publication in the Royal Gazette on September 5, 2022.

Got taken for a meal by a friend yesterday, I'm in the front passenger seat, she's driving, mother and two friends in the back.

I'm the only one wearing a belt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Got taken for a meal by a friend yesterday, I'm in the front passenger seat, she's driving, mother and two friends in the back.

I would've threatened to turn 'em in. 

Savages.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

f you own a 2 doors truck with green plates you're not supposed to have a bench not passengers in the back

Why would I have green plates? There are 4 doors and regular plates. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

It is illegal to carry passengers on the rear bench seat which is why the manufacturers do no install seat belts.

Seat appears to match the rest of the cab....I am pretty sure it was fitted in the factory! It is dealer bought too.....my cargo is the odd person! Had it since 2006 and it has never been an issue. 

I remember when we were informed it was against the law to use the bed of a Pickup Truck to convey people. I was living in Central Thailand rural area where if this law was to be obeyed it would have ruined the livelihood of many Ban residents.

The gimicks that politicians and Civil Servants devise seem boundless. This seems to be a worldwide trait with these professions!

Have you noticed the road sign which states "REDUCE SPEED" when approaching an urban area. I have not seen one that states that one can resume normal traffic speed.

I think there is more than one "Big Joke" in  uniform.

12 minutes ago, fgmr said:

remember when we were informed it was against the law to use the bed of a Pickup Truck to convey people. I was living in Central Thailand rural area where if this law was to be obeyed it would have ruined the livelihood of many Ban residents.

If they adhere to such rules every baht bus in Pattaya needs to quit business! 

18 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

I never understood people who don't wear their seat belt. It doesn't cost anything to do so and can potentially save your life. Especially in a country as dangerous as Thailand on the roads... Whatever vehicle I get in, that's the first thing I do as a reflex.

I agree same as helmets but then how can you enforce the laws when you see the enforcers break the law daily and with impunity !!!

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I bet they were wearing masks though. 

I was at market Village in Hua Hin yesterday where many foreign looking people weren't wearing masks. 

If I don't want to wear a belt, it's only risking my life, if I don't wear a mask, it could hurt many others 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I bet they were wearing masks though. 

I was at market Village in Hua Hin yesterday where many foreign looking people weren't wearing masks. 

If I don't want to wear a belt, it's only risking my life, if I don't wear a mask, it could hurt many others 

Codswallop. You’ve always got to turn it around. Give it up bruv. 

• Like 1