New seat belt rules to apply from September

webfact

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Unuseable belts in taxis" is a bit like the "buses belching black smoke" myth (most have been NGV-fuelled for years) that some Thaivisa posters love to trot it out but it's rarely the case in reality.

Not a "myth" going by the posts of others above who have encountered same issue. Booking a "taxi" on Bolt is no guarantee that it will have working rear seat belts either.

It's all a BIG joke. LOS has had laws for years about helmets on bikes. Seat belts & how many on a motorbike. Also about ladies riding side saddle. Driving, riding on the wrong side of the road, soi.  Pedestrian crossings being totally ignored. Double parking restricting traffic. The list goes on & on. ENFORCEMENT is the issue... end of story.

8 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:
17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Unuseable belts in taxis" is a bit like the "buses belching black smoke" myth (most have been NGV-fuelled for years) that some Thaivisa posters love to trot it out but it's rarely the case in reality.

Not a "myth" going by the posts of others above who have encountered same issue.

This is Thaivisa and most posters Thai-bash with delight here; my daily experience of Bangkok taxis (not the clapped-out old ones that still struggle on) is that they do have useable rear belts and that it is a myth that they don't (as with the "belching buses" myth).  There is no rational reason for taxis' passenger belts to be disabled.

Maybe those who make the claim about unuseable taxi rear seat belts could post pictures of those offending taxis?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Now let me get this straight. ALL passengers, including sub-135 cm ones, must wear a seatbelt whilst travelling in a vehicle, (even if it is a Smart cab pick up with no belts in the back????? )

Children under SIX must be in a proper car seat, 6 to 12 must be belted (555) as must everyone else in the vehicle.

On 'the other forum' it says that children over TWELVE and shorter than 135 are exempted from a car seat, but must still wear a belt.

Clear now?

what is a Smart cab?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Namplik said:
25 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They're not designed to carry passengers there, so they don't need to be equipped with belts.

So why is there a seat/bench there then? 

Cargo, presumably.   If it was meant for passengers they would be fitted with belts and mounting points from the factory, as required by law (as the double-cab versions are).

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Unfortunately there is an elephant in the room.... and that elephant is not standing by idly but its s spaffing off into face of the lawmakers who’s laws and regulations go completely unenforced.....

Laws are pointless if they are ignored and unenforced. 

That said, the recognition that seatbelts (for the whole vehicle) and child safety seats are required is a good thing... but again, will the police bother to enforce them after the first two weeks of announcements and crackdowns ?

Then of course, that elephant is still in the room knocking one out over all the policy makers....  what about the pickup trucks with people stuffed in the flat bed ????? Motorcyclists without helmets etc etc etc.... 

Its great that Thailand is bringing in important laws.... but none of this means anything when that huge big fat elephant in the room is being completely ignored....   Thailand needs to address law enforcement on the roads, until then laws are pretty much irrelevant. 

Amen. Until they solve the pickup truck and motorcycle problems, this law is pointless.

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Cargo, presumably.   If it was meant for passengers they would be fitted with belts and mounting points from the factory, as required by law (as the double-cab versions are).

I wonder how Toyota describes them. Do they claim that the standard model can hold 3 or more passengers?

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's because you're not supposed to have passengers there!

So what is the seat for?

Whatever you want to use it for.   Are you suggesting that just because those vehicles are fitted with the world's most ridiculously uncomfortable thing-that-looks-a-bit-like-a-seat and next to no legroom that they are intended for rear passenger use?   They have double cabs for that.

• Like 1

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Whatever you want to use it for.   Are you suggesting that just because those vehicles are fitted with the world's most ridiculously uncomfortable thing-that-looks-a-bit-like-a-seat and next to no legroom that they are intended for rear passenger use?   They have double cabs for that.

I recall my 2 seater 1964 MGB Roadster had a "seat", inside it were 2 x 6 volt batteries...????

MGB.jpg.eee7b9f75918686ccda8279cbb071265.jpg

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I wonder how Toyota describes them. Do they claim that the standard model can hold 3 or more passengers?

No idea, have a look at their website.   The specifications section will tell you that they don't have rear seat belts while the double cabs with proper rear seats do have belts

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Oh don't be a drama queen.....that back seat is pretty comfy... I can lie down in it. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Another rule another ignored? 

How is the crosswalk doing?  How is talking on phone doing? 

But I guess if it stays in the news then the job is getting done. 

New rule what happened to the old one? ????

Edited by thailand49

4 minutes ago, transam said:

That is for the terrorist customers with no laws, .50 cal bolted in the back, ammo and replacement staff shoved in the weeee door space....????

I find it quite practical .... the  2 doors open opposite ways so a really wide access to the cab, it makes the bed of the truck larger than the double cab, and here is the cinch... lower road tax! 

• Sad 1