Lady wants justice from car manufacturer - they damaged her car not once but TWICE!

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Sanook

A Thai lady called Phromsiri, 31, went to the Thai media to seek justice after what on the face of it seems some appalling customer service. 

Sanook published many pictures of her damaged car but with the make "vaselined" out. Nowhere in a long story was the location or identity of the manufacturer mentioned. 

We'll leave that speculation up to posters; here is her story.

On June 2nd she put her car into the service center for checks as she was planning an up country trip.

She handed over the keys to a staffer who promptly backed it into another vehicle causing some scratches to the paint work. 

image.jpeg

It was agreed that they would repair the scratches with a new paint job but as Phromsiri was going to another province this was deferred for a while.

On 29th July she put her car back in for the paint job as agreed and was told she'd be able to pick it up on August 1st.

On 30th July she got a call from the company to say that her car had been damaged when it was being taken to another garage. 

When she saw it she was shocked to see both the front and the back had been completely smashed in. 

A meeting with a senior manager was arranged for August 1st. She said she wanted a new car as the vehicle was relatively new - she'd paid just 16 instalments representing a year and a bit. 

She was told no way.

She then suggested that the company return her down payment and 16 instalments and she was prepared to buy a new one from them.

This was taken to a committee meeting on August 9th but also rejected. 

image.jpeg

The company offered to do a full repair and give her a 30,000 baht extra payment in cash and extend the warranty by two years. 

This Phromsiri rejected. Her car had been so badly damaged she didn't fancy this resolution.

She suggested a third idea. This was to make the repairs and give her 500,000 baht for time wasted and other considerations.

She told Sanook that she didn't expect this to be agreed as it was far too much but she expected the company to come back with a revised offer. 

They didn't, they just rejected her plan out of hand at a commitee meeting on 11th August.

So she went to the police to file a report, the media to seek justice and adds further that she plans to contact the watchdog group Damrongtham before taking the matter to court. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-08-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

I sympathise with the woman but, talk about wishful thinking!

"I want a brand new replacement car for my one and a half-year old damaged Nissan Almera...or if you're going to repair it as new I want my deposit and all the monthly installments refunded"   

If only normal insurance policies worked that way!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

11 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Maybe take it to head office in Japan , I am sure

the won't like the bad publicity , their dealership

are causing, she is not going to get the problem

solved in Thailand ,to her satisfaction.

regards Worgeordie 

Have you actually read what her daft demands are?   A new car or a repair and the refund of her finance deposit and all her monthly payments to date!   Ridiculous.   Why would Nissan Japan have any interest in collision repair of a nearly two-year old car?

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, worgeordie said:
58 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Have you actually read what her daft demands are?   A new car or a repair and the refund of her finance deposit and all her monthly payments to date!   Ridiculous.   Why would Nissan Japan have any interest in collision repair of a nearly two-year old car?

Expand  

So what would you be happy with  ?....  pleased to see you used a HaHa 

emoji , instead of your usual  Sad emoji , or was that a mistake .....

Well, one of the risks of using a car on the public roads is that accidents can happen and, if they do, no one can expects a new car to replace an old car as she is demanding (unless a premium had been paid for "new for old" cover).  I would accept a properly repaired car, that's all.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brick Top said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I sympathise with the woman but, talk about wishful thinking!

"I want a brand new replacement car for my one and a half-year old damaged Nissan Almera...or if you're going to repair it as new I want my deposit and all the monthly installments refunded"   

If only normal insurance policies worked that way!

Expand  

Well I have to say I totally agree with her demands , she should without question receive a brand new car. 

Being in the used car business for 50 years

A strangely uninformed response from someone who has been in the business for 50 years.   

No insurer, or dealer, would provide a new car to replace a nearly two-year old car unless they had been paying a substantial premium to cover the car on that new-for-old basis (unlikely).  It just does not happen in the real world no matter what sympathies 3rd parties have for her circumstances.   If the car was so badly damaged that economic repair was not feasible, the car would be written-off and the owner would receive the current value of the car before the accident.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

32 minutes ago, Joseph98765 said:

Ask for a new car, makes sense for me...I won't drive that car after that. That transmission is totally damage and knowing how they fix things here... that car is a death sentence 

Clearly, you don't know how professional body shops here can repair damaged vehicles.  A properly repaired car is not "a death sentence".

How would you know that the transmission of her car is "totally damage" [sic]?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, PremiumLane said:

Low IQ time again in here - she didn't wreck the car, the dealership did, so she has every right to ask for a new car - they have basically f^cked it

"Low IQ time again in here"

Indeed.   She has every right to have the car professionally repaired and restored to the condition it was before the accident. 

If she did have every right to a new car to replace her old car her insurer would be doing that!

• Sad 3