Lady wants justice from car manufacturer - they damaged her car not once but TWICE!

webfact

2 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

The cost to repair this vehicle would be substantial not just severe front damage but rear also looks like an impact head on and someone smashing into the rear. could be bent Chasis. If it was in the UK this would be written off. However, this is Thailand so I expect a bodge job on the repair with little Compo.

And if the frame is bent it's salvage.

She needs to file a complain to the corporate head office.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think it would be fair of the Dealership to offer the lady a replacement car. 

If her car is 16 months old, find a same or similar 16 month old car with the same or similar mileage (or better) that has not been in an accident and transfer ownership and payment to that model

Offer a normal amount for her inconvenience because the garage crashed it and not her. 

In an ideal world I would have to agree with you. Surely the dealer has "snatch backs" on their (or the finance company they use) inventory of similar model and age which can be transferred to the customer. She continues payments the finance company pays a few 1000 Baht in transfer fees and all are appeased.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Well, one of the risks of using a car on the public roads is that accidents can happen and, if they do, no one can expects a new car to replace an old car as she is demanding (unless a premium had been paid for "new for old" cover).  I would accept a properly repaired car, that's all.

So a salvaged vehicle is what you would be happy with, when you dropped of a fairly new undamaged vehicle which you could have sold for 85% or so of the original price, but now because it is a salvaged car you would be lucky to get 25% of its original value.....seems good to me that that is what you would accept, as you seem to have no issues with it being repaired for over half the price of what a new one would cost, and yet because it was salvaged would be worth next to nothing.  Now maybe if they canceled the rest of her payments and salvaged the car she could buy it for 25% of the value after the insurance pays her out.  Win Win.  

• Like 1

Oh dear looks like someone had a sense of humor failure. oh well,  it was only a joke.

BTW, I did 14 years in the motor trade, I woke up one day then got a proper job. :cheesy:

Never missed the constipation from the filler dust !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or the holes in the jeans and socks from the welder, or the hospital visits as some how when grinding, it still managed to  get up under the goggles and get me in the eye !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, little buggers,  black finger nails always a good one.

the life of the panel beater was tuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!. :cheesy:

Dealership should given her a car of the same type, age and condition and 

some small compensation for the disgraceful care they showed of her car.

total tosspots they were.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If she did have every right to a new car to replace her old car her insurer would be doing that!

If she has full insurance and not just the statutory minimum. In the UK the insurer would be dealing direct with the garage, not sure on Thailand as I have heard stories otherwise, like he was not insured so it's up to you to get the money for the repairs, and by the way your premium has just gone up.

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...and here in Thailand there is no doubt that the colour will not match 100%".

Why?  You think that Thai repairers don't have access to exactly the same colour-matching technology that is available to the rest of the world?   Jesus...

Yes, I'm listening my son....

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Have you actually read what her daft demands are?   A new car or a repair and the refund of her finance deposit and all her monthly payments to date!   Ridiculous.   Why would Nissan Japan have any interest in collision repair of a nearly two-year old car?

Perfectly reasonable considering the vehicle has been virtually written off. 

"as the vehicle was relatively new - she'd paid just 16 instalments representing a year and a bit. ",

- and don't underestimate the impact of social media can have regarding negative publicity. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Dealerships are notorious for throwing their customers under a bus, the lady would probably do better contacting the car manufacturer directly.

Unless, of course, it is a brand that is known for throwing car buyers under a bus.

2 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

If she has full insurance and not just the statutory minimum. In the UK the insurer would be dealing direct with the garage, not sure on Thailand as I have heard stories otherwise, like he was not insured so it's up to you to get the money for the repairs, and by the way your premium has just gone up.

Its financed, it will have full insurance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How would you know that the transmission of her car is "totally damage" [sic]?

Severe impacts like that can cause damage to a transmission that only later becomes apparent. Another reason for her to be given a new vehicle.

Many years ago my parents’ almost brand new car was hit from behind at high speed while it was legally parked. Fixed with a “cut and shut”, where the entire back end was swapped with that from another car. Couple of months after the repair job the auto transmission totally packed it in. The insurance company refused to cover that, and General Motors Holdens understandably refused to cover it under the new car warranty, as they said the failure was almost certainly due to the impact.

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Clearly, you don't know how professional body shops here can repair damaged vehicles.  A properly repaired car is not "a death sentence"

Irrespective of how well the repair shop can repair the car it is now a repaired vehicle.  The value of her car went down.  Also from the pictures this is not a door dent.  It appears the car suffered significant damage.  I would not want it back after being repaired.  She also faces the liklihood that even after repairs she will have to go back to correct whatever defects remain after the repair.  Hard to get a badly damaged car with all the defects correct the first time. 

Bottom line, she entrusted them with a car that had zero damage.  She is owed back a car with zero damage.  There should not be a problem locating a virtually identical car with the same or lower mileage and for the dealership to repair the car and sell it.  They will then take the loss in value rather than her. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I sympathise with the woman but, talk about wishful thinking!

"I want a brand new replacement car for my one and a half-year old damaged Nissan Almera...or if you're going to repair it as new I want my deposit and all the monthly installments refunded"   

If only normal insurance policies worked that way!

You are the first person to mention insurance. Curiously absent from the original news story unless this 'committee' that's refusing to be hosed is the insurance company. The new car, still being on finance, would have mandatory first class insurance, no?

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Grades that enable their vehicles to be compliant with the same safety regulations that every other manufacturer has to meet.   You're suggesting that some brands, in comparable sectors, are using superior grades of steel?

This did apply several years ago where certain marques that were assembled in Thailand for export did use heavier (thicker) gauge pressed steel for main panels to comply with mandatory crash standards in foreign countries that were not required locally. I think there's more standardization these days in that manufacturers' needing to hold multiple inventories of basically the same body parts became less cost-effective.

For info only.

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

Friend worked in japan a couple of years, job came with a new high end car whilst he was there, high profile car company. Friend was highly impressed with the service provided including a snr., mngr from the HO In Toky calling him after every service to check all was well. (I can agree with that, exact same experience.)

Friend returned to LOS and bought a similar model / same brand in Bkk. At second service car was taken out for a road test and involved in a serious crash. Dealer refused to offer any compensation.

Friend did some detective work and got the name and address and photo of the Thai dealership owner and estblished that he spoke good English.

Friend arrived unannounced, walked into owners room and laid out all the documents he had from when he was in japan, highlighting the name/rank of the Japanese snr who had called him several times in English when he was in Tokyo. Also the e.mail address of same man.

Then he opened his notebook and displayaed that he had an e.mail ready to send with numerous photos of the damage. Plus a photo, full name/address of the Bkk dealership owner and photos of the front showroom of the dealership.

Thai dealership owner said 'you're too frightened to send that e.mail' and then ignored the farang.

Farang immediately sent the e.mail. Within a half hour he got a call from the snr mngr in Tokyo who apologized and send 'where are you now?' 'At the dealership, dealership owner is in the next room'.

Ten minutes later dealership owner comes out gives a long apology and many wais and tells the farang he will be getting a new car within a few days and a temporary car until new one is delivered, plus a cheque for just over 200,000Baht plus the dealership will pay the costs (if any) of services for next several years.

An hour later the guy from Tokyo calls the farang to check he's satisfied and reveals that the dealership owner had been fined about 1MBaht. 

Farang got the new car and every time he took the car for servicing he got the full red carpet trartment. 

Friend tells a ripping yarn. A 'guy from Tokyo' fines a Thai dealership a million baht? Over the phone?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The garage/dealership should have insurance for damage to customers vehicles due to negligence of their employees.

How about if this car was safely parked at the garage/dealership when a third-party vehicle, maybe making a delivery or otherwise not belonging to or being driven by an employee of the garage/dealership backed into the parked car and pushed it into a solid object.

The owner could probably be caught in a p*ssing contest between several insurance companies?

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Maybe take it to head office in Japan , I am sure

the won't like the bad publicity , their dealership

are causing, she is not going to get the problem

solved in Thailand ,to her satisfaction.

regards Worgeordie 

Yes.

Bombing the manufacturer's social media with negative posts and links/pictures to articles about her travails could stir some action.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Irrespective of how well the repair shop can repair the car it is now a repaired vehicle.  The value of her car went down.  Also from the pictures this is not a door dent.  It appears the car suffered significant damage.  I would not want it back after being repaired.  She also faces the liklihood that even after repairs she will have to go back to correct whatever defects remain after the repair.  Hard to get a badly damaged car with all the defects correct the first time. 

Bottom line, she entrusted them with a car that had zero damage.  She is owed back a car with zero damage.  There should not be a problem locating a virtually identical car with the same or lower mileage and for the dealership to repair the car and sell it.  They will then take the loss in value rather than her. 

You’ll get nowhere arguing logic with this one I’m afraid. Of course if it happened to them I’m sure they’d be just fine with it all, NOT.

After all the hassle and anguish she’s been dealt at the hand of an incompetent dealer looking to save money and face, she deserves a new vehicle. Let’s hope her pursuing this sees them lose. It is all quite banana republic. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

Friend worked in japan a couple of years, job came with a new high end car whilst he was there, high profile car company. Friend was highly impressed with the service provided including a snr., mngr from the HO In Toky calling him after every service to check all was well. (I can agree with that, exact same experience.)

Friend returned to LOS and bought a similar model / same brand in Bkk. At second service car was taken out for a road test and involved in a serious crash. Dealer refused to offer any compensation.

Friend did some detective work and got the name and address and photo of the Thai dealership owner and estblished that he spoke good English.

Friend arrived unannounced, walked into owners room and laid out all the documents he had from when he was in japan, highlighting the name/rank of the Japanese snr who had called him several times in English when he was in Tokyo. Also the e.mail address of same man.

Then he opened his notebook and displayaed that he had an e.mail ready to send with numerous photos of the damage. Plus a photo, full name/address of the Bkk dealership owner and photos of the front showroom of the dealership.

Thai dealership owner said 'you're too frightened to send that e.mail' and then ignored the farang.

Farang immediately sent the e.mail. Within a half hour he got a call from the snr mngr in Tokyo who apologized and send 'where are you now?' 'At the dealership, dealership owner is in the next room'.

Ten minutes later dealership owner comes out gives a long apology and many wais and tells the farang he will be getting a new car within a few days and a temporary car until new one is delivered, plus a cheque for just over 200,000Baht plus the dealership will pay the costs (if any) of services for next several years.

An hour later the guy from Tokyo calls the farang to check he's satisfied and reveals that the dealership owner had been fined about 1MBaht. 

Farang got the new car and every time he took the car for servicing he got the full red carpet trartment. 

Good for  your  friend, The  Thais  need a  good  kick up the ares for their  lack of service and then the ability  for  threatening others when they get  a serious  complaint which they are  wholly at fault  for.

I did a  similar  thing  with Honda  once  writing  to  head  office in   Japan and within a  very short  time got a   beautifully  written reply from Japan and had the dealer and head  man in Thailand for  Honda  knocking on my  door  apologising. I kept the letter  to this  day.