Lady wants justice from car manufacturer - they damaged her car not once but TWICE!

webfact

"The company offered to do a full repair and give her a 30,000 baht extra payment in cash and extend the warranty by two years" - this is NOT acceptable - no car this damaged will even be properly roadworthy.

Looks like she should have a new car.

I've had a few run-ins with Mitsubishi and Nissan.

The problem usually starts with the dealership who don't seem to get an=y support from the manufacturer.

by going to the manufacturer, I've got results in the ed even if the fault was with the dealer.

I can't believe the dealership haven't offered a new car after the amount of damage they did....I also can't conceive of circumstances where they could justify this damage occurring - what on earth were they doing?????

Many cars with that amount of damage would fail had worthiness tests. The airbags alone will cost thou=sands of dollars ( did they go off?)

It is a sad example of how consumer law in Thailand is still in the dark ages, and quite appalling that the dealer and manufacturer haven't quickly replaced the vehicle

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Of course no mention of the dealership, or manufacturer, defamation rules  -  looks like a Yaris to me, or whats left of it.  Made with beer cans that one is.     Peace

You could be right but I personally have never had bad service from Toyota. Was this a small workshop and not the shop of the car manufacturer? So few details it is impossible to see the full story.

13 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Its financed, it will have full insurance.

When I bought mine on finance (in my wife's name obviously), only the first year of No 1 insurance was provided, after that it was up to me. The provision of the tax disc (for want of a better term) and the statutory minimum insurance was covered by the finance company.

Maybe things have changed.

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

You could be right but I personally have never had bad service from Toyota. Was this a small workshop and not the shop of the car manufacturer? So few details it is impossible to see the full story.

I have had bad service with Honda.

so it does happen. 

Oh no,  i said it. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. :cheesy:.

16 hours ago, Ralf001 said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Grades that enable their vehicles to be compliant with the same safety regulations that every other manufacturer has to meet.   You're suggesting that some brands, in comparable sectors, are using superior grades of steel?

So your saying you don't know.... and yet you comment like you do.

Thought as much.

Point out which part of my comment was incorrect.  You can't...thought as much.

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...and here in Thailand there is no doubt that the colour will not match 100%".

Why?  You think that Thai repairers don't have access to exactly the same colour-matching technology that is available to the rest of the world?   Jesus...

Expand  

Yes, I'm listening my son....

Listening for what?

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, mancub said:

Perfectly reasonable considering the vehicle has been virtually written off. 

"as the vehicle was relatively new - she'd paid just 16 instalments representing a year and a bit. ",

- and don't underestimate the impact of social media can have regarding negative publicity. 

Written-off vehicles do not get replaced with new vehicles by any insurer unless they are written-off when they were brand new and, sure as sugar, nearly two-year old cars don't.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So a salvaged vehicle is what you would be happy with, when you dropped of a fairly new undamaged vehicle which you could have sold for 85% or so of the original price, but now because it is a salvaged car you would be lucky to get 25% of its original value.....seems good to me that that is what you would accept, as you seem to have no issues with it being repaired for over half the price of what a new one would cost, and yet because it was salvaged would be worth next to nothing.  Now maybe if they canceled the rest of her payments and salvaged the car she could buy it for 25% of the value after the insurance pays her out.  Win Win.  

How does a potential buyer know it has been salvaged ?

Not as though it would be issued with a Salvaged title like the USA.

15 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How would you know that the transmission of her car is "totally damage" [sic]?

Severe impacts like that can cause damage to a transmission that only later becomes apparent. Another reason for her to be given a new vehicle.

They can, but they don't always and there's no way of knowing in this case without speculation.   The car is almost two years old and, regardless of the damage, it doesn't not get anywhere near qualifying to be replaced with a new one, car insurance does not work that way and it will be insurers that are sorting this one out.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Bottom line, she entrusted them with a car that had zero damage.  She is owed back a car with zero damage. 

I agree, absolutely, sort of.   She is actually owed a car with the wear and tear of an almost two-year old car, the same as the one she left with them for the original body repair!    A properly repaired car would have zero damage after repair, by definition!

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

You are the first person to mention insurance. Curiously absent from the original news story unless this 'committee' that's refusing to be hosed is the insurance company. The new car, still being on finance, would have mandatory first class insurance, no?

"The new car, still being on finance, would have mandatory first class insurance, no?"

Her car was nowhere near being a new car and it was in that dealership for a body repair originally.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:
22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Have you actually read what her daft demands are?   A new car or a repair and the refund of her finance deposit and all her monthly payments to date!   Ridiculous.   Why would Nissan Japan have any interest in collision repair of a nearly two-year old car?

Because they give a siht? and they actually do in Japan.

She's not in Japan, the dealer's not in Japan, the car's not in Japan and the accident didn't happen in Japan.  Nissan Japan will have no interest in this because they will not give a <deleted>, as you so eloquently put it.

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, cdemundo said:

If the story is accurate, the dealership is 100% at fault.

Freaking ridiculous irresponsibility,  Literally unbelievable.

That seems to be the salient point, not age of the car.

Her demands seem no more daft than the daft actions of the dealership, 

Of course it will probably come down to the letter of the law.

But looking at the damage it looks like it was totaled and the dealership totaled it, so...

"But looking at the damage it looks like it was totaled and the dealership totaled it, so..."

...it will be up to the dealer's insurers to sort out.

"Her demands seem no more daft than the daft actions of the dealership".

Demanding a brand new car to replace her old one is daft as is admitting that she would be happy to take the repaired car as long as her initial deposit and every finance payment she has made since is paid to her!   That is daft.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, malt25 said:

Japan head office would be very interested in such appalling non-action from one of their dealers. I have little doubt pressure would be brought to bare by head office. BTW, I worked for a Japanese car manufacturer for some 6 years. Manufacturer, not dealership.

Good for you.  By the way, did you work bare [sic]?...

"pressure would be brought to bare [sic] by head office".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'd want the same she's asking, might be this lady's pride and joy and this isn't just a little shunt. I'm sure that after paying just sixteen payments I wouldn't accept it being bodged up who knows what it might have done to the steering and frame.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1