Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Hip Replacement setback.

DrJack54

On 8/22/2022 at 3:55 AM, chubby said:

yeah, this is the problem with saying anything without full assessment of a person .

medical history, meds, age, should be disclosed as a start, but then is what it is.

so are they going to incise and drain the hematoma ? anticoagulants are high risk meds

hematomas in upper legs can sometimes calcify fwiw

"anticoagulants are high risk meds"

Higher than  the risks  of the  conditions they treat?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2022 at 3:55 AM, chubby said:

yeah, this is the problem with saying anything without full assessment of a person .

medical history, meds, age, should be disclosed as a start, but then is what it is.

so are they going to incise and drain the hematoma ? anticoagulants are high risk meds

hematomas in upper legs can sometimes calcify fwiw

They don't drain haematomas anymore. They can be a real nidus of infection.

I see you haven't posted here on this topic, but are lively on others, so I will presume things are going well enough.

I just want to say -- although our hip replacements were of different circumstance -- that even 8 months now following the surgery, I am still walking with a noticeable limp and must go very S-L-O-W. 

But no pain. And swimming is not a problem but again I go slow.

So whatever the manner of recovery, this does not happen fast.

21 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

So whatever the manner of recovery, this does not happen fast

TBH haven't posted as didn't want to be too self serving.

My recovery was going great guns. 

Bit slower than perhaps a younger guy and better body size.

Actually I went to hospital today.

Saw 3 different doctors.

More X rays and blood tests.

They have put the blow out down to over doing the walking.

Just prior I was pushing it with walking holding stick in air.

Had departure flight to Oz and everything mapped out Aug 17.

Of course missed that.

I had bleeding I to muscle which I must say is extreme pain. 

After that had lot of bruising in unrelated areas and that was to do with anticoagulant.

There is also small hairline crack again they put down to too much exercise.

My walking with stich prior to blow-up was progressing well.

Now without stick huge limp and only take few steps. 

With stick can walk around now. 

Pic of bruising attached just for anyone interested is some things that can be thrown your way. Other areas were similar.

Today did not use wheelchair in hospital.

Good news is from the very start to now I have have VERY mild pain apart from the bleeding blowout.

Next trip to Oz in 11 weeks so hopefully can make that.

Shout out to PHYATHAI 1.

Fantastic hospital and staff.

Screenshot_20220829-083347~3.jpg

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 2

Very useful for anyone facing a hip replacement op to read this thread. All the stories you hear are of people coming out of he op saying how wonderful it is they can walk normally again (even had those stories relayed by family members who were living more closely to my mother when she had the op 20 years ago). Kinda makes you think that you should be 'pushing it' on the stick-less walking to get to that state.

Had my op at Bumrungrad a month ago. Paid an arm as well as my leg of course and all went smoothly and you gotta love the quality of their hospitality, but I'm going to take it a bit easier now I've read your story. Received a couple of sheets of paper on release with the same exercises I was doing in recovery for 5 days in hospital but no real guidance about pacing oneself, when to back off and warnings on the potential implications of pushing it too quickly.

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

I was doing in recovery for 5 days in hospital but no real guidance about pacing oneself, when to back off and warnings on the potential implications of pushing it too quickly.

Glad your recovery is going ok.

I don't know how much of it was over exercise or fact that due to previous DVT and PE my blood situation may have been big contributor.

Fact is they say listen to your body, which is all great but I felt great. 

Walking 3km a day up and down the corridors of my condo.

I did start to push it as my flight to Oz coming up.

I have another trip coming up Nov 17 and I'm taking it very easy.

Doing only one lap (50m) a few times a day.

Gone from walking in room unassisted (half of the time) to now needing stick for few steps to fridge. Sad look.

I also lost most of feeling in buttock and privates which is bit of a mind game, apparently will slowly back to normal. 

This was all from the bleeding in leg.

That pain was off the scale.

Oh I also have a small hairline fracture from over exercise. 

Not being negative but yes ..

Slow and steady wins the race.

Best of luck. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Glad your recovery is going ok.

I don't know how much of it was over exercise or fact that due to previous DVT and PE my blood situation may have been big contributor.

Fact is they say listen to your body, which is all great but I felt great. 

Walking 3km a day up and down the corridors of my condo.

I did start to push it as my flight to Oz coming up.

I have another trip coming up Nov 17 and I'm taking it very easy.

Doing only one lap (50m) a few times a day.

Gone from walking in room unassisted (half of the time) to now needing stick for few steps to fridge. Sad look.

I also lost most of feeling in buttock and privates which is bit of a mind game, apparently will slowly back to normal. 

This was all from the bleeding in leg.

That pain was off the scale.

Oh I also have a small hairline fracture from over exercise. 

Not being negative but yes ..

Slow and steady wins the race.

Best of luck. 

This thread is an informative read. I hope you feel better soon and make that next flight!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, chubby said:

just don't massage the leg at all, IMO for a few reasons

If I had to criticize one part of the whole hospital experience it would be lack of detailed instructions regarding rehab.

Meaning guidelines of "do,s and do nots"

Clearly I overdid it but at the same time was feeling fine and didn't feel I was pushing too hard.

Previously was doing 5 repeats of a hallway walk and that amounted to 250m 

Did that 10+ times per day.

Now I'm doing 2 reps which is 100m a few times a day.

Back to square 2. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If I had to criticize one part of the whole hospital experience it would be lack of detailed instructions regarding rehab.

This is the reason why in many Western European countries you will have professional rehab after this kind of operation for many weeks, often in specialized rehab hospitals.

In Thailand,  you are on your own,  which often defeats the purpose of the whole procedure. 

7 hours ago, Lorry said:

In Thailand,  you are on your own,  which often defeats the purpose of the whole procedure. 

Do not believe this is totally true as I know they have dedicated floors for rehab in the new bone surgery building at Vejthani Hospital.  Suspect other major hospitals are also doing.  There is also rehab at nursing home facilities here in Bangkok and suspect other larger cities.  It is available in an organized setting but suspect most prefer brief instructions and DIY at home rather than have to travel and expose any weakness to others. 

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

have dedicated floors for rehab in the new bone surgery building at Vejthani Hospital.  Suspect other major hospitals are also doing. 

Thx, first time I see something like this.

No, the usual international hospitals either have nothing similar or they do have but the quality is very poor (could give you 2 examples).

5 hours ago, Lorry said:

Thx, first time I see something like this.

No, the usual international hospitals either have nothing similar or they do have but the quality is very poor (could give you 2 examples).

Bangkok Hospital also has a dedicated building for rehab. I can't say as to what they do for hip replacements  but after my recent spinal surgery there I was seen by PT while still in hospital and also after discharge.

I agree quality of PT here is nto the same as in the west, though.