Man pilloried online for ramming car into students on zebra crossing

snoop1130

19 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

There can be a policeman in the zebra crossing telling the cars to stop and I've seen cars speed up.

Zero awareness, zero thinking, zero understanding of anything, and complete obvious that there are hundreds of kids walking around.   it's me, me, me!!!!

On the other hand, the policeman in the zebra crossing does nothing.    maybe a strange hand gesture, but that's it.

In America, you have about 10 cops and the SWAT team chasing rouge cars.   That's another story.  

Do cops in America chase only red cars?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

She said that the motorist did not stop at the crossing, even though a school official raised a red flag to indicate that the students could cross, adding however that, after the accident, the motorist did not even stop to help get the injured students to the nearest hospital, but drove straight to the Phaya Thai police station instead.

And, same again somewhere else tomorrow.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Thailand’s roads are among the deadliest in the world, and despite a high-profile case in January in which an eye doctor was killed while walking on a zebra crossing by a police officer on a large motorcycle in broad daylight, the problem persists.

As has been said on numerous occasions Thailand's problems stem for not having meaningful deterrents in place in the way of fines, confiscation of license/Bike or Car  or detention for any of the offences. They have no such reserves about holding a sea cucumber or catching fish for some strange reason,

Having nearly been runover by a crazy driver on a zebra crossing in Pattaya I’m sure that Thais have no idea! In the mid northern provinces where I live they run the stop signs and rarely care less about human life.

50 minutes ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

Having nearly been runover by a crazy driver on a zebra crossing in Pattaya I’m sure that Thais have no idea! In the mid northern provinces where I live they run the stop signs and rarely care less about human life.

I have seen many Thai drivers running the red lights just when the lights go from yellow to red. 

I've also seen this behaviour in some westerners driving on Thai roads doing the same.

So it's just not only Thai people.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

Obviously vehicles should stop at zebra crossings for pedestrians.

And it seems more and more drivers do that.

But recently I see another trend. It seems some pedestrians now think that they can always cross zebra crossings, even if there is a red light for the people and a green light for the traffic.

Some pedestrians seem to see the zebra stripes and just walk - now everybody has to stop for them.

I saw that now a couple of times. I don't know if that is a new trend and how common it is.

Before they implement zebra crossing laws they need to decide what a zebra crossing looks like and what part of the carriageway it covers. I'm sorry to say but the Thai interpretation  of a zebra crossing is up in the air.

Thailand's 'floating' pedestrian crossing forces drivers to stop -  WeirdNews - Dunya News         

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously vehicles should stop at zebra crossings for pedestrians.

And it seems more and more drivers do that.

But recently I see another trend. It seems some pedestrians now think that they can always cross zebra crossings, even if there is a red light for the people and a green light for the traffic.

Some pedestrians seem to see the zebra stripes and just walk - now everybody has to stop for them.

I saw that now a couple of times. I don't know if that is a new trend and how common it is.

As far as I am aware Zebra Crossings are not light controlled. Light controlled crossings may have stripes but they are not zebra crossings

19 minutes ago, RobU said:

As far as I am aware Zebra Crossings are not light controlled. Light controlled crossings may have stripes but they are not zebra crossings

So according to you a zebra crossing is a zebra crossing. But if someone adds a traffic light to it then it's a crossing with stripes and no zebra crossing anymore?

So how about if the light is broken or switched off? Is it then again a zebra crossing?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So according to you a zebra crossing is a zebra crossing. But if someone adds a traffic light to it then it's a crossing with stripes and no zebra crossing anymore?

So how about if the light is broken or switched off? Is it then again a zebra crossing?

????Golly that was a convoluted read. Nope its still a light controlled crossing the stripes are meaningless